Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

The third Borderlands game, set between the events of Borderlands and Borderlands 2, follows a quartet of familiar faces as they work to bring Handsome Jack into power through misadventures on Elpis, the moon of Pandora.

No one's talking about this game!

• 117 results
    HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Why would anyone be interested in anything Anthony Burch has touched?

He's writing again? I played 20 hours of Borderlands 2 and actually couldn't finish the game because I couldn't put up with any more of the writing to stick out the last 2 or so hours.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Ghostiet

I'll pick it up one day, although I still have to do BL2's DLCs. I like those games, but 3 has to completely revamp the way your skill works to have more actives and shit, because in 2 only Mechromancer and Psycho get seriously distinctive in terms of playstyle with passives.

@dudeglove said:

Worst part about Tony Burch is that when you read interviews with him etc., he seems like a really smart guy with some sensible opinions. Then he makes a joke and you want to do a murder-suicide.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I loved 1, but I thought 2 was plagued with some terrible design decisions like putting orange level drops only on bosses, ridiculously bullet spongey enemies that were just no fun to fight at all solo and the worst writing this side of FFXIII.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#55  Edited By Yummylee

I'm probably just going to wait for its inevitable PS4/XB1 GOTY collection port or whatever. I fucking love Borderlands, though, so I definitely want to get around to it eventually; maybe if its PS3 version isn't god awful like BL2's was I may get it sooner rather than later.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I loved 1, but I thought 2 was plagued with some terrible design decisions like putting orange level drops only on bosses, ridiculously bullet spongey enemies that were just no fun to fight at all solo and the worst writing this side of FFXIII.

Let it go, seriously.

@ghostiet said:

Worst part about Tony Burch is that when you read interviews with him etc., he seems like a really smart guy with some sensible opinions. Then he makes a joke and you want to do a murder-suicide.

Unfortunately, being intelligent and sensible doesn't really equate to being able to tell a good joke or to be a skilled writer. It takes more than intelligence and articulation to be effective at either.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By MiniPato

Borderlands needs to do more than low gravity, a new damage element, and character reskins for me to care about Borderlands. Even Borderlands 2 felt like a minor upgrade, offering only convenience enhancements over any real gameplay overhauls. And honestly, after replaying a bit of the beginning of Borderlands 1, I felt like the gunplay got worse in the sequel. They just lack punch. It doesn't help that 3/4 of the assault rifles you find have stupid fucking gimmicks that prevent them from shooting straight. Or most of the good sniper rifles and shotguns have to reload after like 2 shots. Please Borderlands 2, I just want an assault rifles that shoots bullets, not arching grenades, rockets, or orbs of electricity that make plasma rifles from Fallout 3 look like a minigun.

Borderlands needs to make characters feel more unique and have more interesting upgrades in the skill trees that are more frequent. You have to invest at least 10 points in a single tree before you get anything that drastically changes your character skill. Characters in general need more active skills than just the one. And they need just more interesting passives. For instance, why is the gunzerker only able to dual wield for a limited time? I felt really ripped off when choosing the gunzerker and realizing I couldn't constantly dual wield. I mean, it's a shame when Mass Effect 3's character classes all feel more unique and deep in their side multiplayer co-op horde mode than Borderlands 2, a coop game with an emphasis on character uniqueness.

They also need to retool their questing system. Why do I have to go back to the quest giver to collect my reward? Why can't we just contact the person via hologram and tell them we did the thing and they can give us our reward through teleporter? Can't you just project your unfunny sightgags to me via teleporter? Cause I don't want to half to travel all the way back just to hear some unfunny joke or gag. If I have to do another Hodunk/Zaford war mission ever again, it'll be too soon.

And everyone has said it, but the writing needs something done to it. The story isn't good enough for me to want to follow it and the humor isn't good enough to distract from the boring story. Every single character is making jokes at the story's expense, so why should I care? And the few characters who do play it straight are boring and not compelling (Roland).

Borderlands needs to be more than that game with "over a billion unique guns!"

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got pretty deep into Borderlands 2, so much so that I realised that the game is really flawed (to me, at least) in some not so obvious ways. I'm sure no one wants to read me go into the specifics, but it mainly involves the way loot (especially legendaries) is handled, on top of the difficulty in UVHM when playing solo, on top of the fact that deciding to play again to try out a new class requires a mandatory slog, both through the initial area as well as the first couple of levels, where it feels the skills you are gaining make almost no difference. IF Borderlands The Pre-Sequel seems to have fixed those things in the reviews, I'll probably buy it post-launch.

