Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Dec 08, 2016

The sixth chapter in the Yakuza series follows Kazuma Kiryu as he tries to unravel the events that lead to Haruka's hospitalization and the parentage of the infant child she has with her.

Yakuza 6: A Frustrating Finale.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By MooseyMcMan

I know I usually try to be coy, or come up with clever names for these, but I figured I would just get to the point with this one. Especially after seeing so much praise for 6 (if anyone has a link to some actual criticism of the game (not just 4/5 reviews or fluff on "how good a dad" Kiryu is), let me know because I haven't seen any), I found myself profoundly disappointed. Especially because this is what the developers are claiming is the final (new) game starring the Dragon of Dojima himself, Kazuma Kiryu.

And to be clear, this will have some spoilers for both the end of Yakuza 5, and some stuff from the early parts of Yakuza 6. Then, later on there's spoilers for the end of the game, and that will be in a spoiler thing. But I figure if you are into these games enough to worry about spoilers, you've probably already played/are playing 6. That said, as disappointed as I am in this game, if you are a longtime fan of the series and haven't played yet, probably just stop reading here and go play the game yourself. I feel like I'm an outlier in my take on the game (though I'm baffled about the people who loved it), so I don't know.

At least the cats are cute.
    At least the cats are cute.

Yakuza 6 picks up right where Yakuza 5 left off. Kiryu is badly wounded from the final boss of that game, Haruka had just announced her retirement from being an idol (something I strongly criticizeda couple years ago), and the Tojo Clan is in disarray. After a short recap of that stuff (and to be fair, the game technically starts with a tutorial fight set later on, but then flashes back to that), the story really begins with Kiryu in the hospital, and making the first questionable decision of the game.

When faced with the choice between "hire a good lawyer" and "go to prison to take the fall for the Yakuza clan he hasn't been a part of for years," he decides that even though he runs an orphanage without the help of any other adults, he would be better off in prison. The idea being that otherwise he'd draw too much attention to the orphanage. And while I guess there is something resembling a logic to it, and he had already been letting the orphans run the place themselves in 5, at least in that game Kiryu had been sending them money to run the place. I'm sure Japanese prisons are different from US ones in a great deal of ways, but I'm pretty confident there wouldn't have been a way for Kiryu to keep funding the orphanage. And even beyond all that, it's hard for me to look at a decision like that and think anything other than Kiryu is just trying to hide from his problems until they blow over.

Haruka, meanwhile, discovers that even though she abandoned her dream to spend more time with her fellow orphans, the media was still keen on assassinating her character, so she comes to the same conclusion as Kiryu, and runs away, though at least not to prison. And being the oldest of the bunch, that meant the orphanage was run by no one but young teens for the three years Kiryu was in prison.

This is when it gets to the thing that actually ruins Yakuza 6 for me. Upon getting out of prison, Kiryu returns to the orphanage to find everything in order (I guess letting orphans run it wasn't so bad after all), except that Haruka is missing. So, Kiryu goes to the only place in Japan that anyone ever goes in this series, which is that one tiny square of Tokyo called Kamurocho. Here is where he learns that Haruka was hit by a car, is now in a coma, and was a clutching a baby when the car hit. And Kiryu embarks on his adventure to figure out who hit her, why she was hit, and who the father of the baby is.

And I hate it. I already hated that in Yakuza 5, a game explicitly about following one's dreams, Haruka's entire arc was to give up on her dream because like most women in this series, she felt most at home at, well, home. Now that she's old enough to be an adult, that's come full circle and she's become a mom. But not even an actual mom, just a mom plot device to force Kiryu to have to take care of a baby, which only amounts to having to repeat a bad minigame to calm the baby while running around a small town looking for milk.

It's especially frustrating that after seeing nothing but praise for this game, and seeing people (rightfully) criticize God of War for having the wife be dead, and never directly seen or heard from, that I haven't seen a single person complain about how Haruka is in a coma for the vast majority of this game. Yes, I realize it's not the same thing because Haruka does appear (brief though it is) at the start, and eventually wake up. And even when she does wake up, it's not like she suddenly gains a vast amount of agency in the story. She still exists just to be something the men fight over. But between that, and the story in general, I just feel like I played a different Yakuza 6 from the one I've seen people talk about.

