Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Xbox 360 update = Broken Disc Drive ?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ramone

Ever since the recent 360 update my disc drive has become almost completely unable to read game discs. Does anyone think these two events could be linked? Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat  Online

A previous update rendered older models unable to read discs, and in that case Microsoft will replace them with a new slim model. The newest update shouldn't have done that. Ring microsoft support.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By McGhee

I suspected that a previous update had red ringed my Halo 3 edition 360 a while back. But I never heard anything about Microsoft admitting it was their fault and that they would replace the 360. That sucks because it is too late for me now since I trashed it upon buying the new model.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Juicebox
    @AlisterCat said:

A previous update rendered older models unable to read discs, and in that case Microsoft will replace them with a new slim model. The newest update shouldn't have done that. Ring microsoft support.

True.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat  Online

@McGhee_the_Insomniac: It didn't apply to the Halo 3 editions. It was certain early xbox's with specific disc drives, and I don't think the special edition had them. Maybe just a coincidence.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By McGhee

@AlisterCat said:

@McGhee_the_Insomniac: It didn't apply to the Halo 3 editions. It was certain early xbox's with specific disc drives, and I don't think the special edition had them. Maybe just a coincidence.

It is possible it was a coincidence. But I had never had a single problem with that XBOX and the date of May for that update sounds like it was exactly the right time. I updated and instantly after the restart upon seeing the 360 logo the screen went black and I had the red rings. It never worked again.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By buft

useless fact: none of my xboxs ever red ringed when i was without internet, every time i got a red ring was when i moved into a new place and it had cable, i had my launch 360 for 2 years problem free and about 2 months after i got broadband in it was red ringed was this coincidence? nope, i was just playing the crap out of my online games and wasting the terrible solder.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By WightnNerdy

I had the same problem with my first Xbox 360. It just randomly started to not read disks and I had to send it in to Microsoft just like it had the RRoD (but it didn't obviously). It took about 3 weeks. My second break was the RRoD around a year later and it took less than a week to send it in, and get one back. Very fast service the second time. 3rd time was the E74 error and it was quick as well. I then bought a slim and haven't had a problem since.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WickedFather
    @Jonny7892: Which update?  The one a few days ago or the one before that?  If it's the one previously they'll give you a new slim no matter what model it was if it crocked the dvd drive.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mnzy
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

I suspected that a previous update had red ringed my Halo 3 edition 360 a while back. But I never heard anything about Microsoft admitting it was their fault and that they would replace the 360. That sucks because it is too late for me now since I trashed it upon buying the new model.

The updates never made 360s red ring. Just that drive thing.
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Ramone

@WickedFather said:

@Jonny7892: Which update? The one a few days ago or the one before that? If it's the one previously they'll give you a new slim no matter what model it was if it crocked the dvd drive.

It was the most recent one. Also I'm using a 250gb slim. BTW I already have a repair set up I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By YoThatLimp

Try clearing your cache it fixed my issue....after I had convinced my wife to let me get a new slim model, so thanks Microsoft!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.