Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Worth picking up a 360?

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yukoei

Its 2012 and the next gen is starting soon so I am not sure whether to but a 360 now or wait for next gen to buy microsofts new console.

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By jinxman

It's 2012?  Holy shit, did I go into a coma for 2 years?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax
    @Yukoei said:
    " Its 2012
    Whoa son, where did you get the time travel machine?
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

2012 already? SHIT that was a good party on Friday. 

But seriously, yeah the xbox is cheap enough, and companies said they're not looking to roll new consoles out in a 5 year cycle like they used to. I feel like these guys have a few good years left in them for certain. We're just getting started. 

Also there's a huuge back-catalog of games you should check out anyway.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By cstrang

Uh... what?  Did I Rip VanWinkle through two years?  By my count it's 2010.  And new console development is still pretty far off.  I would spend the money for a 360.  I rather enjoy mine.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yukoei
    @jinxman said:
    " It's 2012?  Holy shit, did I go into a coma for 2 years? "
    No its not 2012...your point is?
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By Little_Socrates

First of all, it's definitely not 2012. 

Second, yeah, I'd say that it's still worth it to get an Xbox 360. There's plenty available for it so that it's worth it (I really, really don't feel like making a "good games list" without knowing your tastes), and there's still more to come. That said, picking between that and a PS3 is a very hard call, and is merely a matter of preference.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Isn't it similar to a pc, except with the exception of gears of war 2, halo 3 and forza 2? With worser graphics and you have to pay for online? That's my opinion.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yukoei
    \@HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Isn't it similar to a pc, except with the exception of gears of war 2, halo 3 and forza 2? With worser graphics and you have to pay for online? That's my opinion.

"
    This is sorta off topic but do you mind checking out my Rate my PC thread again? I need some help.
    jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jinxman

Get a 360.  I love my 360, and even though i've lost count of how many i've had break and got replaced for free, i still stand by it as the best console of this generation.  Plenty of exclusives, and a lot of multiplatform games are better on the 360 (Bayonetta for example).  Great online, totally worth the 50 a year.  Nice controller.  All in all, great console.  And no, I'm not a fanboy, I have a Wii and a Ps2 that I like just fine, I just like my 360 more.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Coombs

Well, Get both.
    I'm not rich and I am on my second 360 and will be buying the next one on launch day (though I hope it's not soon)
    The way I look at it is this 360 is going to cost you what? $200?

If you play 2 hours a day, 3 days a week, Thats 6 hours a week.
    You play it until the new one comes out, Lets say 2012, Thats 104 weeks.
    For a total play time of 624 hours.  
    Thats 32 cents an hour.  
    Where are you going to get cheaper more enjoyable entertainment than that?

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yukoei
    @Coombs said:
    " Well, Get both. I'm not rich and I am on my second 360 and will be buying the next one on launch day (though I hope it's not soon) The way I look at it is this 360 is going to cost you what? $200?  If you play 2 hours a day, 3 days a week, Thats 6 hours a week. You play it until the new one comes out, Lets say 2012, Thats 104 weeks. For a total play time of 624 hours.   Thats 32 cents an hour.   Where are you going to get cheaper more enjoyable entertainment than that? "
    A playstation 3?  

:P
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Coombs
    @Yukoei said:
    " @Coombs said:
    " Well, Get both. I'm not rich and I am on my second 360 and will be buying the next one on launch day (though I hope it's not soon) The way I look at it is this 360 is going to cost you what? $200?  If you play 2 hours a day, 3 days a week, Thats 6 hours a week. You play it until the new one comes out, Lets say 2012, Thats 104 weeks. For a total play time of 624 hours.   Thats 32 cents an hour.   Where are you going to get cheaper more enjoyable entertainment than that? "
    A playstation 3?   :P "
    Well if that's your preference,
    Mine is 360, And the OP is talking about the 360.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yukoei
    @Coombs said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " @Coombs said:
    Well if that's your preference, Mine is 360, And the OP is talking about the 360. "
    I am the OP and I was joking xD I just wanted to see someone fanboy reaction :P
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Coombs
    @Yukoei said:

" @Coombs said:

" @Yukoei said:
    " @Coombs said:
    Well if that's your preference, Mine is 360, And the OP is talking about the 360. "
    I am the OP and I was joking xD I just wanted to see someone fanboy reaction :P "
    Oh, I don't pay enough attention.
    & I'm sorry to disappoint, I'm a fan, But not a fanboy
    lol
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikkaQ

I'm a fanboy of being rich, and I say only newbs don't own everything ever. So suck on that one.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy

360's have been worth it since 2007. You should really get one, the variety and list of games is so expansive.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Coombs
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " I'm a fanboy of being rich, and I say only newbs don't own everything ever. So suck on that one. "
    Well, Give me some money then Mr.Rich
    I will happily go out and buy a PS3 with it.  
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By shirogane

The arcade is really cheap, if you don't care about all that extra stuff, and is well worth it really. 