Edit: Also, the unnecessarily massive areas where there are no vehicles allowed and you have to run through them multiple times. Fuck those.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're telling me people don't want to discuss B-team cash in's?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

BL2's attempts at humour made me extremely angry. It's a testament to how good the gameplay was that I actually made it all the way through.

madpierrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This will sound a lot harsher than it actually is, but Borderlands 2 kinda killed the Borderlands name for me. I still liked the game and enjoyed playing through it, heck i beat it several times and bought a good chunk of the DLC. It's just that the original was one of my favorite games of the generation and 2 was just... ok to good. And after having sunken over 250 hours into the original and another 100+ into the sequel I didn't enjoy it enough to want yet another sequel. Borderlands 2 ended up being a bit frustrating with the difficultly being annoying, lack of good weapon drops and tedious map design. Also I felt it dragged on for too long and the writing wasn't very good.

Again it's a game I put over 100 hours into and beat multiple times, but in no way did it leave me hoping for more. I've been wanting ice weapons since the original game, so it's equal parts cool and annoying that they are finally adding them now and the oxygen mechanic seems like it will be more annoying than fun. I am curious to see all the action skills and skill trees though and if they tweak the weapons. I'm sure I'll pick it up in a year during a steam sale, but that'd be it.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Lab392

I hate to say it, but Borderlands 2 kind of soured me on the series. I loved the first game, and I'm one of the few people who even enjoyed playing it single player. There was something about the atmosphere and the way the guns felt that I got really attached to. There was no real story, but I was fine with that.

Then Borderlands 2 came along. They took out almost any incentive for gun specialization, they turned revolvers from powerful and effective hand-cannons into a rather weak pistol pseudo-subclass that is only manufactured by Jakobs and "shoots as fast as you pull the trigger," they turned Torgue guns into almost unusable weapons with the slowest projectiles imaginable, they made gun shops completely worthless, and it seems like they tweaked the loot and stat algorithms so that rare guns are hardly ever as powerful as they should be. My problems with that game sound nitpicky, but I feel like they get to the root of why I didn't enjoy the second game as much. And although I'm embarrassed to admit it, I also miss the head explosions from Borderlands. Headshots feel like they have less impact in the second game because of it.

I would love to be excited for the Pre-Sequel, but I just don't feel it.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought a new console so I think I might skip this one for a while. Probably, pick it up during a Steam sale when I've recouped the cost for my ps4.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By Brendan

My brother and I had a lot of fun playing through BL2 and a most of the DLC together (we gave up before beating some of those huge bosses) so I can safely say that I'm more interested in this game than I've been for Destiny.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I loved Borderlands 2, but I'm over it. This game seems like a glorified and overpriced expansion pack, but I'm still looking forward to eventually getting it for $5 or less on Steam.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: So i've seen Maybe one or two videos that those two have done, that was years ago, and I remember not caring for them.

But that was Really bad and I wholeheartedly did not like anything I saw in that video. Oh god, and this guy is writing the Pre-sequel too?! No wonder I found Borderlands 2 so hit-or-miss with it's comedy.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I wasn't planning on getting it, despite my love for the series. But after Destiny has been such a massive letdown, I'm considering picking it up to satiate my desire for an actual good loot-based shooter. I haven't been following it at all, so I don't know much about the new classes, but if they fix the busted loot system and ridiculous difficulty of 2, i'll almost certainly give it a shot.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will eventually pick it, once it is included in some Steam Summer Sale or something. I have been playing a lot of Borderlands 2 with friends, and this looks too similar.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

considering borderlands 2 is one of my fave games ever,i will play this eventually.im not playing it anytime soon though because destiny is way better imo and it will take all my fpsrpg time away.plus ill be buying the expansions for destiny so wont need borderlands anytime soon.unlike other people in this thread i love the dialog and characters in borderlands alot,which is the only reason ill play the presequel because everything else is way better in destiny.now if only destiny could have great characters like borderlands.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onekillwonder_: I can see your point. I felt like it's too much of the same. But after Destiny, they may not be a bad thing. At least I know I'll get something I enjoy.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've more or less bailed on the series after getting BL2 during the summer Steam sale and leveling my soldier into the 20s. Beat the first game twice on console (along with a good deal of the DLC) and this is my second go-round with the sequel. Enough's enough, and while a proper current-gen sequel may get me back in the loop, Gearbox has to do a better job of making solo playthroughs worth it in terms of loot.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me and my friends abandoned Destiny after the beta to preorder Borderlands instead. I'd say we're excited for it. This is not a good site for finding people who like it though, a lot of people here just like to poop on it.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#74  Edited By ProfessorEss

I really, REALLY liked the first Borderlands but for some reason I feel like one was enough. Wasn't real excited about 2 and even less excited about the new one. That said I can TOTALLY understand the people who love it and would never rule out the possibility of it re-clicking with me someday - and hey, on that day I'll have two full (probably deeply discounted) games to obsess over!

