Favorite Zombie Movie?

#1 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -

Just wanted to know what everyone's favorite zombie movie is.

#2 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

I guess Resident Evil.

#3 Posted by TwoLines (2804 posts) -

Shaun of the Dead.. Great one. Made me laugh really hard.

#4 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Shaun of the Dead, or Dawn of the Dead (original, not the trash remake)

#5 Posted by Mr_Bauer (398 posts) -

28 Weeks Later

#6 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3091 posts) -

28 Days Later. So sue me if they aren't exactly "zombies"

#7 Posted by MiniGuns (143 posts) -

Shaun Of The Dead. I laugh everytime I watch it.

#8 Posted by Virago (2486 posts) -

Yeah, Shaun for me too.

Though Kristen Dunst was a GREAT zombie in spiderman 3. O_O
#9 Posted by Joker (675 posts) -

Shaun of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, and Day of the Dead.

#10 Edited by FalseDeity (229 posts) -

Dawn (Romero) or Shaun probably.

#11 Edited by CallMeRotten (229 posts) -

My two personal faves would be the original Night of the Living Dead and the Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead would be a very close third. Land of the Dead wasn't that bad, the original Dawn is classic but I still prefer the remake (blasphemy I know).

I have yet to see Day of the Dead (heard the remake was crap) or the Zombi films, I'll eventually get around to checking out Diary of the Dead even though I haven't read a single thing good about it. 28 Days Later looked great but the whole sprinting Zombies thing was lame (yeah I know they had'em in the Dawn remake too), and I'm a firm believer that every Zombie flick has to end on a down note and getting rescued at the end made me write the whole thing off. I did read that the original ending was actually much better but test audiences felt it was "too bleak"..are you effin kidding me!? who the hell did they screen the film to the PTA or a troop of Brownies?

*chokes on his own rage*

Oh yeah and Planet Terror turned out to be okay.

#12 Posted by bluesails (11 posts) -

Shaun of the Dead, definitely. :)

I can't wait for World War Z, though.

#13 Posted by Euryb (110 posts) -

Shaun of the Dead. Diary Of The Dead or Automaton Transfusion. If you havent seen Automaton its an amazing low budget zombie film that was shot in like 7 days with a  $10,000 budget and when you take that into consideration its incredible.

#14 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -
TwoLines said:
"Shaun of the Dead.. Great one. Made me laugh really hard.
"
Same here I've seen that movie so many times.
#15 Posted by pyromaniac (1703 posts) -

I actually liked the Dawn of the Dead remake..it was kinda lame but the girl was kinda cute so yeah lol..it was worth it.

#16 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1480 posts) -

Shaun of the Dead's my favorite movie ever, so that's an easy choice.
I only liked one scene from Automaton Transfusion, the scene with the pregnant girl and the zombie?
Completely ridiculously awesome.

#17 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

Man...this thread is a lot of fail so far.

Here, I'll make it full of win!!!

Dead Alive
Zombi
Night of the Living Dead franchise (as long as Romero is directing it)
#18 Edited by logson (521 posts) -
#19 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Dawn of The Dead Remake and Land of the Dead.

#20 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
FalseDeity said:
"Dawn (Romero) or Shaun probably.
"
this, also 28 days/weeks later, and dawn of the dead remake, yes, it was somewhat shitty, but still enjoyable.
#21 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Without a doubt the original Dawn of the Dead.

#22 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -
CallMeRotten said:
28 Days Later looked great but the whole sprinting Zombies thing was lame (yeah I know they had'em in the Dawn remake too), and I'm a firm believer that every Zombie flick has to end on a down note and getting rescued at the end made me write the whole thing off. I did read that the original ending was actually much better but test audiences felt it was "too bleak"..are you effin kidding me!? who the hell did they screen the film to the PTA or a troop of Brownies?
This is not true.  While the original ending WAS a sort of Pyrrhic victory, it was not changed because it was too bleak.  It was changed because it was implausible.  The subsequent endings Garland (the screenwriter) and Boyle (the director) cycled through were more plausible, but less and less compelling. 

I could PM you the basic rundown of the original ending, but it's too lengthy to post here.  My problem with 28 Days Later is that it doesn't add much to the story, or the theme, as a whole.  Days is all about gender reversal (Selena, for most of the film, is more masculine) and human nature (Do we all have this sort of blind rage within us--as suggested by Jim in the climax of the film; is this rage worse than monomaniacal egoism--as demonstrated by the military occupants of the base), but the ending of the film contributes to neither of those themes.  I have no problem with the three of them being saved, but there is no thematic coup de grâce there.  It's just a nice, tidy little ending, which sort of betrays the motivations for making the movie in the first place.

In any case, I sort of agree that the 28 series ought not be categorized with normal zombie flicks, but I'm not elitist enough to ignore the fact that there is no better way to organize it into the horror film canon. 

Because of that, I vote 28 Days Later as my favorite.  I think it is a pretty brilliant film. 
#23 Posted by Xymox (2083 posts) -

Original Dawn and Evil Dead 2. 

#24 Posted by Froghourt (108 posts) -

Dawn of the Dead is awesome, the remake is good too.

#25 Posted by Meltbrain (2969 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"Without a doubt the original Dawn of the Dead."
You and me both, buddy. Love that film. The remake was cool but still doesn't touch the original. Also shaun of the dead is a comedy film more than a real zombie film.
#26 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -
Meltbrain said:
"DualReaver said:
"Without a doubt the original Dawn of the Dead."
You and me both, buddy. Love that film. The remake was cool but still doesn't touch the original. Also shaun of the dead is a comedy film more than a real zombie film."
I love the scene in Romero's Dawn of the Dead where the zombie crawls onto the crate only to have the top of his skull lopped off by the spinning helicopter blade.
#27 Posted by Meltbrain (2969 posts) -
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Meltbrain said:
"DualReaver said:
"Without a doubt the original Dawn of the Dead."
You and me both, buddy. Love that film. The remake was cool but still doesn't touch the original. Also shaun of the dead is a comedy film more than a real zombie film."
I love the scene in Romero's Dawn of the Dead where the zombie crawls onto the crate only to have the top of his skull lopped off by the spinning helicopter blade."
Hahaha yeah and the special effects are totally bad cause the dudes forehead is massive. Nice avatar by the way lift your skinny fists is a great album.
#28 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

plannet terror
because it is an awesome parody but still delivers enough original stuff to make it interesting

#29 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -
calf_exercises said:
"plannet terror
because it is an awesome parody but still delivers enough original stuff to make it interesting"
I <3 Planet Terror. 

My favorite scene is when the whole crew is deliberating inside the Barbecue Restaurant, and Freddie Rodriguez tries to get the strip club owner to go out and start the truck.  The banter is hilariously delivered. 

"Go out and start the killdozer."
"You fuckin' crazy?  I ain't goin' out there."
"I never miss."
"I'm not goin'."
#30 Posted by Oriental_Jams (3063 posts) -

Original Dawn of the Dead or Shaun of the Dead.

#31 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

My zombie film knowledge isn't as vast as it should be so I'm going to say Shaun of the Dead and for a non-comedy choice I'll pick 28 Days Later.

#32 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Shaun of the Dead and the Evil Dead series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.