Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: WWII

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 03, 2017

Call of Duty's 2017 release returns to its World War II roots.

Anyone else underwhelmed by this?

dOm_CaTz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Anyone else underwhelmed by this? (217 votes)

Yes 55%
    No 44%

The more I see of this game, the less I want to play it. It looks like every other WW2 game. I loved the IW campaign and the multiplayer was fine(nowhere near worst CoD ever) and this feels like a step in the wrong direction to me.

• 
    MeldingPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I had already forgotten they showed a trailer at E3.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#2 fisk0  Moderator

I had pretty low expectations. Seems like it does hit what I expected this thing to go for. I certainly wish someone would do a WW2 game with a more interesting twist. Going the less reverent 70's WW2 movie route or taking on some of the less explored aspects of the war. But as someone who enjoyed Call of Duty 3 and World at War a lot more than the Modern Warfare games, underwhelmed is probably not the word I'd choose. But no, I'm not excited either.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more curious about how many people realized that the trailer they showed during the Sony conference was all multiplayer footage. I feel like they did a really poor job conveying that fact and really buried a decent amount of cool stuff they're bringing to the new mode because of it.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Looked cool to me. I haven't played a Call of Duty since Black Ops 2. I thought all the future shit was exceptionally stupid, and I'm pleased they've changed things up, even if it's a return to an older style of game.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Getting it day one

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given the small amount of footage one being a brief campaign trailer and the secound a MP montage its hard to judge, but its not shocking COD still COD no matter the era maybe be careful what you wish for.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

No, this is exactly what I wanted from Call of Duty since I fell off their train in 2009

PaddyDodger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no expectations and still ended up being disappointed.

They really didn't show anything to convince people like me - people who weren't going to buy it - to give it a look.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda. I was a huge fan of COD 2 but I had more then my fill back then.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Underwhelmed by the 14th Call of Duty game? Noooooooooo.....not at aaallll

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It comes down to player count for me, if it's 32 or 64 I'll be really interested; if not whatever. My brother buys every CoD so I never have to; I've enjoyed the past three campaigns and sort of grown to respect the property again after I got tired of it post World at War (fantastic game). Aside from that just need smoke grenades to be king and for the maps to be good; though without full map saturation of players they rarely behave consistently; hence the need for high player counts (apart from it being WW2).

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Whitestripes09

I think that this is a pretty good step in the right direction for multiplayer. What I saw reminds me of a more streamlined Red Orchestra mixed with some Battlefield elements and it's own thing, which is pretty cool. I like the back to basics approach with the divisions instead of create-a-class. That was getting pretty stale and their attempts to change that weren't always great. I wish they had gone all out though... like include every theater in this game and make the definitive World War II experience instead of just the American perspective in Europe. Guess they gotta make sequels though, right?

Avatar image for twilight_prince
    Twilight_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am hoping that they are going back with modern war theme, but seeing world war 2 COD is not that bad for me.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

It looked solid to me. It was never going to blow me away probably but I am going to keep my eyes. on it. I am down for a WWII game.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im going to say yes. But im willing to give this one a shot.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I can't say I have the utmost excitement for it, but I hope it's good.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't be underwhelmed when I barely know anything about the game.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cikame

Seems fine, obviously i'm not extremely excited for it as there's nothing here we haven't seen before, but COD is still fun, some people like Battlefield, i don't, some people like Quake, i don't, COD is the middle ground that i enjoy. Advanced Warfare took it in a direction i didn't like, the verticality changes the formulae in a way i couldn't get behind, Treyarch cut back on that aspect a little while keeping the faster gameplay those abilities bring, but some of the character abilities gave free kills without needing much skill, they weren't a positive addition but i could ignore them, so a COD which cuts back on all that stuff? I'm interested in that.
    I'm up for more COD, i won't miss the jump boosts and wall running, i'm sure the campaign will be ok, but i look forward more to the Treyarch games, they're always more interesting and more finely tuned than the others.

skuski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

It's been far too long since we've had a WWII game on consoles. This is a much welcomed change of pace. Hopefully next year's iteration is Cold War Era.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty neutral about it. My interest in multiplayer shooters has faded over the years, so it's not really a question of setting for me. I like the world war 2 setting so I'll probably watch some coverage around release to see how interested I am at that time. Nothing shown here hit me in a need this game kind of way.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't be underwhelmed when I barely know anything about the game.

