Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit Dead Space. The no-longer-silent Isaac Clarke finds himself trapped on a city-sized space station called the Sprawl, which has been overtaken by another Necromorph infestation.

First one was better(spoilers)

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By nohthink

I will spoil this game. If you don't wanna know the ending, please go to other posts.

I did not hate the second one. In fact, I think it is still a great game. It deserves all the all high reviews from all the websites, IF you think about the pure gameplay perspective. It just plays better than the first one. Melee is less clunky(but it's slightly more useful really), there is less mid game loading, everything moves very smoothly to the next transition and the story was..... okay(I hated the Nicole sequence but that's just me). And hey, New Game+! That is a great addition! 

The biggest problem that I had with the game, however, was that there was no boss fight. The first game had huge boss fights! Giant space anus thingy and the final tentacle boss! They were good! In the second one, you fight with Nicole at the end. Come on.... And that is the ONLY boss fight. Come on... Really? And throwing a whole bunch of adolescent necromorphs? Really? That's just cheap and, I would argue, a lazy design. I was pretty angry about that. With an improved zero gravity control, they could made a crazy boss fight but no, they did not.... It was a huge disappointment. 

Also, I have to say I did not find any improvements in the weapon section. Despite the fact there were some good number of new weapons, they were useless. Javelin gun was just bad and a sniper rifle? Really? Totally useless. I believe there is one achievement for using a sniper rifle and that is to kill ONE necromorph. They knew the gun was useless! Or maybe there is another achievement, I do not know but there is not, that is just a terrible design. I ended it up just carrying around plasma cutter, pulse rifle and line gun, which is the exactly same weapon that I used in the first one. I am aware of the fact that you will unlock one ultimate weapon if you play through hardcore or something. But giving you a useful weapon when you play the hardcore mode does not cut out because you will not be playing hardcore mode all the time. It felt like the developers did not put enough thoughts into the weapons. If you want to be different from other third person shooters, that's fine. But give the player something useful! You know what? A shotgun would have been a better addition.
    I may be in the minority for this complain, but I thought the game felt unnecessarily long, especially in the last sequence. I play Mass Effect 2 for 60 hours and I have never felt the game was long. But this game... I just thought it was long, especially when I was playing the Ishmura section. Now, I think it is great that they brought the Ishmura back and make you go through as a fan service. It was definitely good to see it again. But It felt long in the second sequence in Ishmura and from there it started feeling dragging for me. 

I'm gonna play it again just unlock more stuff and what not(the menu changing when you beat the game was definitely a nice touch. Really appreciated that). But I could not help myself but feeling "man... first was one just... better." Then again... I guess "if it ain't broke, don't fix it) principle works here.... What do you guys think? Did you like the second better or the first one?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee
    I totally agree. The first one is significantly superior over everything minus the control.
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

No, just no. From the variety of the locations down to the Necromorphs themselves, there is no way the original is better.  

No Caption Provided

@nohthink said:

The biggest problem that I had with the game, however, was that there was no boss fight. The first game had huge boss fights! Giant space anus thingy and the final tentacle boss! They were good! In the second one, you fight with Nicole at the end. Come on....

The Hive Mind was a giant ball of suck, it was a simple fight and an anti-climax. In the grand scheme of things facing off against Nicole is a big deal within the context of the story, Issac has been struggling to fight with his inner demons since the very beginning and even towards the end when he thinks he has figured everything out his mind again starts to wonder. To be honest how you view it could be entirely dependent on how much you were invested in the story/how you interpreted the events. I said as much in another thread, it seems to split opinion so I guess I can understand where you are coming from even if I don't agree. 

@nohthink said:

Also, I have to say I did not find any improvements in the weapon section. Despite the fact there were some good number of new weapons, they were useless. Javelin gun was just bad and a sniper rifle? Really? Totally useless. I believe there is one achievement for using a sniper rifle and that is to kill ONE necromorph. They knew the gun was useless! Or maybe there is another achievement, I do not know but there is not, that is just a terrible design.   

