Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Question about the black 360 S model.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

I found myself in a position recently where I need a 360 with wifi, and after doing the math I discovered that I can sell my old original 20 GB 360 and a couple games I never play for a price that would allow me to buy one of the newer black 360 S's for about half the difference I would have ended up paying to just go buy one of those over priced wifi adapters and sticking it on the back on my 360. The problem I have run into however is that my understanding is that the 360 S uses an HDMI cord but my TV only has one HDMI port and it is being used by my PS3. Does the 360 S only come with HDMI cables or does it have one of the other cables like the original one?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By colourful_hippie

It has the component cables, at least mine did back when I picked them up when they first came out.

Edit: It should definitely have them because I think they stopped stocking HDMI cables in them.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

HDMI is not included it's just component cables.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By audiosnow

It comes with composite cables.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.242343900?WT.mc_id=mercent&mr:trackingCode=F1E1F9C7-0E31-E111-B18D-001B21A69EB0&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:match={matchtype}&origin=pla&mr:filter=43476458947&mr:ad=15196483627&mr:keyword={keyword}

The component cables are sold as a separate accessory for $40.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/Xbox-360-Component-HD-AV-Cable/productID.229173600/vip.true

Your best option is probably to buy an HDMI switcher, particularly if you use your TV's speakers since component would require an RCA audio connection.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-High-Performance-Switcher-Switch/dp/B0015YWKYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351467687&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+switch

EDIT: Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I think the first run included component, as the posters above me have said, but they've since stopped. Probably due to HDMI's prevalence, just as Sony doesn't include mini-USB. It's pretty unfortunate.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crusader8463

@ChadMasterFlash: @Colourful_Hippie: Awesome! Thanks. Was worried I would have to get some kind of HDMI splitter adapter or have to do some kind of gymnastics to get behind my TV every time I wanted to change the two.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FritzDude

The piano finished S model came With both HDMI & Component cables. The regular sold today should come With standard composite A/V cables.

Never mind, you already got the answers you need.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crusader8463

@mlarrabee: Sigh, why does that not surprise me. Knew things where going too well.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By colourful_hippie

Ahh yes composite, not component. I forgot that they went really cheap on cables with the new systems.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Jeust

You can always connect the hdmi cable of your ps3 in the xbox 360.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crusader8463

@mlarrabee: Anyway, thanks for the tip. Looks like I'm going to need to buy an HDMI switcher and an HDMI cord.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crusader8463

@Jeust: I just don't want to need to swap cables. No matter where they are coming from. If I can't find an HDMI splitter on the cheap then I will sadly probably need to resort to that.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@crusader8463 said:

@Jeust: I just don't want to need to swap cables. No matter where they are coming from. If I can't find an HDMI splitter on the cheap then I will sadly probably need to resort to that.

They're not that expensive. I bought one earlier this year for like $10.
    Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

Yeah it was composite, I don't know the names of cables. I probably should have said the red, yellow and white one.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By audiosnow

@crusader8463:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=4956&seq=1&format=2

I'd go MonoPrice for the HDMI cable; I know Vinny swears by them, and under $3 for a 4-foot cable is insane.

As for the switcher, I used a cheap, little one before I got a receiver and it worked just fine. All they do is swap signals so graphic quality doesn't really change with price. It's kind of like buying RAM: nearly every brand will perform the same, but some will have more DOAs you'll have to exchange.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Jeust

@Turtlebird95 said:

@crusader8463 said:

you can buy one hdmi splitter cheap if you resort to one that you have to manually configure which hdmi device to play. The auto switchers are really expensive though.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaggE

Where are you getting a 360 S for the trade-in value of an original 360 and two games? I'd love to get in on that deal.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crusader8463

@ShaggE: I put an ad on the trading site kijiji.ca. It's like craigs list only a million times better and no killers have been found yet. My ad was simply:

Selling 20 GB 360 plus 4 games $200! Great X-Mas gift!
    Looking to sell my 360. It's in great shape and has been hardly used as I tend to play games on my PS3/PC. Comes with all the cords needed for it to run, the original box, 20 GB hard drive, and the one controller that came with it. I'm also willing to throw in these games to sweeten the deal:
    • The Simpsons Game
    • Dante's Inferno
    • Battlefield Bad Company
    • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
    If you are interested please send me an email.

And I got two emails from people looking to buy it tonight after only having it on there for a few days. The best offer was $150 and he would come to my house to buy it tomorrow. Trying to hold out for someone else that might be willing to give the full $200. Ether way, it's like $50-$60 for the wifi adapter so I can sell the system and some old games I will never play again and get a new system with the built in wifi and one that will probably last me longer as I got the 20 GB shortly after they came out. So if I can get the money then when I go to pick up my Vita pre-order on Tuesday I will just buy it all then.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crusader8463

@Jeust said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

@crusader8463 said:

you can buy one hdmi splitter cheap if you resort to one that you have to manually configure which hdmi device to play. The auto switchers are really expensive though.

I just did a search on amazon and found one that did it automatically for only $12. Will see what they have in store however. They are usually over priced.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By huntad

My 360 only came with COMPOSITE CABLES. Component cables are not the same thing, and it took some work to find component cables, because Microsoft doesn't seem to make them anymore. Still, why can't you just unplug the PS3 and hook up the 360 when you want to (vice versa)?

I didn't read all of the comments, so inform me if need be.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crusader8463

@huntad: My TV only has one HDMI port which is being used by my PS3. It's not the end of the world but its a pain in the ass I would rather not have if it can be avoided. If I can get an HDMI switcher and a HDMI cable on the cheap I will do that. Plus I would Imagine that the next consoles will use HDMI cables so I will need some kind of switcher at some point anyway.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShaggE

@crusader8463: Nice. I'm not about to ship a large package to Canada, but now that I know there are people still willing to pay that much for a launch model and some not-so-in-demand games, I might look around for a local buyer. It's high time I upgrade and not live in fear of the ol' RROD.

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tyxja

If you can get away with trading in your 360 sans component cables, those ones will work fine on the S.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.