Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Xbox 360 Dashboard Update Hits Snag, Details Incoming [UPDATED]

• 159 results
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#101  Edited By jakob187

Like many others, I keep trying to download the update on some of the Xbox stations at work, and it says that they can't connect.

Meanwhile, there are Xbox stations that apparently downloaded the update somehow someway I don't know how it happened, and those Xbox stations...won't connect to Xbox Live.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By myke_tuna

Cool. So no one else can connect either. It makes me feel good that others writhe in this misery alongside me. I almost got the update, but then it said there was a problem with my connection.

I finally forwarded those Xbox Live ports though. So that's good. Now I play the waiting game.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#103  Edited By yukoasho

@Napalm said:

Holy shit. They added in a "history" tab. Now you can see everything you've ever downloaded. Shocking!

That's been in the mini-blades for a while, but yeah, it's nice to see it better exposed. The easier it is to get to shit, the better.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#104  Edited By mesoian

Okay, looks like Live is down completely

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By xyzygy

Live is having a service alert. It will most likely be gone in a little bit. They just drastically changed the UI of the console. My god it looks nice.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By mesoian

yatta! Back online! Live should be back up now guys. You'll have to accept the new EULA though

bigdc666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107  Edited By bigdc666

@briangodsoe: disconnected my HDD and the system booted up but when i try to boot with my hard drive stays locked up on the title screen...lame!!!

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#108  Edited By big_jon

Still no update...

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#109  Edited By godzilla_sushi

I'm very relieved that you all have my error. Xbox.com/Support is super slow too.

I wish I knew more about how it all worked. In my head, it's just barely enough to get by for Microsoft, and they barely keep Live stable to save a buck.

Oh man, maybe we will get sweet copies of Undertow!!!!!!

Pitta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Pitta

@Cyrisaurus: dumbass

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Barrock

Got disconnected, notified there was a game update, now it's endlessly signing in.

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By djstyles92

I keep getting an error code whenever the update prompt comes up

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By big_jon

I'm online, nothing is happening.

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By GTCknight

I can't connect to live and all I get is this status code: 3524-0000-0080-0200-8015-1909

What the hell is happening to everything. Oh well in mean time I'll just Mass Effect.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Barrock

Whatever you do, don't download that Sci-Fi app. It's nothing but clips. -_-

HKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By HKZ

Update went perfectly fine for me, and all I've is got a shitty and cluttered interface to show for it. It's a huge mess, Netflix app is garbage and I can't find anything quickly. You have to drill down into the tiles to find anything and most of it is already broken. Day 1 releases should be flawless, especially since it's a paid for service. What a waste of an update, it's made everything too complicated and cluttered. Why am I paying for a Gold membership to pipe already paid for content into a box that has a shitty user interface again? I'm not renewing my Gold anymore, I don't like paying for access to content twice in an interface that's utter shit. What a waste of a system. I guess I'll go get a Roku or Boxee box because this thing just got completely worthless to me. Piss poor peripheral support was bad, no Blu-Ray and now this? This nailed the coffin shut. Hard.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#117  Edited By Dagbiker
    @big_jon

This is how I feel everyday
    tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#118  Edited By tactis

got the update to work, I like it. It is neat that MS reinvents the console this way every couple of years, makes it feel newer.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By big_jon

@Dagbiker said:

@big_jon

This is how I feel everyday

I feel that way every night.... If you catch my drift.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Barrock

@HKZ said:

Update went perfectly fine for me, and all I've is got a shitty and cluttered interface to show for it. It's a huge mess, Netflix app is garbage and I can't find anything quickly. You have to drill down into the tiles to find anything and most of it is already broken. Day 1 releases should be flawless, especially since it's a paid for service. What a waste of an update, it's made everything too complicated and cluttered. Why am I paying for a Gold membership to pipe already paid for content into a box that has a shitty user interface again? I'm not renewing my Gold anymore, I don't like paying for access to content twice in an interface that's utter shit. What a waste of a system. I guess I'll go get a Roku or Boxee box because this thing just got completely worthless to me. Piss poor peripheral support was bad, no Blu-Ray and now this? This nailed the coffin shut. Hard.

You forgot that it plays video games.

tangmcgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By tangmcgame

@GTCknight said:

I can't connect to live and all I get is this status code: 3524-0000-0080-0200-8015-1909

What the hell is happening to everything. Oh well in mean time I'll just Mass Effect.

Same. Microsoft is really nailing the unimpressive preparation key points this month.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#123  Edited By briangodsoe

Got it. It's a bit messy but I like it. Having all the ads compressed into a box instead of a row that gets shoved in your face when all you want to do is play Skyrim is nice. I like the idea of beacons too. Maybe now I can find somebody to play Peace Walker with.

vmehnert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By vmehnert

Is it too much to ask for a "select all" button when moving cloud saves ?