The weapons are what you make of them, I always stick to the Plasma Cutter in this and the first game but I have seen people devise entirely effective weapons around the different weapons, the hunters for one could be taken out with good placement with the mines, enemies could easily be sniped if you use statis. None of that fits the way I played the game and it doesn't sound like it suited yours either, but just because you don't utilize all the tools at your disposal is not reason to dismiss it completely. 

The point still stands that Issac is an engineer, most of the weapons he uses are a literal example of his ingenuity of getting out of a completely insane scenario; His ability to adapt is what makes his survive.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By big_jon

Disagree.
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By sameeeeam

Have to disagree on this one. I found DS2 superior to the original in almost every single way.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By EpicSteve

I totally agree about the weapons thing. Now, keep in mind I didn't play a significant amount of the original Dead Space. The majority of weapons in the sequel were useless. I do however, not agree about bosses. I don't like that massive bosses have become obligatory objects for the player to triumph over in order to proceed in the game. in most cases these days, bosses are just big-ass things for the player to shoot at.  

There are specific moments in Dead Space 2 that compensate for boss fights which I prefer over shooting at a giant anus. For instance, the segment in which you were upside down fighting waves of necromorphs. Visceral could have easily just had you fall out of a train into some arena-style pit and have you fight a giant dick or something. 

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShaneDev

I like the first game but the second is better. Boss fights are a silly thing in any game and the final boss in the first game was a complete joke it was so easy to beat it all you had to do was side step one way then the other. It may have looked cool but wasn't actually that fun to play. In the second the final boss while also not great and no fun to play but at least had some relevance on the story instead of just being unexplained giant monster. 

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I disagree with you, there is nothing lazy about the level gameplay design or the level design I can tell you that for fact because I started playing the second game right after I finished the first one. I did play mostly with the plasma cutter but not because all the other weapons are useless but because they are much better used in diffrent situations, If you upgrade the javlin Gun it becomes one of the best weapons in the game for crowd control or the chainsaw is small places and in those cases they are much better then trying to kill the necromorphs with the plasma cutter. I regards to the boss battles while they were nice divertions from most of the game they were pretty short and not that exciting and instead of them you get some really amazing set pieces in the Dead Space 2, despite the lack of giant anus monster from outer space. 
    Overall the changes they made make the game move faster and with many more memorable moments.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slaker117

I really like the original Dead Space, and a few have very specific reasons as to why I personally like it more than the sequel, but I think Dead Space 2 is the better game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5619720a117
    deactivated-5e5619720a117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only thing I didn't like about it was how Isaac started joking around like Nathan Drake towards the end.  It seemed like once he got on the big bulldozer thing, every other line of dialogue from him was "Aw, crap."

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I was cool with Isaac's dialogue. It was mostly fitting with the situation. Like him joking to relieve the tension a bit.
    Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Quipido

I liked the firs one better too, mainly because it was opened and therefore felt bigger - DS2 is really a corridor to go thru, DS1 had open ship decs and you could explore some more. Both are great games.

EDIT: Also I agree with you on the bosses, shame there were really no big bosses in DS2. They were more or less replaced with sequences like the train crash or chasing by the tormentor, those were great too.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BoOzak

I felt as though the gameplay and the level design was drasticly suprior in Dead Space 2 (I think most of you have forgotten the backtracking) but the atmosphere in the original was abit more creepy just because you felt more isolated and desperate as apose to DS2 which had Isaac speaking to himself all the time.

The only missed opportunity I felt in DS2 was the lack and general uneffectiveness of the insanity sequences, which more often than not had you speaking to a glowing faced nicole. These encounters were neither scary nor intense. Sure you ocassionaly had an imaginary monster or 2 attack you but these were non-interactive sequences.

