Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Drake ( Dragon) Sword is cheap

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Edin899

I always complain on these boards how hard this game is and how i will return it.

Since i already packed the game in for shipping i wanted to discuss something.

I started my first playthrough as a Knight and killed the first merchant by accident, so by killing the merchant i could get no arrows to get the drake sword.

After i reached level 23 and battled the capra demon a few times i decided to start over,

This time i didn't kill the merchant i got my arrows and the drake sword. And wow...this game went from insane difficulty to very easy.

Now i'm wondering how many guys tell people they suck at the game and to get rid of it, use the dragon sword?

O well monday the game will ship out again, i could have kept it for 2 weeks but let's be honest.....

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Turambar
    @Edin899: The Drake Sword's damage is fixed, and most people will have weapons that out damage it by the sewer area.
    Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Edin899

@Turambar said:

@Edin899: The Drake Sword's damage is fixed, and most people will have weapons that out damage it by the sewer area.

I was playing yesterday with it, pretty sure i was killing bosses in 5 hits. I am just saying alot of people act like they are a master at this game and what not, but they all use the dragon sword.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Another one bites the dust.

I read that the Drake Sword is overpowered as hell early on, so I never bothered with it and kicked ass with my scimitar (+5 now) from start to just before Capra now.
    The game offers a lot of handy items if you pay attention, but your own mistakes can make it a lot harder.

Get the masterkey/residence key.
    Open up the house just past the part where there's two dudes throwing firepots at you from up high.
    Walk it through, open the chest. 3 resins for lightning damage.
    Use it on the gargoyles or the lightning dude past the blacksmith, easy as fuck.

Just don't get cocky and still die...then you're back to the normal whittling down tactic!

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Edin899

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Another one bites the dust. I read that the Drake Sword is overpowered as hell early on, so I never bothered with it and kicked ass with my scimitar (+5 now) from start to just before Capra now. The game offers a lot of handy items if you pay attention, but your own mistakes can make it a lot harder. Get the masterkey/residence key. Open up the house just past the part where there's two dudes throwing firepots at you from up high. Walk it through, open the chest. 3 resins for lightning damage. Use it on the gargoyles or the lightning dude past the blacksmith, easy as fuck. Just don't get cocky and still die...then you're back to the normal whittling down tactic!

I killed the lighting dude easily. For such a hard game the developers make some silly mistakes.

You can just stand behind one of the broken down pilllars he will shoot the pillar and your arrows go above it. So you can just stand there and shoot him till he dies. he doesn't even hit you once.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @Edin899
    Or you can keep moving to this right and attack when he attacks.
    Only his jump attack can take you off guard. 

With that lightning thing you can probably just get through the first parts very fast with a new character if you're keen on progressing.
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Sitoxity

Do you ever not complain?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By AlexW00d

@Edin899 said:

I always complain on these boards

Yup.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By pweidman

Thank you TaliciaDragonsong. I always wondered if that residence key was worth it. I will so be using those resins.

Anyway tc, that Drake sword is nice but it's not good enough after about half way because it doesn't scale with any skill. It can only be upgraded with a Dragonscale which are pretty rare I believe, so it's a temporary weapon is all.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Edin899

@pweidman said:

Thank you TaliciaDragonsong. I always wondered if that residence key was worth it. I will so be using those resins.

Anyway tc, that Drake sword is nice but it's not good enough after about half way because it doesn't scale with any skill. It can only be upgraded with a Dragonscale which are pretty rare I believe, so it's a temporary weapon is all.

Halfway through the game is temporay nowadays?

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thebatmobile

@Sitoxity said:

Do you ever not complain?

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cyraxible

@Edin899: Yes.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Thor_Molecules

I'm looking forward to the day you stop making useless topics for a game you clearly don't like.

Give it a rest. Go play some FIFA or something. The Drake sword is good in the first hours, absolutely, but after the Gargoyles, I switched to a fully upgraded zweihander and winged spear, and never use the Drake sword anymore. The sword doesn't scale with stats either, so it's useless after a short while.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

You have no Idea how big of a noob you are.
    Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Stahlbrand

There is no 'ignore' feature on these boards? Where are the Top Men when we need them.