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By AngeTheDude

The new EULA waives your right to class action lawsuits with NO way to opt out. This is fucking disgusting.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By xyzygy

Don't get why people are calling this "messy". It's so organized and things are fucking easy to find and get to. Gamers really like to complain about the stupidest shit. It looks fantastic, gotta love the Metro UI.

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By djstyles92

@xyzygy said:

Don't get why people are calling this "messy". It's so organized and things are fucking easy to find and get to. Gamers really like to complain about the stupidest shit. It looks fantastic, gotta love the Metro UI.

This. I'm really liking this update

HKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By HKZ

@Barrock: Does it? Because from what I see on the first screen are huge goddamn advertisements and a tiny little box where my copy of F1 2010 shows up. For a gaming console, they sure highlight every other goddamn thing it can do other than play games. I like playing games on it, but they have made it harder to do with this update. 90% of what you see in this update is shit they want to sell you, or content you've already paid to access and Microsoft charges a yearly fee to access on hardware you've already bought and paid for. The games I have are fun, but with their stupid ass peripheral support getting worse and worse as time goes on and their insistance of charging for content that publishers want to give away for free (Valve), I'm almost done with this console. I'd love to play a great racing game on my 46" TV with a wheel, but I can't unless I buy a shit wheel they sell, or I pony up more than the cost of the console for a good one. Bullshit.

Maybe this will grow on me, but my first impressions are that this is a garbage update and a shitty interface made solely to sell you shit. I already pay for Netflix and ESPN3, why does Microsoft see the need to charge me to access it through the hardware I've already bought? Paying for the same content twice is bullshit. This update was designed to sell you and me more bullshit, not improve the gaming on it. If that was the design of this update then they'd let publishers release content for free to the customer. They'd also not hide the gaming tiles behind the huge tiles with their newly acquired content deals. They'd release USB driver updates to allow other hardware makers to sell peripherals that work with it. Charge em a license fee, whatever. Just allow them to release other things that just shit wheels and no pedals or release a combo that doesn't cost $400 for a decent rig. The Xbox isn't about gaming anymore, it's about content deals and Microsofts slice of the money pie of content they don't produce or pipe to you but allow you to access through their hardware. Xbox Live is fantastic for multiplayer and that's the only thing it should be for, games. Nothing else.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By ravensword

Still not getting the update.

HKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By HKZ

@xyzygy: My parents could find anything they needed to use. Now? They fucking hate it because of all the mismatched tile sizes and general clutter of the interface. If it isn't easy for you to navigate the same way you use to, or even easier, it's a step backwards. It's not intuitive at all at first glance. I found out by accident that switching the contents of the bigger tiles uses the right analog stick. I didn't know that the last 10 things you've accessed were in the lower most lefthand tile on the start screen. I thought that was the spots for games only. That isn't intuitive. I though the headers at the top were true to their names. Games, social, media, etc. Finding UI stuff on accident is a humongous fail. Maybe it'll grow on me, but not being immediately intuitive is a huge step back.

JDillinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By JDillinger

Hey guys, if you accepted the new TOS you just agreed to not enter into a class action lawsuit against Microsoft. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/legal/livetou Section 18.1.4

18.1.4.BINDING ARBITRATION. IF YOU LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES, YOU AND MICROSOFT AGREE THAT IF YOU AND MICROSOFT DO NOT RESOLVE ANY DISPUTE BY INFORMAL NEGOTIATION UNDER SECTION18.1.2ABOVE, ANY EFFORT TO RESOLVE THE DISPUTE WILL BE CONDUCTED EXCLUSIVELY BY BINDING ARBITRATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE ARBITRATION PROCEDURES IN SECTION18.1.7BELOW. YOU UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT BY AGREEING TO BINDING ARBITRATION, YOU ARE GIVING UP THE RIGHT TO LITIGATE (OR PARTICIPATE IN AS A PARTY OR CLASS MEMBER) ALL DISPUTES IN COURT BEFORE A JUDGE OR JURY. INSTEAD, YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ALL DISPUTES WILL BE RESOLVED BEFORE A NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR, WHOSE AWARD (DECISION) WILL BE BINDING AND FINAL, EXCEPT FOR A LIMITED RIGHT OF APPEAL UNDER THE FEDERAL ARBITRATION ACT.ANY COURT WITH JURISDICTION OVER THE PARTIES MAY ENFORCE THE ARBITRATOR'S AWARD.
    kirklebum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By kirklebum

I just downloaded the update and ran into the issue where it seemed to drop mid-download and I rebooted and reinstalled the update. It worked so I went to play Skyrim and now it won't let me load the saved game. It says "This save game was created on a later version of Skyrim. Please download any updates."