A game that did this relatively well was Condemned were you'd sometimes encounter lethal and non-lethal hallucinations that kept you on edge and ready smash anything that moves face in. I just wish Viseral took a page out of Monolith's book and really tried to mess with your head. I know Condemned & Fears sequels were much less scary but in all fairness so are most survival horror sequels, case & point: Dead Space 2. (& RE5 if you even consider that a horror)

EDIT: I just had a scary thought, what if DS3 has a Co-oP campaign *shudders*

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By kraznor

I agree that the original is better, I disagree that the second one is anything special. Beat it, moved on. Won't remember it a month from now. If this wins GOTY anywhere I will lose all respect for that publication.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By OneManX
    @Kraznor said:
    " I agree that the original is better, I disagree that the second one is anything special. Beat it, moved on. Won't remember it a month from now. If this wins GOTY anywhere I will lose all respect for that publication. "
    God forbid people have opinions?
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Vinny_Says

they are equally good?

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kraznor
    @OneManX said:
    " @Kraznor said:
    " I agree that the original is better, I disagree that the second one is anything special. Beat it, moved on. Won't remember it a month from now. If this wins GOTY anywhere I will lose all respect for that publication. "
    God forbid people have opinions? "
    Yeah, and I shared mine. What of it?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The only problem I had with DS2 was that it got kind of drab near the ending, but it all payed off.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Milkman
    @Kraznor said:
    " @OneManX said:
    " @Kraznor said:
    Yeah, and I shared mine. What of it? "
    It's stupid.  

You don't think Dead Space 2 is a great game. That's a fine opinion. 
    If anyone thinks that Dead Space 2 is GOTY, they lose all respect. That's just stupidity. 
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I just went back and played Dead Space 1. Still an amazing game, but you can really see the difference between the two. Everything about 1 is slower and more sluggish. The melee is completely useless in 1, and the fact that I had to go into the menu to heal bugged the shit out of me. These aren't bad things (expect the melee), its just after playing dead Space 2 like three times it just feels so weird. 

Still, both games are amazing.

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Liminality
    @wasteguru said:
    "and the fact that I had to go into the menu to heal bugged the shit out of me. "
    Actually no, you can heal the same way, at least in the PC version.
    Ichorid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Ichorid4

Maybe if we didn't think of them as 'boss fights' but rather just battles with big enemies, the omission does stand out. There are hardly any bigger necromorph forms, let alone many new ones.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kraznor
    @Milkman said:
    " @Kraznor said:
    " @OneManX said:
    " @Kraznor said:
    It's stupid.   You don't think Dead Space 2 is a great game. That's a fine opinion. If anyone thinks that Dead Space 2 is GOTY, they lose all respect. That's just stupidity.  "
    If a publication were to think so highly of a game I have little interest in, clearly they are on a completely different wavelength when it comes to games and I would gain little by continuing to read anything they put out. This is all hypothetical anyway, but I get nervous when people start praising things I view as mediocre at best, shows we aren't really advancing as an industry, just falling back on the same old tropes because that's what sells.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Milkman respect is subjective, just like the rest of his post. Do I really need to tell you this?
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By yinstarrunner

Stupid mobile site won't let me edit. I forgot to put my own opinion in the last post. I think the first game was a better horror game, but still not very good at being scary. The second is a better action game, but still isn't very good at being exciting. That's the way I see it, anyway.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OneManX
    @Kraznor
    @Milkman said:
    " @Kraznor said:
    " @OneManX said:
    " @Kraznor said:
    It's stupid.   You don't think Dead Space 2 is a great game. That's a fine opinion. If anyone thinks that Dead Space 2 is GOTY, they lose all respect. That's just stupidity.  "
    If a publication were to think so highly of a game I have little interest in, clearly they are on a completely different wavelength when it comes to games and I would gain little by continuing to read anything they put out. This is all hypothetical anyway, but I get nervous when people start praising things I view as mediocre at best, shows we aren't really advancing as an industry, just falling back on the same old tropes because that's what sells.
    Ummm that is so dumb. When you have a difference of opinion: it's jet that a difference. Dnt you think you would learn more by reading why they think it's GotY worthy? The only way to advance is to learn what people think and create discussion, just writing someone off because they disagree won't do anything in fact it hurts if you're not gonna help and bring something to the table.