This. Big Time.

I've been avoiding war shooters for the past some years. Modern Warfare got a bit weird. Can't say though, that a WW 2 one would not draw me back in. It's kind of rooted in my childhood. And my memories of my parents.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I’m a bit unnerved at the removal of the Swastika from at least the multiplayer. If it’s removed from single player that’s far far worse. If they were concerned with putting women and minorities as Nazis and removed the imagery to prevent some PC outburst, that’s a mistake on all levels. Put the game I ca different world for multiplayer then. Don’t remove important pieces if history.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to it. I'm not like crazy hyped for it though. The trailer was kind of what I expected the game to be. It's really more about the multiplayer for me anyway.

sfbaybunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ecstatic. Counting down until I can get my paws on this game. Get excited, y'all!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

hmm.

I don't really feel under or overwhelmed? Not sure I guess. Feel pretty meh. I want to play it, but won't be able to afford it until next summer anyways I think.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably have fun with it.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The nail in the coffin for me was learning that all weapons are available for both sides in multiplayer...

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not out yet, so no

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m a bit unnerved at the removal of the Swastika from at least the multiplayer. If it’s removed from single player that’s far far worse. If they were concerned with putting women and minorities as Nazis and removed the imagery to prevent some PC outburst, that’s a mistake on all levels. Put the game I ca different world for multiplayer then. Don’t remove important pieces if history.

Removing swastikas from the MP I can understand, it would mean creating a separate version for German players or something. But the MP footage I saw all I heard was female soldiers shouting and screaming. I don't play CoD to be immersed (at least not the MP) but that really took me out of it. The footage also just looked like typical CoD. I know right? Not sure what I was expecting I guess, but I've gone from being excited at the announcement to having no interest at all.

I may still play the single player. At least they're actually changing stuff up for that. No auto health regeneration sounds great.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By notnert427

I want to get excited about this, but the ridiculous player speed evident on the multiplayer footage they showed has me pretty much out. I get why; it's the only way to make a game like this play how their fanbase now pretty much expects it to, but I feel like a WWII shooter should have a slower pace, guns with high recoil, etc. This looks like they just slapped a WWII skin on the twitch-shooter gameplay of the last several CoDs. It's probably why they're seemingly wanting way too much credit for not having jetpacks/wallrunning in this one (as it damn well shouldn't) with all of their lame "boots on the ground" marketing garbage.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can you be underwhelmed by a game you haven't played?

I shall probably get this one though which will be my first cod game since black ops 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to sound like a hipster but I hated COD before it was cool :P as much as I love WW2 setting MOHAA did it right COD2 was just ok but damn the game is shallow COD4 is even worse.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Evilsbane

I long ago lost interest in CoD, but I LOVE WW2 and this looks like a really nice WW2 game so I am hopeful it turns out good, I doubt the Multiplayer will keep me around but a modern WW2 campaign is something I would like to play through, I know its pandering but that PING sound at the end of trailers tells me they know what I want.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By FacelessVixen

I can't be underwhelmed by a game of a series that I never got into. I can't into the whole competitive online multiplayer shooter thing. I tried that with Battlefield 4 and that didn't go anywhere.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By MocBucket62

Sort of. On one hand, its neat that Call of Duty is going back to its roots and we're getting a big budget WWII shooter again. But on the other hand, it doesn't look all that interesting and honestly looks like a less compelling game to shoot Nazis when compared to Wolfenstein II (Judging by footage thus far).

ImGrifter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day 1 buy for me. Zombie mode looks dope and although I'm not too big of a fan of the WWII setting, the multiplayer looks fun. I will admit that when it comes to CoD I'm usually hype for the campaign but not so much with this game

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Not really? I expected exactly what they've shown, so I guess in a way I'd say I'm indifferent to the whole thing. That's not to say I think it looks bad or anything, it's just this franchise hasn't been a thing for me for years and I don't expect them to change that any time soon if ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.