Still a good console, although i'd personally go for a ps3 if i had a choice between the 2. My 360 hasn't had much usage lately, ps3 has gotten some action though. However, the majority of users on here seem to like the 360 more.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Yukoei
    @Shirogane said:
    " The arcade is really cheap, if you don't care about all that extra stuff, and is well worth it really.  Still a good console, although i'd personally go for a ps3 if i had a choice between the 2. My 360 hasn't had much usage lately, ps3 has gotten some action though. However, the majority of users on here seem to like the 360 more. "
    I already have a PS3, a wii and a high end gaming PC so I am not sure what to do.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By agentboolen

Yea go for it 2 years and who even knows for sure if the next gen systems will be out in 2012... With the way the economy is acting we might be waiting longer then usual, but who knows I could also be wrong on that lol

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shirogane
    @Yukoei said:
    " @Shirogane said:
    " The arcade is really cheap, if you don't care about all that extra stuff, and is well worth it really.  Still a good console, although i'd personally go for a ps3 if i had a choice between the 2. My 360 hasn't had much usage lately, ps3 has gotten some action though. However, the majority of users on here seem to like the 360 more. "
    I already have a PS3, a wii and a high end gaming PC so I am not sure what to do. "

Well, in that case, if you have the money to spend go for it. I don't think we'll be seeing new consoles for a while. And even if you don't end up using it that much, the feeling of having all 3 consoles of the current generation is pretty awesome.
    Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ApertureSilence
    @Yukoei: Holy shit, it's 2012 already? Better get the fuck out of California right away! 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, I think you should definitely get one. Next-gen is much further away than you think. All the companies are planning on extending the life of these current consoles as long as they can. Microsoft has already announced that because of Natal, they're not releasing a new console anytime soon.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By ColinWright

Yup.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Time_Lord

I should really cut back on the drinking if its 2012 where did those 2 years go. And we havent seen any sign of the new consoles yet there at least two years away and buying a 360 id say no I use my PS3 way more.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lashe

Go for it. It's not too much of an investment if you don't want it to be -- buy the lowest end model and if the console fits your tastes you can always upgrade the HDD and use it more extensively. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Diamond

If you're a gamer and you have the money, the 360 is a must own.  It might not be as packed with high quality exclusives as a PS3 but it's up there.  Next gen is still at least a few years off and there's no saying if there will be 100% backwards compatibility.

It all depends on how much of a gamer you are.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Coombs said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:
    " I'm a fanboy of being rich, and I say only newbs don't own everything ever. So suck on that one. "
    Well, Give me some money then Mr.Rich I will happily go out and buy a PS3 with it.   "

Well the problem is, all my money is currently tied up in Nigerian-based investments, but don't worry, i'll be totally rich soon! 
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pause422

To me, there isn't anything great on the 360 coming out this year that's exclusive. I have an interest in Metro 2033 and Mass Effect 2, both which I will be getting on PC, and I don't give a shit in the least bit about Halo Reach, so speaking of this years releases? I don't really find it necessary to do it. A good amount of games coming out are multiplatform. But once more, this is a thread where asking others of their opinions isn't really helping you much...figure out what you may or may not like, and if its exclusive and YOU see a reason to get it, get it, its really not worth it to base your decision on other peopels opinions and suggestions.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31  Edited By Cerza

Well, I went through 3 360's in 2 years and won't buy another one unless they do a redesign that fixes the shitty hardware, but I'd be lieing if I said I didn't miss the 360. So yea getting one is worth it, but get two when you go to buy a 360 so you have one to play when the first one breaks, which it will. Also, I suggest waiting until after E3 since you never know what is going to be announced there and there's plenty of games coming out to keep anyone occupied until then.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I think we're at a point now where it's definately worth having both a PS3 and a 360.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By sopranosfan

2012 damn I knew Dragon Age was long but I had no idea it would suck 2 years out of my life.  But in all seriousness all consoles are worth their asking price.  If half the games Nintendo's promising come out this winter I may even dust off the old Wii this year.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#34  Edited By citizenkane

2 years is a long wait.  Get an Xbox 360 now and you won't regret it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iam3green

yes, it is worth getting a 360. there are some great games that are cheap to buy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.