Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Binary Domain

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

A group of international soldiers take on an army of rogue androids in this sci-fi shooter set in 2080's Tokyo.

Dude....this game is pretty amazing.

• 75 results
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#52  Edited By musubi
    @BoOzak

@bitcloud said:

Anyone who has watched Vexille, Appleseed or Ghost in the Shell and liked that type of story with Uncharted style gameplay and squad mechanics should give it a go. The sotry and characters are pretty well written. Controls are tight and the guns do have punch to them, and the upgrade system to your own guns and personal abilities is pretty interesting. The only time it got laggy fps wise is during the spider battle, other then that is was smooth.I think I got one of the best endings, but I didn't know how many multiple endings there were. Seemed like the only way to get what I did was to keep a certain choice of party members and have some max out trust.

Faye hooks up with Dan, Bo dies protecting Faye, Cain gets hacked, Shin dies destroying the robot copies of his partner, the two cops and the rest of the party survives. Faye, Cain and Shin had max trust and everyone else had positive trust. I wish they implemented better dialogue descriptions then Good, No Way and Love You lmao.

There were multiple endings?! Mine was nothing like that lol.

Rachael died protecting Fei, Big Bo betrayed me and I hooked up with Fei. Fuck knows what happend to Cain.

I loved the game, not something i'd play through twice though, and the multiplayer was a complete waste of space. Only downside to the single player is I felt the story suffered from being too japanese... if that makes any sense. Cutscenes were cool though. (better choreographed than most big budget games)

EDIT:

Sorry for the spoiler overload, it's just I know nobody I know's going to play this game ;p

You guys just blew my mind. Didn't know there were alternate endings. I got the same one as you @BoOzak Man might have to play through just to get different results.
    ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By ZmillA

I've only played the demo. The enemies are satisfying to shoot, I'm a sucker for lots of breakable pieces on objects.

Darksideshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Darksideshadow

The only bad thing about this game is that it's not getting the attention it should. But then again that makes it even more special to play first. Its a gem.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By wmoyer83

The demo was impressive? It was not terrible, or devoid of entertainment, but I just felt "Meh...moar Gears of War."

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By Nasar7

If the game is as good as you guys are saying it makes sense SEGA isnt promoting it. They fail to do so for all their best games.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#59  Edited By benspyda

Sounds like a Sega game to me. Amazing game that no one will play.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By hbkdx12

This game wasn't on my radar at all but i saw a youtube walkthrough of it and i'm pretty intrigued and will probably pick it up in a few days. 

Really like the idea that the dialogue, cutscenes and endings change depending on who you squad up with.  Reminds me of Alpha Protocol in that way, another underrated sega game

The story also seems solid and interesting. Some kind of hybrid between T2 and I,Robot--something that i'm all for. 

This'll just be another reason as to why its so hard to go back to Syndicates SP....sigh

delmariachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#62  Edited By delmariachi

Finished this game yesterday and I have to admit I was pretty damn impressed. The gameplay despite being nothing new is without doubt very tight and more importantly your teammates don't tend to get in the way, which is a godsend. Gunplay is excellent and in general you are not put into an impossible position that could lead to frustration, Difficulty is average, completed on medium and actually died more times on a quick time event than thru gunplay.

The orders system by in large works well with team members reacting to them according to how they respect you... Thus making the thinking "as a team" gameplay acually useful and engaging.

Graphically it is beautiful and level bosses are immense and very well animated, also nice to be able to fight most in a relatively large space for a change.

A believable world and an absolutely superb story is encouraging me to play thru again, the first story i've actually cared for the characters in, for a long time.

Only downside is the multiplayer feels tacked on and is crying out for co-op in story mode but we can't have everything...

This is the first Sega game for quite a while that does feel like a Sega game if you get my meaning.. Also nice to see (not going to spoil it) a boss that takes its reference from an old game...

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By iamjohn

Mifune's deal is he's a fat Japanese gangster who's into James Bond and classic films.

The guy who plays him is doing a riff on Sydney Greenstreet playing Kasper Gutman in The Maltese Falcon.

I fucking love this game. Whoever did the localization for this is a god damned genius.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By MiniPato

Just beat it this week.

I didn't have high hopes for this game, but like everyone else I left impressed. Aside from some framerate issues in certain areas, it's a solid third person shooter. It's nice to see a shooter that isn't obsessed with being gritty and brown. The Yakuza engine serves itself well, save for the framerate issues. Shooting scrap off of robots is really fun and being able to upgrade your squad's guns and attributes keeps the experience from wearing thin since you're working towards something. Gameplay wise I think some of the on-rails sequences could have been shortened and some of the bosses health could have been lowered to make them feel less bullet spongey, but overall I really enjoyed this game.

The story itself is pretty damn cheesy and the writing is cliche American machismo filtered through Japanese interpretation so you have to kind of know what you're getting into. The storytelling is certainly better than most other shooters and really keeps you going.

Cain is the best character in the game, no contest. And did you know Charlie was voiced by Troy Baker? I didn't know until I saw the credits. That guy does a convincing British accent. I also think that the French guy is voiced by Roman Bellic from GTA4. Not Cain, but the one the you meet up with initially.

