Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

How Much Harder Does It Get?

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Pessh

Always had a lingering interest in Demons Souls thanks to my curious Bengali friend, came close but never picked it up after hearing all the horror stories of it's difficulty as I'm a massive pussy. 

Then Dark Souls came out and I finally decided to take the plunge...on a rental. Figured I'd rent it, try it out, and then I'd be able to say; 

• Fuck this game, it's too hard.
    Or

• This is really cool, will pick it up.

Played a week of it now and unfortunately I've come to neither conclusion, if anything I'm at even more of a loss than before. 

On the one hand, I've beaten the following bosses/mini-bosses

• Asylum Demon, Two Dark Knights, and the revived Knight dude in the Undead Asylum (Stray Demon kicked my ass so had to leave him be)
    • Havel, Taurus Demon, a Black Knight, and the Drake on the Bridge in the Undead Burg
    • Another Black Knight, the Metal Boar thing, Tower Knight, a Channeler, Bell Gargoyles in the Parish
    • Some Butchers, Giant Rat, another Channeler, and Gaping Dragon in the Depths
    • Blowdart dudes, Maneater Mildred and Kellog the spiderho in BlightTown
    • Another Black Knight and the Hydra in Darkwood Basin
    • Titanite Demon and the Moonlight Butterfly  in Darkwood Gardens

Did most of it without much trouble, which should be enough to convince me to buy the game but I feel like I cheesed most of it

• Repeatedly plunging attacked the Taurus and Capra
    • Summoned NPCs for the Moonlight Butterfly, Gargoyles, Spiderho and Gaping Dragon
    • Fireballed the Giantrat from above where it couldn't touch me
    • Drake somehow glitched to death when I killed the three (all in one swing) dudes at the top of stairs after you cross the bridge just after the Burg bonfire
    • Stood on the stairs where I couldn't be touched by the Titanite Demon
    • Oh and Drake sword...
    (Think I'm around SL30)

Oh and I'm also playing offline, was at the bonfire above Andre, revived to human so I could summon the sunlight dude to help with the Gargoyles, headed straight to the church, was invaded before I even reached the stairs and promptly killed by a teleporting, backstabbing, untargetable buttmonkey. At that point I decided to make the switch. A lot of the messages were bs anyway, and the ones that were helpful was often advice I was already made aware of through the GB Dark Souls forums, walkthroughs and the like.

Definitely enjoyed my short time with the game but kind of worried that I'll have no chance against the bosses to come when there's no more...'exploits?' (Like I said, massive pussy.) So would like some advice from you guys, how much harder will it get? Should I be alright if I've made it this far or is there a big difficulty spike coming? Is this 'cheesing' just a part of the game and something that won't go away? Do I buy it? Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thanks in advance, Dark Souls community has been pretty great so far, extremely helpful.
    Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I'd say it gets easier as you go on.

Poost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Poost

I'd say all the "exploits" that you listed are very legitimate ways to go about the fights. Summoning phantoms shouldn't even be on that list in my opinion. There is a reason that From has those NPC summons in the game. Basically, I'm saying buy it! You seem to have already invested quite a bit into the game, and you still haven't seem some of the best-designed areas of the game world. You really should play online though. I've been running around as human for most of my new game+ and have yet to be invaded a single time. Plus even if you are invaded, those are some of the most exciting moments of the game. You also get the benefit of summoning other players as opposed to the sometimes useless NPCs (they usually are always in full attack mode), seeing ghosts of other players, and having player-made hints all over the world.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

@Pessh said:

Always had a lingering interest in Demons Souls thanks to my curious Bengali friend, came close but never picked it up after hearing all the horror stories of it's difficulty as I'm a massive pussy.

For some odd reason I thought this was hiiiiilarious.

Anyway, the game gets a little harder but it's still very, very manageable. It's inevitable that you're going to die on your first two attempts to read their movements but so far all of the bosses have a viable way of defeating them easily. Except maybe one boss in particular but get online and you should easily get two other phantoms to help you out. Honestly, I thought this game was a lot easier then Demon's Souls was (but then again I've finished that game three times). But judging by your progress you've seem to have played quite a lot. I'd say go for it if you've got money to burn.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Chummy8

@Poost said:

I'd say all the "exploits" that you listed are very legitimate ways to go about the fights. Summoning phantoms shouldn't even be on that list in my opinion. There is a reason that From has those NPC summons in the game. Basically, I'm saying buy it! You seem to have already invested quite a bit into the game, and you still haven't seem some of the best-designed areas of the game world. You really should play online though. I've been running around as human for most of my new game+ and have yet to be invaded a single time. Plus even if you are invaded, those are some of the most exciting moments of the game. You also get the benefit of summoning other players as opposed to the sometimes useless NPCs (they usually are always in full attack mode), seeing ghosts of other players, and having player-made hints all over the world.

See, I know I'm missing out on so much by being offline. At this rate, I'll probably beat the game before I get to go online. How much harder is the game if you never go online?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Its dangerous to go alone... 

If anyone really wants to kno how much I am enjoying this game just check my twitter feed 

This might be my Game of the year. 

