Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

I replaced my disk drive, Will I get banned off live?

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By insanejedi

My 360 Disk Drive died recently and instead of paying the 130$ to fix it, I got a replacement drive and put that instead and it works. My question is that knowing that people who mod chip their 360's and get banned off of live, will replacing my disk drive get me banned of Xbox Live? 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I doubt it. Never heard of it happening, then again I'm not entirely sure I've ever heard of a disc drive being replaced. Usually people just buy a new 360.   :P

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Megalon

Well, did you get an "official" replacement drive? Or did you just throw any hard drive in there? Because the 360 is very specific as to what HDD it will use, and if you used a non-official one that means you had to mod your console to get it to work. So in that case, yes, you could probably get banned. If you bought an official drive, I think you may have to be connected to xbox live in order to play DLC and arcade games (that may just be true for a new 360 only, not sure). 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

I assume he's talking about DVD drives.  No way you can know OP, I don't think hackers even know what all MS can detect, and they tend to ban in waves.  People have been banned for modding their drives, but it's not clear how MS detects it.

I have a theory, that your DVD drive might report a different serial / other info to your mobo which could set off flags, but who knows.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Pazy
    Megalon said:
    Well, did you get an "official" replacement drive? Or did you just throw any hard drive in there? Because the ... [more]

He said Disk Drive not HDD. Two difffrent things :) One reads CD/DVDS and the other stores Data :)

Though to answer the original poster, since ive made a post now, im not honestly sure. Ive never heard of someone getting banned for it (and theres no real reason to get banned for it). But you could check the Xbox live rules (somewhere on xbox.com) they list all the reasons explicitly there.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Megalon

Ah, my mistake. Whenever I see someone refer to a drive as "disc drive" I assume hard disc drive, not dvd disc drive (since, well, that's repetitive as hell).

Doubt you'll have any problems there, that would be a damn silly thing to get banned for. 
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24

Yeah, I don't think it should be much of a worry. It would be a shame if a disc drive could be the cause of a ban. A HDD is a bit different. Check the rules, but don't stress over it.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pazy
    Megalon said:
    Ah, my mistake. Whenever I see someone refer to a drive as "disc drive" I assume hard disc drive, not ... [more]
    True but you can also get banned for having name like Micheal Gaynor, which is a real name so I wouldent put i passed them lol
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

130 dollars to get the hard drive fixed? last i checked it only cost about 100 or so to get the 360 it self fixed, I paid 50 which later got refunded with e74 became covered under 3 year...so its funny that you some how think you'd have to pay 130 dollars to get it fixed by microsoft.... so at that point i start to disbelieve you.

Other then that you won't get banned for using your own harddrive since you have to use a specific hard drive model and brand...so...

JJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JJR

Yes you will be banned forever, and I know this for a fact.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    JJR said:
    Yes you will be banned forever, and I know this for a fact.
    Hes right!
    teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By teh_destroyer
    DuhQbnSiLo said:
    JJR said: Yes you will be banned forever, and I know this for a fact. Hes right! [more]
    Looks like the TC is screwed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.