Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zone of the Enders

Franchise »

Zone of the Enders is a series created by Hideo Kojima. It is set in the future and heavily involves mechs. The franchise was adapted to an anime by Sunrise.

For the two people who care: Konami axes ZoE sequel

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

Taken from Shacknews - http://www.shacknews.com/article/79036/zone-of-the-enders-sequel-suspended

A new Zone of the Enders game has been put on ice, at least for the time being. Another game in Hideo Kojima's mecha action series was announced in May of last year, but Kojima says those plans were shelved after the disappointing HD Collection.

On an episode of Kojima's online radio show (translated by Kotaku), he talked about the scuttled project. He said the HD remaster didn't live up to his standards, cost the company too much time and money, and ultimately disappointed fans. He also noted that the original team didn't make the HD version, and that the HD version's quality probably frustrates them. Due to all that, the sequel has been scrapped.

"Even when people abroad see me, I'm often asked about a Zone of the Enders sequel," he said. "Right now, nothing's happening. We originally said we were going to do a sequel, but the team has been disbanded." He also noted that "because of what happened, the producer and everything were cut, too."

Kojima himself was only going to produce the new ZOE, handing the reins of writing and designing to others at the studio. He did note that he'd still like to hear from fans if they would like a new ZOE, but that's no guarantee of another game.

I am super duper bummed but not at all surprised. I bought the HD collection specifically to help avoid this outcome but I guess there simply weren't enough people like me out there. At this rate, I highly doubt we'll ever see another ZoE game. Pour one out for Jehuty.

No Caption Provided

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

These two people I suppose. ZoE does seem to have a fanbase but they're in the "aging" demographic at this point.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Cloudenvy

Good to see that the HD collection disappointed him, because it damn well should. That thing could've been so cool, but so many dumb things were present in that release.

Shame about the sequel getting axed because of it though.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@starvinggamer: Well I was going to slap another adjective prior to aging to make the blow a bit more gentle. Personally I just heard how short the first game was and at the time played games almost exclusively for length (though I did put like 50 hours into the Bouncer somehow) and that turned me off, never really got over that hump or I could join you in your oldness.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Aww... I guess that HD collection is the one and only time we'll see Jehuty in 1080p..

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fuckfuckfuckFUCK

Maybe they'll pull an MGR and give it to Platinum. Seems like their kind of speed.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@thunderslash: I'll play fucking anything that Platinum makes (though still haven't quite gotten around to buying MGR *cough*)

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Dudes you seem to be reading this with too much negativity and fatalism.

The facts are

THEY WERE GOING TO DO A SEQUEL.

THE SEQUEL HAS BEEN PUT ON HOLD (yes this does not mean it will be made, however it does not mean it wont be.)

It was put on hold since the team that did the HD remake FUCKED UP BADLY. The HD team were supposed to go it alone and make ZOE3 except if they fucked up so badly on the HD remakes why would you give them an entire new project? It is because of this that the ZOE name has been fumbled in making the name relevant too all not just us older dudes. Which would help the profit margin and at least guarantee it will break even, anything under breaking even is inhuman to ask from them and even asking to break even is just rude.

Kojima scrapped the team due to the poor results and after the lose the HD remake caused not matter how many of us well meaning duders bought it the hole is still in Kojima's pocket, they cannot entertain the thought of bringing a risky ZOE3 game to the markets after a lose. They would need a serious GOOD attempted one.

This in the most naive way means its just like it said "On Hold till its time to make it" in the most fatalist way "its axed for good." there is still plenty of middles ground dudes.

QuaglarTheIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am super duper bummed but not at all surprised. I bought the HD collection specifically to help avoid this outcome but I guess there simply weren't enough people like me out there. At this rate, I highly doubt we'll ever see another ZoE game. Pour one out for Jehuty.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I DID THIS TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

ZoE 2 is one of my favorite PS2 games, as well as my favorite "giant robots beat the shit out of each other game."

I was disappointed with the HD version... I only played to about the 3rd level and was not feeling it, but when I broke out my PS2 version I remembered how awesome it is.

I'm sure they'll eventually get around to a new ZoE. It might just be in the form of Metal Gear Rising 2: Raiden of the Enders.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

Soooo the HD collection wasn't up to their standards of quality, therefore the sequel has been cancelled?

Is he simply neglecting to mention that sales sucked as well or something?

