Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Robin: The Bad A** Boy Wonder

BrowncoatGrimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BrowncoatGrimm

In the media there is a certain preconception of Robin the Boy Wonder, people tend to think he’s generally lame and a total joke of a character. This view has been inspired by the dreadful portrayal of Robin on the screen in both the old campy TV series and in the films in which Robin was portrayed as a boring and annoying old man. Robin is seen as a stupid character that has no right existing.

This is a fracking travesty.

Robin is a very worthwhile character and one that would make a fine addition to Arkham City, he’s just awesome. The problem arises, and the view differs, because yes the film and TV versions of robin are rubbish but the comic book version is the one that’s good. Granted over the years Robin is a moniker that’s been held by a few individuals; but the main two are excellent. Dick Grayson was the first robin and his master of acrobatics made him brilliant at navigating roof tops and also aided in his superb fighting style. He was intelligent and had a charming disposition that nicely offset the dark knight’s harder edge. He later went on to become Nightwing and was even better in that role than he ever was as robin. Personally I think it would be really cool to see both Nightwing and Robin in the game as playable characters in coop or with seperate single player portions where you can plays as them. I would choose to play as Robin given the oppertunity, especially if that Robin was Tim Drake.

My personal favourite Robin is Tim Drake, this is a person with a great sense of humour, a mastery of martial arts and a detective and deductive mind that surpasses even Batman himself. From the start Tim was depicted as a detective greater than batman as he is the only one, ever, to work out who wears that cowl. He also has this great point of view that I can really get behind, he didn’t become Robin due to some kind of trauma, no, he became Robin because he saw a Batman without his boy wonder and realised that Batman needs a Robin. You can't, can not, have a Batman without a robin. That's just a fact of the universe.

This idea that Batman can’t exists properly without a Robin is something I’ve believed for the longest time. Those two are intrinsically linked in a way that no other two super heroes, or other heroes and their sidekicks, ever are. Bats is a very dark and brooding character that’s always on the verge of insanity, he’s a character that sits apart and above the world and views it with an analytical sense of distance. Robin is needed because he provides Bats with a human side, a side to rein Bruce in and keep him connected to the real world. Furthermore they also give Bruce support and act as a family, he views each of those Robins as sons and cares for them deeply. With his super hero career he could never really have a proper family; so these kids he takes under his wing are his surrogate sons. There could be some really poignant story moments in the game if the developers decide to take advantage of this relationship, there wasn't really much emotional threat or any real emotional levity in the first game. Brining Robin to the fold would provide that.

If that doesn't convince you let me put it this way, there is a section in a Grant Morrison run of Batman where someone tries to kidnap a character called Damien from Bruce’s mansion. They attack when they know Bat’s isn’t there though they do know that Tim Drake, Robin, is still there and to deal with him who do they send? Only about fifty Ninjas; and do you know what? Tim deals with them easily. Robin is a total bad ass in the comics and Bruce has made sure of that so they can handle most situations. You just… you don’t mess with Robin because he’ll kick your arse. It's that simple.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

I didn't read any of that, because I think I know the gist of what you're getting at. Robin= awesome.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " I didn't read any of that, because I think I know the gist of what you're getting at. Robin= awesome. "
    Pretty much that. I'm versed enough in Robin(s) to know that Robin = awesomesauce. On the other hand, I don't think it'd be a good idea to include him in Arkham City. I loved that Batman was basically alone against the whole Asylum in the first one. The less playable characters, the better, IMO.

PS: The current Robin is Damian, not Damien, Wayne ;)
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jeffgoldblum

As far as public opinion goes Robin is tainted and this isn't going to change for a long time. 
    It will probably take someone taking the leap and putting him in something mainstream again for people to realize he doesn't suck.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By phantomzxro

i agree but i could see them putting him in the next game or maybe have some unlockable missions with him in this game!
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Three0neFive

lol, taking comic books seriously

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Pie

I did read that. Robins a dumb name

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

People seem to like the post-Robin gothy emo stuff more than Robin himself. Red Robin (Batman minus ears and interest), Nightwing (Batman if he grew up loving Staind) and Red Hood (Batman without Ninja honor) 
    .@Pie said:

" I did read that. Robins a dumb name "
    Batman. Bat. Man. Batman, dununununununu Batman. Robin is a name that exists in a universe full of dumb names that people get used to.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pie
    @ryanwho: But Batmans a freakin Bat atleast, not a robin. 
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lukeweizer

Good luck, have Robin.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Bouke
    @Lukeweizer said:
    " Good luck, have Robin. "
    Thank you sir, that made me laugh!
    damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By damodar

I agree that Robin in his/her various forms gets a bad wrap. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Tim or Dick in Arkham City in some way or another. Or maybe Jason... DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN 

At the very least, I guess I would be interested to see how they approach Robin's costume, as I doubt they'd just go for cloth. 

whupzzzz didn't realise this thread was dredged up for no good reason D:

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Goly

Great post and I was one of the persons who thought Robin kinda sucked. I mean the only Batman comic I've ever read is the Frank Miller one, and I thought that Robin wasn't bad, but he (she in this case) wasn't on the badass side of things either. What did you think about that Robin?

