Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Aug 25, 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum puts you behind the cowl of the iconic Dark Knight, fighting his way through Arkham Asylum to stop the Joker from enacting a sinister plot that would have grave consequences for Gotham City.

What do you want in a Batman sequel?

• 86 results
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By suneku

There's gotta be a sequel coming eventually so what do you want in it?

First things first, I want Paul Dini and Kevin Conroy back, and maybe Mark Hamill too if they decide to give Joker some kind of role in the next game. Well okay, Paul Dini doesn't have to come back but they better get someone of his caliber or better like Jeph Leob, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, etc. The location is something I'm still having a hard time deciding. I don't want a completely open world game, since if you look at other open world superhero games... they tend to suck. And doing it again at Arkham Asylum wouldn't be a great idea since it'd essentially be the same game with different villains. 

For villains, I'm hoping to see Riddler (done in a similar fashion as Scarecrow since Riddler's not much of a physical threat.) Ventriloquist/Scarface, Deadshot, Ra's al Ghul (or Talia al Ghul would be awesome if they use her in the 2nd game to set up a third game with Ra's as the main enemy). Two-Face, Clayface, Hush... ugh his rogues gallery is too badass.. if I keep naming names it's going to be too much for one game.

I really hope Catwoman, Robin (Tim Drake), and Nightwing make at least a little cameo for support or something. New gadgets would be great. Hopefully they improve on the stealth in the game (like making the AI a little smarter, I've pulled a vent open right in front of guard and he didn't see it) and give more variety to the detective stuff. Not sure what I'd like done differently on the combat, I really like the freeflow. It could be simple, or a deep mechanic... but all that matters is that it makes you feel like Batman kicking ass.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike
    @suneku: 

• I'd like to see less reliance on quasi- QTE's and scripted events, and also a bit more variety in enemies and boss fights. \
    • While the combat was cool to watch and fun, it got old after awhile and I felt like I was just hitting A until the next indication to counter popped up. Rinse & repeat.
    • Most of the "boss" encounters consisted of throwing a batarang to stun the boss, then dodging. That was exciting the first time, but the next ten times just felt like the designers got lazy.
    • I'd like to see more of an open world style of gameplay as opposed to how linear this game was. Yeah, you could roam around a little bit and backtrack, but there was really only one or two ways to complete objectives. A setup closer to The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction or Prototype would be cool.
    • I would like more freedom and options in choosing which gadget to use instead of "Oh, here's a symbol for bat gel. Equip bat gel and you get the Riddler icon!"
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By dbz1995

Batman, of course.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

The big city, the batmobile, twoface, clayface, Mr. Freeze. If I thought they could put catwoman in there without dressing her like a whore I'd want that, too.
    I think it should stay linear, though. For the sake of narrative. Batman's not an "either or" guy, he's pretty clearly stuck in his ways so that freedom wouldn't feel in character.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5  Edited By King9999

More donkey punches.

lolwot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By lolwot

deleted

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mike
    @lolwot said:

" -One of the things I don't want is a fully open world. I would rather that they instead try to create another self-contained land mass, but one that's larger, and with more secret areas than Arkham Island. Unfortunately, I don't know where else there is such a location in the Batman "universe".

I was thinking post-earthquake Gotham City a la No Man's Land. That may be a bit larger than you had in mind, but I think it would be pretty bad ass and the No Man's Land story arc already features a lot of the characters you mentioned.
    GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By GunnBjorn

The location could be the vast Wayne estate and/or Wayne Manor. 
    Axis Chemical/Ace Chemical Factory could be another one. 
    The Wayne Enterprises/WayneCorp building. 
    A combination of these in a limited district which Batman/Bruce Wayne can traverse at your leisure without being open worldly.
    alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By alexl86
    • No more titan. Lose it completely. No titanesque enemies either.
    • Other villains. Some plot centering around Ra's would be fine, as he's probably the biggest threat besides Joker.  Then again, he's not really a marketable villain and he's not as inclusive when it comes to other villains. Anyway, leave Joker out completely, he only really works as the main villain.
    • Harder riddles. The riddles are too easy, they're not really worthy of the Riddler.
    • Don't use overly huge enemies as a way to create imposing threats. Two Face is just as menacing as a Titan Henchman.
    • Change up the gadgets some, or maybe have the ability to swap out gadgets in the batcave.
    • My deepest worry is the location, there aren't any other locations that would fit, as the city itself would dramatically change the gameplay...
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60