Nothing in this game's story did anything for me. The closest I got to really enjoying it was seeing some of the antics of what has to be the most slapdash, half-assed Yakuza family in history. Even that didn't last, because they had to get involved in the quest to find Haruto's (the baby) real father (the reveal of who it is I saw coming a mile away, even if I preferred my original prediction that the baby wasn't actually Haruka's). To be honest, I liked them better when they were just comic relief, and not a serious part of the story.

But for real, it felt like it wasn't until I was over halfway into the story that it started to pick up at all, and even when it did, I just couldn't bring myself to care. It's just the same sneaky back-stabbing politicking between criminal syndicates that the series always has, but without a memorable cast to propel the action along. The game tries to make a big deal out of the events taking place, and I'm sure some of them (like 'The "Secret" of Onomichi,' a late game McGuffin) are more meaningful for the Japanese audience the game was written for. But again, when the new characters don't feel like they're worth caring about, I couldn't bring myself to get invested in the plot.

I can never get enough of the giant cones.
    I can never get enough of the giant cones.

Most of my favorite characters from the previous games are nowhere to be seen, outside of brief appearances. Majima, Saejima, even Daigo might as well not even be in the game, for how little they are. Even Akiyama, who shows up a few times, has far less screen time than the new characters, who just...aren't great. Outside of those aforementioned knuckleheads, the new characters aren't likable at all. They're not even villainous or interesting enough to be the "good" kind of unlikable.

Even Kiryu just feels like he's Kiryu doing the same Kiryu thing he has been doing for the last few games, outside of 0. When he was one of four or five playable characters, that was fine because he didn't need to carry an entire game on his own. But that shtick just doesn't cut it anymore. Honestly, 6 has helped me realize that Kiryu doesn't really have that much depth as a character. He's just this generic stalwart of what's right, and he just wants to help his family, which is fine, but...boring. At least in 0 he had actual character growth, where he went from just another Yakuza into the Dragon.

But back to Haruka, and how this game really just continues to treat women the way the series pretty much always has. They're not active players in the story so much as just plot devices for the men to care (or not care) about. Haruka is in her coma, and Kiyomi (the one other woman relevant to the story) is there to babysit Haruto while Kiryu is out beating up people. Oh, and don't forget about Kiyomi's tragic back story (spoilers, I guess) about her abusive husband (who is vying for control of the Tojo Clan) who she had to run away from, and in the process abandoned her actual child to life with him. And also don't forget that she basically just stops showing up in the story once that back story is revealed, because women have no place in this series if they can't be either a McGuffin, or have some tragedy to either take part in, or relay to the men. SPOILERS: When she does show up again, it's only because she's been kidnapped, used to force the men to fight each other, then "killed" (of course she was fine) to again, just get the men riled up.

(In retrospect, while I loved 0 last year, thinking about this is making me rethink Makoto's role in that game's story, and I'm suddenly finding a lot of similar issues I wish I'd thought more about back then.)

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that just like (what feels like) every other game in the series, trans women exist only to be the punchline of a "joke." Though at least this time the woman was correctly gendered, and there wasn't any violence involved. But Kiryu's visible discomfort at being near a trans woman was still played for "laughs," as I'm sure the physical design of the character was (you can surely imagine how this series would represent a trans woman stereotype without me going into details). Of course that's all assuming this was the only LGBT related "joke" in the game, and there wasn't anything else I missed, which is...possible.

So, I've complained about as much as I can without getting into SPOILERS for the ending, so let this be your warning.

Reminiscing of a better time, and a better game, in karaoke. Miss you, Nishiki.
    Reminiscing of a better time, and a better game, in karaoke. Miss you, Nishiki.

In the end, Kiryu and his cohorts are in a big brawl against the bad guys (a brawl that felt pretty tame compared to the ending of 0), and even though Kiryu wins the fight, he still ends up getting shot several times, but all in the gut. You know, the sort of thing that in real life would probably mean someone was dead, but in this series, did not seem like enough to kill the Dragon of Dojima (never mind that he could take more shots like that in game play). But the game still makes a big deal out of him seeming like he's dying, and the people around (including Haruka, who once she woke up really just serves as a damsel in distress for this final scene) get in close, trying to help, or at least hear his final words. And this is where I started to get actually mad at the game.

"Yuta... and Haruto... Make them... happy."

Those are the final words that Kiryu has to say for Haruka. Not "I love you," not "I hope you live a good life," no, the final words that Kiryu has for his adopted daughter, who (despite his habit of trying to run and hide from the orphanage) he'd been raising for over a decade...are to make the men in her life happy. Granted, one of them was her baby, but that didn't make it any less frustrating to me.

