Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Within

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 12, 2013

The standalone expansion pack for XCOM: Enemy Unknown adds cybernetic soldiers and aliens, along with new multi-player maps.

I made an Exquisite Corps XCOM logo

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By B0nd07

Hey everyone,

It's been a long time since I've posted, well, anything to the forums, but I thought I'd share this. Here is my interpretation of a logo for The Exquisite Corps if they were a division of XCOM. My Latin is non-existent, so please let me know if my translation is wrong (this is now the third iteration) and how to correct it.

I made two versions, one "holographic" and one "clean", both 1920x1080.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    pewpewphil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pewpewphil

dam made a holographic one too!

excellent job solider, your work will go along way to help the commanders of the Exquisite corps !

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Duder you nailed it! Vigilo Confido!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

*salutes*

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By B0nd07

@dudeglove: Thank you. Believe me when I say you know more Latin than I do.

Funny enough, I actually had "Vexillatio" in my original. I used several different translation sites each with different results for "corps" (some didn't even have one), which didn't help. Of course the biggest issue with online translators is syntax; so again, thank you for that. Before now I only had one person on Twitter tell me "Ugh, that translation is so wrong" without even a hint as to how to correct it.

I'll see if anyone else pipes in before making a, hopefully, final change. Ah, screw it; I'll do one now. It's a simple enough thing for me to change, I can do another if I need to.

Thank you, @pewpewphil, @voshinova, @csl316!

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Crysack

@dudeglove said:

I am also bad at Latin, but it should be pointed out that you have used "Protectoris" for "Corps", though procteroris is (I think?) "defender" rather than meaning "corps" which is another word for battalion (so literally "exquisite defender" in the singular rather than the plural). I also think you have your adjectival ending wrong (-us preceeding -is means they don't agree but someone can correct me on this as the words might not be irregular).

Again, please get the Latin scholar in, but if we wanted to be completely true on a surface level to the original, then it's probably something like "Exquisito Vexillatio" (vexillatio meaning "corps" or "batallion"). The thing is, Vinny is clearly doing one of his Drew-tier puns (corps nearly homophonous with corpse - yes i know, depending on your pronunciation - considering he knows full well how the series will go with Dan's decision making), so if we wanted to be truly accurate and also incorporate the wordplay, we'd end up with something else entirely. Unfortunately I am absolutely no academic and this level of punning in Latin is beyond my capabilities. Translation! Fun!

Vexillatio is third-declension feminine and this is presumably the nominative case so the end result would be 'exquisita vexillatio'. However, 'exquisitus', despite being the etymological root of 'exquisite' does not mean quite the same thing. It is the perfect passive participle of 'exquiro'. Hence, it means something closer to 'the detachment/corps that was sought out/searched for' - which might actually be somewhat appropriate. You could equally use 'cohors' as an alternative to vexillatio, which refers to a detachment of a legion combining 500 men.

If you're looking for a word closer to the English meaning of 'exquisite', you could use something like concinna, although that tends to be used more in the context of literary or artistic works.

Incidentally, both 'corps' and 'corpse' derive from the same latin root 'corpus' which simply refers to the body of something - whether it be an animal or a structure or a system or literally a corpse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab009e6ec980
    deactivated-5ab009e6ec980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made a quick video loop of your logo @b0nd07

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Looks great, duder!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its dope but i would just put the actual title instead of the latin.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crysack said:

Vexillatio is third-declension feminine and this is presumably the nominative case so the end result would be 'exquisita vexillatio'. However, 'exquisitus', despite being the etymological root of 'exquisite' does not mean quite the same thing. It is the perfect passive participle of 'exquiro'. Hence, it means something closer to 'the detachment/corps that was sought out/searched for' - which might actually be somewhat appropriate. You could equally use 'cohors' as an alternative to vexillatio, which refers to a detachment of a legion combining 500 men.

If you're looking for a word closer to the English meaning of 'exquisite', you could use something like concinnitās, although that tends to be used more in the context of literary or artistic works.

Incidentally, both 'corps' and 'corpse' derive from the same latin root 'corpus' which simply refers to the body of something - whether it be an animal or a structure or a system or literally a corpse.

I see. Thank you for this break down. I think I'll give it one last version using "exquisita". I like the idea of being close enough, but still getting the job done; seems to fit the series too.

@deactivated-5ab009e6ec980: That's awesome!

@chilibean_3@hasbro dp: Thanks!

@oursin_360: Thanks! I may make a version in English, but the whole idea was to make something like what's in the game, which is all Latin.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@b0nd07 said:
    @crysack said:

If you're looking for a word closer to the English meaning of 'exquisite', you could use something like concinnitās, although that tends to be used more in the context of literary or artistic works.

I see. Thank you for this break down. I think I'll give it one last version using "exquisita". I like the idea of being close enough, but still getting the job done; seems to fit the series too.

It kind of does. The Latin in the game is kind of weird anyway. The XCOM motto 'Vigilo Confido' is technically correct (albeit a strange construction) since Latin doesn't require a pronoun. It means something along the lines of 'I watch, I believe' - but I'm not actually sure that's what they were going for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.