Mark Hamill sadly will not be coming back, he said in an interview that Arkham Asylum is the last time he is ever going to be playing The Joker.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mike
    @CL60 said:
    " Mark Hamill sadly will not be coming back, he said in an interview that Arkham Asylum is the last time he is ever going to be playing The Joker. "
    That's fine, I'm sure they can find someone who will do as good a job or better than Hamill, and for less money too. There are plenty of talented voice actors out there.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CL60
    @MB said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " Mark Hamill sadly will not be coming back, he said in an interview that Arkham Asylum is the last time he is ever going to be playing The Joker. "
    That's fine, I'm sure they can find someone who will do as good a job or better than Hamill, and for less money too. There are plenty of talented voice actors out there. "
    I would rather them not re-cast Mark Hamills joker though, his joker is a classic from the animated series. I would prefer if Joker was not in the game at all if Mark Hamill was not voicing him.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Pie

riddler spoilers

The riddler busts out of blackgate (or arkham i suppose) and leaves clues around the city for you to solve (the riddler would be the main villian).

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By suneku
    @MB: I think that because I enjoyed the story and voice acting so much I looked the other way on those things you mentioned. The things you mention are right, and had it been in any other game it would've failed badly. I've been thinking that maybe the only way to do comic games is to make it linear with scripted events. Because when reading a comic, you're reading a scripted event anyways.

Good mention on No Man's Land btw, I think if anything you can at least contain it to certain parts of the city if it gets too big.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By suneku
    @CL60 said:
    Oh yeah I totally forgot about that, I saw the interview too.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mike
    @suneku:  What about an open Gotham City with side missions...and they could handle the main story like Oblivion did. Think Ultimate Destruction plus Oblivion...only with Batman. That way you would be free to cruise around Gotham kicking criminals' asses and solving crimes, then get back to the main story whenever you felt like it.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By suneku
    @MB: Everytime I think of open world+side missions I start thinking of Spider-Man games lol. But who knows, maybe Rocksteady can do a bang up job on variety of side missions if it goes open world. All I remember from Ultimate Destruction is running around smashing cars and helicopters haha, can't remember exactly how the missions worked. But I get what you mean with Oblivion. If it's open world there better be a damn drivable batmobile or batplane.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CL60
    @MB said:

" @suneku:  What about an open Gotham City with side missions...and they could handle the main story like Oblivion did. Think Ultimate Destruction plus Oblivion...only with Batman. That way you would be free to cruise around Gotham kicking criminals' asses and solving crimes, then get back to the main story whenever you felt like it. "

That sounds good in theory. But it makes me wonder if a batman game could actually be pulled off like this while staying fun. I mean, it works in Spiderman games, and Hulk games because Spiderman just swings around wherever he likes, and Hulk just destroys everything, but with Batman you would be forced to either constantly be on rooftops or constantly be driving the batmobile, because I myself don't really think batman would just casually walk up the street. Well maybe the Adam West one will, but not this one. But if they could manage to pull it off, it would be great.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Pie

I think a big free roamer would ruin the atmosphere completely

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By crusader8463

i want the PC version to be released at the same time as the rest so i don't have to hear about how awesome this game is for over a month while trying to avoid spoilers. Which is next to impossible when every other forum thread is titled " Remember THIS SPOILER part of Batman:AA and how great it was!". Or how posts in completely unrelated threads always seem to have at least one or two guys talking about some spoilerific part of the game.

Assuming he isn't in this one, as i haven't seen him in any trailers, i want to see Clay Face in the game. He was one of my favorite villains from the 90's batman cartoon. Also more Bane, because bane is the only one to have broken the bat. And if they wanted to keep Arkham as a center piece maybe they could base the next one off the story arch of Bane breaking batman. Where Bane can break all the villains out of Arkham then batman needing to run all over hunting them down one by one. Each major villain could have their own major set piece in the city and you need to patrol keeping general crime down while searching for clues to where each major villain is hiding. If you have ever read the story arc it , to me anyway, felt like a video game the whole time. Especially when batman kept referring to the villains on a scale of how major they where, and how he was always stumbling on minor villains who would lead to bigger guys. Which leads me to the next part.