And then, after a flashback where it shows Kiryu writing a letter, with the initial implication that it's for Haruka, and contains all the thoughtful stuff he should have been saying to her as he was "dying," it turns out it was actually for Daigo Dojima. You know, because as he's preparing for a "suicide mission," of course he'd write something for the head of a Yakuza clan that he really had little to do with from Yakuza 3 onward, and not the adopted daughter who had just awoken from a coma. Sure, part of it was that he wanted to prevent a costly war of vengeance over his death, but that didn't need to include all the "I thought of myself as your father" stuff for Daigo, and no attempt at a touching moment like that between him and the character closest to being an actual child of his.

Anyway, the game then goes to show all the various characters going on with their lives after the "death" of Kiryu, with Akiyama being the only one who doesn't believe he's actually dead. But Date insists he saw the body, which is then followed by a flashback showing that, no, of course Kiryu isn't actually dead. He just faked his death because he thought that would be best for everyone.

You know, because after hiding in prison for three years, and seeing that resulted in Haruka running off on her own, having a baby, and accidentally getting involved in this big conflict between the Yakuza and Triads, his plan at the end of the game was to fake his death and just keep running from the people he cared about.

And if that isn't a frustrating lack of character growth, or compassion for what other characters care about, then I don't know what is. After playing four other games where I liked Kiryu, this just made me disappointed. Disappointed not only that the game portrays him being selfish and cowardly as some noble sacrifice, not only that he had zero character growth over the course of his final game, but that the game couldn't even commit to killing him.

If they had actually killed him, it still wouldn't have been the happy ending I wanted, but at least I would have to give them credit for having the guts to actually go through with it. But instead, they took this weak middle ground where it would be very easy to bring him back in the future. I know they've already shown the guy who is the new lead for the series (which in itself is disappointing, because I know I'd rather Akiyama or Majima get their own game), but I still wouldn't count out them doing a game called "The Dragon Returns," or something.

I also say all this because even with all my dislike for this game's story, I know if they made a game starring Majima or Akiyama (and it was localized), I would still buy it. But this new guy? Well, let's just say my faith in their ability to write decent new stories is pretty well broken at this point. (I say, wording it that way so I have an out if I play Kiwami 2 this summer, in the hopes that I can use that to leave this series on a better note than this (but given the word I heard about Kiwami 1 not being great, I'm not holding my breath here).

Anyway, I can't really overstate how disappointed this game really made me. I was feeling bummed out pretty much all day after I saw that ending. Part of me wanted to take the disc out then and there, and never play the game again, but I still had side content to do, and you know...

At least the combat is still fun, eventually.
    At least the combat is still fun, eventually.

Okay, but I know what you're thinking: Even if the story is disappointing, at least the game play is still fun, right? Well, that's a bit more complicated. Ultimately, yes, I do think the combat is still fun, but it takes too long for it to really get good, and even then still isn't as deep as it was in 0. Yakuza 6, it turns out, is the first time there's been a serious and substantial change in the tech around which the Yakuza games are made since Yakuza 3. 3, 4, 5, 0, Kiwami (which I didn't play after reading it wasn't great/had plenty of transmisogyny), and all the spin-offs I didn't play were ultimately all designed as PS3 games, and generally all felt the same (aside from maybe the zombie one, but I didn't play that).

Yakuza 6 is the first one built for PS4, and as such it has a variety of new innovations that only the PS4 can handle. Like being able to enter stores without loading. If that sounds sarcastic, it's because while it's a welcome change, stuff like that feels like it should have been possible back in Yakuza 3. It also allows for a greater level of detail possible in the design of the cities than ever before, which is nice, but comes at a cost.

I'm not the sort of person to complain about anti-aliasing, and in fact, I'd be willing to bet that in all the years I've been writing these blogs, this is the first time I've ever felt the need to mention it, but the aliasing in Yakuza 6 is terrible. I mean, so bad that there were cutscenes where I was supposed to be focused on the characters (really, the subtitles at the bottom since I don't know Japanese), but I couldn't keep my eyes off the horribly aliased objects in the background. Power lines, buildings, cars, just about everything. There's spots in the game where it looks like almost the whole screen is just a mess of aliasing, and on top of that, there's bad screen tearing in some areas too. It's especially noticeable in the first person mode. After 0, which sure, still "looked like a PS3 game," but ran well and I don't remember having issues like this, it feels like more harm than good has been done to the visual side of the game.

