Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

How necessary is the pro-controller?

• 61 results
    Avatar image for ultimategamer69
    ultimategamer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Switch Pro Controller feels very cheap and the d-pad ain't great definitely not worth £60, but the Joycons are very uncomfortable which makes the Pro unfortunately essential for me.

The switch pro controller is literally the most premium-feeling controller on the market but the dpad isn't perfect

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joy cons are fine. I bought a pro controller for some reason and barely even touched it. But I think it might be different if you want to play a shooter like Doom.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think I may have been blessed with the perfect sized hands for the detached joycons, because they might just be the most comfortable controller I've ever held. The motion control is precise and very useful in games like BotW and Splatoon 2. I'm definitely in the minority, but I don't think I'm ever going to buy a Pro Controller, even though I thought I'd have to when I got my Switch. The joycons are just too perfect for me.

boiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By boiter

i would say 100% very necessary, just as a means of having the standard default nintendo controller that isn't the slightly uncomfortable to handle joycon grip controller. the joycon grips are good but more as a compromise in being a hybrid controller that can also detach and be a horizontal smaller controller, or attach to the system as the handheld controllers.

haven't tried the 8bitdo controllers but they look good? the hori stuff also looks good.

i personally was happy getting the pro controller upfront and lumping the sum together asif the total of the switch+controller was actually the cost of the switch.

the switch pro controller is not perfect. i find the d-pad finicky. get into a grid based menu like the BOTW item select for example, press left quickly followed by right, and the d-pad will generally register a down or up input even though you only press the two horizontal buttons. it has this weird roll over effect because of the ball under the plastic inputting the button presses. it's very weird because it is otherwise a perfect controller (lack of analogue inputs on the shoulder buttons is not an issue to me... another thing i wonder about is how precise is the analogue stick compared to other analogue sticks or if there some degree of lost precision due to it needing to be inline with how much precision the joycon stubby joysticks can register??? haven't read anything about this though..._). (also, if this is a consideration, it's probably more in how the games are programmed and not the controller analogue sticks, i think?).

all this is a bit of a ramble. my main point here is, the switch pro controller is a good default controller that you'll probably be wanting if you're going to be playing the games on a tv.

other options are out there (hori, 8bitdo). i also got this mayflash usb adapter/bluetooth dongle that accepts a wide range of controllers for the switch. can play switch games at home with the ps4 duelshock controller, which is great for playing indie smaller games. i just so happen to think the ps4 controller d-pad is kind of amazing, light years better cleaner and easier to play with than the switch pro controller, despite the pro controller having the famed 'patented nintendo classic d-pad so it must be the better option'. nope!, not imo). the usb adapter is kind of buggy and doesn't properly do rumble so it's better to just turn rumble off + no motion controls.

also, if you have a wii u gamecube adapter, you can play games with the gamecube controllers (which most aren't going to be configured correctly but it's still a nice option). i also have this weirded modded together controller from years back that is a snes controller hacked together to have a gamecube port at the end. so i can play the switch with a legit snes controller :) just patiently waiting for the snes games now...

rant rant rant. just grab the pro controller :^)

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By rethla

@rethla said:
    @ripelivejam said:

@thepanzini: Cheap I don't get. The thing feels solid as fuck, more than any other controller I've used. D-pad has issues, I agree.

Yes it is at least a sturdy controller. Overprised and poor design like all Nintendo but its at least sturdy.

Overpriced, sure, but what do you mean by "poor design?" It's missing some features that the PS4/Xbox One controllers have, primarily headphone and mic ports, but the Switch controller feels better in my hand than pretty much any other controller. There are times where I have chosen to play a game on my Switch over a game on something else primarily because that Switch controller feels so damn great in my hand. The look, feel, and even weight of that thing is perfect for me.

Whatabout bad joysticks (doesnt matter since there is no fps to play but still), weird buttons with all but invisible text, a crazy focus on awkward motion controls.. ?

Its sturdy and nice to hold but the design is terrible.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

I keep saying to myself that the second the Joy Cons weren't cutting it for a game I'd get the pro controller. So far it's been fine. I might end up just picking up the cheapie Hori controller as a backup, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
    deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought mine day 1 before I sat down with the system and realised that I'm only ever going to play it handheld. I can see it's use for fighting games (if any worth buying come out) and if I have friends over it gets some use but otherwise... totally not necessary.

It is objectively a great controller though.

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I play docked 80% of the time and I usually play with joy cons, it’s great since I can just splay my arms out and be lazy. But when I play splatoon or just need to get serious about something I like to use a pro controller, it feels better than the joy cons in the control thing. That being said I wouldn’t have one if it hadn’t been gifted to me.

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
    PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

I heard it depends what games you are using it for. I heard Zelda with the pro controller is the way to go.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not necessary at all, but if for some reason you can't stand the joycons then maybe personally to you... I like them actually a lot and you can use the thing to holster them together as one controller which I often do.

There is another option to get one of those 20 something dollar wired, no motion, no rumble, official nintendo controller if you wanna do it on the cheap and don't care about not being able to do motion stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find the joycon grip (and playing in handheld mode) incredibly uncomfortable. The Pro controller doubled my enjoyment of the Switch. I straight up like the games better now. I'm surprised I waited so long to try it. That being said, I wouldn't buy one blind. Try out the joycons for a bit and see if you need a pro controller later.

mortierke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's only important if you don't like the joy con grip.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.