Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

The third Borderlands game, set between the events of Borderlands and Borderlands 2, follows a quartet of familiar faces as they work to bring Handsome Jack into power through misadventures on Elpis, the moon of Pandora.

No one's talking about this game!

• 117 results
    Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Strangestories

My partner and I spent the past three or four months playing through Borderlands 2 and dang are we super excited for the Pre-Sequel!

We were originally looking forward to Destiny but from what everyone's been saying, it wouldn't be for us. So now our hopes are on Borderlands being amazing and giving us the same amount of enjoyment we got from the second game. From what I've seen of it (long gameplay demos showcasing each class) it's shaping up to be just as good, or better, than its predecessor. Anyone else following it or at least interested? I was honestly super surprised that there was only one other forum topic about the Pre-Sequel.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I really enjoyed Borderlands 2 but after I finished that game I felt like I was really done with the series. I don't know how much more of that formula I could take - especially after playing Destiny and seeing just how poorly it can be executed.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Releasing this only on the old consoles was a weird move and has basically killed the hype for it. I'm sure if it reviews very well there will be some interest.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Funkydupe

There's not much to talk about, its Borderlands 2 with some new characters and Laser/Ice weapons. Releasing it as a new full-priced game brings in a lot more cash. Then they could do the whole DLC thing all over again ontop of that. Classes are so limited in this game. They're all basically the same except for their passives and 1 active skill. I wish they'd go with a more complex system of progression allowing players the ability to use multiple actives for more diverse classes and fun gameplay but alas.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

There's so much content in Borderlands 2 that I have yet to finish that I don't really want to think about a sequel right now. Maybe once they announce the next Borderlands game I'll play this one in anticipation.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I killed Handsome Jack. I don't want to see or hear him again, and they go ahead and make a prequel with Handsome Jack all up in your grill.

Releasing this only on the old consoles was a weird move and has basically killed the hype for it. I'm sure if it reviews very well there will be some interest.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I haven't touched any of the season pass stuff in BL2. Also this game seems like it will be $20 on Steam sooner rather than later.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Let's see last-gen only, check. More Handsome Jack, check. And I'm feel kinda done with Borderlands, check. So yeah, that is why I don't care about it.

Although I have heard (and seen a few screens) that there are quite a few Pony references in it.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

It seems like the absolute worst way to go after BL2. The moon mechanics seem dumb, and it is being released way too soon after BL2. Most people I know aren't even done with BL2.

Speaking of BL2, what a shit way to handle DLC with their dumb difficulty modes. I reached a point where one playthrough didn't give me any experience and the other was unplayably hard.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Funkydupe

I got it bundled with my graphics card. :(

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

The characters and dialog were so terrible in BL2 I never want to suffer through another one.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's sad to see no one else really interested in it but I guess it makes sense since they're not changing a whole lot. As for us, we loved how 2 played and how the weapons felt so more of that with some additions is fine :D

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one is talking about it because it really feels like a B team stopgap sequel for old ass consoles the same way the latest GoW games were.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Me and my wife are looking forward to it. I'm generally not a big fan of middle chapters written after a fun story though, and considering the developer we're a little cautious in our exuberance. Still, looking forward to it and hoping it'll be a blast.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Well frankly it looks like even more more-derlands

Which is ok since those games are fun, but given that BL2 was not too long ago at all, I think it would have needed to do something pretty drastically new to get people excited. The Moon and a Oxygen meter don't do it for me.

I'm sure it'll be a good time, just looks more like an expansion than a new game to me.

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm sure I'll probably play it eventually, just because not many games like this bother to have local split-screen coop anymore, and playing games with my husband is really fun.

The biggest detriment to my GAMER HYPE LEVELS is that I don't really feel like paying $60 for a mod of Borderlands 2.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Guesty_01

Absolutely loved the shit out of Borderlands 2. Still have 2 pieces of the DLC to play. I'll pick this new one up no doubt, probably once its about £10.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like it will be identical to Borderlands 2 and thus vastly superior to Destiny.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While i do love Borderlands 2 the Pre-Sequels 4 main classes and setting does nothing for me. Oh wow a whole game on the moon, that sounds doesn't sound great. Everything ive seen about the 4 classes makes them look less fun then the ones in 2. The new frost element and new laser weapon type sounds fun and the low gravity (suck it Destiny) environment might make me pick it up if my friends pick it up. I do wish it was just on PS4 though, i dont really want to buy anymore PS3 games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super excited! I forgot it was coming out until a few days ago and now i'm rolling around on the floor yelling "More borderlands! More borderlands!" I still need to get the platinum trophy on the PS3 version of Borderlands 2, should probably grab that soon...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I loved Borderlands 1, I enjoyed Borderlands 2, and I'm looking forward to Tales From the Borderlands; but I just don't really feel any pressing desire to play more shooty Borderlands :(

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's on my "will probably play eventually" list. I'm sure it'll be a fun game, but it's just not compelling enough for a day 1 purchase.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved both BL1 and 2, but the way they've been milking the shit out of 2 has put me off of wanting to play The Pre-sequel. I will probably pick it up eventually.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more excited to play it after playing Destiny for the past three days.

Say what you will about it being on a last gen console, and soon after BL2, but man I love that series and the loot mechanics. The shooting is always fun and the co-op is just awesome, so I know it will be a great way to spend time with my SO.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely excited for it but like others have said I think it being only on the old consoles may be holding some hype back for it. Plus they are going to have a season pass, so that's probably a year of DLC based of Borderlands 2 DLC run. So in a years time you will still be playing on your last gen consoles.