If they did go open world i think it would need to play like Crackdown did. With the batmobile, and the leaping etc. The game could have a city crime level meter that you need to keep within a certain range or you lose the game. So you can patrol the streets and every mugger you stop, or bank robbery you happen upon lowers it some. Then for side missions they could have it set up so that some times those random robberies will be run by a named villain which can lead to a boss fight, or lead into side quests . Like maybe The Riddler was knocking over some tech lab for some item he needed to complete his Brain Wash O Matic ray. But because you stopped that heist you will need to track him down to his lair and stop him before he can get a chance to try another heist. Or maybe you respond to a break in at the water treatment plant and find The Joker and Scarecrow fighting each other over who gets to put their preferred poison in the city's water line. Then when you show up they both turn on you while their respected minions are just making all hell. It could split off so maybe they both run off in different directions and you need to go choose who to stop, and depending on who you let go you would need to hunt them down after and find the antidote to what ever poison they added to the water before people can get sick.

Or a Batman Cart Racer i dont know.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By suneku
    @crusader8463 said:
    "And if they wanted to keep Arkham as a center piece maybe they could base the next one off the story arch of Bane breaking batman. Where Bane can break all the villains out of Arkham then batman needing to run all over hunting them down one by one.  "
    Straight out of Knightfall, I like the way you think.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

My main concern about the sequel is the primary things you guys have been addressing: the setting. I don't think they can stay at Arkham if they want to keep things fresh, but I definitely don't want them to expand to all of Gotham and lose the incredible level of detail in the current game. A lot of you guys already have some pretty good ideas there though.

As long as The Riddler and Scarecrow return along with all of the same core voice actors (Kevin Conroy's voice IS Batman's voice), I'll be happy.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CL60

Well judging by the end of Arkham Asylum the next one will feature Two-Face.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By FlipperDesert
    @CL60 said:
    " Well judging by the end of Arkham Asylum the next one will feature Two-Face. "
    that seemed more like a "This city never sleeps, eh? LOL" ending than anything hinting to the next game, though I totally agree Two-Face would be awesome.

Other than that, RiddlerRiddlerRiddlerRiddlerohGodmoreRiddler and I'd love to fight more than one type of boss fight, that got horribly tedious by the end.

And I'd be fine with a full Gotham setting, as long as they find a way to deal with mobility well (I can hardly see Batman stealing someone's car if the Batmobile's out of reach.)
    Avatar image for the_dude_abides
    The_Dude_Abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Dude_Abides

Two Face takes control of a big building, Wayne Corp?, he's at the top, same basic idea as AA, but with him sending you out to do his dirty deeds for him, or else he'll kill so and so. Just a thought. I agree that going open world won't work, but at the same time, they need to open it up somewhat. So have the same premise as AA, but with missions that take you away from that premise form time to time. 

Can the game developers justify creating a bigger world, only for side-missions though??

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By flaminghobo
    @CL60 said:
    Ah that sucks. Good on him though for giving the role one last shot, the man's getting a bit old now.

I'd like possibly a sanbox-esque Batman game, based in Gotham City.
    Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Gmanall

Make it a Spiderman game

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Robin.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho

There are various ways they could credibly contain a portion of the city and not make all of Gotham. Which they would have to do to create a game with as many small atmospheric details as this one. I also think from a "this is still a game" perspective, working clayface's condition into the Titan program could create more interesting fodder, cus now they're strong and they can look like anything. Or poison Ivy. The master plan is creating roided out clay tree-monsters to reek havoc via some kind of joker-esc laughing gas (or scarecrow fear gas) that's been contained to a small part of the city. And of course, that's where you are.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Oni

No Man's Land.

I've thought about locations for a sequel, and it's what I keep coming back to. For those that don't know, No Man's Land is a massive story arc in the Batman comics, where Gotham was hit by an earthquake and totally devastated and promptly cut off from the USA by President Luthor. So it's a contained landmass, it's Gotham City, but the ravage left by the earthquake would make it easy to structure the game similarly to Arkham Asylum, ie. keep parts locked off until a certain point. And it wouldn't need to be fully open world either, which wouldn't suit a Batman game. Also, it is a great way to include many villains as they all try to carve a piece of Gotham out for themselves.

Also I'd like a better excuse for Batman not having all his gadgets, á la Metroid. Have him lose it all near the start somehow and find it back scattered throughout the city, say you find the grapple gun at Wayne Tech's ruined building, line gun in the batcave, whatever, you get the idea.

But KEEP the structure of the game and the types of gameplay. I seriously felt the balance in AA was perfect. Not a single element overstayed its welcome and there was plenty of variety. I'll say that the bosses weren't very creative and relied on having to fight henchmen at the same time as the boss to add challenge. But it's hardly even a complaint.

