Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Differences between Demon's and Dark

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nightriff

I'm sure you guys have had this type of thread before but my curiosity is getting the best of me. Watched the Quick Look, listened to the bombcast, done searching of videos on the internet and I fell in love with what Dark Souls was showing, but I decided to get the cheaper older model to make sure I can put up with the steep learning curve and almost required perfection the game requires, or at least how it feels when I play. But I've put in a few hours into Demon's Souls and found out that I'm kinda like Brad when I hear him talk about playing Dark Souls. So I'm curious about the differences of each games experience for the player. Are they super similar? Or is it more cosmetic and that they look alike but you approach each one differently? Dark Souls easier than Demon's? Or on par with brutality?

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By matoya

Dark Souls is just a map pack for Demons souls that has a kick command and no Allant.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

Your characters move a little faster in Demon's Souls.  Dark Souls sometimes feels cheap or unfair, whereas that was a pretty rare sensation when I played Demon's Souls.  Online is a bit sketchy in Demon's Souls, and more sketchy in Dark Souls.  Dark Souls has no mana, instead each spell has a set number of uses before you need to recharge at a bonfire.

Other than that stuff, there's the basic structural differences to the games.  Demon's Souls hub world connects many different levels, while Dark Souls has a more cohesive world, where each area is directly connected to another and must be traveled through.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By McShank

Dark is harder then demon's. The multiplayer in demons is alot easier to get invaded and get summoned but with dark out, not many will probably be playing it at this time. The combat is pretty close to being the same with very small differences like pyromancy not being in demons and that you can still move while casting Untill it actually goes off. The look and the controls are very very similar if not exactly the same (Graphics wise, dark is better but thats because its newer). Demon's gives you a little more tutorial on the way you play the game at the start vs dark souls which kind of just throws you in. The levels are compeletly different in that there are no load screens in Dark Souls besides the occasionaly fog gate which is more of a way to let you know your going in the right direction and when you get summoned Vs Demon's having 5 worlds that you have to teleport yourself into. The Difference in game play experiences are well.. I was able to get into Dark Souls alot easier then Demon's since I had played and beat demon's countless times so I knew what i was getting into and how the controls and stats worked for the most part. Either way, both games are worth playing even if you started with Dark souls as they have nothing in common in the lines of story / plot. Just game mechanics.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nightriff

@McShank said:

I was able to get into Dark Souls alot easier then Demon's since I had played and beat demon's countless times so I knew what i was getting into and how the controls and stats worked for the most part.

Not that I am, but if I just can't get into Demon's Souls then its probably best to stay away from Dark Souls?

jrlyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jrlyon

I found the actual fighting mechanics in Dark way more streamlined. I can actually pull off a riposte on a regular basis, something I only managed to do once my entire Demon's career. I found Dark easier that Demon's though, maybe because I had invested a fair amount of time in Demon's and new From's level mechanics. Take your time, do your research, and take a break when you get frustrated and this game is a delight. Play it like an FPS or treat death as a failure instead of a game mechanic and you will wonder why you wasted 60$.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By McShank

@Nightriff said:

@McShank said:

I was able to get into Dark Souls alot easier then Demon's since I had played and beat demon's countless times so I knew what i was getting into and how the controls and stats worked for the most part.

Not that I am, but if I just can't get into Demon's Souls then its probably best to stay away from Dark Souls?

No, I would say if you have the chance to rent dark souls if you are not fully enjoying demon's then do it and test the waters in it that way since the game is still different. If you cant get into Dark souls by the 5th -6th hour then you probably wont like it much unless you just push onward and learn everything the hard way :D Its what happened to me when i played demon's. I hated it till I watched a video on how you were supposed to play and i kept going then, using what I had watched and it slowly sunk into my heart that the hate i was feeling was really love.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nightriff

@McShank said:

@Nightriff said:

@McShank said:

No, I would say if you have the chance to rent dark souls if you are not fully enjoying demon's then do it and test the waters in it that way since the game is still different. If you cant get into Dark souls by the 5th -6th hour then you probably wont like it much unless you just push onward and learn everything the hard way :D Its what happened to me when i played demon's. I hated it till I watched a video on how you were supposed to play and i kept going then, using what I had watched and it slowly sunk into my heart that the hate i was feeling was really love.

It truly sounds like Heaven, alright I must put more time into Demon's Souls to know what love feels like

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mirado

Dark Souls is far easier (and in my option better) then Demon's Souls. Why?