Is anyone else having a similar problem?

I figured it out and it wasn't patch related, I just cleared my cache so I have to redownload an update for Skyrim. Nevermind.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By zFUBARz

I had to restart my xbox about 4 times for it to update the dashboard, then the kinect, then the TOS, then one more time and it finally connected.

Then I tried to use a marketplace and wouldn't you know it, I immediately got disconnected from live and now I can't get back on.

Why the fuck can't ANY company get shit like this right?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By xyzygy
    @HKZ said:

@xyzygy: My parents could find anything they needed to use. Now? They fucking hate it because of all the mismatched tile sizes and general clutter of the interface. If it isn't easy for you to navigate the same way you use to, or even easier, it's a step backwards. It's not intuitive at all at first glance. I found out by accident that switching the contents of the bigger tiles uses the right analog stick. I didn't know that the last 10 things you've accessed were in the lower most lefthand tile on the start screen. I thought that was the spots for games only. That isn't intuitive. I though the headers at the top were true to their names. Games, social, media, etc. Finding UI stuff on accident is a humongous fail. Maybe it'll grow on me, but not being immediately intuitive is a huge step back.

The update just came out today. You can't expect to instantly off the bat know where everything is. 

Also, I fail to see how the features you mentioned are negative in ANY way. If you want to watch a movie... GO TO VIDEO. If you want music, GO TO MUSIC. It's so simple. Gaming is under games, etc. 

Also, that bottom left tile on the start screen doesn't have the ten last played items, it's just random images of box art from different games that flash. WP7 does the exact same thing with the People Hub, it flashes facebook and twitter (if you have it connected) display profiles of randoms in your friends list. 

I think finding UI things on "accident" is not a fail, they're just neat little things that they threw into the UI which are not incredibly massively important features. You are looking much too hard into this.
    mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#135  Edited By mostman

Let's get something clear right off - its not a game console anymore. It's a media center that can also play games. Seriously. The next XBox is rumored to be announced at CES. Ask yourself why. Why not E3? Because games are no longer primary. That's just the market. So, while it sucks, stop acting surprised that the game functionality has been reduced to a citizen of the XBox.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried to update, but I guess Live is down. Oh well. What irritates me about that, is the error message I get is: "There is a problem with your connection," not "Our service is experiencing downtime" or whatever. That's not a problem with my connection, it's the opposite.

Gah. Oh well, no big deal. Just a little irritation I wanted to share with the world.

jbuchan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By jbuchan76

oh so typical Microsoft.. why am i not surprised. EPIC FAIL!!!!!!

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#138  Edited By RichardLOlson

Wow the new dashboard is nice.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#139  Edited By Brackynews

@zFUBARz said:

Why the fuck can't ANY company get shit like this right?

The simple, unsexy answer is, because there's no precedent to get it right.

This isn't patching firmware on your phone when you decide to click a button. This is upgrading 35 Million Computers in one day to a new operating system. No that isn't the real number, but it is in fact the potential number they have to consider as 100% capacity.

You can't just hire a duder with that on his or her resume. Just like you can't hire a duder who knows how to make Call of Duty Elite work, because it's the first time in the history of consumer software a system like that has been built. That's what "record-breaking sales" means. It's an untested scenario that is more complex to solve than just tripling some numbers from a beta. All software is imperfect, all software buckles under sufficient pressure. It only takes one link in the chain to fail.

I think the Xbox team does alright. But I'm also not a Gold member right now so I don't care all that much, as long as my machine plays games! Caveat emptor.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#140  Edited By mariokart64fan

18.1.4.BINDING ARBITRATION. IF YOU LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES, YOU AND MICROSOFT AGREE THAT IF YOU AND MICROSOFT DO NOT RESOLVE ANY DISPUTE BY INFORMAL NEGOTIATION UNDER SECTION18.1.2ABOVE, ANY EFFORT TO RESOLVE THE DISPUTE WILL BE CONDUCTED EXCLUSIVELY BY BINDING ARBITRATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE ARBITRATION PROCEDURES IN SECTION18.1.7BELOW. YOU UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT BY AGREEING TO BINDING ARBITRATION, YOU ARE GIVING UP THE RIGHT TO LITIGATE (OR PARTICIPATE IN AS A PARTY OR CLASS MEMBER) ALL DISPUTES IN COURT BEFORE A JUDGE OR JURY. INSTEAD, YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ALL DISPUTES WILL BE RESOLVED BEFORE A NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR, WHOSE AWARD (DECISION) WILL BE BINDING AND FINAL, EXCEPT FOR A LIMITED RIGHT OF APPEAL UNDER THE FEDERAL ARBITRATION ACT.ANY COURT WITH JURISDICTION OVER THE PARTIES MAY ENFORCE THE ARBITRATOR'S AWARD. ya well blame sony! they started this crap