It's not gonna beat out Mass Effect 3 in the category of "squad-based third person shooters with relationship building and light RPG customization mechanics" but it's still a pretty great game.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By topsteer

I finished it last night and really enjoyed it despite some of the bosses being frustrating as all hell. I have a question about the ending though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#66  Edited By Humanity

@MiniPato: Whats the runtime on it more or less? I like third person shooters AND sci -fi and the quicklook has me intrigued. Like others I kinda thought this looked like trash as the early trailers made it look as generic as possible but the Dead Space-esque shooting off limbs system makes it look neat. Just curious if this is a weekend deal or will it dish out a little more?

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MiniPato

@Humanity said:

: Whats the runtime on it more or less? I like third person shooters AND sci -fi and the quicklook has me intrigued. Like others I kinda thought this looked like trash as the early trailers made it look as generic as possible but the Dead Space-esque shooting off limbs system makes it look neat. Just curious if this is a weekend deal or will it dish out a little more?

@MiniPato

I'd say the standard 8-10 hours for shooters. There's some replay value in replaying sections with different squadmates since they change up the dialogue in game and in cutscenes depending on who you have in your squad. And there are multiple endings apparently based on your trust level with your squadmates.

@TopSteer

said:

I finished it last night and really enjoyed it despite some of the bosses being frustrating as all hell. I have a question about the ending though.

What happened to Cain? Last I remember Amada took control of him and imprisoned everybody. Did Amada just destroy him?

Apparently if your trust level is maximum with Cain he will show up again. And if your trust level with Big Bo is maxed he will survive. But if your trust level with Big Bo is really low he will actually betray you. I'm gonna have to replay it a couple times to see for myself.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#68  Edited By Humanity

Well 8-10 is better than what is becoming a standard of 5-8.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By murisan

End of chapter four and I have to say that I agree with you. I'm having more fun than I had with any of the Gears games.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By hbkdx12
    @MiniPato said:

@TopSteer

said:

Apparently if your trust level is maximum with Cain he will show up again. And if your trust level with Big Bo is maxed he will survive. But if your trust level with Big Bo is really low he will actually betray you. I'm gonna have to replay it a couple times to see for myself.

:)
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71  Edited By Animasta

This game is incredible, holy shit

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By Tsoglani

I dig Binary Domain, in fact it is near the best game I have played so far in 2012 (haven't played Mass Effect 3 yet), but still, it is a mighty shame that there was barely any advertising and marketing money reserved for this game. Nothing new from Sega, but Binary Domain truly deserves a lot more attention from gamers. It reminds me a lot of sci-fi writers like Philp K Dick, and thus probably will appeal much much more to fans of sci-fi than your average shooter.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I hope the voice stuff is in the PC version when it hits.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#74  Edited By Yummylee

I still need to get this! With nothing else coming out in April I'm too fussed about (well, Witcher 2 on the 360 may take priority), it looks like an opportune time.

titan04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By titan04

The story gets really really interesting towards the end, i was very pleasantly surprised.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76  Edited By shirogane

@hbkdx12: Wow, so those relationship things do have an affect. I was wondering exactly what they did. That's nice.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#77  Edited By korolev

It's actually quite decent - nothing mind-blowing but it's well made and fun. I really don't understand why Sega didn't put any effort into promoting this game. Maybe they consulted some marketing guy who has never played a game in his life who said that it wouldn't do well, or maybe they had other games they thought would do better and put their money behind that. That's the strangest thing I'm noticing about many Japanese publishers (and some Western publishers for that matter) - they'll commission a game, but then after it's made they'll come to the conclusion that it won't do well and so they release it quietly with no fanfare. I get the feeling that Japanese companies just never allocate that much for marketing, and as a result, many good games just get left by the wayside. They need to learn that marketing is 50% or more of the battle. Yeah, it sucks that good games don't do well just on their own, but word-of-mouth and a few posters and maybe one trailer isn't going to cut it anymore when it comes to marketing - unless you make something REALLY special like Demon's souls. I get the feeling that many Japanese publishers just...magically expect the game to do well if it's well made. Nope, sorry, we don't live in that world anymore.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By bybeach

@Vorbis said:

Really enjoyed it, favourite game this year so far. The shooting was good enough on its own but the Yakuza style character development was great. Actually cared about my squadmembers and the story was just the right amount of crazy.

Real shame barely anyone will play it.

I'll play it, guy. I love the sound of a game doing better than what ppl. thought it would, and yeah I have the underdog syndrome. If it seems to deserve it I will root for it. A japanese third person shooter that actually rocks has my attention...got my copy of Vanquish still to play, as well as Deadly premonition(different kind of underdog there, i knows) lol.

So just to say and I'm sure it has been said, Binary Domain is coming out on Steam.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MikeGosot

It's my favorite game of 2012 yet. The Spider boss battle is something that i will never forget, holy christ that was amazing.

redrohX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By redrohX

So I got this game yesterday and I'm currently starting with chapter 4, but this is pretty good so far. The graphics are great, the shooting is fun and the story is cool. I really like the characters and the dialogues. Voice acting is good and I'm impressed by the details and animation of the faces. It's too bad only a couple of people have been playing this game.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By hbkdx12
    @Shirogane: Yeah i wish it was more pronounced but what's there works

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#82  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I started this game last night and I'm really enjoying it. I find the plot to be good and the banter between the squad is really good. Visuals are good and the gameplay is real fun. Shocked that a game with Sega tagged on it is actually good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.