And, I feel the same way about the changes made to the combat. I was already worried going into the game, knowing that after three games of multiple protagonists that this was going back to just one. I became even more worried when I learned Kiryu was only going to have one fighting style, as opposed to the three for 0 (four, if you count the secret one you had to grind for (which involved going through the terrible transmisogyny of that game, which is why I didn't)).

All that aside, the combat is on the surface the same as ever, but in that nebulous "feel," not quite the same. The older games, for better or worse, felt very rigid in their combat. Rigid in the sense that every time you did the same combo, the moves came out in exactly the same, snappy way. 6, on the other hand, in motion, looks a lot more fluid. I don't know if that's just because there's more and newer animations, or if there's some sort of dynamic animating going on (the game sure likes to use the word "dynamic" in the descriptions for some of the moves, at least).

If this looks like nonsense, just imagine 15 other enemies crowding around as well.
    If this looks like nonsense, just imagine 15 other enemies crowding around as well.

I don't know how much of it is fundamental changes made to the combat, and how much was the need to upgrade Kiryu's attack speed, but the opening hours of the game are a slog any time Kiryu gets into a fight. By the time I fully upgraded the speed of Kiryu's attacks, it got to a point where it felt pretty much good as it did in 0, but still not quite there. Maybe that slower speed was supposed to represent Kiryu being rusty from being in prison, but honestly I would have preferred less of that, and not made the opening hours feel like such a drag.

And the way Heat works has changed too. There's much less of an emphasis on getting enemies into specific situations, and then hitting Triangle to do a special move that drains part of the Heat gauge. That still exists, but now it feels like the thing to do is wait for the Heat to max out (now represented by orbs instead of meters), then hit R2 to go Kaio-ken, which speeds up and increases the power of Kiryu's attacks. It also opens up a lot more Heat Actions that simply aren't available normally. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I just don't enjoy what it's done to the flow of fights compared to the previous games.

It does, however, lead to my favorite thing about the combat in 6. Ending combos with Triangle in Heat mode will zoom in on the enemy's face while Kiryu's fist or foot smashes into it, and seeing the faces contort while the game prompts you to mash Triangle, only to then send the enemy flying is fantastic. More than anything else in the game, it demonstrates the raw power of the Dragon of Dojima, and it's cool as heck to look at. I wish there was more stuff like that. Maybe involving weapons? Which, weapons aren't nearly as much of a thing in this game as the past ones. Not that I ever got super into using them, not counting Majima's baseball bat fighting style, but it still feels a bit lacking in that regard.

Speaking of the fights themselves, like walking into buildings, they're a lot more seamless than before. That's good, and another thing I mostly like is the increased amount of physics on the enemies. Sending enemies flying after a big hit has long been in the series, but it's never felt as rag-dolly as it does here, and if there's anything I love, it's wonky physics on bodies in games. Seeing someone fly ten feet into the air, for no reason, after falling to the ground is certainly immersion breaking, but in the way that I can't help but enjoy.

There's also a heavy emphasis on knocking enemies into other enemies as a means of both crowd control, and doing damage. The old throw of the past is replaced with Kiryu spinning someone around, which knocks everyone back. It's cool, but sometimes it can make fights kind of a mess, where everyone gets knocked out at once, or most of the enemies are still technically conscious, but in a stunned state on the ground. At which point it tends to be either kicking them out, or waiting for them to stand up, because I found trying to grab enemies on the ground to be hit or miss with it actually working. And toward the end of the game, so many enemies are thrown at Kiryu (who often has some allies with him) at once, in tight enough spaces that it gets hard to tell what's going on, which was frustrating.

Anyway, the combat is ultimately still fun enough that it kept me going through the disappointing story. But really my biggest gripe with the changes to the game play systems are around the leveling. Yakuzas 3 through 5 (and I assume the first two) all leveled like regular games, and 0 had Kiryu and Majima spending money directly to unlock abilities on skill trees (which I really liked). 6 is back to XP, but in a baffling move, it has five different types of XP. Yes, FIVE. I think the idea was that these different types of XP represent different things Kiryu has to work on. Strength, speed, etc. The problem is that almost all of the things to be unlocked require multiple types of XP, and most of those require ALL of them, which just makes the splitting of XP into categories seem meaningless. Actually, more frustrating than meaningless, because Kiryu doesn't get XP for all five categories at the same rate.