Destiny may not be the new shit (?) but it is killing any possibility of Borderlands being in the lime-light.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The writing in Borderlands is some of the shittiest writing I have ever seen in anything. Ever. Also, it's pretty boring to play alone, and even when I'm playing with friends, I feel like it's a grind. This game also doesn't seem like it's worth $60, and I never want to see Handsome Jack ever again. So I'm pretty unenthusiastic about this game.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professoress: I've gotten both Borderlands and Borderlands 2 on PS+ for free, so for me it seems like a safe bet to just wait this one out as well (not going to buy the DLC).

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Shindig

@mortuss_zero said:

Me and my friends abandoned Destiny after the beta to preorder Borderlands instead. I'd say we're excited for it. This is not a good site for finding people who like it though, a lot of people here just like to poop on it.

Admittedly for reasonswhich the good gameplay has managed to kind of gloss over. It'll still have some quality loot lust. You might just have to zone out when a robot tells you a joke about an internet meme.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

@dudeglove said:

@hailinel said:

@dudeglove said:

I dunno. They really like years-old memes?

I'll just leave this here as proof of me not wanting to give Gearbox money for anything this man's involved in.

Loading Video...

That... seems like an overreaction to what is little more than a goofy video that you may or may not find funny.

Man I didn't realize how strongly some folks felt about the writing in Borderlands 2. I always felt like it was pretty harmless, not to say I found it especially funny but I certainly didn't find it offensive in any way.

I played through both games and that first game left absolutely no mark on me at all. I quite literally don't remember anything about it except for the very beginning of the game.

Borderlands 2, like it or not, absolutely had more personality.

VikingRk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was either playing with/talking to other people or listening to/watch something else the entire time I played BL2. So the writing really had no affect of my enjoyment of the game. I don't really get how people let the humour stop them from playing if they like the gameplay. It's pretty easy to ignore it completely.

matmaelstrom11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pretty excited for this at first but after seeing more footage it just seemed too similar to borderlands 2. I really like that game, i even like Handsome Jack and Tiny Tina, i think i just sank too much time into that game to play a game that looks like more of that. Plus being on old consoles isn't doing it any favors either.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#82  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

@dudeglove: Oh yeah completely forgot about that, but to be fair I doubt most people complaining about the writing are speaking about that.

And while I understand criticism against the appropriation of language, I don't think it's inherently racist-- problematic for sure, but depending on the context not necessarily racist. But then, I'm a white dude, so I'm not exactly an expert.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

It's the only game I have pre-ordered at the moment. It's more Borderlands, which isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but whatever, I like the skill trees, I like the shooting, I like the big worlds, and I might have had the tiniest bit of an addiction to the badass ranks from BL2. If this is a B-side Borderlands game, so be it. I know what I'm in for and I'm perfectly content about that.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Loved the first game. The second felt too much like more of the same and because of that I don't feel like playing this.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I likey blands2, but man was there ever so much content for it. Also my one coop buddy i was playing with didn't play at all past the first few days. I don't have the hateon for it that some do, but with my initial partial playthrough of it and my D3 fetish lately i'm a bit loot-gamed out. I'll probably revisit blands2 and try to mop up as much of the content there before diving into the presequel (or, damn my willpower, will probably get it anyway when it goes on sale...)

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I might end up getting it down the road. I do not understand the decisions made by Gearbox, like other posters. Maybe it'll be a surprise good game and is access-able on steam.

I still want to like Gear Box.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#87  Edited By Dalai

It's the only game I have pre-ordered at the moment. It's more Borderlands, which isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but whatever, I like the skill trees, I like the shooting, I like the big worlds, and I might have had the tiniest bit of an addiction to the badass ranks from BL2. If this is a B-side Borderlands game, so be it. I know what I'm in for and I'm perfectly content about that.