If everyone agreed there wouldn't be all these game websites would there? So come off your high horse and discuss with the rest of us common folk.
    kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kraznor
    @OneManX said:
    " @Kraznor
    @Milkman said:
    " @Kraznor said:
    " @OneManX said:
    " @Kraznor said:
    Ummm that is so dumb. When you have a difference of opinion: it's jet that a difference. Dnt you think you would learn more by reading why they think it's GotY worthy? The only way to advance is to learn what people think and create discussion, just writing someone off because they disagree won't do anything in fact it hurts if you're not gonna help and bring something to the table. If everyone agreed there wouldn't be all these game websites would there? So come off your high horse and discuss with the rest of us common folk. "
    Considering I'm the one with the opposing viewpoint in this equation I find this quite humorous in its hypocrisy. I don't know if you noticed, but EVERYONE loves Dead Space 2 for the same handful of reasons they like every game. Good graphics, good sound, high production values all around and buckets of blood to boot. I'm sick of those being the only criteria of quality being celebrated in gaming and I crave some kind of intelligent discourse on the subject, something I will likely never find from a publication completely enamored with the cheap thrills of Dead Space 2.
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OneManX
    @Kraznor said:
    " @OneManX said:
    " @Kraznor
    @
    Ummm that is so dumb. When you have a difference of opinion: it's jet that a difference. Dnt you think you would learn more by reading why they think it's GotY worthy? The only way to advance is to learn what people think and create discussion, just writing someone off because they disagree won't do anything in fact it hurts if you're not gonna help and bring something to the table. If everyone agreed there wouldn't be all these game websites would there? So come off your high horse and discuss with the rest of us common folk. "
    Considering I'm the one with the opposing viewpoint in this equation I find this quite humorous in its hypocrisy. I don't know if you noticed, but EVERYONE loves Dead Space 2 for the same handful of reasons they like every game. Good graphics, good sound, high production values all around and buckets of blood to boot. I'm sick of those being the only criteria of quality being celebrated in gaming and I crave some kind of intelligent discourse on the subject, something I will likely never find from a publication completely enamored with the cheap thrills of Dead Space 2. "

Before I begin:  Do i think Dead Space 2 is GotY? I think it's a contender, I would like to wait for the year to finish before I decide so. 

Okay for your post: It went from dumb.. to BORDERLINE retarded. 

You are thinking like you are the smartest guy in the room, because you have a difference of opinion,  you're not taking yourself out of the discussion because your opinion is different, you're taking yourself out because you're being an asshole about it.  There are ways to push a discussion, but acting like a complete D-bag is the worst way you can do so. 

Also  
    good graphics, good sound, high production values all around and buckets of blood to boot.  

Way to just gloss over the tight and fun gameplay and the good multiplayer (it's not breaking down walls, but it's still fun to play) Way to ignore the parts that make Dead Space 2 great.
    kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kraznor
    @OneManX said:
    " @Kraznor said:
    " @OneManX said:
    " @Kraznor
    @
    Considering I'm the one with the opposing viewpoint in this equation I find this quite humorous in its hypocrisy. I don't know if you noticed, but EVERYONE loves Dead Space 2 for the same handful of reasons they like every game. Good graphics, good sound, high production values all around and buckets of blood to boot. I'm sick of those being the only criteria of quality being celebrated in gaming and I crave some kind of intelligent discourse on the subject, something I will likely never find from a publication completely enamored with the cheap thrills of Dead Space 2. "

Before I begin:  Do i think Dead Space 2 is GotY? I think it's a contender, I would like to wait for the year to finish before I decide so. 

Okay for your post: It went from dumb.. to BORDERLINE retarded. 

You are thinking like you are the smartest guy in the room, because you have a difference of opinion,  you're not taking yourself out of the discussion because your opinion is different, you're taking yourself out because you're being an asshole about it.  There are ways to push a discussion, but acting like a complete D-bag is the worst way you can do so. 

