Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Area levels?

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Chummy8

I just fixed my problem with Xbox Live and now I'm back online. First, the game is so much different/better online. There's much more life to the game. Even though I got invaded in the first hour of online play, it was fun getting my ass kicked. Second, I seem to have a little problem that I was hoping you guys could help me with.

The problem is that I figured that I wouldn't ever get online back in the first place. I used the darkroot ledge trick to farm some levels and now I know I am over leveled for where I am in the game. My intention was, as a cleric, to get my faith to 50 so I can use that awesome Warriors of Sunlight miracle spear. I grinded for a little while and explored Darkroot to the point of killing the hydra and the butterfly, but failing on Sif (I figured that SL is one thing, but gear is more important in this game). I then went to Lower Undead burg and eventually the depths, where I am now. My problem is that I am SL 47 and I'd like to try some co-op on the Gaping dragon (in order to reduce the faith requirement for SunBros).

Is my SL too high for this? I've been searching for an average area level list to help me figure out just how over leveled I am. What was your SL when you killed the gaping dragon? How about Blighttown? I'll be slowing down my leveling by spending the souls on upgrades and such in order to catch up to every one else.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By imsh_pl

I was like 30 when I reached the depths, maybe less.

isbecome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By isbecome

I've had quite a bit of trouble nailing down the level range on bosses as well. I seemed to be getting the most summons for Gaping Dragon at around SL 30. After leveling to SL 35 it slowed down to a trickle for me.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jozzy

Yeah, SL is really secondairy to your gear. I am only SL 75 and I just rang the second bell in my NG+. I'd think there's plenty of people around that did the dumb ledge trick, so you probably should be able to find people. If you play on xbox 360 like me than I've noticed it's hard to get summons regardless of level. Sometimes it helps to exit and load your save again, as it might change the server you are on.

EDIT: you are on the xbox, read the OP again.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chummy8

@isbecome said:

I've had quite a bit of trouble nailing down the level range on bosses as well. I seemed to be getting the most summons for Gaping Dragon at around SL 30. After leveling to SL 35 it slowed down to a trickle for me.

Makes sense. I knew I was too high for this area. Maybe I'll be able to do some co-op in Blighttown. If I really slow down my leveling I might be able to do that.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By Barrabas

Yeah, you might want to be spending some more souls on upgrading weapons for a while instead of leveling if you're already that high this early in the game.

Poost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Poost

@TekZero I'm not really sure what level I was by the time I got to the Gaping Dragon. I would think that you aren't too far ahead of the curve though. The bigger problem is the connection problems between people on the 360. I would say about 90% (not exaggerating), my summons fail. This includes me being human and summoning people, trying to put down my own soapstone and sitting there for 20 minutes, and also trying to use the blue invasion orb as part of the Darkmoon Blade covenant. It sucks, but its awesome when it works.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptBedlam

I'm not sure if there's even a limit to coop on the bosses. When I summoned two players for S&O, they were kicking ass and barely got hurt. And I helped a few others with the Iron Golem (easy souls) when I was way overleveled for that boss.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Barrabas

@CptBedlam: You can only summon people whose levels are +/- 10% of your soul level.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chummy8

@CptBedlam: I heard that there was some issues with people being summoned just like that. When they were crazy over leveled. I'll have a chance to play again tonight, so I guess the best thing to do is try it out.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CptBedlam

@Barrabas said:

@CptBedlam: You can only summon people whose levels are +/- 10% of your soul level.

I recently read that this is actually not the case. It's a mystery ... like everything with this game.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jozzy

@CptBedlam said:

@Barrabas said:

I recently read that this is actually not the case. It's a mystery ... like everything with this game.

Maybe it's more lenient if you are in the convenant of the white.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chummy8

The white soap stone that you get to allow yourself to be summoned, is that a consumable item? I noticed I only have one of them.

elephantshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By elephantshark

SL is very important in summoning. Actually, I feel it is overly important because it is not a good proxy for character strength since gear can vary so wildly.

Here is my history of summoning...

* was summoned in undead parish SL 15 <- and this guy got invaded!!!

* summoned and was summoned in front of capra SL high teens

* summoned and was summoned in front of Gaping Demon (high twenties lvl 27-29)

* summoned in front of Quelaag SL 30

* summoned in front of Iron Golem SL 33 (ish)

* summoned in Anor Lando SL 35 (ish)

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chummy8

One of the things I noticed was that the guy that invaded me had much better gear than I did. In fact, he had a lightning spear which I didn't even unlocked access to yet.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By AlexW00d

@CptBedlam said:

@Barrabas said:

I summoned two guys for Smough and the other guy, and they were definitely much much higher level than I. They fucking kicked ass.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CptBedlam

@elephantshark: I was summoned for the Iron Golem around SL 55 more than once. It was piss easy and I was definitely overleveled.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chummy8

So, being around lvl 50 now and in Blighttown, when you do figure I can realistically hope to be summoned? I'd rather not drop my summon sign and wait if I have no chance of being summoned.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Branwulf

@TekZero: I think that you'll have a hard time getting summoned there, SL 50 is more around the average Anor Londo level i expect, people seem to like to level up a bit before Ornstein and Smough.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By cornbredx

I think more so then level restrictions, people not being human often makes it take longer to get summoned. Just a guess though.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chummy8

@Branwulf said:

@TekZero: I think that you'll have a hard time getting summoned there, SL 50 is more around the average Anor Londo level i expect, people seem to like to level up a bit before Ornstein and Smough.

