Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

The new quick look.

Spectrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spectrea

For you fellow pc xcom players here, you noticed the fluidity of the movement of the gamepad? I had serious trouble with the camera using the mouse/KB, that actually wounds me to see. Shame. Is anyone actually going to resort to using a gamepad?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Weird, seems like 2.5D is perfectly suited to mouse/keyboard. Did they just poorly implement how the screen scrolls?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

Based on how the demo played, the camera is a little weird. It definitely seems like it was designed first for a controller and then hacked to work with KB+M.

Thankfully, it works well enough that I don't think it will be a huge debacle like it was with From Dust.

Spectrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spectrea

I have only seen bits of pc footage myself, as you say with the new updated game it may be better, my only experience was with the demo and my god was that horrifying, ive never had an experience that bad in terms of movement and control. Sending soldiers to wrong floors and or places, the different floor view, could not scroll the camera correctly etc. It just seems like the gamepad is fluent with the analog from the quick look footage, scrolling around, elevation viewing etc. There is alot of anger on the official forum it looks like too.

Edit : Yeh it seems controller influenced, its strange arent most console games originally designed on a pc? You would think they would work more fluently.

Avatar image for digitaladhesive
    DigitalAdhesive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DigitalAdhesive

Maybe I have a predilection for poor UI, but the interface never really seemed that awkward to me/I never had the kind of issues some people say they're experiencing. I read that the keys can be remapped to get rid of confirmations, etc. Don't know if that'll help.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By crusader8463

I'm withholding final judgment for later tonight when I get the final game, but from what I played of the demo the PC version does seem like it was treated as an after thought when it came to controls and revoltingly the console got priority. It makes me sad more then mad at this point to see games that should be getting MKB controls first and foremost get relegated to a last minuet afterthought, but that is sadly the world we live in. I don't think it will be unplayablly bad, but I'm expecting to have quite a few moments where I will just shake my head in frustration at the way certain menus control and scream at my monitor when my guys end up dying because the game doesn't do what I wanted it to do and move my guy into a weird position or do the wrong move and get one shotted.

Spectrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spectrea

Pretty much my thoughts on the whole thing. I do think firaxis will have to do something about it, the scale of preorders on steam you would have to think some of them will complain, on top of the ones already doing said complaining on forum. i have never, and probably will never like to use wasd. Its like using wasd to rotate camera in say an fps, just doesnt work.

I did read that a seperate part of firaxis actually designed the PC ui and control scheme, i have no direct evidence of that though i read it on the firaxis forum i believe.

@Digital, my problem isnt the keybindings i can get use to them, its more to do with the mouse controls, you guys have played the demo too, it feels slow and unresponsive, no scrolling, the camera is fucked up to operate and i dont particularily like using the keyboard for every single function i need to perform especially the camera. Have you seen the quick look digital? Pc gamers pay money too, is it too much to ask to have the consoles fluent camera controls?

InsidiousBliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By InsidiousBliss

I downloaded the demo, but I couldn't bring myself to play it because I wouldn't want to stop when the demo ends. At least I have a xbox controller at the ready in case the mouse and keyboard controls aren't so hot.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By buzz_killington

Really surprising considering Firaxis' legacy.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Spectrea:

Camera can be zoomed in and out with the scroll wheel past the demo's tutorial. And will pan/scroll with the mouse when moved to the edge too. The only camera issue I can think of is the wasd for rotation, because the game limits you to only 4 view angles on all game versions.

A lot of people had issues for mouse feeling sluggish/unresponsive in the demo, I felt similar. For some turning off vsync worked (including myself) to make the mouse responsive. After that I had 0 issues controlling the action quickly and precisely with K&M.

We also already had several threads in regards to controls if you are looking for more opinions: http://www.giantbomb.com/xcom-enemy-unknown/61-37152/kbm-or-gamepad/35-561695/#35http://www.giantbomb.com/xcom-enemy-unknown/61-37152/x-com-demo-your-thoughts/35-561744/#66

ashenozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ashenozzie

I'm certainly going to try using the gamepad, sure. I prefer using gamepads over M/KB in non-multiplayer shooter games.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By BeachThunder

I got really frustrated in the demo where the camera would move slightly upwards at the edge of the screen :(

I can't help but think that everything would actually be so much better if it were just in a straight-up isometric perspective...

