Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bulletstorm

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Stylish, ludicrous kills net big points in this ridiculously over-the-top first-person shooter.

Bulletstorm Didn't Make Any Money, Epic Likes it Anyway

• 153 results
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By zombie2011

I really wanted to buy this game but the game had no standard MP, which for a FPS is kinda weird. 

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By Zelyre

@FMinus said:

Put it on Steam and put it on sale for 15-20EUR and it will sell.

It is on Steam. In fact, I was waiting for it to go on sale during the Steam Summer Sale. It never did. It wasn't even discounted.

Its overall length and lack of a multiplayer modes pushed it into the "Not worth $60" zone. When reviews came out, it pushed it down to "wait for the big sale" zone.

It was on sale on EA's Origin service for $15. I got halfway through signing up, got called away, and then couldn't be bothered to finish redoing everything. If it were on Steam, even for $20 or $25, I'd probably have just snagged it on impulse.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#103  Edited By jeanluc

I really liked Bulletstorm.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I liked Bulletsorm but the game was always going to be a risk as it didn't play like a traditional shooter and its humor wouldn't be to a lot of peoples tastes. Good to see Epic being a good sport about not turning a profit.

StageLXdk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By StageLXdk

"Bulletstorm" is by far my favorite shooter this year!!! It's just plain fun from start to finish, and the graphics are some of the best I've ever seen! And the soundtrack?! The menu music, man, oh the menu music...!!! :-)

GrandMarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#106  Edited By GrandMarshal

what is wrong with you people not buying bullet storm. it was great

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Guyzea said:

Dicktits.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#108  Edited By zameer

I wonder if they factored in marketing costs in that assessment.

mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By mrangryface

My favorite FPS in a while- so nice I bought it twice (PC and 360). Glad upper management isnt being all KOTICK about it.

jeffb01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By jeffb01

After playing the demo and hearing about the juvenile humor, I didn't have much interest in it... but, I heard good review after good review, so when EA was having a sale ($40 for a bunch of their games within 4 weeks of release),  I picked it up and LOVED it. The demo didn't do this game justice - and I think  this is a problem with a lot of games. One of my favorite things about this game was the cool weapons. The demo just had the standard assault rifle and the kind of interesting leash (which I didn't really get so much in the level) - if that demo had the gun that shot grenades chained together, the charged shot of the shotgun, or the sniper rifle that you control the bullet in the air, etc, I think their game would of possibly done better.

Daftasabat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Daftasabat

Seeing that huge monster for the 1st time and then kicking it's ass will never go away as one of THE moments in my gaming history. Class game. Hope they do a sequel

Alezor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Alezor

It's nice to know that i wasn't the only one that didn't get this game, or even like it.

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By m0rdr3d
    @Sharkington said:

Epic doesn't think the way most companies do because most companies aren't filthy ****ing rich from licensing the Unreal Engine.

Still a cool view for them to take as opposite of the other prick executives in the industry. 

@Scratch said:

For me personally, it got lost with all the other games I had in my back log. I had planned on getting it after clearing the shitload of games I had left unfinished first. Alas, I still haven't managed to clear much of those games and it just keeps piling on.

It got lost for me too.  I'd still like to go back to it cause it played solidly and I liked the speed of it.
    John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By John1912

Thought Bulletstorm was pretty marginal.  Chars and humor sucked pretty bad imo.  Its an odd contrast to Shadows of the Damned.  They both had pretty similar styles of humor, one I hated other I loved.....I guess Bulletstorm lacked originality in its trying a bit too hard, and too generic characters/one liners.....

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#115  Edited By GreggD

I'm just gonna go back to ignoring Bulletstorm and enjoying Painkiller.

GleasonRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#116  Edited By GleasonRyan

I like that Epic doesnt write off PCF from one game that didnt sell, on the other hand thats kinda what happened with Kane and Lynch. And the second game of that franchise was shit

Krampus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#117  Edited By Krampus

I liked Bulletstorm a lot but I know People Can Fly can do better too so I'm really excited to see what they do next.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Branthog

I bought and beat the game on launch day and while I had an enjoyable time, the more time I put between me and that game, the less impressed I am by it. The only thing it really had going for it was the "score points with different styles of kills using the lasso!" thing which was pretty gimmicky and got old after awhile. If they did a sequel that contained the exact same gameplay in it, I am not sure that I would buy it again.