• Elemental weapons that (currently, at least) outpace their stat based counterparts and allow you to pump vitality and endurance since you only need enough strength or dexterity to wield the weapon to do full damage.
    • Bonfires which allow you to have a much shorter distance to travel if you die, allow you to gain levels/repair weapons/improve weapons without traveling back to a hub, refill your healing item, and eventually even cut out some travel by warping(!). Not to mention the ease of farming/grinding since you no longer need to throw yourself off of a cliff to get things to respawn.
    • No real penalty for staying undead (in Demon's Souls it was half of your health unless you had a ring which made it 75%)
    • No inventory weight, plus a way to store all of your items that you keep with you and can access from any bonfire.
    • NPC White Phantoms that can help you out with bosses without you having to rely on summoning someone.
    • An entire branch of magic that has damage which scales purely with the level of the casting weapon, allowing you to have some magic options without the need to pump any more int/faith then necessary.
    • No stupid world/character tendency system that, in Demon's Souls, could lock away NPCs/areas unless you killed yourself a bunch or beat a bunch of bosses or whatever (far too confusing or at the least time consuming for it's own good)
    • A way to save yourself if you fuck up and hit a NPC that you didn't want to.
    • Bosses that are beatable with practically any build and don't really require much cheesing (Fuck you Maneater you piece of shit).

I could go on, but anyone that says Dark is harder then Demon's is full of shit.

jrlyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jrlyon

If you need a good video tutorial I have been watching EpicNameBro on Youtube. His stuff got me through a couple of issues. Also there is a cheap way to farm souls in the forest if you are interested :)

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By envane

@Mirado: i agree .. dark souls is dare say EASIER than demon's souls .. just only in the way that speaking to a person with Aspergers is easier than speaking with someone with full blown Autism.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mirado

@envane: Oh, I can agree with that. Just because it's easier doesn't make it...well, easy.

And it's not that the difficulty was really reduced, it's that there's a lot more convenience built into it. "If you don't feel like grinding for stats, here's some weapons that get around that. If you do, here's a way to make the process go quicker", etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only had enough time to get to Blighttown over fall break, so I can't speak to all of Dark Souls, but I would say the beginning part of the game is easier than Demon's Souls, bar only world 1-1 in Demon's Souls.

In addition to everything Mirado said that makes Dark Souls easier, I'll add that the game also feels less stressful than Demon's Souls because it's brighter early on. I've come across two pretty dark areas so far, but in one, the enemies are still pretty bright, and the loading screen text shows that there's a spell for light in the game, so I imagine that will take a lot of stress out of fighting something much bigger than you on what you suspect is a narrow ridge.

Edit: Also, the plunging attack is particularly handy for taking down units you think you're underleved for, especially for enemies that won't stop chasing you.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Humanity

It also seems like Dark Souls despite offering more choices has fewer "proper" options.

In Demons Souls you had all these crazy setups with Magic Falchions Dark Crescent, Moon. In Dark Souls sure you can use all these other weapons but it seems like everyone just uses the dragon sword for the first half of the game and then lightening weapons on the second half and you're set till NG.

You'll wear the gold hemmed robes for a large chunk of the game.

I get this feeling like I'm constantly getting funelled as opposed to the completely open do whatever feeling that Demons Souls had.

I'd also agree it's easier - especially upgrading weapons. You can use amazing lightening weapons now with a completely melee build.

The bonfires also make it easier I mean you guys remember having to run to the Old Hero boss fight? That shit sucked.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Humanity said:

It also seems like Dark Souls despite offering more choices has fewer "proper" options.

In Demons Souls you had all these crazy setups with Magic Falchions Dark Crescent, Moon. In Dark Souls sure you can use all these other weapons but it seems like everyone just uses the dragon sword for the first half of the game and then lightening weapons on the second half and you're set till NG.

I get this feeling like I'm constantly getting funelled as opposed to the completely open do whatever feeling that Demons Souls had.

I'd also agree it's easier - especially upgrading weapons. You can use amazing lightening weapons now with a completely melee build.

The bonfires also make it easier I mean you guys remember having to run to the Old Hero boss fight? That shit sucked.

I strongly disagree.
    Just about any playstyle is viable.
    Heavy armor is in fact more usefull then it was in Demon's souls.
    Magic is no longer the be all end all of cheese in SP.

Gold hemmed robes are only the shit if you don't have the endurance for heavier armours. (and unless you know to look for them specifically you might not get them untill close to the end of the game)

There are plenty of weapons that do very well and in fact frequently better then Lighning weapons. Yes they do require more stat investment usually.
    There is even more variety in wepons and not just the stats, but much more importantly the moove set. Which makes it way more interesting to try out different wepons.
    There are people that use heavy bows to gread efficiency. Or the wepons off Quelags soul. Or Dark knight weapons. Or lifesteal wepons. so on...
    Lightning wepons are just the easiest to obtain.

