Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Ninja Gaiden 3?

slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By slantedwindows

saw the quick look and i couldn't help but think that it seemed very similar to dark souls in a lot of ways, but in a much faster, visceral context. you guys thinking about picking this up, or is the apparent lack of depth going to be a deal breaker?

slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By slantedwindows

might be helpful to add that my favorite build for DkS is a DEX build, using bows, katanas and light pyromancy.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

Uh, Ninja Gaiden is nothing like Dark Souls. One is a RPG the other an action game....

OhdK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OhdK2

I suppose they do share a lot of mechanical similarities, but the pace and flow of the combat are very different.

I can only speculate as to the feel of NG3's combat, but having played a lot of 1 & 2 my guess is that you'll need to be moving a lot more, jumping around and zig-zagging to avoid enemy fire. The NG series has always had a pretty functional auto-targeting system, as opposed to Dark Souls, where often you're swinging without time to target. The NG series also lacks an endurance bar and blocking is almost unbreakable, meaning that there is a much faster ebb and flow in the action.

In a word I would say that NG has a tighter feel for combat that is more forgiving in terms of positioning and placement, and funnels you more clearly to damage-dealing. DS does have a very precise combat system, but it relies entirely on your movements and execution to pull it off exactly.

Does that help?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

No. I think the only thing you really have anything going here, is that the original Ninja Gaiden on Xbox was known at the time for being hard, and Dark Souls and Demons Souls is as well. Other than that, you can compare a lot of games to the another so it applies to all. I think this Ninja Gaiden game coming out looks like it's abandoning the difficulty and trying to bring in more audience, making even less comparisons, and only a few that don't matter, like it being a game where some guy has a sword and the camera's third person.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp

No...

If you want to look for that same precision gameplay go with Ninja Gaiden Black.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Deranged

Ninja Gaiden 3 is destined to fail because it lost it's vision/goal. It was meant to be one of the most gruelling and challenging games on the market, but this one seems to fail in doing so.

Hence why I'm avoiding it.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blueduck

Yeah. While I was playing DS i was saying the same thing. It's just like NG2 only way more slow and in my opinion easier and more boring.

Razmataz650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Razmataz650

I think my experience with NG kind of screwed me up when I first played DS. I kept trying to roll away from everything and when I saw an opening I would wail on the attack button. Works for NG, but having to deal with stamina in DS makes the gameplay much different. There's a lot more patience and timing in DS and it took me awhile to break out of the habits I had formed with NG. NG is more about getting into the zone and attacking enemies before they attack you.

That said, NG was my favorite game during that generation of consoles. Dark souls is my favorite this generation...so I guess they are similar.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By jimi

DS is way more of an rpg. The parallels are only in the difficulty imo, NG focuses on tight controls and fast combat whereas DS focuses on equipment, stats and having a more methodical pace.

To me that would be like comparing rainbow 6 to quake. They have similarities but are completely different games.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Akeldama

What the fuck are you even talking about? ZOMFG MARIO AND GTA4 ARE BASICALLY THE SAME GAME CUZ YOU CAN LIKE JUMP AND STUFF

slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By slantedwindows

@Akeldama said:

What the fuck are you even talking about? ZOMFG MARIO AND GTA4 ARE BASICALLY THE SAME GAME CUZ YOU CAN LIKE JUMP AND STUFF

herp derp...

no, clown. they're both third person games that relies on almost the same mechanics - swordplay, magic, quick maneuvering - to fight hoards of enemies and fight impossibly large bosses. most of the gameplay is nuanced in how the combat is managed, and isn't button-mashing (ie devil may cry). as said in the original post (which i assume you didn't read because you are practically illiterate...) the only major difference is the speed of gameplay and the place where the fights take place.

and as i've stated, i play as a dex character, so dodging and maneuvering a lot is already a part of what i do in DkS. swords, bows, some pyromancy - that sounds like NG to me... sorry for not making the parallels painfully obvious so you could understand. will use smaller words next time.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@OhdK2 said:

In a word I would say that NG has a tighter feel for combat that is more forgiving in terms of positioning and placement, and funnels you more clearly to damage-dealing. DS does have a very precise combat system, but it relies entirely on your movements and execution to pull it off exactly.

Ninja Gaiden is not forgiving in your position and placement... maybe on easy and normal

@mcderby4 said:

Ninja Gaiden 3 is destined to fail because it lost it's vision/goal. It was meant to be one of the most gruelling and challenging games on the market, but this one seems to fail in doing so.

Hence why I'm avoiding it.

the "claim" is that they have the hero mode for newcomers and that the game will keeps its difficulty in the other modes. Hopefully the first ninja kills me on master and shows me they are right.

But comparing these two games is pointless. The combat system is too different. But ya if you enjoying blocking. countering, and dodging a lot give it a try.

I'd pick up sigma but they made that game easier.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By laserbolts

How can you compare the two? They are completely different.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Akeldama

@slantedwindows: Hearing Jeff say repeatedly "not much finesse required" "Combat is easy as hell" "I barely have to pay attention to whats going on so the game can use its stupid dramatic camera angles" Etc.

Sounds like Dark Souls to me!

Roye777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Roye777

@mcderby4: You don't have to play on hand-holding mode. They've just introduced that, because they wanted to expand their market. As far as I've read you can still play it on balls to the walls mode.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By benspyda

No I don't see it at all. Like others have said I could probably see similarities between Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden Black but definitely not 3.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Hmm that's a bit of a stretch. Those two series are pretty different aside from both being difficult.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Deranged

@Roye777 said:

@mcderby4: You don't have to play on hand-holding mode. They've just introduced that, because they wanted to expand their market. As far as I've read you can still play it on balls to the walls mode.

I guess... does that also apply to bringing back the gore?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.