There's XP from fighting, from completing story missions, sub stories, eating (which you can't do infinitely because Kiryu has a stomach that can get full (you can spend XP to increase his stomach capacity and the rate at which he digests the food (for better or worse, there's no need for him to use the toilet ever)), going to the gym, just about everything gives some amount of XP. But the things that happen the most in the game, like fighting, only give some of the XP types. And those other two types ended up being the bottleneck that slowed my progress toward unlocking things, especially later in the game. By the end of the game I had thousands of XP for three of the types, in a couple cases I literally hit the cap on how much XP can be had for them (9999), and I could barely get enough of the other two to keep unlocking anything.

On top of all these types of XP, and different ways to get it, over the course of the game it felt like I spent more XP getting abilities to get XP faster than I did on new abilities, or even on improving Kiryu's core stats (which only go up like, two points at a time, making any individual upgrade feel meaningless). Over the last few years, I've been feeling myself getting tired with these sorts of incremental, individually insignificant upgrades in games (something I recently felt a bit of with the runes in God of War), but this game has to be one of the worst examples in recent memory. It's just so much busywork, and the end result is just that the regular enemies are so weak that when I do come across a slightly tough boss, I'm paying so little attention to not getting hit that I don't realize I need to be careful until half my health is gone.

Unlocking new moves, stuff like that is fine. This just feels like busywork for the sake of having busywork. And it's frustrating in a game where I just want to have a good time being up lowlifes and criminals, not checking the stomach meter every five minutes and running to a restaurant to maximize what to eat.

There's still a part of me that never wants to let go of Kamurocho.
    There's still a part of me that never wants to let go of Kamurocho.

One thing that I do think the game gets right (mostly) is feeling like these are places that could actually exist. When I first started the game, I thought having to hold X to run everywhere, and running out of breath was going to be a hassle. And, at times it still is. But the answer (aside from upgrading stamina, which I did) ended up being that I didn't mind just...walking. Most of the time, I just strolled through the game at a lackadaisical pace, taking in the sights, and feeling like I was walking through the streets of Kamurocho and Onomichi. It's relaxing...even if half the time Kiryu just gets jumped by thugs.

It's still not perfect, though. The first person mode is great for getting really immersed, but the game does nothing outside of the minimap to show where things are in the world, which means either having this big, intrusive map, or turning it off and trying to go on memory. I can do that in broad strokes, at least for Kamurocho, which is still mostly unchanged after all these years (for better and worse). But I ended up keeping the minimap on, because the alternative just meant I was pausing the game to check the map way more often. It allows for setting a waypoint that shows on the minimap, but I would have liked if that at least appeared in the world, or if the game had any sort of a less intrusive way to show where things are.

I often see people praise these games for having small, but dense areas, rather than huge, sprawling worlds, and while I generally agree, I also think these are too small. This is the same Kamurocho I've been wandering since Yakuza 3, and presumably the same Kamurocho from the first two as well. Of course 3 was the first one to not have loads and camera cuts just walking down the street, which would have been a meaningful change, but that doesn't change that it's the same layout.

Yes, that can feel good at times, because it feels like I'm returning to an old haunt. Going back to a place that might look a little different at first glance, but still feels like home. But it can be just as disappointing, when I'm back and it feels like the only ways it's truly changed are ways that make it smaller. I don't mean that it feels smaller, I mean that it's literally smaller. Granted, it's ultimately only a few streets, but there's parts of Kamurocho from the older games that are just blocked off in Yakuza 6. Still on the map, but there's construction going on, I guess, so no going there. That, and it's still a bummer to have the edges of the playable areas just have big red things pop up if you try to go any further.

Onomichi, as pleasant as it is, is even smaller, and has even less to do in it. It was nice to walk around for an hour, but after that, I just wished for more. It stopped feeling like a real town I was visiting, and felt like a small level in a video game. Sure, one with lots of detail, but not enough to actually feel alive. And even within these small spaces, there's too many fenced, or gated off areas that are simply inaccessible. The areas wouldn't even need to be physically larger if there was a lot more going on in the spaces. Sure, there's a handful of places that can be entered, but there's far more that can't. I'm not saying Kiryu should be able to barge into every person's apartment, but what if there was a way onto every roof of the game? What if the sewers weren't just one spot that Kiryu goes to for the story, and were big enough that they might as well be their own level? I know things like this are often more limited by resources, and even tech, but that won't stop me from thinking about what this game should have, and probably could have been.

