Puzzle Bobble 4 is a tile-matching puzzle game developed and released by Taito for arcades (running Taito F3 System hardware) in December 1997.
The fourth title in the Bust-A-Move series, Puzzle Bobble 4 adds a story to the main Vs. Computer mode (where the inhabitants of Rainbow World must find all of the Rainbow Bubbles), a brand new character roster (along with more-detailed attack patterns), and new gameplay mechanics (including "chain combos" for Versus Mode and new obstacles in Puzzle Mode).
The game was ported to some systems as either Puzzle Bobble 4 (in Japan, mostly published by Taito) or Bust-A-Move 4 (outside of Japan, mostly published by Acclaim). It was ported to the Sony PlayStation (in 1998-1999), Sega Dreamcast (in 1999-2000, ported by CyberFront), Game Boy Color (in 1999-2000, ported by Crawfish), and PC (exclusive to North America in 2000 by Interplay).
The PS1 version was re-released on April 2002 in Japan as part of the budget-oriented Simple 1500 series (as Simple 1500 Series Vol. 93: The Puzzle Bobble - Puzzle Bobble 4), and was digitally re-released in North America via PlayStation Network for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, and PlayStation Vita by SCE America on April 29, 2014.
The Vs. Computer mode of the game includes 10 playable characters from the start and 2 boss characters. The boss characters, as well as 4 bonus characters, are unlockable in the console version and cannot be used in Vs. Computer mode.
- Bub (Bob for the right-sided player)
- Madame Luna (boss, only unlockable in the console version)
- Drunk (final boss, only unlockable in the console version)
- Woolen (hidden character added in the console version)
- Packy (hidden character added in the console version)
- Maita (hidden character added in the console version)
- Monsta (hidden character added in the console version)