SUBL1ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SUBL1ME

If its Paul Dini working on it I want something involving Ras al Guhl, outside of the joker he probably got the most episodes devoted to him out of anyone on Batman TAS so it would be could to see his character in a more dark and gritty context. And if they could get Liam Neeson to do his voice I would crap my pants.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#32  Edited By AgentJ

All I want is as many cameos as possible. They can just be characters showing up in news reports on TVs in the environment or something small like that, but I love the character designs and want to see more. Also, the voice actor for Harley Quinn needs to make another appearance. 

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By super_machine

Bat suit nipples.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By carlthenimrod

Michael Keaton 3D

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Damian
    • More Gotham. More open.
    • Answering bat signals.
    • Smoke bombs with a straight up grapple.
    • Flying the Batwing.
    • Clayface.
    • ManBat.
    • Much better riddles. The Riddler should be ashamed of himself for his work in Arkham.
    • Less grates.
    • Less tacked on QTE's.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By demonbear
    @CL60 said:
    Oh yeah, and Sigourney weaver said after Alien 3 she'd never do another Alien movie....
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LiquidPrince

Persistent gameplay like we were promised. The only thing that annoyed me in this game was  the loading between rooms, even if they were like 2 seconds long. Put an animation of a door or something opening instead of loading. Anyways that being my only complaint speaks a lot about the game.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Babble
    • Get to see Riddler
    • More Killer Croc and Two Face
    • Scarecrow as one of the main guys
    • Better boss fights

Now that I think about it: having Riddler and Scarecrow as the main antagonists could be great, you have the whole puzzle aspect tied in with the crazy stuff Scarecrow does.
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Wow, a lot of really great ideas. I would really like to have access to the actual Batcave, should they make a sequel.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ryanwho
    @demonbear said:
    " @CL60 said:
    Oh yeah, and Sigourney weaver said after Alien 3 she'd never do another Alien movie.... "
    And that movie was a critical and financial bomb. Hamill said this prior to Batman becoming a crazy big hit. I mean really, what else is he doing that he can afford to turn down the mad money he'd get to come back?
    hughesie27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By hughesie27

Remember the riddle to find Ra al Ghul? He was totally dead in that morgue! No way he could be brought back, unless it became a hallucination from Scarecrow?

CapcomOverdose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CapcomOverdose

Robin.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jeffgoldblum

More villains.
    There are so many villains I want to see in that type of game.
    Also, there is one problem with a sequel to this game.
    I cant picture this version of Batman WITHOUT THE MASK.
    That cowl looks like it is part of his face.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44  Edited By Deusoma

I was really hoping that Two-Face would be an optional boss in Arkham Asylum, and that he'd flip his coin before he fought you, so there'd be a 50% chance that he'd actually surrender without any trouble.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LiquidPrince

Villains in the next one:

Joker
    Harley Quinn
    Riddler
    Bane
    Two Face
    Mad Hatter
    Poison Ivy
    Mr. Freeze
    Scarecrow

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By jonnyboy

Just make it a minigame collection for the Wii. Arkham Asylum 2: Riddler Ware Inc.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By demonbear
    @ryanwho said:
    " @demonbear said:
    " @CL60 said:
    Oh yeah, and Sigourney weaver said after Alien 3 she'd never do another Alien movie.... "
    And that movie was a critical and financial bomb. Hamill said this prior to Batman becoming a crazy big hit. I mean really, what else is he doing that he can afford to turn down the mad money he'd get to come back? "
    The fact that the movie sucked is not a valid argument, try again. Sigourney saw the lazy script, took the 10 million dollar check and ran with it. If the cash is there, Hamill will do it. What else is he doing anyway?
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By demonbear
    @ryanwho said:
    " @demonbear said:
    " @CL60 said:
    And that movie was a critical and financial bomb. Hamill said this prior to Batman becoming a crazy big hit. I mean really, what else is he doing that he can afford to turn down the mad money he'd get to come back? "
    The fact that the movie sucked is not a valid argument, try again. Sigourney saw the lazy script, took the 10 million dollar check and ran with it. If the cash is there, Hamill will do it. What else is he doing anyway?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CL60
    @hughesie27 said:
    " Remember the riddle to find Ra al Ghul? He was totally dead in that morgue! No way he could be brought back, unless it became a hallucination from Scarecrow? "
    If you go back after the game is over and you have the riddle he is gone.
    hughesie27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By hughesie27
    @CL60: Sweet, I haven't been back yet but I'll check it out. What a truly mind fucking game!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.