Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

How necessary is the pro-controller?

• 61 results
    sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey gang,

I'm buying a Switch in a week or so, and I'm a bit hesitant because of how EXPENSIVE EVERYTHING is. The games are still £50, the controller is £60, which is just obscene.

So how much do I need a pro-controller? I hear a lot of good things about it, but it costs so fucking much. What do you think chaps?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Depends on how uncomfortable you find the joycons.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I only use the pro controller. Especially for any game that requires aiming and shooting. the joycons are trash

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still haven't gotten one and don't plan on it. The Joy-Cons work totally fine.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Switch Pro Controller feels very cheap and the d-pad ain't great definitely not worth £60, but the Joycons are very uncomfortable which makes the Pro unfortunately essential for me.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I've had the thing since launch and only used the Joy-Cons and it's been fine. The only thing that irked me was when playing on my TV (which I rarely do) it's far enough away and there's enough obstructions for me to get the left Joy-Con disconnection issues. For Christmas I got the 8bitdo SNES controller though, so that fixes that problem nicely. It's also a darn sight cheaper than the Pro Controller: https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-SF30-PRO-Bluetooth-Gamepad/dp/B0748S3GXG/

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

I'm way too used to the PS4 and Xbox one controllers. I can't handle the controllers that came with it. However, I cannot afford the pro =\ so I got these cheap holders for them and they have worked "well" so far. At least I feel like I'm holding a real controller even if it feels cheap.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By rethla

They are essential if you have played any of the other consoles. If you only have played mobile or Nintento games you wont mind the joycons.

And yes its expensive, switch is the most expensive console.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think you'll need to play with the joycons and the joycon grip to figure out whether you feel its necessary or not.

Most of my Switch time is spent handheld so I obvioulsy don't use it there. I don't mind the joycons (they're not great) but they work well connected to the switch in handheld mode. That being said, when I am playing on my TV I use a pro controller. The joycon grip just feels "off" to me and I used it for awhile, but wasn't worth it long term as I started playing Zelda on my couch.

A lot will determine how you use your switch and your primary play methods.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepanzini: Cheap I don't get. The thing feels solid as fuck, more than any other controller I've used. D-pad has issues, I agree.

Ktargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've probably put about 250 hours into Switch games only using the joy cons without any issues. The grip takes some getting used to, and the non-traditional "d-pad" on the left joy con is awkward at first, but it works well enough. The pro controller is not a necessity. It's probably worth trying out the normal controllers before investing in one.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@thepanzini: Cheap I don't get. The thing feels solid as fuck, more than any other controller I've used. D-pad has issues, I agree.

Yes it is at least a sturdy controller. Overprised and poor design like all Nintendo but its at least sturdy.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only use the pro controller when the Switch is docked, and I play probably 80% or more of the time undocked. So it wasn't a necessary purchase, but I don't regret having it.

WanLaghima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WanLaghima

I wasn’t a big fan of the “D-pad” on the Joy-cons for games like Sonic Mania, or Mighty Gunbolt. But the pro controller is a bit pricey, so I opted for the NES30 from 8bitDo. It was cheaper and it works pretty well. I use it sometimes for other games, but the lack of triggers can make things like shooting arrows in BoTW a little strange, and no motion controls either. But if you just need a spare controller for like couch co-op or are just looking for a solid D-pad, that’s my recommendation.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had no problem with the joycons on the holder thing the Switch comes with. I would buy one if you plan on switching between docked mode and handheld mode a lot. It is a hassle to put on and remove the joycons a lot.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 6ft 1 with normal sized handsnot huge or small, the joy cons feel really small to me.

I really don't like how the joysticks are vertically stacked right over/above the buttons on both cons. I need the joysticks and face buttons/dpad to be ast an angle like normal controllers.

Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I had issues with the joycons being too small for my hands. I have long fingers and they don't cooperate well with them. I have family members that prefer the joycons, but they also have shorter fingers and they fit their hands well.

I like the pro controller for the most part. It has great battery life and I very seldom have to charge it The D pad isn't spectacular, but it works for the most part without any issues. It fits my hands pretty well. It really just comes down to comfort. If you find the joy cons too small, then it may be time to buy the pro.

FonJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Pro controller is really great, worth the money in my opinion, but it isn't really terrible to use the joy-cons either. Some games feel better with the pro controller. It also depends on whether you plan on using the system as a portable or a home console more. I just use the joy-cons when I take the console with me. Maybe see what you think of the joy-cons and how you use the system then decide on the purchase.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@rethla said:

They are essential if you have played any of the other consoles. If you only have played mobile or Nintento games you wont mind the joycons.

And yes its expensive, switch is the most expensive console.

Disagree. I have all current-gen consoles and have gotten by using the joy-cons and the grip that comes in the package.

My advice to OP is to try the joycons out and if you really can't handle them pick the joy-cons up after.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I own a pro controller, but I have never docked the Switch and thus have never used it before. I've only played it in handheld mode.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@rethla said:
    @ripelivejam said:

Yes it is at least a sturdy controller. Overprised and poor design like all Nintendo but its at least sturdy.

Overpriced, sure, but what do you mean by "poor design?" It's missing some features that the PS4/Xbox One controllers have, primarily headphone and mic ports, but the Switch controller feels better in my hand than pretty much any other controller. There are times where I have chosen to play a game on my Switch over a game on something else primarily because that Switch controller feels so damn great in my hand. The look, feel, and even weight of that thing is perfect for me.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a Switch over Christmas and was very taken by the Joycons despite my meat paw hands. Really expected to have to shell out for a couple of pro pads or the Hori wired pads for us but we decided to just get another set of Joycons for the occasional four player night.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Best controller to use when docked imo.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The joycons are fine. I personally prefer using a grip, but that's just me. We have two pairs of joycons, with only one grip.

No one in the house ever seems to feel like they're missing out without a grip or pro controller.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The positioning of the faux d-pad and face buttons are uncomfortable for me so I use a Pro controller exclusively even in portable mode. Also the size of the buttons always throws me off.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever premium you think you're paying for the pro controller is made up for by never having to charge it's magical, everlasting battery. For reals, that thing never runs out of juice.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I would say you'd be perfectly fine without one, but it's a good addition nonetheless. It's a better experience, but just slightly.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By BBAlpert

One thing to note about the 3rd party controllers (or at least the Hori one that seems to be the go-to alternative to the Pro) is that they don't have rumble or motion controls (the Pro has both). This isn't a huge deal for a lot of games, but those features are nice to have for certain games (like Mario Odyssey).

Whether "nice to have" is worth the $40 difference in price is a personal call, though.

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hnke

I also have normal sized hands and I get cramps from operating the sticks on the Joycons after 1 hour of Zelda. Not including the charging grip in the box was shitty enough on its own and now they want $85 for a half-decent regular controller experience. What the fuck Nintendo.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've had my Switch for a few weeks and I have no desire to buy a pro-controller. The joycon grip feels good to me and I don't really notice I'm holding it while playing. If I don't feel like using that I just hold the joycons to the side and that is also comfortable.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

I borrowed the Switch to play through all of Zelda on my tv back in March with the Joycons and the grip that comes with the system with no issues (after getting used to it a bit). I did buy a Pro Controller when I got a Switch for Christmas, but that was partly so I'd have a "second controller" (in addition to the JoyCons/Grip) for my wife when we get some more multiplayer games. In the long run, you may want a pro controller for comfort reasons, but I don't think it's an essential Day 1 purchase.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's time for my opinion! ʕ •̀ ω •́ ʔ

If you're used to good controllers like the PS4 or Xbox 1 I'd say the "Pro" controller is 100% necessary.
    Of course you can do fine without - these are super first world problems.

Fascismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fascismo

If you already have a PS4/PS3/XOne controller, I cannot recommend this thing enough.

It plugs into the USB ports of the switch, and converts the Bluetooth signal of other controllers into something the Switch interprets as the wired pro controller. This thing was awesome for playing 4-player Mario Kart without spending the cost of the console on extra controllers.

One caveat is that gyro and rumble support are a little dicey. Their website says that both should work if you install a new firmware on the receiver from their website, but so far I must be doing it wrong...