@Buckfitches: Yo man, Winged and Zwei? What does your stat build look like? Are you not specializing in either STR or DEX? I have a Dex-Knight with the Winged Spear and a Str-Bandit with the Zweihander, but I don't know if I'd build a character that could do both well... Interesting.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Thor_Molecules

@Stahlbrand: I have a pretty balanced character, focusing only on END, STR and DEX. I'm not too hung up on the perfect character build on the first playthrough, so I just put points where I think I need them. So far, it has been working out great. And to my belief, STR and DEX does benefit both weapons, even if they scale differently.

But to be fair, i'm only level 26 right now, so hell, what do I know? :)

I do switch weapons depending on area a lot. Right now I'm really holding on to the Winged Spear + shield in the Forest areas, because I like to keep those Ents at a distance, but I pummeled through many a soldier, dog and thief in the lower Burg with my trusty Zweihander. It's just so satisfying to use.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Stahlbrand

@Buckfitches: Sounds like the blended strategy is working out for you.

I rolled a STR-based alt the other day and decided to focus on the Zwei earlier today (yesterday now?) and was surprised - the pokey, over-investing strikes that I dismissed when playing with the blade at Firelight Shrine turned out to be DEVASTATING in combat. Learning how to leverage the Zweihander's crushing strength while not getting served up for dinner was engrossing.

OTOH, the winged spear and shield is a fantastic combo. I'm thinking of starting over again on my real account so I can play online, and I was planing to rebuild my Dex-Knight Spear Maidien, but today's experiments with risky but crushing two-handed strength manoeuvres has got me double-thinking myself.

I applaud your 'just jump in' approach. I am over-thinking it; worrying about late-game viability when I should just be smashing monsters and demons...

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Edin899

@Stahlbrand said:

There is no 'ignore' feature on these boards? Where are the Top Men when we need them.

@Buckfitches: Yo man, Winged and Zwei? What does your stat build look like? Are you not specializing in either STR or DEX? I have a Dex-Knight with the Winged Spear and a Str-Bandit with the Zweihander, but I don't know if I'd build a character that could do both well... Interesting.

Uh dude i make topics because i can, i want to express my opinion. Nobody is forcing you to click on them.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Jeffsekai

I thought you were taking this game back. Stop bitching about everything.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Edin899 said:

@Stahlbrand said:

Uh dude i make topics because i can, i want to express my opinion. Nobody is forcing you to click on them.

Your topics are shit. You seem like you don't enjoy a challenge. I'm expressing my opinion too.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Popogeejo

@Edin899 said:

I can shit in the street and tell people just to not step in it but that doesn't mean I should. "I can do X so I do" is why there's so much terrible content on the internet. Thank you as always for adding to the heap.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Turambar
    @Edin899 said:

@Turambar said:

I was playing yesterday with it, pretty sure i was killing bosses in 5 hits. I am just saying alot of people act like they are a master at this game and what not, but they all use the dragon sword.

The Drake Sword has 200 physical attack power, but does not increase with your own stats.  By trading in all the moss items to Snuggly, I had enough twinkling titanite to upgrade my astoria straight sword to +4, letting it easily out damage the drake sword before even accounting for how it becomes stronger the more str, dex, and faith I have.  No, I definitely didn't use the drake sword past the moonlight butterfly.

You have absolutely no clue just how much enemy stats begin to scale, do you?
    MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrMuscle

I have my drake sword up to +1 and just got another dragon scale, so ill try getting it to +2-.I have the astoria sword but my faith is to low. and havent run across any other weapons id like to use so ill stick to it for now. Im lvl 34 and drudging my way thru Blight Town.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Turambar
    @Edin899 said:

@pweidman said:

The game consists of two areas for the above ground bell of awakening, and two (longer) areas for the below ground bell of awakening.  By the time you reach the second bell of awakening, the Drake sword will be vastly underpowered if you have been upgrading.  But you  still have Sens Fortress, Anor Londo, the Abyss, Duke's Archive, Crystal Caverns, Tomb of Giants, Catacombs, Demon Ruins, New Londo, the various forest areas.  So no, not nearly halfway through the game.  Do stop talking out of your ass.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Turambar
    @MrMuscle said:
    I have my drake sword up to +1 and just got another dragon scale, so ill try getting it to +2-.I have the astoria sword but my faith is to low. and havent run across any other weapons id like to use so ill stick to it for now. Im lvl 34 and drudging my way thru Blight Town.
    It's really not worth the soul cost, that and dragon scale really should be saved for the dragon covenant.  It's attack power goes up by 20 each upgrade at the cost of 10k souls (I think?), which even at +2 leaves it very weak compared to an upgraded weapon that actually takes advantage of your stats.
    MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MezZa