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By imsh_pl
    @Pessh said:

• Summoned NPCs for the Moonlight Butterfly, Gargoyles, Spiderho and Gaping Dragon
    • Drake somehow glitched to death when I killed the three (all in one swing) dudes at the top of stairs after you cross the bridge just after the Burg bonfire
    All these little "Exploits" are there for a reason. Phantoms are to be summoned and help during boss battles (remember you get less souls), you could plunge taurus and capra to compensate for the limited space you have while fighting them, easy rat kill was a reward for finding the secret path, and the titanite demon was pretty easy either way.

Drake sword is ok but it can only get you so far, as for the glitches... oh well. This game has its bugs.

Never ever feel like you're cheating the game, you're just using the environment to your advantage. This isn't a game where people will try to despise you because you didn't play the game "the hard way".
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @imsh_pl said:
    @Pessh said:

All these little "Exploits" are there for a reason. Phantoms are to be summoned and help during boss battles (remember you get less souls), you could plunge taurus and capra to compensate for the limited space you have while fighting them, easy rat kill was a reward for finding the secret path, and the titanite demon was pretty easy either way.  Drake sword is ok but it can only get you so far, as for the glitches... oh well. This game has its bugs.  Never ever feel like you're cheating the game, you're just using the environment to your advantage. This isn't a game where people will try to despise you because you didn't play the game "the hard way".
    I killed Capera by my self. So proud! 
    Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Branwulf

I'd say that the game doesn't so much get easier, but you get better, it's all about you and how skillful you are in Dark Souls, i've beaten the game at level 1 as a Pyro, i found it far easier than on my first playthrough where i ended up in the 80s, i think that most of the hard parts are getting to the bosses in the first place and the environments anyway.

Also the Drake sword won't get you much further, investing in an upgraded regualer weapon once you have the large ember from the Depths is better in my opinion.

Poost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Poost

@TekZero said:

@Poost said:

See, I know I'm missing out on so much by being offline. At this rate, I'll probably beat the game before I get to go online. How much harder is the game if you never go online?

I don't think the game will be much harder playing offline, as long as you manage to meet the criteria to summon some of the later helper NPC phantoms. There are a few bosses that take some luck and a lot of patience if you are the only one in the room. That being said, I think you can only really get the full experience if you go online.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pessh
    @Poost: @Branwulf: @imsh_pl: @eroticfishcake: Thanks lads, went and gave Sens Fortress a go after I made this and really enjoyed it, got to the bonfire without too much trouble, will try the boss tomorrow, lightning spear is dope, guess I'll buying Dark Souls.

@Roflwaffles said:

That's what she said.

Bravo.
    Avatar image for kyokushin_nanaya
    kyokushin_nanaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kyokushin_nanaya

Having bought it I might be under confirmation bias, but if I were to compare the value of Dark Souls compared to my previous purchases of equivalent monetary value, I would say that Dark Souls provides no other experience throughout my collection. Dark Souls is worth purchasing for the hours that it provides. However, it is more so valuable for the emotional highs and lows throughout. This level of engagement is what solidates my purchase.

I played Deus Ex HR and was left quite impressed, but no other game this year has made me planned my next venture in the world of Lordran despite the dangers contained. The game does get slightly harder and at times, seemingly unfair. If you're concerned by the multiplayer aspect turning off in years to come, no doubt you have tasted the sheer depth of the Dark Souls community. Then it should be no surprise to you that Demon Souls' servers are still online with shadows running back and forth from their latest ventures and deaths.

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By McQuinn

@Pessh: Hmm I found the first playthrough kinda difficult in some parts. Especially since I played offline mostly and I didn't look up any help online. I would think everybody get's stuck at one point or another.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Grillbar

the only boss i had problems with was the one for the second bell. ended up using 8 or 10 humanety just to complete it.

use one

reverse hollowing

summon 2 people

go to town

just as i allmost had her i got 1shot by her

try again

the last 4 major bosses are really easy unless its your 2nd playthough

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pessh
    @Grillbar: Second bell as in weird spider lady? If so that's pretty comforting as I did her and the swamp first attempt
    senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@BulletproofMonk said:

I'd say it gets easier as you go on.

Agreed. The game is hard yes, But once you get a good grip on everything and know what your doing, make a good sword and learn some spells it because very do-able. Still has its moments where its hard though. But that can always be fixed with Wikis or summoning phantoms into your game.

I havn't come across any parts that have felt impossible, you just need to know what your doing, and that may take awhile. But once your hooked theres no turning back you won't want to stop.

You will still die plenty. But its part of the game. Trial and error.

EDIT: Key on making your own weapon. Thats one of the most important parts is getting good equipment

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By McQuinn

The best strategy is usually be as close to the enemy as possible.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By Yummylee

@McQuinn said:

The best strategy is usually be as close to the enemy as possible.

Indeedly. Sooo many bosses were a pile of piss once I'd head in close, circle strafe waiting for any opening, then attacking; rinse & repeat. As a matter of fact, the Tower Knight you're coming up to in Sen's Fortress was a fucking disgrace when I applied that tactic. Never hit me once because of his easy to read attacks and he went down surprisingly quickly, too.

Honestly a lot of the bosses have proven to be the easiest parts of the game ironically enough.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mmmslash

Honestly, in my opinion, the game doesn't even really START until after the second bell is rung. Sen's Fortress is the start of any real difficulty, honestly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.