I dunno. I really wanted, and expected to have a great time with Yakuza 6. I've truly loved these games in the past, even when they had issues. And while nothing in 6 reaches the lowest lows of the awful transmisogyny in 0, nothing in it approaches the highest highs of that game, or any of the other great moments in the others. It even felt like it was struggling to meet the averages of them most of the time.

Ono Michio is the highlight of the entire game.
    Ono Michio is the highlight of the entire game.

Even the sub stories aren't up to par. The ones where Kiryu dresses up as Onomichi's mascot Ono Michio stand out as the best in 6, but most of them just aren't that memorable. A whole branch of them just seem to be built around the joke that Kiryu is old and isn't familiar with technology. There's multiple sub stories about people trying to scam Kiryu out of money over the phone, for example. Again, they're not really bad so much as they just feel...average. There are a couple that call back to things from Yakuza 0, and even feature returning characters from that game, even if they look like they've aged twice as much as Kiryu has over the same period of time. But, again, doing a quest involving the same cult from 0 didn't feel novel, it just felt like they were rehashing the same story, for anyone who might not have played 0.

I don't want to call the game bad, because as much as I griped, I did come around on the combat, and there were brief moments, like a fistfight in a burning building where everything clicked, and it started to feel like the Yakuza games that I know and love. But looking back on everything I've written, I have to at least admit this is my by far least favorite of the series. In time, I'll probably find my lack of wanting to call it bad because of how much I've loved previous games diminish as I get some distance from the game. Don't be surprised if by the end of the year, when I'm doing my GOTY stuff, that I say I should rename my "Todd Howard Presents the Fallout 4 Award for Most Disappointing Game," because I feel like that's the trajectory I'm going to have with this game.

And given it's Kiryu's last new game, that's a bummer.

I'm reminded of, how last year, after loving so much of 0, I didn't want to play Kiwami, and burn out on a sub-par Yakuza game. Except now, after playing a sub-par Yakuza game, I'm hoping that Kiwami 2 is really good, so I can play that, and leave the series on a better note.

Here's to hoping.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Good read. I skipped the spoiler stuff because I’m only about 75% in, but I agree with a lot of your criticisms. As someone else who has greatly enjoyed this series (except for 5, which I almost entirely disliked because of how it was put together), I feel like a lot of 6 has a phoned in quality to it. At this point the double and triple crosses and late game reveals are so trite that I don’t even revel in discovering if my predictions are right or wrong. I’m just kinda like “meh of course, that reveal has happened in literally every game at this point.” I also find the Troublr missions boring, the sub-stories thoroughly mediocre, and even though I’m a wrestling guy, I haven’t wanted to engage in any of that clan battling stuff with the new japan guys. Especially when the game forces me to stop whatever I’m doing to deal with it.

I don’t know. The whole thing just has a tired, bored quality to it. I kinda wish so many people wouldn’t have answered the question of “should I play the other games in the series first” with “no,” because this entry is so disappointing compared to when the series is firing on all cylinders, ie with Yakuza 2 and Yakuza 4. At least with 2, people will get to experience the remake later this year and see what a masterful game that was compared to this one, but I’m worried 4 is gonna be trapped on PS3 forever. But here’s hoping.

I always say this, but I’ll say it again: Tale my opinions with a grain of salt. I thought 6 was miles better than 5, which I straight up disliked, and some people think 5 is one of the best entries in the series. So anyway.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Nubster

Long read! Good read!

I agree with a lot of it. The combat was pretty rough until it wasn't, and while I liked how you had to engage in side content more often for the Charm and Technique XP, I ended up 9999 for everything else while those two XP sat at around 100-1000, often getting spent on one single upgrade.

The story as a whole suffers from a lot of the same boring tropes that many Japanese stories do (namely women existing for men to fight over, nerds being also really strong, and just outright awful plans (I MEAN SERIOUSLY STOP PUTTING THE SKIMASKS ON THEY DON'T HELP)), but the editing and voice acting is damn beautiful. (Ps I largely disliked Majima's story in 0 because of Makoto, it was a predictable arc)

I think the biggest crime is how new it feels. It's a massive change in tech and it really shows. Enemies fly twenty feet in the air and get back on their feet before they hit the ground. The amount of side content is slashed, and what's there isn't nearly as goofy. The new characters feel largely throwaway. The framerate and general look are horrific. I bought a ps4 Pro because the game was literally giving me a headache.

