Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alice: Madness Returns

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

Alice is back, and so is her fragile grasp on reality. She must journey through both Victorian London and the dark world of Wonderland to retain her sanity and find out the truth behind her family's deaths, in this long-awaited sequel to American McGee's Alice.

3D platformers in 2011...sigh

• 61 results
    Avatar image for osheadiesstupid
    OsheaDiesStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OsheaDiesStupid

First of all, I am really impressed with Ryan's review of this game, I think  it's maybe one of the best written reviews on the site this year.  

Now, I'm a  fan of the original Alice, but I wasn't looking forward for Madness Returns for a simple reason: I don't think 3D platformers work anymore. Jumping around from one island to the next is not intuitive at all in this type of games, and the camera is universally problematic. Back in 2001, this genre was very popular, so Alice was one of the stand-out games due to its unique subject matter. Nowadays, I just don't see a purpose for game mechanics like this. Fortunately, after 2 hours of playing Alice 2 I am enjoying the game somewhat, but I think it's mostly due to the fantastic look and the great soundtrack. I really like the "adventure" parts, and I think some of the voice acting is great. But the level design and combat are lacking, in my opinion. They just seem archaic and clumsy.  

Also, I find it funny that some people complain to EA that they didn't get their pre-order dresses with the game. Just the idea of male gamers upset that they can't change Alice's DRESS is.. 

Edit: Nevermind actually I saw a video with those DLC dresses and they're badass. I might actually buy them right now. 

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By yoshimitz707

Yeah man, 3D platformers just don't work. Remember how awful Mario Galaxy 2 was?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael

There's nothing wrong with 3D platforming. See Super Mario Galaxy, Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia...

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

You are the reason Rare can't make nice things anymore.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I myself look forward to the day when platformers become ubiquitous again. That's not to say that they're dead, but they've certainly been languishing.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By dagas

@OsheaDiesStupid said:

Just the idea of male gamers upset that they can't change Alice's DRESS is.. Edit: Nevermind actually I saw a video with those DLC dresses and they're badass. I might actually buy them right now.

It takes guts to admit you are wrong, especially when you admit you like dresses. You have my respect!

nothing wrong with alternate outfits in games.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Maajin

I think the genre "working" or not on 2011 is totally subjective. I don't think that the sports genre works at all for me, bu they keep making and selling a lot of them.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous

I wish there were more 3D platformers.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By sameeeeam
    @Icemael said:
    There's nothing wrong with 3D platforming. See Super Mario Galaxy, Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia...
    This.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By flaminghobo
    @Icemael said:
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Mcfart
    @Icemael said:
    You forgot to mention Duke Nukem Forever
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LordXavierBritish said:
    +1
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By shiftymagician
    @ajamafalous said:

I wish there were more 3D platformers.

Same.  I'm so glad this also came out on PC as well.  Didn't think they would do that.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By valrog

I enjoy 3D platforming a lot more than 2D.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never bought into the idea that it's hard to judge jumps in a 3D game, I've never had a problem with it and judging from Mario Galaxy's popularity most people don't either, it just seems to be one of those phrases that gets picked up and used to exhaustion. I mean if you're struggling to judge a distance in a game 3D then how are you interacting with it at all?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jadeskye

@yoshimitz707 said:

Yeah man, 3D platformers just don't work. Remember how awful Mario Galaxy 2 was?

Werd.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Devil240Z

The last 3d platformer I played was Spyro on PS1.

Its a failed genre.

Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Taklulas
    @LordXavierBritish said:
      People like him are the reason we can't have ANYTHING nice. *looks at the BF3 boycott*
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I love 3D platformers. I want to see more of them in 2011. It's sad that the genre has fallen off.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By SBYM

Dude, WHATEVER. I kind of miss having a lot of decent 3D platformers to choose from.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kjellm87

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

One of my favorite games this gen, maybe all time fav, happens to be one.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hero_swe

Saying stuff is intuitive just means it's easier. I don't want Mario levels of easy gaming. I want my Ninja Gaiden Black. More platforming and harder games for the masses!
    theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By theoldhouse

I prefer 3d platforming than 2d platforming 

It's less precise but in most cases feels more exhilarating. To me anyway.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sooty

We need more Gex the Gecko.

