Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Generation Xerox

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Edited By Jensonb

It took me several tries to succinctly write down my thoughts on this subject. I finally did so satisfactorily in a comment on Reddit, which this Blog post is based on...

Like many (though by no means all) other video game fans, I was pretty disappointed by Microsoft's Xbox One reveal. Aside from a name which gets stupider the more you hear it, and is even worse when abbreviated (XONE), the Xbox One strategy is such a non-response to the problems in the gaming industry at the moment. And there are many. Not least of which is how expensive the kinds of games we buy on discs for home consoles are, both to buy and to produce.

Microsoft have made one concession, I suppose, in the form of switching to x86 processors to make porting between console and PC easier (a concession which only really matters because Sony independently picked the same architecture).

That doesn't help all that much though, because the cost of producing assets is going spike significantly, as it has already been doing, with relatively little improvement in gameplay terms to show for it. These triple-a games are still going to be too expensive to produce more than a few a year, sell for too high an MSRP for consumers, and Microsoft (though not Sony) is making life difficult for independent developers by requiring games to have a publisher, at a time when independent developers are the ones producing all the more innovative and exciting games (which, not coincidentally, are also generally the games which don't need next gen horsepower to delight us). Nintendo and Sony are, by stark contrast, actively courting indies.

Similarly, the Xbox One was rolled out with very few games to show, and the ones they did show are just the same old yearly franchises rehashed, and another high-minded effort to conflate games and movies or high-end TV shows which will be hyped to shit and inevitably flop like that idea does every generation. Microsoft may rectify it at E3, but arguably that's too late. They get to make one first impression, to tell us what their new box is about. And it's not about games, let alone new experiences in gaming.

It's about all the other forms of entertainment - the cheaper ones which actually do not NEED a $400 box and a monthly LIVE Gold subscription fee to be enjoyed on the TV because AppleTV and Roku have been around for YEARS already and cost under $100. And on the gaming side, it promised another five to seven years of EA shoving out a very slightly tweaked Fifa or Madden every year and Activision developing a new CoD engine now and churning out glorified expansion packs based on the game that launched it until the cows come home.

That really isn't going to keep working. This business model is unsustainable, so Nintendo are trying new things. So is Sony to some extent - though their box is likely to be just as too expensive as Microsoft's and I doubt the third parties will do much more than continue as they are on Sony's hardware either, so it'll be up to SCE to produce the innovative games. Microsoft surveyed a changed media landscape and a video game market in desparate need of disruption and said "let's stay the course".

For the time being, the only next-gen console I can see myself definitely buying is the Wii U, because it's cheap, it does some novel things to keep things interesting and it will let me play some of my favourite games, like Mario Kart, in HD for the first time. Beyond that, it's Sony's vision with the PS4 that I find most convincing. Nevertheless, the likely cost will prevent me from seriously considering investing in their platform until...Gosh, probably after E3 2015 at the earliest. The Seventh generation may have been too long, but in many ways I really don't see the world being ready for these new, expensive beasts.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

So your opinion is just the same as everyone else on the internet. Very interesting read.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

I like your input. interesting. And I feel this eighth generation will change the state of the industry meaningfully, with the arm wrestling between the hardware and software companies and consumers.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Jensonb

I wouldn't say that. I'm not the first to express skepticism sure, but there were plenty of people who seemed genuinely enthused by the Xbox One.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

At first I thought we were going into a generation of people who would suddenly start buying scanners and printers again and I became sad.
    Luckily enough that wasn't the case, so that's good, I suppose.

Interesting read though, for sure.
    Then again I have read a lot of posts like this and others worse that just haaate the direction Microsoft seems to be going.

Very few "OMG YES! WOO!" comments now that I think about it

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust

@jensonb said:

I wouldn't say that. I'm not the first to express skepticism sure, but there were plenty of people who seemed genuinely enthused by the Xbox One.

Yeah, but more than being skeptical about the hardware, I have trouble believing franchises like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Super Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, Zelda, and so many others properties sequealized to death, will keep the market strong. Sure there are numerous fans of said games, but how many sequels can the audience enjoy?

You can always say that publishers and developers will risk new properties, but what about the costs of said ventures? What if a game doesn't perform well? How can they cope with it? With AAA games, there are few companies that can suffer big losses, without risking financial bankrupcy.

So this leads as to the relationship between consumers and developers and publishers. As the Wii U has shown sign of, it will be a rocky relationship.

Great title by the way. ahah

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.