Ive only played Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, so right now Yakuza 6 is a solid second place contender. I couldn't imagine liking the story in Kiwami without the background of Yakuza 0, so at least Yakuza 6 feels largely standalone Becuase of its focus on Kiryu and a new cast. However, I fully expect the other games to continually push Yakuza 6 down into the bottom tier as I play them.

I can't say I didn't have a good time with it but there are so, so many spots where it needed to be better.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I just finished it and agree with most of what you said. The plot is overly complicated and character motivations are mishandled as best most of the time. And aside from the story, all the features around the edges are a step down from Zero and even 5. The engine seems like a good base for the franchise going forward but I wish they would have cut their teeth on Kiwami 2 then did the send of for Kiryu. That being said I am looking forward to Kiwami 2 and Shin Yakuza because I do think this is a good base for the franchise going forward, I just wish Kiryu's last game wasn't just a stepping stone for furture ones.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster:I will say, it was not until I had already written this blog that I realized you're supposed to be doing the other sorts of side content to get that other XP. Which, is certainly a design choice, but when I need that XP to level up my combat skills, that seems like an odd choice. It's not like playing lots of Space Harrier will give me Space Harrier XP, you know? Especially when most of those side minigames are fun once or twice, but not anything I'd want to grind for XP. I say, having spent time this afternoon grinding in that bar in Onomichi because I want to do the "Japanese Cheers" (as Alex called it) sub stories. I think I've only gotten one of them thus far.

Okay, but the ski masks, I actually thought was funny, specifically because they barely worked to begin with (like no one would recognize Kiryu's suit and shirt!), and they always just pull them off anyway.

And yeah, the more time that passes between when I played 0 and now, the less I like about what happened around Makoto. At least she did have some agency of her own toward the end of the game (at least until she got hospitalized). 0 is still by far my favorite of the series, and Majima is my favorite character, both in terms of how he's written and how he plays, but yeah.

In my memory, at least, 4 is also really great (my second favorite), but I haven't played it since 2011, and I don't really remember too much about it, outside of a few specific things. If you still have a PS3 at the ready, or they ever remaster it for PS4, 4 (again, keeping in mind that I haven't played it in 7 years) has my recommendation.

@youeightit: Yeah, 5, I actually had been thinking pretty poorly of, but then I went back and re-read what I wrote about it a couple years ago (which I linked to), and at least then it was really more the back chunk of the game (pretty much Shinada's section and the final act) that I disliked. But as for what happened before then, I pretty much only remember doing endless taxi races and bear hunting, neither of which was great but I did because I had, and continue to have way too much free time. That and dancing.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: I haven’t read your piece on 5 yet but I’m going to as soon as I get the chance. I feel what you said about the bear hunting and taxi races soooo hard. But I will say this, I thought the best parts of the game were Haruka’s bits. I loved the rhythm stuff a lot, even though while I was playing I was like well, this is a bad rhythm game.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youeightit: It also could have used more than like...two songs for Haruka to sing. I forget the exact number, but it was not high.

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I think Kiwami 2 is worth your time, and probably the best send-off for the series. It's still not as good as 0 (few games are...), but waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy better than Kiwami 1. 2 also has possibly the only worthwhile/strong female character in the series (who apparently wasn't very popular among fans, and promptly was written out of future games, ugh)

I got into the series with Beast in the East, so I am biased towards 0 and the games that build upon that. After playing Kiwami and Kiwami 2 (chinese version), and knowing a decent amount about the other sequels, I really have no desire to keep going in the series. 0 - 1 - 2 is as great a trilogy of videogames as any other. But by 6 it seems very few characters from 0 (and most of them were spectacular) are even around any more. The end of 2 also wraps up Makoto and Majima's story (the side story is very short, uneven in quality, but at the very least the cutscenes are worth youtubing), and Kiryu's 2nd love story. I am more that content to leave it at that.