My thoughts exactly, however I haven't pre-ordered the game and probably won't buy it immediately. It looks like more Borderlands and that's not a bad thing, even if it's only something to keep us occupied until Borderlands 3.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think the problem I have with The Pre-Sequel! is that it looks more like an expansion than a full game. It doesn't help that it's only coming out on previous gen consoles and that the new mechanics aren't particularly revolutionary. The UI even looks exactly the same! I mean, sure, it's more Borderlands, and that sounds cool, but I've already spent about 200 hours playing 2. I've gotten a fucking fill of that game, and if this game isn't going to be too wildly different from the previous game in the series, I won't be buying this until later on when it's dirt cheap. Maybe The Pre-Sequel! will probably be a pretty good game, but I don't normally buy "pretty good games" on day one unless it's some sort of zeitgeist thing that all my friends are caught up in. (I'm sure I'll have more fun with it than with Destiny, however.) Due to the tempered excitement for this game, I don't think that will happen for me.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: Yeah, except we like those dumb internet meme jokes just fine. We're not particularly picky.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, cos when Duke Nukem said 'balls of fail' all was forgiven. Duke Nukem Forgiven. Have that one for free, Gearbox.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well...I did play Arkham Origins and even enjoyed it somewhat, so with that logic I could play this as well. Only problem's the fact that I haven't even finished BL2 and that this is not coming out on PS4.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My partner and I spent the past three or four months playing through Borderlands 2 and dang are we super excited for the Pre-Sequel!

We were originally looking forward to Destiny but from what everyone's been saying, it wouldn't be for us. So now our hopes are on Borderlands being amazing and giving us the same amount of enjoyment we got from the second game. From what I've seen of it (long gameplay demos showcasing each class) it's shaping up to be just as good, or better, than its predecessor. Anyone else following it or at least interested? I was honestly super surprised that there was only one other forum topic about the Pre-Sequel.

Well everyone saying that is frankly wrong, Destiny does everything Borderlands 2 did that was good. AKA: A multiplayer shooter that is fun with friends. Only borderlands is less demanding in general until you get to the high end difficulties, looks a lot worse on screen, plays more like diablo, and has slightly better class functions but I mean slight.

That said no one cares about Borderlands the pre sequel because you may as well call it Borderlands 2: The Gravity mod. It is literally borderlands 2 just with 4 slightly different classes (they even use the same body models/frames), a couple new gun types, and gravity/oxygen meter. It should be an expansion not a new game at full retail.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By glots

@strangestories Oh, and unless you've got two seperate consoles in your household to play with (those two also being either two playstations or xbox...es), you really couldn't have played co-op in Destiny anyway, since there's no option for split-screen. That's the one thing I did like about Borderlands and would hope there'll still be some shooter coming out in the future that has that option, besides (probably) Borderlands 3.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im super fucking pumped to finally play as Claptrap, hes supers seem fucking weird from what ive seen.

Dont really mind if it ends up being like Borderlands 2.5, i like me some Borderlands.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By zels

B1 was a great start to the series - fresh and promising. The problem with B2 is that it didn't fix many of the first game's issues, and added a couple of new ones. It seems like B:PS is following the same path. I didn't feel like replaying B2 for the gameplay and I couldn't care less about the story - with those two in mind a game like B:PS is completely ignorable.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

@humanity said:

I really enjoyed Borderlands 2 but after I finished that game I felt like I was really done with the series. I don't know how much more of that formula I could take - especially after playing Destiny and seeing just how poorly it can be executed.

I'm looking forward to the game, but this has me worried as well.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#97  Edited By cloudymusic

I'll play it a bit because I'm getting a free PC copy thanks to that NVIDIA promotion, but yeah, I don't have the highest expectations for this, especially since development is being farmed out to a different studio. If anything, just taking BL2 for another spin might be a safer bet.

But who knows, maybe it'll actually be great and I can be pleasantly surprised.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would buy it if isnt wasnt for the old systems only.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well said. This is dead on.

I played through Borderlands 1 probably 6-7 times, once as each class and then again as some of the classes. I found it a ton of fun. I've yet to finish Borderlands 2 (which I bought day one). The change in weapons combined with a lot of other design issues has made me not want to go back to it. It's too bad because I really did enjoy the original. It's one of my favourite games from the last generation.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@jadegl said:

I'm more excited to play it after playing Destiny for the past three days.

Say what you will about it being on a last gen console, and soon after BL2, but man I love that series and the loot mechanics. The shooting is always fun and the co-op is just awesome, so I know it will be a great way to spend time with my SO.

Yeah, same here. I loved Borderlands 1 and 2, and after having played a lot of Destiny myself this quickly rose on my short list of new games to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.