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cameron

Damn, I love those first two games (well, the first one is alright, but hot damn that second one is good). I didn't buy the HD collection because it looked like junk. You seriously can't get two up-rezed PS2 games running at 60FPS? Hell, I would have taken a solid 30FPS. I'm sure it didn't sell well, but at least part of that should be blamed on the terrible job they did on it rather than fan apathy. It's good to see Kojima recognize that it was a poor product.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderslash: Oh right just from my wrong interpretation of the what was said, Saying HD team disappointing and then talks about laying off a team.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Nilazz

My face is looking very sad right now :[

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

So how bad where the HD remakes? i know there where framerate problems and a few effects where different, but from videos as far as i can tell it looks playable. Is it just that the ports didn't meet the PS2 standards (no reason they shouldn't) so people are bashing it, or is it really that shitty? I was going to buy it when i finish my backlog and the price goes down a little, but if it is really that bad i might reconsider.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no reason to live anymore i guess

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

Even my butt is frowning.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well Damn...that sucks

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By wrighteous86

no reason to live anymore i guess

That's not funny...

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I totally asked some guy in a videogame store about it on the day of its supposed European release and he couldn't find it in his database at all. After that I sort of didn't bother ever asking about it again, also partly because of its reputation of being of poor quality.

I still consider picking it up from time to time, since I don't own a PS2 copy of either of the games. Bummer about the sequel, I hope we can see one someday. Seems like the blue bird got away once again.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I can just imagine a single tear rolling down HIdeo Kojima's cheek right now, while higher up Konami execs bullwhip the guy and tell him to get back to work on that "Metal Gear Money."

~ "That'll do Kojima, that'll do."

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By redcream

Aw, man. ZOE2 is still one of the finest game there is and the only mech game I played where movement doesn't feel stilted.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Loading Video...

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What does Konami actually do nowadays? They don't release many games and nothing outside Metal Gear and a few Castlevanias.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@redcream said:

Aw, man. ZOE2 is still one of the finest game there is and the only mech game I played where movement doesn't feel stilted.

Agreed. An entire generation passes without a new installment in this franchise. This sucks.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awww damn :(

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Solh0und

@jcgamer said:

What does Konami actually do nowadays? They don't release many games and nothing outside Metal Gear and a few Castlevanias.

Don't forget the PES games.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd buy the 2nd one... it looked fun. Too bad they only sale them together on PSN. Don't really want to play the 1st one. Looked like the 2nd one but not as good, obviously. Never played ZoE. Sale them separate SONY!

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By lego_my_eggo

Well at least they are patching the PS3 version of the HD collection apparently. So i will probably buy it, then be sad that a new Z.O.E. is not coming out.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By Seppli

Don't quite get the logic of gaging the demand for an all-new ZoE by looking at the sales numbers of a HD-collection of the old games in the franchise.

If you were confident that you could make a killer next gen ZoE game, then the relatively low interest in the HD-collection should not dissuade you from pursuing that project - because you'd believe that it'd speak for itself. The cult following of the older games could only be to your benefit, regardless of how small it is. I for one didn't get the HD collection, despite loving both games, because I'm just too old to replay games. There's way too much stuff I haven't played yet. I'd wager the core gaming demographic is getting older on average, and such an attitude to become more widespread.

I'd say most players who got ZoE2 do love the franchise, for it was a baller experience, and I can only imagine what could be done scope and scale-wise, if the next ZoE game would be slated as a next generation exclusive. It's a perfect fit to show off high fidelity destruction and other high density interactivity - and deliver a larger than life experience poised to blow minds. Hell - Giant Robots/Exo-Skeleton Suits are shaping up to be the next trend in entertainment, looking at all the games and movies featuring such subject matter - like Pacific Rim and Titan and Elysium.

Konami/KojiPro - where's your confidence?

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jcgamer said:

Well there is more to Konami than their video games arm. They do have divisions that do stuff like pachinko and pokie machines. I don't know how much of their revenue is in gambling machines vs video games etc. And they do little bits of publishing here and there. I dunno. Although I wouldn't mind if Konami narrowed their scope to solely Kojima games and terrible, terrible press conferences. But I suspect what they're really doing is a gritty Twin Bee reboot... :O

To the thread at hand, I love all things Metal Gear, but I haven't played a ZOE game. I was thinking of getting the HD collection. Would people recommend against this? Should I just get the PS2 games off ebay or something?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

There will be a sequel one day. 2nd runner is too good.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cloudenvy

Well at least they are patching the PS3 version of the HD collection apparently. So i will probably buy it, then be sad that a new Z.O.E. is not coming out.

The day the games in that collection run at a rock-solid 60 frames will be the day I purchase it. Go go, Kojima.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MegaLombax

Man...this sucks big time.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By supamon

Just hope this isn't going to end up like Megaman Legends. I mean, more than 2 people care about ZOE right guys? Guys?

gob-bluth-gif-1

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.