Also  
    good graphics, good sound, high production values all around and buckets of blood to boot.  
     Way to just gloss over the tight and fun gameplay and the good multiplayer (it's not breaking down walls, but it's still fun to play) Way to ignore the parts that make Dead Space 2 great. "
    Childish name-calling. Well done. As to your points, they are based entirely on subjective opinion. Personally, I found the gameplay tedious and not fun at all. Waiting in long elevators to mask loading times, constantly having to drop stuff in order to use a health kit one encounters, the linear nature of it all, recycled environments from the first game. Not fun, in my opinion. You are entitled to yours of course. As for the multiplayer, fair enough I suppose, though its similarities to Singularity and Left 4 Dead are quite pronounced. Pardon my smugness, its simply how I communicate disdain for others. You use words such as "asshole" and "D-bag" so, to each his own.
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OneManX
    @Kraznor: No sir... me using "asshole" and 'D-Bag" describes what you have been posting in this thread, just fine.
    kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kraznor
    @OneManX said:
    " @Kraznor: No sir... me using "asshole" and 'D-Bag" describes what you have been posting in this thread, just fine. "
    Bravo, well, this has devolved to a degree where it no longer serves any purpose. Enjoy your Dead Space 2, I'll continue looking for something I find more rewarding. Adieu.
    korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By korolev

My opinion (which is worthless, which is why it's free): Dead Space 2 had better action, better graphics and more variety, but it wasn't significantly better than dead space 1 in any ground breaking way. It is better, but many people are disappointed that it wasn't mind-blowingly better. But not all sequels have to be. It would have been nice if they had included more monster designs or hell, even a few new tricks (the old - "hey, there's  a necromorph corpse lying on the ground! Guess what it's going to do when you get closer!" trick really doesn't cut it any more, if it ever did).  Dead Space 1 wasn't very scary either, but I feel it was more "survival-horror-y" than Dead Space 2. Dead Space 2 just felt like more of an action game, with its hectic sequences, rocket-boot moments and the "yeah, I've done this before" tone of voice from Isaac. So, even if Dead Space 1 wasn't very scary, Dead Space 2 is even less scary. But that's fine - I wouldn't enjoy a genuinely scary game either (who likes to be scared?)

If I was using the Giant Bomb score, I would give it 4 out of 5. Or maybe 8/10. It's a good game, sure. Is it spell-bindingly awesome? Well, very few games are. Dead Space 2 might not be spell-bindingly awesome, but it is pretty damn good nonetheless. 

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Afroman269

I don't see how the first is better just because the second lacks boss fights. I do agree about the weapon selection in Dead Space 2 being poor. I ended up just using the same ones from the first game. I prefer Dead Space 2 because it controls better and has different environments, unlike Dead Space 1.

ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ZoomyRamen

I thought they were both only ok and can't really see that big fuss about them. Neither are scary, BOTH have issues with guns. Two was better in my opinion but the last few chapters were pretty rushed and dry and also by time I hit chapter I had enough ammo and health to take on a small army of necromorphs without breaking a sweat. Also, the last boss fight was broken, just broken. 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By napalm
    @EpicSteve said:

" I totally agree about the weapons thing. Now, keep in mind I didn't play a significant amount of the original Dead Space. The majority of weapons in the sequel were useless. I do however, not agree about bosses. I don't like that massive bosses have become obligatory objects for the player to triumph over in order to proceed in the game. in most cases these days, bosses are just big-ass things for the player to shoot at.   There are specific moments in Dead Space 2 that compensate for boss fights which I prefer over shooting at a giant anus. For instance, the segment in which you were upside down fighting waves of necromorphs. Visceral could have easily just had you fall out of a train into some arena-style pit and have you fight a giant dick or something.  "

Yes, but the compensation is replaced with Modern Warfare 2 trial and error segments where you have to "guess correctly," so to speak in order to proceed. The entire last level is a trial and error sequence that adds no tension, diversity or complexity to the game. That last level only exists to annoy you and make you replay the sequence(s) one or two times over until you memorize the specific patterns to proceed. 

I'll take boss battles over this kind of repetitious, derivative and lazy, "trial and error, redo until you guess correctly," game design any day of the week. 