Like now.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vortextk

Nothing in this game for me feels clunky...it's just kind of long and drawn out. You're sailing on a lot of air vent/fan things, running on a lot of narrow ledges and making tons of jumps. I enjoy it even if it isn't exhilarating. I mean, three spin/jumps in the air, the fact that really nothing you have to land on is smaller than 4x4 alices and the float guarantee missing jumps is going to always be your fault. You can usually skip some platforms or hit them when they're closest to the next jump, rather than close to you, because of the massive aerial control/distance she has. The only problem I have with combat is the lock on camera refuses to change views on solo guys so if you lock on to a guy and hes in the corner of the screen, he stays in the corner until you release/lock on again with a better view. And as far as 3d platforming in 2011 goes, man I MISS this, I just wish the game had a bit more tricks up its sleeve.

Even in like assassin's creed, you know you're going to make the jump and grab the ledge, there's no guess or real work involved, because it's supposed to be easy to focus on everything else. And games like uncharted and enslaved can't even halfway use the platformer monicker describing one aspect of their gameplay, it's basically on rails jumping(I like both of those games). Mirror's edge kinda worked but I agree with the review here, Ryan I think as well, that I couldn't tell what I was doing wrong when I would screw up a jump 10 times in a row nor what I did differently when it worked. Was kind of poor design around a fantastic idea.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Ygg said:

We need more Gex the Gecko. Like now.

*brain implodes due to nostalgia*

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Zippedbinders

Man, I'm hearing about all kinds of games that don't "work" in 2011. Apparently everything has gone on too long and we can't have games of certain genres. Just because the 3D platformer has fallen out of vogue doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Ratchet and Clank is still around, being pretty excellent, Mario has been tearing it up in fantastic ways, a new Sly is around the corner. 

It boggles the mind that some people are of the impression that a genre doesn't work anymore because of what year it is.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By benjaebe

The world needs more 3D platformers. Loving Alice so far.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I agree, but I also acknowledge I'm completely in the minority.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By onarum

Yeah, eff any kind of game that isn't a modern military shooter like thing, they should have put Alice on army issue fatigues and have her go from cover to cover fighting in some plot involving nukes, because that's totally original and all, amirite?

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32  Edited By granderojo

I never played the first Alice, I plan on doing so, but yeah I love Madness Returns. It's like the sequel to Psychonaughts that I never got. Also I am playing on PC so I'm not getting any of the technical issues that the consoles are getting and it looks great.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kashif1
    @Hero_Swe said:
    Saying stuff is intuitive just means it's easier. I don't want Mario levels of easy gaming. I want my Ninja Gaiden Black. More platforming and harder games for the masses!
    not nessesarily, ninja gaiden could also be called intuitive.  The fighting is responsive and most of the moves are easy to get to.  The challenge comes from actually knowing when to use them and when to dodge.  For an unintuitive control scheme I suggest looking at  crisis core, its a great game but scrolling through materia to get to most of the spells is annoying.
    conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By conker
    @Ygg said:
    We need more Gex the Gecko.  Like now.
    SHiieeee son, Gex was amazing!
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#35  Edited By jacksukeru

I miss 3D platformers that aren't Mario or secretly 3rd person shooters (Ratchet & Clank) it's one of the reasons I'll be picking up Alice sometime soon.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36  Edited By korolev

Alice Madness returns's problem was the repetitive enemies and the fact that you had long stretches of same-same gameplay before something new would come along. I know we all like long games, but actually, I feel A:MR would have benefited from being a bit shorter. Do one "jump onto spouts of air to get to a plaform" puzzle, and you've done them all. A:MA is a good game, but that's due to the story. Far too many times it presented very similar platform segments that weren't hard or very challenging.... they were just there to make the game longer.

I stress that A:MA is a good game and that you should play it - but it's flaw wasn't in the 3D platforming - the flaw was that it had too many similar and rather boring platforming segments. Mario Galaxy 2 knew how to do 3D platforming right: bite-sized chunks, incredibly varied environments, and, in some cases, vastly different enemies, objectives and rules. A:MA, on the other hand, despite having gorgeous environments, doesn't really change things up too much when you're actually in the environment. It relies on the same puzzles over and over and over again (jump on air vents, shrink, triple jump, etc). Variety is the spice of life, and Alice doesn't have enough variety to make it a truly spectacular game.

Still a good game though. Just not a great one.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By theoldhouse
    @rebgav: I think there exists plenty of terrible 2d and 3d platformers. 