I am much more interested in a new main character, or as rumored today, a new IP from the studio.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I remember loving the first game a decade ago, and haven't touched the series at all since. It's possible it's aged poorly, but I recall it having a really good, self contained, story. The million sequels it got always baffled me.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@mooseymcman: I'm with you about the ski masks as a goof, but there are a couple of serious events that transpire from the ski masks not working and I think that's a bit hokey. Although the unmentioned visual gag of everyone seemingly having multiple identically-built and colour-coded ski masks in their back pockets was hilarious. It would have worked as a joke, instead of being built through the main story. Then again the story basically starts with Kiryu abducting an infant, so whatever I guess.

Also real quick, one last proper spoiler-ass disappointment: I wish Kiryu would have punched Sugai after getting shot up by him. I mean seriously, how awesome would it have been for bullet-ridden Dragon of Dojima to continue laying the smack-down? Missed opportunity.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with most of the criticisms posted here regarding 6 but I still think it's my favorite one. I couldn't get into Yakuza until 0 because quality of life improvements finally reached a point where the positives outweighed the negatives to me. Previously I had played 1, 3, 4, and 5 to degrees but never had one stick for various reasons that were gameplay/mechanics related.

Not all the changes are for the better. Echoing what others have stated about some of the changes, the green xp category levels insanely slow, a number of skills could be negated if the game was balanced better, aliasing so jagged that it looks like everything in the background is made of barbed wire.

But I dig everything about Onomichi. I think the new side activities (spearfishing, clan creator, Snack Gaudi, and baseball manager) are better than what's been offered in the previous games. I prefer the flow and physics of 6's combat, all dialogue being voiced.

Off topic but it's gonna be interesting when 3, 4, and 5 get released on ps4. I know that they're just remasters but I hope they get some updates because they felt dated when they were originally released and I can't imagine how they'd play now after the improvements/changes made to the series since 0.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By MeatSim

I will give them some slack for the combat in this game, since they built a new engine they probably had to build the combat system and lot of the animations from scratch which is why I think it's lacking the depth and variety the last few games had, though the new XP system seemed like a misstep.

The story on the other hand I will give less slack, In the 1st act characters refuse to divulge important information to Kiyru for no adequate reason, trust isn't an issue as they quickly let Kiyru into their life's and have him help solve their problems yet they keep stringing him along for most of the 1st act. Then later a character divulges way to much information that's he gains nothing from and is detrimental to him and seemly only does it because the revelation that just happened makes zero sense to Kiryu or the player without any context or explanation. Also Haruka finds Yuta beating an unconscious man and goes from highly disturbed to wanting to jump his bones over the course of 60 seconds because the unconscious man hes beating was a paparazzi spying on her.

Just a lot of bizarre or nonexistent character motivations all around and yes Kiryu making the same mistakes over and over is very frustrating.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@meatsim: Yeah as much as I love this series a lot of the characters dont seem to learn from their mistakes, to be fair though a lot of people are the same way. Haruka in particular makes some real dumb choices in this game.

I liked Onomichi, it reminded me of Okinawa from 3. I get why you'd get tired of it though. (OP) I already voiced my opinion of the plot in the general discussion thread but I agree with a lot of the points in this thread. But I like enough of the game to excuse them, to be honest the overall plot in the Yakuza series can be needlessly convoluted and ridiculous but there are a lot of great moments and likable characters that make it much more memorable than most games, to me at least.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatsim: I can definitely see Haruka falling for Yuta. So many people irl fall for someone who’s similar to a parent or sibling and a yakuza with a heart of gold who beats up ppl to solve problems sounds a lot like Kiryu. Though him being played by a recognizable actor gave away who Haruto’s father was gonna be.

But yes, Kiryu never learning from mistakes is frustrating and I’m not sold on how his part of the story ended. Also, as mentioned in previous posts, this series needs better female and trans representation.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I enjoyed it a lot, the main problems I have with it are problems that have always been part of these games and I can happily overlook them (dumb plot twists for the sake of it, questionable character motivations, leaving the big bad alive next to a gun JUST long enough to shoot a main character)

The only new thing I had an issue with was the combat, nice to see parry again and I love the action cam with the Extreme Heat Finishers but the throw and drop kick are OP and I found myself needing to use them more often than I'd like. I really don't like how when an enemy blocks it interrupts my combo but I do like that they nerfed the tiger drop so bosses can actually take a punch or two.

The changes to XP and food make them systems much more engaging imo but at the end my progress was getting bottle-necked by a lack of the green XP. All told I think it's a solid foundation for future titles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.