Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Blur

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 25, 2010

Bizarre Creations' Blur mixes the driving of the Project Gotham Racing series with explosive weaponry and allows players to race up to 20 online opponents.

Activision Announces Bizarre's Blur

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    In typical Activision fashion, people have been talking a bit about Blur since it was mentioned in a business context months ago. But the game is official now, and it's going to be the next racing game from Bizarre Creations, the developers of the Project Gotham Racing series.

It doesn't sound like this is going to be another kudos-oriented racer with points for stylish driving. Instead, Blur will take real-world locations and licensed cars and marry them to a system of power-ups, like speed boosts and, as the release puts it, "the ability to blast other cars out of the way with huge bursts of energy."

Locations in the game include Los Angeles, San Francisco, Barcelona, and Hackney, UK. But it sounds like the game won't be terribly focused on duplicated real-world raceways. The tracks will contain alternate routes and jumps. It also sounds like the game will have some kind of story, but that sounds a bit confusing, as it's being conveyed via a social network-like set of features. Up to 20 players will be able to play online.

Activision released a pair of shots showing Blur in action. Meanwhile, I'm left wondering if there will be a new hidden Geometry Wars game in there somewhere. Either way, Blur is due out later this year on 360, PC, and PlayStation 3.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    In typical Activision fashion, people have been talking a bit about Blur since it was mentioned in a business context months ago. But the game is official now, and it's going to be the next racing game from Bizarre Creations, the developers of the Project Gotham Racing series.

It doesn't sound like this is going to be another kudos-oriented racer with points for stylish driving. Instead, Blur will take real-world locations and licensed cars and marry them to a system of power-ups, like speed boosts and, as the release puts it, "the ability to blast other cars out of the way with huge bursts of energy."

Locations in the game include Los Angeles, San Francisco, Barcelona, and Hackney, UK. But it sounds like the game won't be terribly focused on duplicated real-world raceways. The tracks will contain alternate routes and jumps. It also sounds like the game will have some kind of story, but that sounds a bit confusing, as it's being conveyed via a social network-like set of features. Up to 20 players will be able to play online.

Activision released a pair of shots showing Blur in action. Meanwhile, I'm left wondering if there will be a new hidden Geometry Wars game in there somewhere. Either way, Blur is due out later this year on 360, PC, and PlayStation 3.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

People were talking about Blur? Must have missed that...

digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By digital_sin

EPIC! Can't wait! I <3 Bizarre Creations!

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By hexogen

Sounds kind of like Midnight Club, with the boost and power to blast other cars out of the way and whatnot. That first screen even gives off an MCII/MCLA kind of vibe, since it takes place in what looks like the Los Angeles River and has one of those flare-like checkpoint ahead of the cars. Certainly seems interesting, though. I'll have to keep my eye on this one.

nima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By nima

I read this in a magazine a few days ago. sounds very interesting. Ill definetly be keeping an eye on this

gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By gormers

Sounds like a lot of fun. Kinda like burnout. But maybe with a more blurry screen when you boost (and a blast ability). 

Either way Im more likely to buy this than any other more realistic driving game. Well see how great the blast ability will be.
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By TheKidNixon
    LordAndrew said:
    People were talking about Blur? Must have missed that...
    If by "people," they mean the Listen Up podcast. Because that's the only place I had ever heard it mentioned, but they named it several times and then said they couldn't say anything about it. Because they're cagey like that.
    EmptyQuarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EmptyQuarter
    TheKidNixon said:
    LordAndrew said: People were talking about Blur? Must have missed that... If by "people," they mean the Listen Up podcast. ... [more]
    It was also the cover story on this month's Edge. Sounds pretty awesome.

BlackPuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BlackPuma

Nooo! not powerups!?
    PGR was brilliant why do they had to change that.. :(

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jkz

Yeah I read this in EDGE, looked interesting there, although they seemed to be unsure of whether the cars could be balanced with the power-ups, so that they FELT powerful, and FELT like they could send someone flying out of the course, but that they actually don't, since that would ruin the game's balance

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude

I bet it has lots of motion blur.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By RHCPfan24

There has to be something really substantially different with this game for it to succeed. Seriously, with DiRT 2, Split/Second, Fuel and the new Need for Speed games coming out, this racing market may be a bit oversaturated.

christilton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By christilton

BLUR was the cover story on the latest issue of EDGE Magazine. Odd that Activision would "announce" a game that already has extensive magazine coverage.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By RagingLion
    Los Angeles, San Fransisco, Barcelona and .... sorry .... WHAT!!!!! .... seriously??!!! .... Hackney!??  I come from North London myself, not far from Hackney.  I can't say I've frequented those streets that much but it's a typical slightly grotty residential urban suburb in North London with fairly enclosed streets and nothing particularly spectacular about it at all.  That just seems a totally weird choice to me alongside those other cities - slightly incongruous and definitely weird to me since it's so close to where I was brought up.  Oh well, we'll see how it turns out.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks

lol, Hackney!, in London, that has got to be some sort of joke.

RagingLion said:

Los Angeles, San Fransisco, Barcelona and .... sorry .... WHAT!!!!! .... seriously??!!! .... Hackney!??  I come from North London myself, ... [more]

Fack off, what are you on about, grotty my arse, Hackney is a awesome place, and has been for some years now. It's a bright and colourful melting pot with great culture all around.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By DJ_Lae

Well, at least Turn 10 is keeping PGR alive.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By godzilla_sushi

I just love PGR4 so very much. Turn 10.....good hands....

I guess this isn't the Bond racer that was mentioned in the past. I wonder if it was at one point...considering the weapons and locations.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PJ

Are you sure thats Bizzare making it because the screenshots look like shit. PGR4 looked awesome this doesn't.

MasterChief360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MasterChief360

I love the PGR franchise, so I will keep an eye on this new IP from Bizarre Creations.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Media_Master

nice

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.