Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

Obscene language and Live.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RsistncE

Kotaku just did an interview with Stephen Toulouse, program manager in charge of policy and enforcement for Xbox Live. Apparently Microsoft has an ENTIRE team dedicated to finding the newest slang to figure out if it needs to be banned from use in Live. Here's an excerpt:

"Our forbidden names list is many thousands now," said Stephen Toulouse, program manager in charge of policy and enforcement for Xbox Live. " Language takes on new meanings daily.

"My team spends a lot of time learning as slang evolves, as the Internet drives new communications. We have to work very hard to be abreast on those sorts of things."

The team also tracks curse words from other languages and keeps an eye on inappropriate phrases that could bubble up from geopolitical issues.

http://kotaku.com/5317082/frak-to-cleveland-steamer-xbox-lives-big-book-of-forbidden-words

There's the rest of the article for your reading pleasure. It's gotten so ridiculous that word's like "frak" and even the infamous Cleveland Steamer (from family guy) are banned. What do you guys think? Do you think this is for the good of the community on Live or do you think they're just catering to the over-sensitive, pro-family crybabies? Can the possibly win this battle? Are we finally seeing the rise of dystopian undertones on Live?
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By fr0br0
    @RsistncE said:

"We have to work very hard to be abreast on those sorts of things."

Ban that fool.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Oh, you mean the word "frak?" Oh, the irony! Oh, the many ways Seth Green has ruined online play :P!

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive

seriously, this is fucking stupid. these guys are claiming they are working very hard to ensure they still get paid next week. sitting at a desk on forums all day to find a new slang term in-case one arrises is not hard work. in fact, its the complete opposite of work. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iam3green

i don't think this really works out. it doesn't seem like there are a lot of things xbox live does to fix this. there are still 12 year olds screaming into the mic and yelling. their system is fluid also, if a person gets enough complaints then the person will get banned for a couple of days on xbox live.

Disengage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Disengage
    @RsistncE said:
    "http://kotaku.com/5317082/frak-to-cleveland-steamer-xbox-lives-big-book-of-forbidden-wordsThere's the rest of the article for your reading pleasure. It's gotten so ridiculous that word's like "frak" and even the infamous Cleveland Steamer (from family guy) are banned. What do you guys think? Do you think this is for the good of the community on Live or do you think they're just catering to the over-sensitive, pro-family crybabies? Can the possibly win this battle? Are we finally seeing the rise of dystopian undertones on Live? "

The Cleveland Steamer existed a long time before Family Guy.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jayge_

So if I begin a huge campaign to get everyone to replace "fuck" on Xbox Live with the word "buttered toast," they would ban buttered toast?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Jayge said:
    " So if I begin a huge campaign to get everyone to replace "fuck" on Xbox Live with the word "buttered toast," they would ban buttered toast? "
    No, you'd just get the FCC to ruin half of Ed Edd 'n Eddy retroactively :P.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RsistncE
    @Disengage: Sorry, never looked into the origins of the word.
    leeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By leeto

Obscene language and the internet in general go hand-in-hand. It's just how it is. I'm sure the Policy and Enforcement team know this, so whatever. Besides, i think I'd get kind of annoyed if every other gamertag said something like "FuckMyBigCock" or "YouHaveASmallPenis"

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By DanielJW

Yeah why do people care they do this? What drives you to want to make your name BigDickTom or whatever? Who cares?

leeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By leeto
    @DanielJW: I'm guessing they use it as an excuse for their crap game skills. "Sorry fellas it's not my fault, my schlong is so big it got in the way of my controller!"
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By DanielJW
    @leeto: Press A to bone?
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Absurd
    @Fr0Br0 said:
    " @RsistncE said:

"We have to work very hard to be abreast on those sorts of things."

Ban that fool. "
    Precisely what I was thinking.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RsistncE
    @leeto said:
    " Obscene language and the internet in general go hand-in-hand. It's just how it is. I'm sure the Policy and Enforcement team know this, so whatever. Besides, i think I'd get kind of annoyed if every other gamertag said something like "FuckMyBigCock" or "YouHaveASmallPenis" "
    I personally think it would make Live all that more entertaining. There's nothing quite like you and your entire team being exterminated with a message on the screen saying "YouHaveASmallPenis". I'd imagine some people would have some pretty bad self esteem issues after such an incidence.
    slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By slinky6

This is why freedom of speech is cool and why even private businesses should embrace the fucking shit out of it.   Giant Bomb doesn't censor words and it's not full of cunt-pickles that swear just for the fucking fun of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.