Honestly you are just restricting yourself.
    Try playing differently if you want variety. It's all up to the player.
    Half way through the game I said fuck it to 50% encumberance and put on the heaviest shit I could find with the best shield and never needed to dodge again, it worked out great!
    I had a lightning spear +5, but ditched in favour of basic Ultra Greatswords, that allowed me to 1 shot most enemies with a jumping strong 2h attack. Or 2 shot them with 1h atacks. And if I needed to i'd put resin on it to do even more dmg.
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Humanity

@Tennmuerti said:

@Humanity said:

I strongly disagree. Just about any playstyle is viable. Heavy armor is in fact more usefull then it was in Demon's souls. Magic is no longer the be all end all of cheese in SP. Gold hemmed robes are only the shit if you don't have the endurance for heavier armours. (and unless you know to look for them specifically you might not get them untill close to the end of the game)There are plenty of weapons that do very well and in fact frequently better then Lighning weapons. Yes they do require more stat investment usually. There is even more variety in wepons and not just the stats, but much more importantly the moove set. Which makes it way more interesting to try out different wepons. There are people that use heavy bows to gread efficiency. Or the wepons off Quelags soul. Or Dark knight weapons. Or lifesteal wepons. so on... Lightning wepons are just the easiest to obtain. Honestly you are just restricting yourself. Try playing differently if you want variety. It's all up to the player.Half way through the game I said fuck it to 50% encumberance and put on the heaviest shit I could find with the best shield and never needed to dodge again, it worked out great! I had a lightning spear +5, but ditched in favour of basic Ultra Greatswords, that allowed me to 1 shot most enemies with a jumping strong 2h attack. Or 2 shot them with 1h atacks. And if I needed to i'd put resin on it to do even more dmg.

I play different mostly because all the things I heard were great somehow glitched out on me.

I mean I use a lightening halberd and I love it if not for the shoddy targetting.

Magic is the same cheese as it ever was - Pyromancy lets you completely bypass some tough enemies earlier on and fire almost always does good damage against bosses.

I'm sure there are SOME people that use different weapons but the majority that I've met have been wearing and using the same equipment. After Quelaags boss battle all the ghosts I kept seeing in my game were wearing gold hemmed robes and up late into anor lando as well,

Bows are the same cheese they always were so whatever.

I'm sure I can play differently - hey I can not wear any armor and two hand a broken sword. sure that will totally change up my game - is it gonna be fun? Probably not.

I get your argument, theres some valid points in there, but saying "hey man just change up your game style" isn't really an argument when theres this great playstyle that works on the right, and then theres all these other playstyles that ehhh kinda work too but not as well on the left. I play light weight with a halberd - when I battled Sif I put on fat armor, a heavy shield and a +10 great axe - that worked for that boss fight but it's not a viable playstyle for the whole game.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Humanity said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Humanity said:

I strongly disagree. Just about any playstyle is viable. Heavy armor is in fact more usefull then it was in Demon's souls. Magic is no longer the be all end all of cheese in SP. Gold hemmed robes are only the shit if you don't have the endurance for heavier armours. (and unless you know to look for them specifically you might not get them untill close to the end of the game)There are plenty of weapons that do very well and in fact frequently better then Lighning weapons. Yes they do require more stat investment usually. There is even more variety in wepons and not just the stats, but much more importantly the moove set. Which makes it way more interesting to try out different wepons. There are people that use heavy bows to gread efficiency. Or the wepons off Quelags soul. Or Dark knight weapons. Or lifesteal wepons. so on... Lightning wepons are just the easiest to obtain. Honestly you are just restricting yourself. Try playing differently if you want variety. It's all up to the player.Half way through the game I said fuck it to 50% encumberance and put on the heaviest shit I could find with the best shield and never needed to dodge again, it worked out great! I had a lightning spear +5, but ditched in favour of basic Ultra Greatswords, that allowed me to 1 shot most enemies with a jumping strong 2h attack. Or 2 shot them with 1h atacks. And if I needed to i'd put resin on it to do even more dmg.

I play different mostly because all the things I heard were great somehow glitched out on me.

I mean I use a lightening halberd and I love it if not for the shoddy targetting.

Magic is the same cheese as it ever was - Pyromancy lets you completely bypass some tough enemies earlier on and fire almost always does good damage against bosses.

I'm sure there are SOME people that use different weapons but the majority that I've met have been wearing and using the same equipment. After Quelaags boss battle all the ghosts I kept seeing in my game were wearing gold hemmed robes and up late into anor lando as well,

I'm sure I can play differently - hey I can not wear any armor and two hand a broken sword. sure that will totally change up my game - is it gonna be fun? Probably not.