It's best to avoid the drake sword your first time through the game, but that's just my opinion. It's overpoweredness is going to end in a short amount of time, and when that happens you'll likely be stuck without an upgraded weapon that scales. Not to mention you miss out on learning the game during the easy levels by making them too easy, and then have to deal with even tougher enemies than before. The sword is only good for a way to speed past the earliest part of the game, and should be reserved for just that.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Thor_Molecules

@MrMuscle: You would be wise upgrading a different weapon, the drake sword upgrades are stupidly expensive, and other upgraded weapons will outclass it very soon.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Edin899

@Turambar said:

@Edin899 said:

@pweidman said:

The game consists of two areas for the above ground bell of awakening, and two (longer) areas for the below ground bell of awakening. By the time you reach the second bell of awakening, the Drake sword will be vastly underpowered if you have been upgrading. But you still have Sens Fortress, Anor Londo, the Abyss, Duke's Archive, Crystal Caverns, Tomb of Giants, Catacombs, Demon Ruins, New Londo, the various forest areas. So no, not nearly halfway through the game. Do stop talking out of your ass.

Uh the guy that commented on my post said its good for halfway not me dumbass

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By handlas

meh....i got a sword that was better than it not too long after getting the drake sword. Then i got a spear that was waaay better than both not much longer after that. So, no, havinf that sword didnt really effect my game personally. I find having a proper shield and armor for my play style to be the most important thing. Being able to block and take no damage is important.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#30  Edited By gla55jAw

@MrMuscle said:

All the faith you need for the Astora sword is 14. If you are not at 14, it's strength goes up like 10-15 points per faith point up until 14. Then it gets 1 point per Strength, Faith and (I think) Dex. I upgraded mine to +1 and it now does 205 damage.

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrMuscle
    @Buckfitches said:

@MrMuscle: You would be wise upgrading a different weapon, the drake sword upgrades are stupidly expensive, and other upgraded weapons will outclass it very soon.

@gla55jAw said:

@MrMuscle said:

All the faith you need for the Astora sword is 14. If you are not at 14, it's strength goes up like 10-15 points per faith point up until 14. Then it gets 1 point per Strength, Faith and (I think) Dex. I upgraded mine to +1 and it now does 205 damage.

I got up to 14 faith now and upgraded the Astora to +2 and the status says that it does more dmg than the Drake, but i gotta say it still feels less powerfull when i use it. I guess its because itdoesnt swing on the heavy attack, but ot looks like im still killing stuff faster with the Drake. 
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By McShank

Where do you find the astora sword? I cleared out the forest *Except hydra* and cleared out blight town / swamp.. I have sens fortress, catacombs and londo that i can go to atm but i have yet to find it. Not like i need it since im wielding the black knight halbred but would be nice to have a backup weapon seeing as how the drake sword was only usefull till i have the str to 1hand this beast of a halbred. (32str, 18dex)

Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Hooded

@McShank said:

Where do you find the astora sword?

Drake Vally, near huge dragon hanging onto the cliff.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#34  Edited By gla55jAw

@MrMuscle said:

@Buckfitches said:

@gla55jAw said:

@MrMuscle said:

I got up to 14 faith now and upgraded the Astora to +2 and the status says that it does more dmg than the Drake, but i gotta say it still feels less powerfull when i use it. I guess its because itdoesnt swing on the heavy attack, but ot looks like im still killing stuff faster with the Drake.

You know what, I just actually used it for the first time after upgrading and my Drake still does more damage. Maybe it depends on the enemy. It scales with stats so eventually it will do more.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Joeyoe31

@Edin899 said:

@Turambar said:

He means fixed as in it does a set number of damage forever and it doesn't scale with your level of strength. By the Depths the sword starts to show it's weakness and by Sen's Fortress the thing becomes useless. Lucky for me I had been upgrading my Axe the entire way through the game so by The Depths I had already switched to my Raw Battle Axe.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By huntad

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Edin899 said:

@Stahlbrand said:

Your topics are shit. You seem like you don't enjoy a challenge. I'm expressing my opinion too.

Haha, I like your opinion, sir.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.