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

I hear you when it comes to everything being expensive. I think you definetely want one if you're playing in tv mode. I was uncertain about buying it but found that it's actually a really comfortable controller. Better than the joycons for sure. I don't regret buying it, despite the price. That being said if you are going to use it in portable mode, don't bother.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only use the Joycons in handheld mode, because I really hate the feel of them. Based on the 10 minutes or so I spent trying to play Mario Odyssey with them, I think I would have hated that game if I wasn't using a pro controller.

It's totally overpriced. But so is the Switch, and everything else Nintendo sells.

MundaneSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put 50ish hours into Zelda and completed Mario Odyssey without ever using one and both were fine..

You don't need it.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As somebody who found BotW's control scheme on the regular Joy-con controllers almost unbearable, if you plan on playing BotW, then I'd say its essential.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The joy cons are very much handheld controllers. They're probably the best handheld controllers ever made but they still fall short of a real controller. The most egregious example would be the range of motion in the analog sticks(very little). That's the reason why Splatoon 2 is best played with motion controls.

That said the joy cons will get the job done with every game on the Switch, so no, the Pro controller isn't necessary at all. But you might want it for comfort and ease of use.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Not essential, in the definition of the word. But I really, really like it. Since switching to the Pro Controller, it's been hard for me to go back.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy it. Use it. Love it.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Axersia

I've been a Switch owner since day 1 and still don't own a Pro Controller. The only game I've played where I really wish I did was Doom, but if you're playing Doom with a Pro Controller, you're either in tabletop mode which I never use, don't own a PC/PS4/XB1, or are doing something, very, very wrong.

If you do decide to go the Pro Controller route, be sure to get a Xenoblade 2 edition. The d-pad has been improved on that one (you can actually see the difference when you open them up), and while I assume the regular black edition has/will be improved as well, there's no easy way to identify one.

Alternatively, the best Switch controller is the one you already own, so just get a Mayflash NS-Magic adapter for 20 bucks and wirelessly connect your DualShock 3 and 4, or whatever Xbox controller you have (wired only, I believe). They sell them on Amazon UK as well.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't imagine not playing without a Pro Controller.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GundamGuru

@sombre: If you're only playing docked, 3rd parties make very nice, cheap wired pro controllers. My brother found one of these in a Walmart for $25 and it's been great. The stick heads are larger than even an Xbox or PS4 controller; I really like it.

If you have bigger hands like I do, the joycon grip will make your pinkies hurt after a while. And I never feel like I have good control of the sticks with them separated.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was price conscious as well when looking for a Switch. After seeing bundle after bundle on ebay sell for full price, I gave in and bought a new one, Zelda, and the Zelda-themed wired controller. It's been fine. I believe it was $30, maybe $40. The Zelda theme was a nice bonus, since I had waited this long for a Switch, thinking that Nintendo would pull their collective heads outta their ass and release a gold, Zelda-themed bundle. Still can't believe they didn't do that. I bought the goldish decal kit for it, and it's aiight, but I wanted a gold plastic Switch. That would've been sick. Anyways, the wired controllers seem fine, if wired's an option for you.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joy cons are okay, definitely not my preferred way of playing. Pro controller is a step up, but still not near the quality of a PS4/Xbox controller.

Laethe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxszy said:

I think you'll need to play with the joycons and the joycon grip to figure out whether you feel its necessary or not.

This. I have fairly large hands but quite skinny fingers and I've had 0 problems with the Joycons.

I also play my Switch almost exclusively undocked, so I'm not really interested in buying a Pro controller. If you think you'll want to play both docked and undocked regularly it might be worth investing in one, as I don't really like using the joycons with either the grip or holding one in each hand.

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a Pro controller, I don’t regret it. Useful for multiplayer obvs.

But....I probably prefer using the detached joycons, lazy style with one in each hand in a relaxed cool dude pose. I did have connection issues so last week I sent the left one to Nintendo to be embalmed or whatever the feck it is they do to fix them.

My advice to OP is to leave the Pro controller for now and see how you get on with the joycons.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't at all call it necessary.

Except for me, if I ever get a Switch

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I mean, try just the joycons on their holder/controller/whatever it's called, and if you don't like it, then go and pick up a pro controller. If you do like it, you're all good. I like my pro controller and use it when playing docked. It also allows me to play games 2 player with ease.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.