I get your argument, theres some valid points in there, but saying "hey man just change up your game style" isn't really an argument when theres this great playstyle that works on the right, and then theres all these other playstyles that ehhh kinda work too but not as well on the left. I play light weight with a halberd - when I battled Sif I put on fat armor, a heavy shield and a +10 great axe - that worked for that boss fight but it's not a viable playstyle for the whole game.

Except that I'm not saying to to change to a suckier playstyle.
    Other playstyles are just as viable and as effective.
    I went through more then half the game in the heaviest armour possible with the best shield. And all those parts that people using light characters bitched about were super easy to me.
    So yes it's a very viable playstyle for the entire game, more so in fact that a lot of others.

There are plenty more setup's that are also very effective.
    Pieman51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pieman51

Um... There are lots of differences. I'll name them now. WARNING: SPOILERS AND POSSIBLE WALL OF TEXT.

- The game is A LOT harder. The strategies need to be taken even MORE carefully than the last game, or you're going to get fucked in the ass.

- The ENTIRE game revolves around a SINGLE area. Your starting area is basically a HUB that leads to different areas throughout the game. You are not restricted to a clumped-up level.

- Probably the BEST feature of this game is that there are CHECKPOINTS. There were checkpoints in Demon's Souls as well, but not NEARLY as helpful. "Bonfires" are the names of these "checkpoints". What you can do is LIGHT a bonfire, and then REST at it to store your point at that area. This will assure that you may RESPAWN here. It also counts as an "Auto-Save" area, to save your game in a relatively safe spot. Do note that EVERY TIME you REST at a bonfire, EVERY enemy in the area you're in will respawn. This is to prevent people from constantly healing before killing. Bonfires are also the ONLY source in the game for you to level up from. Self-Explanatory really. Later in the game with sufficient souls, you may purchase things from a blacksmith who may repair and upgrade your items, and will allow you to Repair & Upgrade AT YOUR BONFIRE INSTEAD. This is an EXTREMELY helpful trait, but SOME enhanced weapon upgrades can't be done from bonfires. MUCH later through the game, you will receive the ability to WARP with your bonfires. Not EVERY bonfire will be warpable, but only the bonfires that are at KEY POINTS. Key points such as Fire-Keepers or Boss Rooms, or Covenant Altars. Bonfires are arguably the best addition added in the game.

- Covenants have now been added. They serve no other purpose other than to assist you in fights such as PvP or PvE, as well as helping you summon people at a more efficient rate. Covenants may be given items to, and in turn, give you any possible spells or miracles that they may have to offer. Every covenant will also give you a ring to commemorate with that covenant. For every covenant you join, you will get a Silver Trophy. (Don't know the GS for the Xbox 360). Some covenants will even give you a Fire-Keeper Soul if you kill them. NOT all of them will.

- Humanity. That is all. Humanity is an item in this game that will ONLY work if you are in your "Hollow" state. This is the state you start out in, and you APPEAR to look like a ghoul of some sort. Using humanity will increase the number of Humanity you have on the top left, and this can be used at a Bonfire to "Reverse Hollowing". This will revert you to human form, allowing you to summon people, and PvP.

- Estus Flask is your life in this game. Literally. This item is your main healing item, and NOTHING else will heal you besides a few miracles. They are in limited supply, and WILL be replenished upon resting at a bonfire. Each bonfire has the ability to KINDLE. If you spend a single Humanity to kindle at a bonfire, you will be able to "Increase" your number of Estus Flask, and will allow you to heal more before you run out.

- Reinforcing Estus Flask. This is your friend in this game. Reinforcing Estus Flask will give your Flask a +1 or +2 and so on next to your flask. This effect is PERMANENT throughout every new-game you play and so on, and it will generally just heal you even more. This is partially REQUIRED to stay alive in some boss fights, as having 2,000+ HP will render a REGULAR Estus Flask virtually useless. The only way to reinforce your Estus Flask is to use a Fire-Keeper Soul with the lady on the lower floors of the starting area. There will be a staircase leading down to her, and she will be a speechless woman behind a metal caging. She will reinforce it as long as you have the Fire-Keeper Souls. It is still unclear to me how MUCH you can reinforce them.

- Some weapons have returned. Some haven't. There are a variety of newer and better weapons in the game with endless abilities and possibilities. The same goes for armor, but not ALL armor can be upgraded. Only a small amount of such. Most armor ingame is INCREDIBLY helpful, let alone OP, therefore it's ability to be upgraded was stripped in the beta.