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#119  Edited By tobygw

From what I played of the demo, the gameplay in bulletstorm just never seemed fun to me even though that seemed like its main focus. I'm surprised so many people liked it so much, or maybe I'm just missing something.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#120  Edited By ptys

Bulletstorm interested me, but it was just released at a very high FPS saturation time. I don't think many games would stand a chance in that climate anyway regardless of their quality.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Brought it on PC discounted, alot of fun, runs pretty well maxed out plus cheevos is always a plus

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Cubical

Maybe Epic should not have taken  painkiller     Turned into a noob console FPS and the fuck over   everybody on PC who bought  people can fly and epics games.  

Dumb down a PC FPS for consoles give it horrible controls  sell it to console noobs and ruin the game with a console noob like version on PC. 

Oh and ship it with fucking DRM

OH wait they did the same thing with unreal tournament 3 and nobody bought it either. 

holly fuck that means it won't sell  Nice job epic you have learned your lesson. 

Because you have been an ass hole epic and the only people that buy yout crap now is the console noobs dumb enough to be buying gears of war on xbox nobody else touch your crap with a 12 foot pole anymore.  

Your console noob bulletstorm you put out is why I did not touch the game on pc or the fucking console noob version. I was interested in it until you pulled that crap.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/17/no-pc-bulletstorm-demo-cliffyb-indifferent/

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Vexxan

I never cared much for the crazy one-liners of this game but I thought it sold well. Really.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By vinsanityv22

The game sold, like, a million units between PS3 and 360 alone. Of course, they also made money on PC. They're lying. They HAVE to be. No way this game didn't make Epic any money. Unless their contract with EA specifically said they wouldn't get any additional money (besides the $ EA paid them to actually develop it) unless they managed to move 3 million or above or something. Which would be dumb. 

At any rate, the game probably would've had more appeal if the tone weren't so overtly stupid. After playing that demo, I know my enthusiasm for it dropped significantly. The heroes of Bulletstorm are some of the dumbest idiots I've ever heard in a game. It's distracting how stupid them and their made-up curse words are. And I enjoy Duke Nukem Forever:) Bulletstorm was easily much, MUCH worse. I would've bought it if it weren't so offensively dumb, but instead I just rented it. So suck it Epic. Reel in the idiocy next time and maybe you'll do better at retail. 

Or learn to enjoy selling at least a million copies between 3 platforms.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By landon
    @Cubical said:
    Maybe Epic should not have taken  painkiller     Turned into a noob console FPS and the fuck over   everybody on PC who bought  people can fly and epics games.  

Dumb down a PC FPS for consoles give it horrible controls  sell it to console noobs and ruin the game with a console noob like version on PC. 

Oh and ship it with fucking DRM

OH wait they did the same thing with unreal tournament 3 and nobody bought it either. 

holly fuck that means it won't sell  Nice job epic you have learned your lesson. 

Because you have been an ass hole epic and the only people that buy yout crap now is the console noobs dumb enough to be buying gears of war on xbox nobody else touch your crap with a 12 foot pole anymore.  

Your console noob bulletstorm you put out is why I did not touch the game on pc or the fucking console noob version. I was interested in it until you pulled that crap.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/17/no-pc-bulletstorm-demo-cliffyb-indifferent/
    They made it for consoles because pc gaming is dead.
    flannelbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By flannelbeard

So what, EPIC makes plenty of money. They take %25 of the money from games that use the Unreal Engine... and there are a fuck ton of those out there. They can afford to make games that don't turn a huge profit. Besides Gears 3 will surely more than make up for it.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#127  Edited By Little_Socrates

I feel like Bulletstorm was always the game DNF wanted to be. In fact, I bet DNF stole some of Bulletstorm's sales. 

Granted, I didn't buy Bulletstorm, and I bought DNF and hated it, so I was one of many who made the wrong decision there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the shit out of Bulletstorm. I hate to see it falter in sales like this. It makes me hate modern gamers and their disgusting habits in buying anything with a marine in a modern war on the front.

FMinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By FMinus
    @Zelyre said:

@FMinus said:

Put it on Steam and put it on sale for 15-20EUR and it will sell.

It is on Steam. In fact, I was waiting for it to go on sale during the Steam Summer Sale. It never did. It wasn't even discounted.

Its overall length and lack of a multiplayer modes pushed it into the "Not worth $60" zone. When reviews came out, it pushed it down to "wait for the big sale" zone.

It was on sale on EA's Origin service for $15. I got halfway through signing up, got called away, and then couldn't be bothered to finish redoing everything. If it were on Steam, even for $20 or $25, I'd probably have just snagged it on impulse.

