Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Andrew Ryan is in the trailer...

• 71 results
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

He's on the balcony listening to the gramophone, standing in front of the US flag. You can make out his slicked back hair and trademark 'tache also.  

Noone seems to have mentioned this yet (Jeff and Brad didn't seem to catch it in their video about their thoughts on the trailer). 

Also, despite their being an AI companion, the game is not coop (Eurogamer article). 

Andrew F*ing Ryan, yo
     Andrew F*ing Ryan, yo
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Someone should screen cap it.

I was certain I saw something too...

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Could just be some random guy.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By fjordson

I don't know, that guy seems older. Given this game's setting, Ryan would be 20 years old in Infinite. Seems unlikely, but who knows.

Also, he didn't flee Russia until 1919 (seven years after the beginning of Infinite).

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor
    @Fjordson said:

" I don't know, that guy seems older. Given this game's setting, Ryan would be 20 years old in Infinite. Seems unlikely, but who knows.  Also, he didn't flee Russia until 1919 (seven years after the beginning of Infinite). "

True - but he looks pretty young in the trailer and I'm certain it's him; flamboyant gesticulating, trademark moustache/hair and suit, it's too close a call for it to be an accidental similarity.
    1 minute 25 seconds - pause and see. 

Downloading the 1080p video now, will take a screencap with FRAPS once it's done and post it here.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I was wondering what was up with that guy. I'm pretty interested in what this game could be.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MiniPato

I think I heard in one of the video interviews or previews that Infinite has no connection to Bioshock 1 and is actually set in its own universe. So I don't think he is Andrew Ryan. Or he might be an homage to Andrew Ryan.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By vitor
    KingDaniel97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KingDaniel97
    @MiniPato said:
    " I think I heard in one of the video interviews or previews that Infinite has no connection to Bioshock 1 and is actually set in its own universe. So I don't think he is Andrew Ryan. Or he might be an homage to Andrew Ryan. "
    I doubt it would be in it's own dimension... why bother establishing that it occurs before Bioshock 1 if it's got no connection. I'd say it's definitely in the same universe but I wouldn't expect to see anything beyond subtle nods towards Rapture. Rapture was a statement about exclusion from social norms, and how more feral traits can effect a person. A society based on merit entirely. I'd say Columbia's "point" for lack of a better term would be a society that, since it takes place in a floating world's fair, would be a statement about how a person goes when, instead of hiding your genius away from the "lesser" parts of society, you expose it entirely. I figure in Infinity, we'll be seeing mutation on a less noticeable scale, and more of the government trying to hide their dirty secrets. I'd think that Elizabeth is one of those secrets. You might be as well. I'd say on Columbia we'll see more "Big Brothers" then Big Daddies.
    Arrers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Arrers
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " Could just be some random guy. "
    My thoughts exacly. consisdering that Bioshock Infinite  meant to be set in 1912, It seem unlikley Anderw's going to be an adult if he appears in the game.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Shadow

middle-aged guy with a medium build and short dark hair in a suit!?  It could only be him!

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bravetoaster
    @Vitor said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:

" I was wondering what was up with that guy. I'm pretty interested in what this game could be. "

Eurogamer preview makes it sound pretty crazy - very Bioshock so far but I have no doubt that these guys will push the boundaries of just what that entails 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-12-bioshock-infinite-preview "
    That was a good article.
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fjordson
    @Arrers said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    My thoughts exacly. consisdering that Bioshock Infinite  meant to be set in 1912, It seem unlikley Anderw's going to be an adult if he appears in the game. "
    Technically he would be a 20 year old adult, but I agree. Ryan seems incredibly unlikely to appear in this game.
    Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Arbie

Ah I remember seeing that guy, didn't click on to it being Ryan though, but who knows? Only time will tell! Although, from what these guys have said so far they seem pretty clued up so I reckon it's a bit unlikely.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By RobotHamster

Probably not, I think its just a look alike, or maybe is FATHER!!!

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Andrew Ryan is not in the trailer.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VoshiNova

I'm so excited about this find!
    I don't doubt that it's Andrew Ryan, hopefully someone can verify it.

NIce find!

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Franstone

I think BioShock Infinite takes place around 40-50 years b4 the events in BioShock 1... 

