Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Rage towards Microsoft about RAGE?

Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Echelon730

Well Quakecon came RAGE the game, then id Software game design demi god Carmack came out and said that the 360 might look worse than all other version of the game because of the size of DVD9 and that microsoft charges a lot for multi disc games.

Well this issue might be resolved with installs on the hard drive coming this fall or should they drop charges for multi discs for one game.

Thoughts or opinions??

IMO I think that they should drop/lower the cost multidisc games or release more details for the installations in the fall update

DazTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DazTheNinja

I think they will need to lower the cost of multidisc games - after all, not everyone's going to have a big enough hard drive to actually install the games on (20gb is quite small when you think of demos, arcade games, expansions etc. that are already on there) so it's only feasable really for people with the 120gb hard drive to install games.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

Yeah, it is definitely irksome. This is where incredible compression algorithms and mandatory installs come in, although Microsoft fucked their storage situations up so much that the day will never come.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By xruntime

I've never seen a game that took up an entire DVD. Whoa!

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By efrucht
    xruntime said:
    "I've never seen a game that took up an entire DVD. Whoa!
    "
    I hope this is a joke.... -_^

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeadWeezel

I am still happy to have my xbox, but I (like many others) saw this coming from the start.  Anyone who has been in computing for a while knows that there is never "enough storage".  Ever.

I remember seeing my first video online, was postage stamp sized, used a terrible codec (good at the time) and took an hour to download for a minute or so of video.  The next thing to improve was the codec, so the compression was better and the download was quicker, so then the internet sped up, so then the videos became bigger and went back to taking longer to download but for better quality..  Etc etc etc..

As soon as the next medium was available to consumers it was apparent DVD9 was no longer good for much outside current SD video, and anyone who paid attention to the tech side saw that HD-DVD was a bad format (next to Blu Ray) for data use.  The fault is Microsofts.  Just like the poor internal design.

Still.  I get Fable 2, Mass Effect 2 (I hope), Gears 2 and so on on my Xbox, and anything that needs more space I will just buy on another platform.  Such is life.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

efrucht said:
    "xruntime said:
    "
    I hope this is a joke.... -_^"

This. lol
    DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeadWeezel

Many games WOULD take up more than a DVD had there ever been an option to.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pause422

The problem would be also with that(as in the option to install on the HD) if t hey made that a design choice, they have to also take into consideration that not all 360 owners even have a HDD...other dev's have said this too and it really is a problem since its optional. Unfortunately it'll either be multidisc(but since its so much more money,even though microsoft has plenty of it and throws it around for everything else) if they refuse to have it on multiple discs, Carmack said they could want it compressed onto just one...which would make the visuals look even worse.  They really need to figure out what they're going to do, and dropping the price of making games on multiple discs isn't going to happen.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By LightYagami245
    xruntime said:
    "
    When a game DOESN'T take up the whole disc, the game usually has many glitches.
    Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By DragoonKain1687
    xruntime said:
    "
    ????? joke right?
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jayge_

Most developers are experts in compression and memory efficiency, thanks to Microsoft's backwardness.

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Why is it when a game is better on a different console everyone wants that game no matter if they know nothing about it. Personally I dont care about this game.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DragoonKain1687
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said:
    "Why is it when a game is better on a different console everyone wants that game no matter if they know nothing about it. Personally I dont care about this game."
    The game is on both consoles and PC, what we are discussing here is that Carmack showed us the game table of MS regarding multi disked games. In fact, Carmack is one of the most loved and respected DEVELOPERS in the gaming community. We also know that the game is a first person adventure, with special elements such as races where special skills will come into play, the ability to earn money to buy weapons and stuff and big map to explore.
    The game is not that it is going to be better on PS3, its just that MS wants to almost dry any developer who crosses the 2 disc mark.
    HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitNRun

Yeah, hopefully Carmack can make some noise and get MS policy changed, at least toward AAA titles.

The "charge more per disc to discourage multidisc games" strategy made sense when it looked like the PS3's Blu-Ray reader hardware would deliver a superior experience. MS didn't want 360 owners getting verbally teabagged by PS3 owners about the terrible, terrible inconvenience of changing discs once every ten hours.

Now that it's clear that the 360 came out ahead in that score due to so many high-end PS3 games having "installing" periods, MS should just drop or reduce the extra charge. Given the choice, most people will prefer swapping discs 1-2 times over the course of the entire game rather than wait 10-20 mins for installation anyway, so there's no point in MS maintaining an illusion that DVDs are just as good as Blu-Ray if it's going to cost them on the much more important front of graphical presentation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it is this bad now, how will it be in the future if MS has said they are committed to an around 10 year lifespan? Wonder how something like this would be fixed, really.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By LightYagami245
    Sentry said:
    "If it is this bad now, how will it be in the future if MS has said they are committed to an around 10 year lifespan? Wonder how something like this would be fixed, really."
    I would say the only thing possible is for the developers to protest this rule.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

If John Tarmatt is going to destroy his own sales of the 360 game by saying it is inferior, then by God he needs to give it a discount. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste money buying it until it finds its way into the $5 bargain bin.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Meh, Microsoft might as well change to Blue Ray.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Jolly_Lolly said:
    "Meh, Microsoft might as well change to Blue Ray."
    I'm sure they're console cycle will end sooner than expected and switch to Blue Ray.
    Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Echelon730

I honestly think that they will allow something like a discount on multi discs games or will dish out the details for the installation feature for the fall update

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rowr
    nailerr said:
    "I am still happy to have my xbox, but I (like many others) saw this coming from the start.  Anyone who has been in computing for a while knows that there is never "enough storage".  Ever.

I remember seeing my first video online, was postage stamp sized, used a terrible codec (good at the time) and took an hour to download for a minute or so of video.  The next thing to improve was the codec, so the compression was better and the download was quicker, so then the internet sped up, so then the videos became bigger and went back to taking longer to download but for better quality..  Etc etc etc..

As soon as the next medium was available to consumers it was apparent DVD9 was no longer good for much outside current SD video, and anyone who paid attention to the tech side saw that HD-DVD was a bad format (next to Blu Ray) for data use.  The fault is Microsofts.  Just like the poor internal design.

Still.  I get Fable 2, Mass Effect 2 (I hope), Gears 2 and so on on my Xbox, and anything that needs more space I will just buy on another platform.  Such is life.
    "
    ``640K of memory should be enough for anybody.''
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By RHCPfan24

I wouldn't mind a multi disc game if it looked nice that way, but by the time it comes out I probably will have gotten a PS3 anyway.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rowr

seems like the sort of game you upgrade your computer ridiculously for anyway. Hopefully ive got some spare change around that time.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Dont know This is the same john carmack that said the 360 is superior in every other way to the ps3. and here is exactly how inferior the 360 version is going to look :)

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26531669

Which cites the source:
    http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/08/07/carmack_interview/

"TG: But you also said that Rage will look a lot better on the PS3.

JOHN CARMACK: Well, "a lot better" may be stretching it. All of the key scenes, the things anyone is going to take a screenshot of are going to look exactly the same on both platforms. They'll get the high quality compression. But if you go into some areas in the wasteland, like behind a fence where nobody will typically go and explore, this is where the 360 version may look a little blurry compared to the PS3. "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.