Can't find it on Steam (Europe/Slovenia) for some reason. Is it GFWL I forgot, cause if it is, then that's the reason it didn't sell, cause it's limited to the few countries GFWL supports, at least that's the way steam works (Can't download Section 8 Prejudice either, cause Slovenia is not supported by GFWL as an example), you can still buy a boxed version in a store tho, which is silly. 
    aaronchance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By aaronchance

Didn't like the demo. Combat wasn't as good as Painkiller, and the story was straight up terrible. Maybe Epic should have scaled the design of the game back so it didn't need to be a million seller to turn a profit, because it was clear from the outset to me this game was never going to do big numbers.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#131  Edited By HadesTimes

It surprises me that Bulletstorm didn't make any money considering it was your key to Gears of War 3 beta. Usually beta key games make money; guess not in this case.

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Mumrik

It was made in Poland just like the Witcher 2, yet somehow the budget was much much larger? Why?

Also, screw 4½ hour games.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#133  Edited By fox01313

Fun game though for me it didn't get much more than one playthrough, just didn't seem all that much of a game to get hooked into the multiplayer but definitely had some fun moments. Like others, this game made me want to go back & play more painkiller.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By penguindust

There are too many shooters on the market, but good job holding on to a studio with talent rather than gutting the staff and dumping their IPs.  Still, I wonder if there are just too many games out these days. 

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Juicebox

I hate how meelee attacks don't kill your opponents.

AriesDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By AriesDog

I would've bought Bulletstorm if it wasn't published by EA. The game wasn't a hit so expect them to shut down the servers within a year.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Jimbo

There was nothing all that much wrong with the game, it was just too easy to rent given the shortish campaign and relative lack of multiplayer. As long as they don't make that mistake again next time they should be fine, and I expect Epic realise that.

It's not like PCF turned out a shitty, broken game; they were just a little naive between them about what sells and what doesn't sell nowadays. Games don't sell if you can get everything out of a rental.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Jimbo

@flannelbeard said:

So what, EPIC makes plenty of money. They take %25 of the money from games that use the Unreal Engine... and there are a fuck ton of those out there. They can afford to make games that don't turn a huge profit. Besides Gears 3 will surely more than make up for it.

You're thinking of UDK. They take a 25% royalty from games using UDK once you make over a certain amount (you only pay a token fee up front though, so anybody can use it).

They aren't making 25% from every game that licenses the full commercial Unreal engine (it does cost developers about $1m+ per game per platform to license it though, iirc).

mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 4

#140  Edited By mariussmit

I would've gotten this if the PC demo wasn't so poorly ported. At first it crashed until I downloaded the right cocktail of display drivers, then the menus were not built for a mouse and then finally it had that weird laggy feel to the aim that games that shooters that are ported from console to PC tend to have.

Vlad_Tiberius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Vlad_Tiberius

How can you make profit when you're asking almost 10 bucks for a DLC pack with 3 or 4 maps now, 5 months after release, especially  when Bulletstorm isn't Call Of Duty in terms of marketing and /or as an established title?

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#143  Edited By Sanious

It didn't sell well because at this point the worst of the worst like video games anymore. People for the most part just want to same thing and just want their franchises, that's it.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#144  Edited By MeatSim

They are still getting all that Unreal Engine money so Epic is fine.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By dvorak

I actually thought that Bulletstorm was fun as hell. I just hope that it gets some kind of follow-up somewhere down the line.

Saga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#146  Edited By Saga

The creators of Bulletstorm had great ideas but couldn't puzzle them together. It was missing the flow that great games have but I can't say that it was a bad game. It was fun but it's a rental and not a game you need to own.

JJpenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By JJpenguin

I never played Bulletstorm, but therein lies the problem, I suppose. The release seemed obscured by other big budget titles and what it offered was a much shorter overall experience (from what I could see) 

I just can't see the purchasing sense in this day and age for a short/medium single player shooter without a strong multiplayer aspect, purely because of the rental market.

RecallBerserk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By RecallBerserk

Bulletstorm is on my shit list as most dissapointing game of the year.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#149  Edited By MikkaQ

Too bad it didn't sell because it was a really cool universe they set up, and I very much appreciate the heavy use of color in the game, really makes the Unreal Engine impress in ways it hasn't before.

It also happened to play really well. Absolute blast to play. I guess people just want multiplayer shooters though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5865c6a5c9438
    deactivated-5865c6a5c9438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PeopleCanFly can live off of my appreciation of the existence of that game instead of my dollars... right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.