Obviously as everyone has mentioned galaxy 2 is brilliant. And for my money miles ahead of any 2d platformer. 
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#38  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I dunno. In some ways I preferred the market oversaturation of bad 3D platformers in the late 90s to the current market oversaturation of bad FPS games. I mean, either way it's not going to be great, but at least we can all go back and laugh at all the horribly mediocre Mario 64 wannabes with their derivative characters and bad cameras, whereas most of the COD wannabes aren't worth even looking at. Also, Mario Galaxy makes your argument invalid.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By Vorbis

Fed up of the "only 2D platformers are acceptable" mentality, looking forward to the 3D platformer revival, if not then I'll just settle for Alice and Sly 4 when it's released next year.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sooty
    @Cloudenvy said:

@Ygg said:

We need more Gex the Gecko. Like now.

*brain implodes due to nostalgia*

You rang?
     You rang?
    ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ConstantRa1n
    @OsheaDiesStupid said:
    First of all, I am really impressed with Ryan's review of this game, I think  it's maybe one of the best written reviews on the site this year.   Now, I'm a  fan of the original Alice, but I wasn't looking forward for Madness Returns for a simple reason: I don't think 3D platformers work anymore. Jumping around from one island to the next is not intuitive at all in this type of games, and the camera is universally problematic. Back in 2001, this genre was very popular, so Alice was one of the stand-out games due to its unique subject matter. Nowadays, I just don't see a purpose for game mechanics like this. Fortunately, after 2 hours of playing Alice 2 I am enjoying the game somewhat, but I think it's mostly due to the fantastic look and the great soundtrack. I really like the "adventure" parts, and I think some of the voice acting is great. But the level design and combat are lacking, in my opinion. They just seem archaic and clumsy.   Also, I find it funny that some people complain to EA that they didn't get their pre-order dresses with the game. Just the idea of male gamers upset that they can't change Alice's DRESS is..  Edit: Nevermind actually I saw a video with those DLC dresses and they're badass. I might actually buy them right now. 
    Are you from 1987? The 2000's have featured an evolution in the genre of platforming. Read some of the other posts to see which games I'm referring to specifically. See you in the future ;)
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By buzz_killington

They can be done well. Insomniac's Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time is a prime example. I wish there were more of them, actually. I really like that style of game.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zippedbinders
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    I dunno. In some ways I preferred the market oversaturation of bad 3D platformers in the late 90s to the current market oversaturation of bad FPS games. I mean, either way it's not going to be great, but at least we can all go back and laugh at all the horribly mediocre Mario 64 wannabes with their derivative characters and bad cameras, whereas most of the COD wannabes aren't worth even looking at. Also, Mario Galaxy makes your argument invalid.
    This current wave of FPS out the wazoo cannot last, no matter how bad Activision wants it to. All of these things come in waves. FPS games will stop being the "it" genre, and something else will move in. It happened with 2D platformers, it happened with fighting games, it happened with FPS (Doom Clones), it happened with JRPGs, it happened with 3D platformers, it happened with Plastic Instrument rhythm games, its going to happen to FPS again.
    LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LackLuster

I miss 3d platformers and love Alice

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By Rhaknar

Alice's platforming is quite good from the 3 or so hours ive played. She covers so much ground (triple jump WITH gliding after each jump) that you really need to fuck up royally to miss a jump.

Also, im really glad this game exists, as they are a dying breed indeed.

invadernick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By invadernick

I loved 3D platformers back in the day, but I don't think I'll buy this until they fixed the bugs.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FreakAche

I hope after this 2D platformer kick that Nintendo is currently on, that they get back to making a bunch of 3D platformers.  Crossing my fingers for Donkey Kong 64-2 from Retro!

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By benpicko
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By project343

I miss this game--back when Suckerpunch wasn't a known quantity.  

Rocket: Robot On Wheels 
    Rocket: Robot On Wheels 
    Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By Oginam

@Rhaknar said:

Alice's platforming is quite good from the 3 or so hours ive played. She covers so much ground (triple jump WITH gliding after each jump) that you really need to fuck up royally to miss a jump. Also, im really glad this game exists, as they are a dying breed indeed.

This.

Also, story is amazing and dark in ways you'd never even expect. Gonna start promoting it as a goty contender for Best Story now because otherwise I fear it will be forgotten.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.