Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

repair fee or new xbox?

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GoodKn1ght

So my disk drive is making a god awful sound and is on the verge of failing, and guess what it's 3 days out of warranty today. Granted it's my problem, the noise has existed for a while I was just to stubborn to call support which they would have fixed it for free. Anyways my dumb decisions aside, it's 99 bucks to repair a 360. To me, since it's half a new 4gb, I think I should just buy a new one and put my hard drive in. Any suggestions? 200 dollars wouldn't hurt me to much as I'm saving money for a gaming rig, however if I buy a new one it means my pc will probably not have that solid state drive or blu ray disk drive (I know, but I watch a lot of movies and planed on ripping all of them, I don't like torrenting)

So what would you do in this situation?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By big_jon

I'd get it fixed if it's a slim.

turner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By turner

if you dont mind waiting for it to get fixed i would just do that

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jazzycola

@big_jon: He said it's out of the 3 year warranty which means its impossible for it to be the new slim 360

I'd just get a new 360. Having new hardware that has another year warranty and isn't known to break vs getting a refurbished unit back(in 2 to 5 weeks) from MS with a 3 month warranty, trusting MS's repair center, and having a 360 that is known for a large failure rate.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

It's gonna cost 100 more dollars to buy a new one than to get your existing, older one fixed. You can look at your old one as a HDD/Netflix only device instead of a total loss in case you buy a new one.

However I don't think you can use an older 360 HDD with a 360S. You can only transfer the contents. If you have less than 4GB of stuff, sure why not? But I doubt that if you've owned your other 360 for more than 3 years.

Helli6n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Helli6n

I'd sell it for parts on ebay and add that towards a new xbox slim.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jazzycola

@MrKlorox: Well that's solved with your ability to use USB sticks of 8 gigs or 16 gigs for game installs. Also there are guides on how to replace you new slim 360 4gig hdd with your old 360 hdd if needed.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By HellBrendy

I'd get a new one. Getting a slim after a three yeard old Xbox 360 is quite the upgrade, and just repairing it won't be that much of a difference. Also, new guarantee. 

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By McGhee

I had an original 360 fixed and it broke again a couple weeks later. Don't pay for that shit.

martinmazda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By martinmazda

Im getting a slim one cheaper than having the old one repaired

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#11  Edited By alistercat

Just know that you can't use original Xbox360 drives with the new Xbox360 model, so best get one with the 250GB hard drive.

RoseAndThorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RoseAndThorn

Id say get a new one, that way you have new warranty and a fresh new system. Because even If you pay to fix it, what if it messes up again? thats another 99 out your pocket so might as well get the new one. You can always rip dvds later, or even use someone elses computer, if they have what youre saving up for. Simple.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.