Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

strategy for reaching large fire ember (without ranged)?

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mason

I'm trying my darnedest to reach the large fire ember in Demon Ruins, but those burrowing rockworms continually block the path. I can 2 shot the Taurus Demons easily enough, the Capra Demons are no big deal, but these rockworms keep getting me with their grab move and eating me (insta-death).

They have no defence against ranged, but I'm too low on arrows to kill all of the ones in the way. Besides, with my low dex, it would take hundreds of arrows which I'd rather not do.

Besides, I feel like nearly all enemies should have a way to defeat using melee. Does anyone have a good melee strategy for dealing with these guys?

The grab move has proven unavoidable so far, but maybe I'm just too encumbered by armor.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

Poison them one at a time and wait it out.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By imsh_pl

If I remember correctly I triggered the worms descending from the ceiling, then immediately started attacking one of them and rolled out of the trap asap. Once you're behind them you shouldn't really have a problem killing them, their attacks are not that fast.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TerraMantis

Just sprint past them. They don't attack or hurt you until several seconds after their immersion animation from the ground/ceiling. Then after getting the chest with the ember just attack them from behind. Also, basically anything you think is a hard hitting enemy can be wasted with an Iron Flesh spell. Those worms barely do any damage with that spell active, even when they get you with their grab attack. I did it without Iron Flesh on my first play through with a +10 Divine Greataxe and the strong jump attack. The ol' in an' out.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Darkstar614

I seem to recall just rolling past them somehow after sprinting past everything, grabbing them ember and just using a homeward bone. I'm not exactly sure how it happened as i think they are supposed to completely hinder you from moving past until you kill one, but something is definitely possible.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mason

Thanks, I think all of these strategies could work for me.

I did get surrounded by the 4 rockworms and was able to run back and escape without having to kill one to create an opening. So I know escaping is possible. Killing those 2 from behind was simple enough. But I would get killed by the other two facing me. Guess I could just try running past those ones too (once they finish an attack animation).

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sixghost

If that grab move is an insta-kill, your VIT or armor might be too low for that point in the game. I just did this last night and the grab move was doing maybe 1/3 of my healthbar, but I have quite a bit invested in my armor and VIT. Just attack them once, immediately dodge back, then hit them again when they crash into the ground after failing to grab you. Just don't get greedy or they will kill you for sure.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aetheldod

@mason: What? those worms are stupid..... you are can always be far away from their attack range , the best strategy to ill them would be to hit them once or twice , they begin their animation so you just walk back and away from it , attack animation ends , you hit it again , rinse repeat.

Lancezh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Lancezh

I killed them with a long range melee by luring them into trying to grab me, roll back. Hit, rinse repeat. Worked pretty well if i recall right.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Turambar
    @mason: Just sprint past them.  Yes, it's that easy.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Marz

I used a demon spear to kill them.   It has enough reach to tag them without them getting angry at you.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gerrid

You can sprint past them and destroy them from behind. Do you have the Dragon Great Sword? The one you get from cutting off the ash lake dragon's tail? It's R2 double handed attack is a ranged thing. Or the Drake Sword 2h R2 also is a ranged attack. You have options!

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Karkarov

All this advice is great but have you tried doing something really crazy like.... going back to a merchant and buying more arrows?

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ProfessorK

A spear and the blocking poke while just out of attack range will work wonders. Just don't back into the ones behind you and this should take them down.

kyteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kyteki

I used a claymore. The R2 thrust attack could be done from a safe distance and then I could roll out before any attacks got to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Run like fuck and then run back like fuck

Bowlisimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bowlisimo

@Marz said:

I used a demon spear to kill them. It has enough reach to tag them without them getting angry at you.

I can vouch for this, used the same approach.

mitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By mitter

Been stuck there a couple of hours ago and all I did was just to keep standing there and then try to get behind them. Just don't panic (which I did the first time and that got me killed) since they don't do much if you're standing right in the middle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.