Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bulletstorm

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Stylish, ludicrous kills net big points in this ridiculously over-the-top first-person shooter.

Bunch of puppyweasels out this week - Bullestorm Full Clip Edition

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By glots

You know the trailer music is bad, when you find yourself hoping that they would've kept Boom by P.O.D. as the song.

This trailer also lacks the satisfying numbers&text flying off enemies and the great/terrible dialog for whatever reason, but hey, the game itself is probably still great! The characters are kinda whatever and the level design could've been more inventive/open, but I still liked the combined shooting and leashing/duke-booting enough to let those flaws slide aside. It even managed to last through most of the game, iirc. Think it was only towards the very ending where all the trick shooting became almost impossible and you were just blasting enemies like in any other shooter.

Too bad the remaster is apparently going for $50 on Steam and $59 on PSN Store, the latter price especially being way too much. You can get 15% off by pre-ordering, but it's still pretty salty. The 50€ (42€ for Plus-members) over in our Store actually almost feels fair by the comparison, but should still be like 30€. Also making the Duke DLC free only for people who pre-order the game isn't the smartest move, like Jeff or Brad mentioned in the Bombcast a while back.

I still hope this manages to succeed, if that's what is needed for Bulletstorm 2 to happen.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I love Bulletstorm, but $50 for it is batshit nuts. Gearbox keeps making bizarre business decisions I can't figure out.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wouldnt the original version hold up fine on pc?

it's been on sale so many times but i've never bought it for some asinine reason. guess they'll be delisting it now. :)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's been on sale so many times but i've never bought it for some asinine reason. guess they'll be delisting it now. :)

I feel like the pc-version played well enough, but I also recall it crashing quite often. I believe you also still have to disable the GFWL garbage connected to it somehow.

Well, had to. I have the game on Steam, but it seems you can't buy that version anymore and there's no upgrade available for Full Clip, so this is your only chance from now on, excluding finding a physical copy or third-party website selling keys for the original I guess.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@glots said:

Too bad the remaster is apparently going for $50 on Steam and $59 on PSN Store, the latter price especially being way too much. You can get 15% off by pre-ordering, but it's still pretty salty. The 50€ (42€ for Plus-members) over in our Store actually almost feels fair by the comparison, but should still be like 30€. Also making the Duke DLC free only for people who pre-order the game isn't the smartest move, like Jeff or Brad mentioned in the Bombcast a while back.

I still hope this manages to succeed, if that's what is needed for Bulletstorm 2 to happen.

Full agreement there. I already bought this game once--for five dollars, but that's beside the point--and now they want me to pay $50? And if I wait for a sale again, arguably the only reason to even play this again--playing as Duke--is going to be locked behind a pay wall? In a re-release of a 2011 video game? Fuck that.

Although if you ever wanted to hear Fem Shepard call people limp-dicked retards, or use the phrase "kill your dicks" as a threat, you won't find that sort of thing anywhere else.

I love Bulletstorm, but $50 for it is batshit nuts. Gearbox keeps making bizarre business decisions I can't figure out.

In a couple of years, if the remake was on sale for another five dollars, and the duke voice content was an extra 99 cents, I still wouldn't buy either out of general principle. Asking people to buy DLC for a remastered game is stupid.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The port wasn't so great - mouse control has never felt right to me and other people had other problems. It was also a GFWL game and I don't think it ever got ported over. I have it on Steam but haven't fired it up in a long time and didn't play it much when I actually did start it. I did, however, play the 360 version through twice (I think?) and I remember that one being pretty fun.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By glots

@justin258 said:

mouse control has never felt right to me

Oh yeah, now I remember. I feel like there wasn't even a controller support or it was a nightmare to try and get that to work. I feel like Syndicate's pc-version also felt very clumsy to play with a keyboard and mouse, because it had so many abilities you'd have to use, kinda like Bulletstorm.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

I wonder if Fox News is going to blame it for sexual assaults again.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is cool. The price is not. If this is a move to judge interest in a sequel, they're not going to get many takers charging $60 for a six-year-old game. Cult classic or not.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I never played the original and can't get it on PC anymore so I'm going to be picking this up for sure. Gonna wait until there's a consensus on how it runs on console and PC, though, which should give me enough time to let it go on sale for cheaper. I'd be very comfortable paying $30 for it if it's a competent remaster.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@slaps2 said:

I wonder if Fox News is going to blame it for sexual assaults again.

I loved growing up in the 80s and 90s, when the claim "video games make people do and think bad things" only came from the religious right, and everyone in the gaming press were united in telling them how foolish they were. What hypocrites those journalists became.

But we'll always have Mass Effect:

Loading Video...