So if Andrew Ryan IS in the trailer than he would be in diapers.
    tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By tranquilchaos
    @Fjordson said:
    " @Arrers said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    My thoughts exacly. consisdering that Bioshock Infinite  meant to be set in 1912, It seem unlikley Anderw's going to be an adult if he appears in the game. "
    Technically he would be a 20 year old adult, but I agree. Ryan seems incredibly unlikely to appear in this game. "
    What's your source on his age here? Wouldn't that make him roughly 60 in the events of Bioshock? He didn't look 60....
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MiniPato
    @KingDaniel97 said:

" @MiniPato said:

" I think I heard in one of the video interviews or previews that Infinite has no connection to Bioshock 1 and is actually set in its own universe. So I don't think he is Andrew Ryan. Or he might be an homage to Andrew Ryan. "

I doubt it would be in it's own dimension... why bother establishing that it occurs before Bioshock 1 if it's got no connection. I'd say it's definitely in the same universe but I wouldn't expect to see anything beyond subtle nods towards Rapture. Rapture was a statement about exclusion from social norms, and how more feral traits can effect a person. A society based on merit entirely. I'd say Columbia's "point" for lack of a better term would be a society that, since it takes place in a floating world's fair, would be a statement about how a person goes when, instead of hiding your genius away from the "lesser" parts of society, you expose it entirely. I figure in Infinity, we'll be seeing mutation on a less noticeable scale, and more of the government trying to hide their dirty secrets. I'd think that Elizabeth is one of those secrets. You might be as well. I'd say on Columbia we'll see more "Big Brothers" then Big Daddies. "
    It's set in 1912 to take advantage of the "feel" of that time not because it's a prequel. And personally I would prefer it that they craft their own new world and new story instead of trying to find some cheap way to tie it into an existing one.

http://www.joystiq.com/video/9bffbc43

About half way in Ken Levine says how Bioshock Infinite is like Bioshock, but not. He says that "there are no Bioshock sacred cows" and that there are no big daddies and that the robot guy was not what it looked like. He states clearly that Bioshock Infinite is a Bioshock game in terms of gameplay motif and and the philosophy involved. "Bioshock is a lot more than Rapture. It's a first person shooter set in an amazing place with a story wrought with ideas that are tied to human history. Everything else for us is up for grabs." Meaning he doesn't have to stay in the same universe of Rapture. He sees the Bioshock name containing more of the gameplay style rather than the universe of Rapture. They called it Bioshock Infinite cause it looks and plays like Bioshock and not putting the Bioshock name in it would have been a cheat. He even compares it to Final Fantasy.
    Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Matterless
    @Fjordson said:
    " @Arrers said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    Technically he would be a 20 year old adult, but I agree. Ryan seems incredibly unlikely to appear in this game until the twist. " 
    Fixed.
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fjordson
    @tranquilchaos said:

" @Fjordson said:

" @Arrers said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    Technically he would be a 20 year old adult, but I agree. Ryan seems incredibly unlikely to appear in this game. "
    What's your source on his age here? Wouldn't that make him roughly 60 in the events of Bioshock? He didn't look 60.... "
    My brother, who is an even bigger BioShock nut than me. I checked around, though, and he seems to be correct. He said "early 20's" and according to that Wiki it would be 20 on the dot.

http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Andrew_Ryan 

My main hangup with him being in Infinite isn't really his age, though. It's more about what he experienced before coming to America. It's what helped shaped his entire philosophy and what eventually drove him to create Rapture. If he's already in America that early in his life it basically retcons that part of his back story and cheapens a lot of his beliefs portrayed in the first game. I just think he was such a great character, I don't see why Irrational would want to toy with that.

With that being said, Irrational knows a hell of a lot more about their canon and about making games than I do. I'm sure if he is in Infinite it'll be done in a surprisingly clever way.
    evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By evanbrau

I hope there are no ties to the first game in this one. No fan service, no nods or winks just let it exist on its own merits.

Jais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jais
    @RobotHamster: Nice avatar, bro. :P 

And I really hope that there will be at least some tie-ins with Bioshock. I hope your guess is right.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By EpicSteve

You play as Andrew Ryan!

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tallTuck94
    @Vitor: hate to blow your bubble but ALOT of people looked like that back then
    Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Babble

Based on a Bioshock background wiki, Andrew Ryan never left Russia until 1919, and was present for the revolution in 1917. So that's not him... Plenty of people in 1912 would have looked like that man.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Mighty

Nice!
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Kyreo
    @Shadow said:
    " middle-aged guy with a medium build and short dark hair in a suit!?  It could only be him! "

No Caption Provided
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By demontium

Is a man not entitled to the prequel of his own masterpiece?! 

That is all.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Vitor said:

" @wolf_blitzer85 said:

" I was wondering what was up with that guy. I'm pretty interested in what this game could be. "

Eurogamer preview makes it sound pretty crazy - very Bioshock so far but I have no doubt that these guys will push the boundaries of just what that entails 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-12-bioshock-infinite-preview "
    After reading this, I am even more hyped for this game. The look and feel of the trailer felt like Bioshock, yet in a different setting with different characters. Plus all this speculation on whether or not Andrew Ryan is in the game makes this even more fun.

