Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

After the Gaping Dragon?

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mars

I tried Blighttown and had my ass thoroughly handed to me. Any ideas as to where I should try next? Also, I keep hearing people talk about how the weapons scale with you and the Drake sword becomes obsolete, I still don't have anything that compares to the Drake and I've got about 10-12 hours in ... am I doing something wrong?

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By jacdg

@Mars said:

I tried Blighttown and had my ass thoroughly handed to me. Any ideas as to where I should try next? Also, I keep hearing people talk about how the weapons scale with you and the Drake sword becomes obsolete, I still don't have anything that compares to the Drake and I've got about 10-12 hours in ... am I doing something wrong?

I think that's the "right" way, but you could try going to the forest, I'm at the same point in the game, and debating on what I should do next. If you decide on Blight Town, get the Spider Shield first, I think it blocks the poison blowdarts. I'd like for someone to fill me in on the upgrade stuff, because I still use the Drake sword too.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Chop

Well, what are you stats like? The Drake sword will still be good at that point in the game unless you've put almost all your points into dex or strength.

As for where to go, try the forest. Some of the enemies in there are pretty tough but the first forest boss is a complete pussy.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By bcjohnnie

@Mars: I would say keep using the drake sword as long as it feels effective, but maybe start trying out other weapons to see how much damage difference there is. Eventually, scaling weapons should overtake drake, especially if you pick a normal weapon and start upgrading it.

As far as where to go next, what have you done in the forest? If you've beaten gaping dragon, you should be able to take that place on. Start by trying to beat the dude in the basement near the blacksmith.

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mars

@bcjohnnie said:

@Mars: I would say keep using the drake sword as long as it feels effective, but maybe start trying out other weapons to see how much damage difference there is. Eventually, scaling weapons should overtake drake, especially if you pick a normal weapon and start upgrading it.

As far as where to go next, what have you done in the forest? If you've beaten gaping dragon, you should be able to take that place on. Start by trying to beat the dude in the basement near the blacksmith.

All I've done in the forest is get my ass kicked, that has been a while though ... I'll give it another try. How do I know what is required to wield a weapon? I've got a couple that it says I'm insufficient for but I don't know why.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By bcjohnnie

@Mars: If you look at the item in the equip screen, hit the back button to see what all that stuff means. There should be four numbers with icons next to them (dexterity's icon looks like a hand) that tell you what the minimum required stat is.

Also on that screen, you should see those four stat icons again with either a letter or a dash next to them. This is how the weapon scales as you increase each stat. Eventually you are going to want to use an item with a B or A in your primary stat, so that you get the maximum bonus damage out of it.

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mars

@bcjohnnie: Thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.