Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Interesting article with a 'different' perspective

clarkj1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I thought this article was interesting - if only because it's so contrary to the general internet sentiment at the moment.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/the-console-war-isnt-about-gamers-anymore

Some of the quotes that stuck out for me that deserve comment/were interesting/controversialt:

I hesitate to call the thing a game console, any more than I’d call a tricked-out PC a game console. It is an impressive device that does a lot of interesting things

People are talking about PS4 as if it represents some kind of moralcommitment to gamers by Sony. That’s ridiculous. Gamers have been good to Sony in the past and Sony has made a short-term bet that they can still buoy an expensive consumer device.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Alexander

Looking at the X1 as a closed PC system and less a traditional console is the common perspective.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

thanks for sharing, was an interesting read. Really stoked to see what the future brings.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamers buy consoles. It's never a case of wowow, I've got this video and music machine that also plays games. It's a games machine that does extras. PS3: It's a game machine and also has a blu-ray. Microsoft are trying to sell a car based on the radio... and cup holders if you're from USA. Do not underestimate the power of the cup holder, they taught us that on Top Gear.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The iPhone does many things besides calling people. It's still referred to as a phone. The same principle applies here.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

If you don't play games would you buy it? No. So it is still about people who play games.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@nictel: Although many people in a household use Xbox's and PS3's for everything but playing games, will households without someone buying it as a games device still buy it for themselves? It seems as if the the story that MS's usage data may not tell is that the primary decision maker for that purchase will buy it primarily for games, and the household will benefit from that purchase.

I say "may" because I don't actually know this for sure.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By sopranosfan

@brendan: I would be willing to bet on that. I am an avid gamer and consider anything a console does besides games to be like the lettuce and tomato on a bacon cheeseburger. However my wife never plays games but often uses my PS3 for Blu-rays and steaming and never for games. But she would never spend the money for one when most Blu-rays now play Blu-rays and stream for a lot cheaper.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I've come to the realization over the last couple days is the sad truth about the gaming console business, is that this last gen was the last gen of consoles.

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. None have made a profit over the last ten years on consoles. Individually they've had profitable years but those years added all together they are well in the red.

I guess it make sense they'd all move on in their own ways. Nintendo with underpowered cheaper machines, PS4 as a streaming device and X1 as a multimedia device.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The iPhone does many things besides calling people. It's still referred to as a phone. The same principle applies here.

Well it is called a smartphone. So in this spirit I hereby call the X1 a smartconsole!

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pw2566ch

I'll admit, it seems like a great multimedia device, but to pay $60 a year just to use it as such is ridiculous.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

I hesitate to call the thing a game console, any more than I’d call a tricked-out PC a game console. It is an impressive device that does a lot of interesting things

The difference is you can do whatever you like on a tricked-out PC, not whatever Microsoft wants you to do.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rebgav

That article would have more merit if it addressed the fact that game publishers exist, that they exist to make a profit, and that none can make a profit on one or two releases each per year. Reads like a tech guy writing about a game console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.