If Mr. Levine is indeed creating a Bioshock universe much to the effect of Final Fantasy, I am most interested in what they do with the RPG aspect of the game. What's going to be the parallel to plasmids and ADAM? Levine said that they would treat the upgrades and such much like the first Bioshock which is fine and all, but I'm excited to see what sort of twist they put on it.

On the Andrew Ryan speculation: Do we even know how old he truly is? I mean who knows what kind of stuff Ryan was hopped up on before the events in Rapture. We know some about his past, but there could be some pretty crazy shit revealed about who/what Andrew Ryan is.
    I don't know what it is about this trailer, but I am very much so interested in more Bioshock philosophy. It just looks awesome, and I can't wait to hear more. Goddamn 2012 being like a million years away.
    donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#32  Edited By donutfever

Ryan would not be that old in 1912, and he was probably just a boy when Columbia flew up.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Daveyo520

Are you sure it's him?

Ratfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ratfoot

Only way it could be him is if they retcon it by making him appear in his 40's but actually much older because of plasmid use or something.

AlfredCapone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AlfredCapone

While I dont think that is Andrew Ryan, I'd put money he is in the game.
    I pretty stoked for this tho

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HandsomeDead

My first thought was Sander Cohen.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " My first thought was Sander Cohen. "
    Oh dude, I totally forgot about that guy. This would make a little more sense, since not much is known about Mr. Cohen's life before Rapture, so who knows?
    Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Turtlemayor333

I think the whole idea that at no point Infinite will have anything to do with the first game is a little far fetched. I'm not saying they will (or should) have it where you meet some young character from Rapture at every street corner, but by the end of the game I'm sure we'll have some story threads to go on.

That might not be Ryan, but that was definitely a Big Daddy figurine.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#39  Edited By BeachThunder
    @Degringolade said:
    " @Fjordson said:
    " @Arrers said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    Technically he would be a 20 year old adult, but I agree. Ryan seems incredibly unlikely to appear in this game until the twist. " 
    Fixed. "
    This is just one of the many Andrew Ryans you will encounter throughout Columbia; there will be one of him from every age range due to cloning tools being available in alternate 1912. So, I guess you could say that the amount of Andrew Ryans in the game is
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    Oh dude, I totally forgot about that guy. This would make a little more sense, since not much is known about Mr. Cohen's life before Rapture, so who knows? "
    I think it also makes more sense because you never get a sense of how old he is and judging by his cynical tone when you meet him, he's old enough to know of success elsewhere and is depressed that he passed on what he had to go to Rapture. It's unlikely but it seems a way to tie the fiction together without having to go directly to Andrew Ryan.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    Oh dude, I totally forgot about that guy. This would make a little more sense, since not much is known about Mr. Cohen's life before Rapture, so who knows? "
    I think it also makes more sense because you never get a sense of how old he is and judging by his cynical tone when you meet him, he's old enough to know of success elsewhere and is depressed that he passed on what he had to go to Rapture. It's unlikely but it seems a way to tie the fiction together without having to go directly to Andrew Ryan. "

I did find it interesting after re-watching the trailer for like the tenth time, the dude is standing next to a phonograph and is conducting along with the music. If I remember correctly Sander Cohen was a music composer amongst other things.

Color me giddy.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vitor
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    I think it also makes more sense because you never get a sense of how old he is and judging by his cynical tone when you meet him, he's old enough to know of success elsewhere and is depressed that he passed on what he had to go to Rapture. It's unlikely but it seems a way to tie the fiction together without having to go directly to Andrew Ryan. "
    I did find it interesting after re-watching the trailer for like the tenth time, the dude is standing next to a phonograph and is conducting along with the music. If I remember correctly Sander Cohen was a music composer amongst other things.  Color me giddy. "
    Very true - surprised that  didn't occur to me as Cohen was my favourite character from Bioshock.  

The plot thickens...
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Here is a picture of Andrew Ryan the creator of  Mickey Mouse.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ryanwho

Its a red herring. And the girl looks like Snow White, doesn't mean you play as Snow White.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Ratfoot said:

" Only way it could be him is if they retcon it by making him appear in his 40's but actually much older because of plasmid use or something. "

I am pretty sure plasmids where discovered in rapture. He was thought to be born near the end of the 1800s. And he arrived in rapture 1946 and died in 1960 
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @ryanwho said:

" Its a red herring. And the girl looks like Snow White, doesn't mean you play as Snow White. "

That would be amazing though. Throw in some steam punk flying dwarves flinging bees all over the place and fuck! it'll be the greatest game ever made!

Sadly Snow White will only be an AI character though. No co-op as far as we know.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I doubt it's him.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By Vinny_Says

yeah because nobody back then had slick black hair and a mustache.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MiniPato

It doesn't take place in the same universe as Rapture.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Shadow said:
    " middle-aged guy with a medium build and short dark hair in a suit!?  It could only be him! "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.