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @JoeyRavn said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " I didn't read any of that, because I think I know the gist of what you're getting at. Robin= awesome. "
    Pretty much that. I'm versed enough in Robin(s) to know that Robin = awesomesauce. On the other hand, I don't think it'd be a good idea to include him in Arkham City. I loved that Batman was basically alone against the whole Asylum in the first one. The less playable characters, the better, IMO.

PS: The current Robin is Damian, not Damien, Wayne ;) "
    I doubt they'd be current, though. If they did, Red Hood would be awesome  in it.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Brendan

I would need a mindblowing representation of Robin to convince me he's worth it (as a non comic reader).
    regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By regularassmilk

While this would be really cool, he's just got a massive stigma from being pegged as so uncool and campy and shit.
    At this point, its like making Aquaman all badass. 
    I'd like to see Robin in the future, but I doubt I will.

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By rawrnosaurous

I still think robin is a bad character, then again I don't want batman really hanging around young boys regardless of personality and ass kickery.

Legxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Legxend

I can see Robin making it in purely because they have a lot if not most of the staple characters in the game, Dick Grayson would be Nightwing given the age of other characters which would leave Tim Drake as Robin. I did not like Robin until I started reading the comics he is a much better character than how he is potrayed in the media. If he is in it most likely be this kind of style.

No Caption Provided
    Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By Jedted
    @BrowncoatGrimm said:

"In the media there is a certain preconception of Robin the Boy Wonder, people tend to think he’s generally lame and a total joke of a character. This view has been inspired by the dreadful portrayal of Robin on the screen in both the old campy TV series and in the films in which Robin was portrayed as a boring and annoying old man. Robin is seen as a stupid character that has no right existing.

This is a fracking travesty." 

Don't for get the Teen Titans cartoon, where he leads a team of other teenage superheroes. :)

What about Robin in the Animated Series?  I don't remember it too much but that portrail wasn't campy was it? 

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FourWude

Robin is a rent boy.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By niamahai

i cannot wait for UE3 rendered Robin with short shorts and pixie boots. 

So hot! 

Do Want!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic

doesnt this contradict with the firm belief that Robin is a stupid piece of luggage tied to Batman's ankles ? now everyone likes him all of a sudden? me confuse.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By infininja
    @Jedted said:
    " @BrowncoatGrimm said:

"In the media there is a certain preconception of Robin the Boy Wonder, people tend to think he’s generally lame and a total joke of a character. This view has been inspired by the dreadful portrayal of Robin on the screen in both the old campy TV series and in the films in which Robin was portrayed as a boring and annoying old man. Robin is seen as a stupid character that has no right existing.

This is a fracking travesty." 

Don't for get the Teen Titans cartoon, where he leads a team of other teenage superheroes. :) "

I like that show.
    Anarky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Anarky

@Jedted said:

Don't for get the Teen Titans cartoon, where he leads a team of other teenage superheroes. :)

I thought that was pretty good mainly because of Robin's feud with Slade Wilson.

But there was alot of other good things about the series aswell.

What about Robin in the Animated Series?  I don't remember it too much but that portrayal wasn't campy was it? 

He did make witty remarks from time to time. But he definitely wasn't campy in that series.

In fact i suggest you check out "Robin's Reckoning" and "Old Wounds". As they're some of the best episodes in the series that include Robin.
    BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BonOrbitz

I've never really been a Robin fan and seeing Chris O'Donnell star as him didn't help the situation (I understand it's not the comics' fault). I prefer the lone-wolf Batman that I played as in Arkham Asylum, but now there's more evidence that he's in Arkham City:

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JeffGoldblum said:
    As far as public opinion goes Robin is tainted and this isn't going to change for a long time. It will probably take someone taking the leap and putting him in something mainstream again for people to realize he doesn't suck.
    That ^
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By veektarius

He's a kid.  Not interested.

televisionomy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By televisionomy
    @JoeyRavn said:
    @LiquidPrince said:

PS: The current Robin is Damian, not Damien, Wayne ;)
    That and robin just doesn't fit with the themes in AA and AC, I'm not saying that Robin can't be serious, it's just that Robin will be all buff did you see Gordon? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.