- The upgrading & repairing system have returned. Upgrading can NOW go to +15 instead of the usual +10, and weapons can be given certain elemental traits. SOME of this applies to armor. Unfortunately not all. Armor cannot be elemental either.

- Some weapons posses unique abilities with the RT or R2 button, however this consumes twice or even THREE TIMES the amount of durability. (Drake's Sword fires Shockwave. DragonSlayer Spear fires Lightning Bolt)

- Lightning, Spectral, and Divine are new Elemental traits that you may use to add to your weapons. Lightning eats through armor, Spectral curses the enemy (I think), and Divine has the ability to keep the dead.... DEAD. (like skeletons). Be warned that Lightning will be NERFED in a future patch due to it's intensity of power.

- Making "Boss Weapons" has returned. You may combine the Boss's soul with that of a specific weapon to transform it into a "Boss Weapon" that does a considerable amount of damage, and MAY add elemental damage. They CANNOT however be upgraded.

- Bosses are much harder. They have different strategies than the ones in Demon's Souls, and some even come in packs of 2 or FOUR. Yes, FOUR bosses at once.

- Mini-Bosses now exist. They serve no other purpose than to give you a small challenge before the Boss itself. They may or may not have a health bar, other than the TINY one above their head. Do note that regardless of their stature, they are NOT to be under-estimated.

- Some bosses that MAY have appeared in the first game have made a comeback, but are NO LONGER bosses, or even Mini-Bosses. Phalanx is an example. He can only be found in a secret area. He is not a boss or mini-boss, rather an enemy which is relatively easy to take care of. These references are good for your past experience playing games that give you good or depressing memories.

- It's easy to get lost. Many many levels throughout this game will have areas that branch off into different paths that contain secrets or items. This may divert you from the path leading to the primary boss, and end up getting you lost for a small amount of time. This one mechanic may confuse you into inadvertently entering a MINI-BOSS area that can inadvertently get you killed.

There is MUCH MUCH more in this game aside from the notes I've just listed. It's up to you to venture out and learn the rest. Good Luck!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Humanity

@Tennmuerti said:

@Humanity said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Humanity said:

Except that I'm not saying to to change to a suckier playstyle. Other playstyles are just as viable and as effective. I went through more then half the game in the heaviest armour possible with the best shield. And all those parts that people using light characters bitched about were super easy to me. So yes it's a very viable playstyle for the entire game, more so in fact that a lot of others. There are plenty more setup's that are also very effective.

Well this is getting completely off topic - I was saying the game is less open and thus you're reduced to trying new things in a more linear fashion. You can't make a bee-line for Blighttown in the start of the game unless you get the master key in order to get the gold hemmed robes. You straight out can't go straight to Anor Lando to ascend your weapons. You need to ring the bells and go through half the game in a particular order, and that limits how you play the game AND thats what I meant by saying you have fewer proper options.

If you think Dark Souls is more open then thats a completely different discussion and thats your opinion

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Humanity said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Humanity said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Humanity said:

Well this is getting completely off topic - I was saying the game is less open and thus you're reduced to trying new things in a more linear fashion. You can't make a bee-line for Blighttown in the start of the game unless you get the master key in order to get the gold hemmed robes. You straight out can't go straight to Anor Lando to ascend your weapons. You need to ring the bells and go through half the game in a particular order, and that limits how you play the game AND thats what I meant by saying you have fewer proper options.

If you think Dark Souls is more open then thats a completely different discussion and thats your opinion

You can see how I got my impression of what you were saying, right? I mean that was what was written.

As far as world openes goes, well I think Dark Aouls is more open, because well it's actually a cohesive world, instead of set separated levels, so to me it felt less restrictive. Also same arguments could be made of Demon's souls since you needed to make it through earlier stages of levels before you could attempt ones further down the road, you still needed to go through the game in a particular order. There are some choices (and restrictions) to that order in both games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Humanity

@Tennmuerti said:

@Humanity said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Humanity said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Humanity said:

You can see how I got my impression of what you were saying, right? I mean that was what was written.

As far as world openes goes, well I think Dark Aouls is more open, because well it's actually a cohesive world, instead of set separated levels, so to me it felt less restrictive. Also same arguments could be made of Demon's souls since you needed to make it through earlier stages of levels before you could attempt ones further down the road, you still needed to go through the game in a particular order. There are some choices (and restrictions) to that order in both games.

You got what you wanted to out of what was written and honestly I think you're just trying to prove to me that you're right and I'm wrong. Cohesive doesn't mean more open but whatever man, you obviously have a way different opinion on this than I do and I'm not going to try to prove to you that my point of view is more right than yours.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.