Yeah, I've given it some thought, and I'm restarting my guy. Most of my time has been spent farming/grinding so I can get back to where I am in Blighttown pretty quickly. It will be easier this time as well since I know the tricks to the bosses that I've beaten. Add in the fact that, even with all of the soul grinding, I wasted a few SLs on worthless stats (for my build). So, in the end, my guy will be stronger and more focused.

Sadly, this is what I usually do in RPGs. I start some guy, learn the concepts of the game, realize that I've messed up, and then start over.

elephantshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By elephantshark

@TekZero: it is unlikely you will be summoned or find anyone at level 50 in Blight Town.

I am having a bunch of luck summoning and being summoned right at the base of the "elevator" in Anor Lando at level 45.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Poost said:
    @TekZero I'm not really sure what level I was by the time I got to the Gaping Dragon. I would think that you aren't too far ahead of the curve though. The bigger problem is the connection problems between people on the 360. I would say about 90% (not exaggerating), my summons fail. This includes me being human and summoning people, trying to put down my own soapstone and sitting there for 20 minutes, and also trying to use the blue invasion orb as part of the Darkmoon Blade covenant. It sucks, but its awesome when it works.
    Ive been reported twice. Please come invaded me. Im real bored. Ive been human for two days now. Running around Den foretress and the area after it. No one comes to visit. 
    VanillaPlant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VanillaPlant

iirc, the only summoning restriction is +/- 10% of your SL.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @elephantshark said:

@TekZero: it is unlikely you will be summoned or find anyone at level 50 in Blight Town.

I am having a bunch of luck summoning and being summoned right at the base of the "elevator" in Anor Lando at level 45.

The spinny thing right? 
    McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By McQuinn

@TekZero said:

So, being around lvl 50 now and in Blighttown, when you do figure I can realistically hope to be summoned? I'd rather not drop my summon sign and wait if I have no chance of being summoned.

HAHA SL 51 Put mine down on my way to Quelana just for kicks, got summoned in 2 minutes. the guy died before I stepped through the white light to Quelagg. He immediately summoned me again. So who knows? You might get lucky. But at SL 50, you are better off putting it down before smough and ornstien.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Chummy8

Does this list sound right to you?

http://daydull.com/tips-tutorials/dark-souls-recommend-levels-for-areas-and-bosses/

Dark Souls Recommended Summoner Level for Areas:
    Undead Burg ( 5 – 10 )
    Undead Parish ( 10 – 20 )
    Lower Undead Burg ( 20 – 30 )
    The Depths ( 20 – 30 )
    Blighttown ( 30 – 40 )
    Quelaag’s Domain ( 35+ )
    The Catacombs ( 30 – 50 )
    The Great Hollow ( 50+ )
    Ash Lake ( 50+ )
    Darkroot Garden ( 20+ )
    Darkroot Basin ( 35+ )
    Valley of Drakes ( 40 – 60 )
    Undead Asylum Revisited ( 30 – 40 )
    Sen’s Fortress ( 40+ )
    Anor Londo ( 45+ )
    Painted World of Ariamis ( 60+ )
    New Londo Ruins ( 60+ )
    The Duke’s Archives ( 60+ )
    The Abyss ( 50 – 70 )
    Crystal Cave ( 50+ )
    Tomb of the Giants ( 70+ )
    Demon Ruins ( 60+ )
    Lost Izalith ( 75+ )
    Kiln of the First Flame ( 60 – 80 )
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Turambar
    @TekZero: Tomb of Giants / Catacombs, Lost Izalith / Demon Ruins, and Archives / Crystal Caves, and New Londo are kind of coin tosses.  There is no set order on how to get through them so people all do them differently.  On the first play through, 60-80 sounds about right for the Kiln.
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Chummy8

Great, now I just beat the Gaping dragon at lvl 22. I have 50,000 souls just burning a whole in my pocket. I know that I'm going to lose em in Blighttown, because..well just because it's blighttown. Those blow dart guys usually get me at least once before I get them back. If I level myself up to lvl 30, will I still be able to do some co-op for the boss there?

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By bkbroiler

Probably! You've always got a shot at being summoned. Just leave your sign and go grind a bit and hope! You never know who will be around your level and trying to kill the boss.

Also, if you're just looking for help, there's an NPC you can summon there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.