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By mesoian

@mariokart64fan said:

18.1.4.BINDING ARBITRATION. IF YOU LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES, YOU AND MICROSOFT AGREE THAT IF YOU AND MICROSOFT DO NOT RESOLVE ANY DISPUTE BY INFORMAL NEGOTIATION UNDER SECTION18.1.2ABOVE, ANY EFFORT TO RESOLVE THE DISPUTE WILL BE CONDUCTED EXCLUSIVELY BY BINDING ARBITRATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE ARBITRATION PROCEDURES IN SECTION18.1.7BELOW. YOU UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT BY AGREEING TO BINDING ARBITRATION, YOU ARE GIVING UP THE RIGHT TO LITIGATE (OR PARTICIPATE IN AS A PARTY OR CLASS MEMBER) ALL DISPUTES IN COURT BEFORE A JUDGE OR JURY. INSTEAD, YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ALL DISPUTES WILL BE RESOLVED BEFORE A NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR, WHOSE AWARD (DECISION) WILL BE BINDING AND FINAL, EXCEPT FOR A LIMITED RIGHT OF APPEAL UNDER THE FEDERAL ARBITRATION ACT.ANY COURT WITH JURISDICTION OVER THE PARTIES MAY ENFORCE THE ARBITRATOR'S AWARD. ya well blame sony! they started this crap

Plus it's not legally binding anyway, so whatever.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#142  Edited By Skald

They should put more emphasis on playing disc games. That square is really tiny now.

HKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By HKZ
    @xyzygy: Yeah, it'll grow on me I'm sure. It could be useful it was just a shock at first. I'm sure in two weeks the UI won't matter anymore, but I'm still pissed about all the other stuff. XD
    joeq1159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By joeq1159

Does anyone else find it strange that there is a World of Warcraft advertisement in the music section of the new X-Box Live dashboard. This is the first time I've seen an Advertisement for a game that is not available at all on the 360. Its just really... weird.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Dany

@Skald said:

They should put more emphasis on playing disc games. That square is really tiny now.

Well, at least you are hovering it, instead of an ad. That plus quickplay being directly under it is quite an improvement.

aldo_q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By aldo_q

I had good hopes for this update, but quickly checking it out a few moments ago I can't say anything but that the nay-sayers may have been fully correct this time arround. Why is every pane filled with at least 3 blocks of advertisements, incl. the huge middle block? To play a game you need to go to the small side panels. Really well done Microsoft. Because honestly, I bought an Xbox and have a gold subscription mainly to get advertising? Seriously..

Also not enjoying the new way games are shown. The quick play option is too limited when you have lots of games, and the total overview is always alphabised. I loved the way all games used to be shown on order last booted. I can understand people wanting it differently, but perhaps give us the option now?

The cloud stuff looks good, having multiple Xbox's in the house however. Everything else feels like you need to do more steps to get somewhere and everything being way more hidden in submenu's of submenu's. Perhaps nice for Kinect... But hey guess what, I'm a gamer... not a Kinect user.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Dany

@Aldo_Q: Quickplay does show your recent 10 games/apps. Yes looking for something old kind of stinks. You start in "play game" with quickplay under. The adverts for stuff on the service, I don't know why people feel so incensed about it, they do have small ads for items unrelated to the marketplace but so far most of the ads are of stuff you can buy

aldo_q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By aldo_q

@Dany: My main issue with the adds is that the first panel exists out of this:

1 small right panel for the game in my Xbox

1 small right panel for quickplay

1 HUGE middle pannel with commercials

2 small left panels with commercials.

Yes it's for marketplace stuff, but isn't the main function of the Xbox to do stuff you want like: play games, watch movies, etc.? So shouldn't the core functionality be in the huge middle pannel? There are more panels dedicated to commercials and the commercial panels are bigger (1) and more centralised for your field of vision then what you actually want to do.

This has clearly been done explcitly to sell you stuff, but is exceptionally user unfriendly and just arrogant of Microsoft. And yeah, that does kinda piss me off. And I seriously had high hopes for this update. A commercial section on the side no problem at all. But more commercials and bigger and more in your face then the actuall functionallity?

Imagine Giantbomb's pages being covered 80% in big advertisments and banners and somewhere small on the side you can find the story or movie you actually want to read or watch? Wouldn't make you happy and prob. switch to another website for your gaming news. Even if the content was good. Simple because the good content is being overshadowed by a massive ammount of commercials. Even if those would all be gaming commercials. And Giantbomb is at least free for normal use, an Xbox you at least need to have bought.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Eyz

again??

(or rather...so soon already? )

Paulrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#150  Edited By Paulrus

I just want the YouTube app already.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.