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By fox01313

After reading elsewhere on the site about people who found that the controller was a better way to enjoy the game I'll definitely give both a try but thinking that the controller might be the way to go. Won't really know until I get my hands on the full game.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I don't own one, so no.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By prestonhedges

A lot of people will probably chime in and say "Just use a controller," but if Firaxis couldn't spend that extra five minutes and get the controls right, what else did they cut corners on?

I'm going to cut corners myself by waiting until there's a Steam sale and it's like seven bucks.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MiniPato

@gladspooky said:

A lot of people will probably chime in and say "Just use a controller," but if Firaxis couldn't spend that extra five minutes and get the controls right, what else did they cut corners on? I'm going to cut corners myself by waiting until there's a Steam sale and it's like seven bucks.

Sounds like an campaign commercial. "Firaxis. Looking out for PC gamers? Or themselves? Vote Gladspooky. I'm Gladspooky and I approve this message."

Seriously, if you're not going to buy it, then don't buy it. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hunkulese

Seemed fine to me.
    Camera was a little wonky but that had nothing to do with the controls.
    I'm not sure how people are moving where they don't want to go. It's not a super precise fast paced game and there's an indicator where your dude will end up. If the indicator is in the wrong spot don't click the mouse.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Ketchupp

I'll most likely be playing this on a controller just because of the camera.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Dagbiker

Just because its on the PC doesn't mean it shouldn't use a controller Just because its on a PC doesn't mean it should automatically use the Keyboard and Mouse. That's the great part of the PC, no one telling you how to make your game.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sanity

@Dagbiker said:

Just because its on the PC doesn't mean it shouldn't use a controller Just because its on a PC doesn't mean it should automatically use the Keyboard and Mouse. That's the great part of the PC, no one telling you how to make your game.

Agreed, god people get so huffy about this stuff. Also i find it odd that people dont think a controller is any good for a turn based game. They have been doing it fine on handhelds for years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudy80 said:

@Dagbiker said:

Agreed, god people get so huffy about this stuff. Also i find it odd that people dont think a controller is any good for a turn based game. They have been doing it fine on handhelds for years.

Bu-bu-bu-but it's a controller! Only dumbed down console trash kiddie games need a controller!

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

Shut up, none says so. If you want to out someone as a PC-Masterace-kiddy while he has a valid complain then go fuck yourself.

I don't care for this game, never had, but if I did I sure as hell would like proper M&K controls. Sure, if it has good gamepad controlls, that's nice. But when there's a genre that just clearly controls better with mouse and keyboard controls, which a game like this sure as hell does, then it would be nice to have a good version of that too. And apparently that's not the case here, despite the original being a PC title mostly? (Unless I'm mistaken here.)

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By algertman

I wasn't even aware there was a PS3 version of this game. I wonder if it's a janky mess.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Syndrom

@algertman said:

I wasn't even aware there was a PS3 version of this game. I wonder if it's a janky mess.

playing it now, it's fine so far.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sanity

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

Shut up, none says so. If you want to out someone as a PC-Masterace-kiddy while he has a valid complain then go fuck yourself.

I don't care for this game, never had, but if I did I sure as hell would like proper M&K controls. Sure, if it has good gamepad controlls, that's nice. But when there's a genre that just clearly controls better with mouse and keyboard controls, which a game like this sure as hell does, then it would be nice to have a good version of that too. And apparently that's not the case here, despite the original being a PC title mostly? (Unless I'm mistaken here.)

The pc controls could be better but there also re-mappable so i think for the most part you could set it up how you want. I just get irritated at people saying that im crazy for using a gamepad on pc as if i commited a sin or something. I do agree in full with you though, not everyone has a 360 controller on there desk and not everyone wants to so the developers should do well by the systems native controller first.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti

Currently playing the full version with K&M. Making the mouse responsive by disabling vsync and framerate smoothing worked just as it did in the demo. Combined with using some common shortcuts it controls great. Having no issues with elevation and positioning, simple use of mousewheel does the job easy enough.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Syndrom

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

So why are you posting in the board for the game?

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
    deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never had a problem with the demo. May be because i played it really slow so I didn't notice the sluggishness

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.