I want to get this game day one, but if they have intentions of releasing it on next gen consoles with all the DLC I'd rather get that which is what they probably will do. It's shitty because they definitely wont say that's what their plans are if they are planning on doing this to milk sales.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bigsocrates

@somberowl: I would bet on an eventual "Borderlands trilogy" for XBONE and PS4. They like to milk these games, and with the distinctive art style they would basically just have to crank up the resolution to make them look great, no need to do much retooling.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Despite Borderlands 2 being my favorite game of that year, I refuse to care about this game because it's last gen only, and I played Borderlands 2 to death.

Normally I wouldn't care all that much about playing on a last-gen system, but I have a feeling that Gearbox / 2K Games is only doing this to get people to double dip. With this game already being on PC, and them already having high resolution art assets, there should be no reason not to release it right from the start on the new consoles. Games on PS4 and X1 are already outselling the same versions on last-gen consoles, so it doesn't even make sense from a financial standpoint, UNLESS they want people to buy the game twice, and I'm not about to buy this game twice.

I don't want to support that. When I can buy the game for a current gen gaming console, and play it in high resolution with a better frame rate, that is when I'll buy the game. Even better if it includes all the DLC.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somberowl: I would bet on an eventual "Borderlands trilogy" for XBONE and PS4. They like to milk these games, and with the distinctive art style they would basically just have to crank up the resolution to make them look great, no need to do much retooling.

Sounds like a solid prediction.

Uberunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the first Borderlands a lot, and was kinda disappointed by Borderlands 2. I'm very much done with Borderlands for a while. At least until the inevitable current-gen Borderlands game eventually gets announced.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Because its the B-Team version of an already mediocre game on a last gen platform is why people aren't talking about it.

ramagamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm vaguely interested but since I just picked up all the DLC for BL2 in the last Steam Sale and have yet to play-through it I don't think I'll pick up the latest release just yet,

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I have heard (and seen a few screens) that there are quite a few Pony references in it.

Hype killed.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like the game is a bad deal. When I bought a new console, I moved away from my old ones. I don't want to play this on 360/PS3. This was such an odd move and I don't see anything that makes me want it even after BL2. I was excited at first, but the more and more I see it the more I feel like I'm buying Borderlands 2.5.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@tourgen said:

The characters and dialog were so terrible in BL2 I never want to suffer through another one.

Precisely how I feel. The mechanics and systems in BL2 are the only reason I played through it, I literally cannot stomach the writing in that game. I won't buy this one and I won't buy any future ones, unless they shell out big for a good writer.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It seems like a known quantity. Hey, here's more Borderlands 2. And man, Borderlands 2 was faaaantastic. While there's no cyborg ninja to play as, the gunslinger lady seems like fun. I'll play it at some point, but not at full price.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

To be honest, the only reason I am not waiting for this is because I have enough games to play. Still playing Warframe, got back into Diablo 3 and if Shadow of Mordor is good I will play that soon.
    I actually liked Handsome Jack and the rest of the humor. He's kinda like a more sinister and crazy Sterling Archer. The new classes seem cool, especially if Wilhelm actually work the way they said. So I guess I am saying I'll buy this someday? Probably?

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HeyGuys

There's not much to talk about, its Borderlands 2 with some new characters and Laser/Ice weapons. Releasing it as a new full-priced game brings in a lot more cash. Then they could do the whole DLC thing all over again ontop of that. Classes are so limited in this game. They're all basically the same except for their passives and 1 active skill. I wish they'd go with a more complex system of progression allowing players the ability to use multiple actives for more diverse classes and fun gameplay but alas.

They're saving all that for Borderlands 3.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont think there's a PC version so Im good. Not for snob reasons but my old consoles are gone.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MezZa

I find it hard to care about. I loved Borderlands 1, and enjoyed my first run through of Borderlands 2. I put almost 400 hours into both games on the pc alone, and thats not counting the year I played the original on the ps3. The problem with this is I feel like I'm done with Borderlands 2 and ready for the next thing. This doesn't feel like the next thing. It feels like an extension of Borderlands 2 with a few new additions. I liked Handsome Jack, but I don't need another game with him. I don't need them to extend these same jokes even further. I never felt the urge to go to the moon either. I want to know the story of the rest of the vaults. Not what Handsome Jack did on the moon before Borderlands 2. The characters look really boring this time too. None of them stand out as the character I want to play in this game. All in all it feels like a filler game because they want money, but don't want to make 3. I can't get myself excited for that.

Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
    IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perfect storm of not being interesting.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I dont think there's a PC version so Im good. Not for snob reasons but my old consoles are gone.

Why would you get rid of them?

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a PC version, just go check Steam!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Why would anyone be interested in anything Anthony Burch has touched?

I dunno. They really like years-old memes?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I was mildly positive on Borderlands and downright fatigued with the game after BL2. I just don't like their take on shooting. They'd have to rebuild the game's mechanics from the ground up for me to buy another in that series at full price.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
    deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's another stop-gap game... like Gears of War: Judgement and God Of War: Ascension... it's just another game they know they can put out quickly in between bigger projects so they can have a another big release for that year.

It'll probably be a very competent game and anyone who buys it will probably get a decent product, but it'll just be Borderlands 2 with some minor iterative additions and improvements. But I doubt it'll do anything special.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm not big on the Borderlands series. The first one was alright, but it's more of a coop game so I didn't have much fun playing it and have lost interest in the rest of the series.

There's not much really for me to talk about it for it, so I don't.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked being able to throw a turret like a mile away and have everything just be dead when I show up. Maybe not the best way to immerse in a game but I never grew tired of doing that.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems alright. I really like Borderlands and it's more of that. I'm a bit skeptical about this one though. I know it's not a full sequel, but it looks like Borderlands Lite to me. I haven't seen much of it though.

It's also coming right at start of the fall rush, so I think it'll get lost for me. Probably something I'll pick up next summer at a discount.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.