Continued respect to Geoff Keighley. I still think he was great in that appearance.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Bulletstorm more than I thought I would but definitely not enough to buy it again at full price.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I bought Bulletstorm for 10 dollars, I think, before the refund policy was initiated on Steam and by the time I actually tried to play it a good time later it didn't work because of GfWL. So, I'll be damned if I'm paying another cent for that game.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@spaceinsomniac: That is a classic clip, but that alien sideboob line might go down as the dumbest thing Keighley has ever said and will ever say.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#16  Edited By alistercat

I just checked on steam and in the UK it's £25, which is half the price of a new release. Still a little more than I'd like to pay but that seems fine I guess.

Correction: it has 15% off for pre-orders, £29.99 at normal price.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the original game a whole lot back on the 360. I think I paid $30 for it, and I'd have been fine paying more than that. But its a real old game at this point, and $50 (or more!) for a remaster of it is insane; $20 feels about right.

Also, I know doing this was a lot easier, but Gearbox should've just made a sequel instead of remastering the original. Do they even make games anymore? What have they done in the 4 years since shitting out Aliens: Colonial Marines? Has there been anything besides Battleborn? They helped out on the Borderlands Pre-sequel game, but 2K Australia was the lead on that.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bulletstorm is great. While goofy, I think the story is surprisingly engaging and fun, and the shooting is good too. 50 bucks is too much for me, but I'd buy it on sale at some point.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bulletstorm was a generic waste that went south in the last 3rd. Offering that at $50...cmon.

Pass.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I loved Bulletstorm to death and would really love to play it again, but...I honestly don't understand how Gearbox could justify it being full-price again. $30 is the highest fair asking price. $50-$60 is out-fucking-rageous and no one in their right mind would willingly fork over that much money for a remaster of game from 2011, no matter how good it is. And the Duke stuff being behind a paywall if you don't pre-order is goddamn baffling. It's too bad they went this route, because for the right price, I totally would've bought this game again. I'm sure as shit waiting for a sale.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Bulletstorm was top 2-3 shooters last generation, along with Crysis/Crysis 3; that said buying a janky remaster for a gimmick at full price is ridiculous. Doom is 20 bucks now right?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

uhh...

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man remember when they only put out remasters for 2-3 packaged games, and still didn't charge full price? I'm guessing this one is being released at $50 just to squeeze some extra cash out of people before it drops in price considerably a month or so from now.

Anyway, I got this on PS3 for free with PS+ forever ago and didn't touch it then, so there's no way in hell I'd drop $50 on it now. That said, I'm the asshole that bought the Kingdom Hearts PS4 collection despite owning the PS3 versions already, so it's not like I don't understand people making a poor value proposition.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By glots

@oursin_360 said:
    Loading Video...

uhh...

Oh. Maybe it's a good thing to have this behind a paywall...?

The fact that it's literally just Duke model slapped on to Gray with new dialog only from Duke is, uh...yeah. I'm sure it would be a hassle to recreate the story completely around the fact that Duke Nukem is suddenly venturing in the Bulletstorm universe, but if this was the alternative, maybe they should've just...not done this.

Actually, they should've just used some robotic voice to say "Duke Nukem" each time Gray's name is mentioned. Maybe that would've earned a laugh at least once or twice.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@oursin_360: That might as well not even be Duke. The writing just sounds like some generic protagonist.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lazyimperial

Oh, pop dubstep in the trailer... how could you, Gearbox? I half expected Clap-Trap to wheel on out and drop a microphone. :-P *shudder*

I enjoyed this game quite a lot, come to think of it. I played it after GFWL was shut down and, with the patch, it worked just fine (as far as I recall). The writing was a tad crass and juvenile (I'll shoot your dick off. "Oh yeah, lady?! Well... I'll shoot YOUR dick off! Yeah!"), but it meshed pretty well with the level of action-movie absurdity that PeopleCanFly was going for. The only complaint I had was that the game was pretty stingy about ammo for a title called "Bulletstorm." Forced you to make good use of your energy leash so there was a reason for it, but still... never quite enjoyed scrounging for rounds.

$50.00 for a re-mastering of a fairly recent six hour long game that already looked fine as is, though? Pass. I actually bought the old version on a Steam sale years ago for $10 bucks, so this is five times that price for nothing but some new gloss and a half-hearted Duke mode that I can't even get anymore because it was a pre-order bonus only. Utterly absurd.

Now make Bulletstorm 2 and you can take my $50.00. Heck, I'll thrown in an extra $10.00 for you. ;-) That'd be worth every single penny, especially if you got Steven Blum back as the lead.

Edit Addition: That video of "Duke Nukem mode" that @oursin_360 linked reminds me how much I miss The Duke. With a decent writer, he's pretty darned fun. Memories. *remembers wall growths in Duke Nukem Forever squirting alien milk and frowns* Mixed Memories, haha.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I remember being pretty underwhelmed by the original release given how rad it could have been. The price on this re-release is baffling and so is that Duke mode, I'm a big duke3d fan and its hard to imagine anyone legitimately thinking that adds value to the game.

Also for whatever reason the placement of the barrels on the shotgun always bothered me way more than it should've, 2x2 would look way cooler than 1x4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.