Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

In a dilemma..

SaNdMuNkEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SaNdMuNkEy

Really need some help making a decision...

I've rung the second bell and beaten Ceaseless Discharge, thought I'd try Sen's fortress but got annihilated by the lizard-men. Then tried the catacombs, beat Pinwheel (the music for the fight is awesome), reached the Tomb of Giants and thought fuck this place.

So which one would I be best off struggling through?

P.S any weapon recommendations, I used a divine winged spear for the catacombs but it's getting pretty useless

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By benjaebe

You really have to do Sen's fortress. I know you don't want to, but you really have to. The rest of the game won't really even open up until you do.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By gla55jAw

@SaNdMuNkEy said:

I've rung the second bell and beaten Ceaseless Discharge, thought I'd try Sen's fortress but got annihilated by the lizard-men. Then tried the catacombs, beat Pinwheel (the music for the fight is awesome), reached the Tomb of Giants and thought fuck this place.

P.S any weapon recommendations, I used a divine winged spear for the catacombs but it's getting pretty useless

Sen's Fortress is the way. What's your level, stats and play style?

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Barrabas

You should be going through Sen's Fortress at this point. That's the area which is intended next for you. I believe the Tomb of Giants is a late game area. I made the same mistake of going there after ringing the 2nd bell and it didn't end well at all.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By jozzy

Sen's fortress is really the way to go. Those lizard-men are not that hard if you fight them one on one, how many hits does it take you to kill them? If you are clever with that trap at the entrance you can make it kill one of the lizards. I think even both of them but I couldn'tget that to work.

You can get the lightning spear in the fortress which is a very nice weapon, so try to get there. There is not that much fighting in this zone, it's mostly evading contraptions that are trying to murder you.

SaNdMuNkEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SaNdMuNkEy

@gla55jAw: Lvl 40, 20 str, 19 dxt and the rest are in endurance and vitality. I quite enjoy using polearms but I think they might be limiting me due to the high stamina drain from attacks.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Goboard

As everyone else has been saying, go to Sen's Fortress. It isn't that difficult once you start taking an even more methodical pace then you normally would through other sections of the game. Single out the enemies makes those snake guys seem like nothing. When you get to the top of the fortress make sure you collect the cell key so you can easily get from the top to the bottom using the cages rather than running up and down each time you go there. Before facing the Iron Golem make sure you get Tarkus and have tarkus kill the guy that throws the giant fire bombs.

I found Sen's Fortress to be pretty tough as well, but once I slowed down, upgraded my weapon (Maneater Snake Greatsword+7) I was able to blow through it with ease.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By gla55jAw

@SaNdMuNkEy said:

@gla55jAw: Lvl 40, 20 str, 19 dxt and the rest are in endurance and vitality. I quite enjoy using polearms but I think they might be limiting me due to the high stamina drain from attacks.

It might be a little rough, but that's the way to go. I went in there around level 70-80 and it was still hard, especially the Titanite Demon's that are on the ground if you fall.

I say level up a little bit and choose between STR and DEX, and start throwing your points into there, Or if you want to just go in, keep making your way through until you start memorizing the layout. It's not that bad once you go through a few times. Just keep in mind there are Lizard men with swords, magic and Black Knights in the fortress. And if you fall off there are 4 Titanite Demon's and your mobility is lowered.

SaNdMuNkEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SaNdMuNkEy

Thanks for the help everyone! Going to Sen's fortress now, wish me luck.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Akeldama

@SaNdMuNkEy said:

I don't know how deep into the Tomb you got, but that place is certainly not meant for you. Go grind a little bit and take on Sen's Fortress.

SaNdMuNkEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SaNdMuNkEy

@Akeldama: Haha, I didn't make it far at all, with the catacombs being so easy it seemed like logical progression but obviously not

TeamJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TeamJersey

You can make it through a lot of Sen's Fortress without fighting anyone. Just watch out for the blade pendulums.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Akeldama

@SaNdMuNkEy said:

@Akeldama: Haha, I didn't make it far at all, with the catacombs being so easy it seemed like logical progression but obviously not

I made the same mistake. I blindly ran past several of the skeleton giants, lit the bonfire, discovered a creature of unspeakable horror (en masse) and could not find a way out that would leave me not murdered instantly.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By TheHT

The snake dudes can easily be circled around for a backstab that makes short work of them. At the entrance you can lure one into the trap or to just fight one on one. Just remember to look at the ground for any raised panels and avoid them if you can. Traps can really fuck you up there.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nadril

I got up to the boss in anor londo by level 40 on my 2nd character, the area isn't too difficult. (went through most of sens @35 or so)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TobbRobb

At that point I screwed around and took down smaller bosses, like Hydra or Butterfly. Then went on to Sen's. Which is a bit of a difficulty spike even though the boss i pathetic. So if you think it's too hard, just do some side stuff first.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rave

I lvled my halbred to a +10 which gives it 220 damage which made it stronger then my drake sword and used it to get to the lightning spear. After getting the spear the whole area became pretty easy. I think I was lvl 37 when I beat it.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FateOfNever

The snake guys get a lot easier once you find the lightning spear in Sen's Fortress. Then again, a lot of things get a lot easier once you get the lightning spear.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By bkbroiler

I still haven't gone in the catacombs because the exploding pink demon heads or whatever scare me too much. :(

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

@jozzy said:

Sen's fortress is really the way to go. Those lizard-men are not that hard if you fight them one on one, how many hits does it take you to kill them? If you are clever with that trap at the entrance you can make it kill one of the lizards. I think even both of them but I couldn'tget that to work.

You can get the lightning spear in the fortress which is a very nice weapon, so try to get there. There is not that much fighting in this zone, it's mostly evading contraptions that are trying to murder you.

This. I started Sen's yesterday and got dominated by the lizardmen. Three or so +2 estus flasks to kill the first two dudes... but you just have to go rambo and find the lightining spear. It dominates. With it, it took me about an hour and a half to finish Sen's + the boss

SaNdMuNkEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SaNdMuNkEy

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really don't know why I struggled at first because I managed to go through it without a problem when I tried it again.

The Painted world of Ariamis is a nightmare though, I didn't realise that you haev to fight to the end to get out.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Sessh

It's really not that difficult, just watch out for the crow-things. Fighting two or three of them at once can be tough.

Also you don't have to fight either of the bosses to get out, but the dragon can easily be killed with a bow and pyromancy (chaos fireball or toxic mist) just cripples Priscilla.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.