@Kraznor: I want to reel you back in here because I want to reignite this discussion as I finished it, and I think we could help support each others views. I understand where you are coming from. As I mentioned before, Dead Space 2 thrives on the trial and error methods of titles such as Modern Warfare 2 to add tension.  I'm very, very aware of modern videogame design, and I know a trope when I see it, and this type of design is definitely a trope. I do think it was lazy to force Isaac back on the Ishimura, and the problems I had with this entire sequence was that you weren't on there to hit this button, and then be gone within fifteen minutes... you were there for at least forty-five minutes to an hour, and forced to go back through these environments in a incredibly contrived ways. Being back on the Ishimura wasn't a bad thing altogether when I first arrived, it only became an issue when they bloated this entire sequence when they could have, and should have cut out a good twenty minute chunk and eliminated some of the areas. 

The part where Dead Space 2 is offensive, is in the very last level, where the contrivances of the level and enemy encounters is so contrived that it is almost embarrassing. It's not so much the enemy spawns are a problem, it is the sheer number of enemy spawns they throw at you to frustrate you, and do little things like purposely block the exit so when you go to run, you fumble because you have to use kinesis to move those items out of the way, and the game has purposely spawned three or four enemies directly behind you when you go to run through that exit.

@OneManX: I don't understand how you think you won anything by throwing insults around. Just because somebody decided to post an opinion that might actually challenge your perceptions of modern videogame design, does not give you the right to hurl insults in a snobby manner.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Shadow

The environments are better and more varied, the story is deeper, the gameplay is improved (although in minor ways), the characters are more fleshed out, it has multiplayer...that's actually good, and it comes with a free copy of Dead Space Extraction (if you own a PS3 and are smart enough to buy the one where you don't have to switch discs).  Even if none of that were true, a single word of dialogue is enough to make Dead Space 2 better than the first game: "...what?"

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shadow
    @wasteguru said:
    " I just went back and played Dead Space 1. Still an amazing game, but you can really see the difference between the two. Everything about 1 is slower and more sluggish. The melee is completely useless in 1, and the fact that I had to go into the menu to heal bugged the shit out of me. These aren't bad things (expect the melee), its just after playing dead Space 2 like three times it just feels so weird.  Still, both games are amazing. "
    The first game had a button you could press at any point to use a health pack.  It's just a different button.
    CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CptChiken

I thought dead space two was better, the atmosphere was also so much better and jumpier. 

chapter 15 RUINED dead space 2 for me. That ubermorph was completely unnessessary.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By XenoNick
    @CptChiken said:
    "  That ubermorph was completely unnessessary. "
    Totally agree with you there. 

I personally think overall DS2 is better by having a varied atmosphere. However I still have a few faults. One being the above mentioned ubermorph forcing you to just leg it during the end of the game.
    - The new weapons felt kinda pointless. I stuck with my DS1 load-out of Plasma cutter, Line gun and Pulse Rifle.
    -In the trailers I got the impression that Issac was almost bat-shit bonkers. I wanted Condemned or F.E.A.R level of freaky things. Not just some spooky voice overs and "MAKE US WHOLE!"
    -Personally for me: The eye poke machine. Wish that was just a cutscene. (I'm squimish with needles and eyes)
    -Revisiting Ishimura... that seemed very underplayed. A few flashback moments but not enough.
    -The final boss. Since Nicole is like a twisted version made up by the marker I would have liked it go have gone all monsterish in the end. (this is mainly due to Resi doing it with all their bosses.)  Issac seing his girlfriend being twisted and morphed into something totally fucked up would really damage him mentally.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Strongly disagree. 
    yindotrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 33

#41  Edited By yindotrunks

I think the new weapons were really powerful and useful, but I think most people just went back to their old favorites and didn't give the new ones a fair shake.  Personally I carried the Detonator with me the whole game and was glad for it.  Also, while not a technically a weapon, I think the buff to TK in this game was really well implemented.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HandsomeDead

I will never understand the love for the first game. Combine the predictability of an episode of CSI with the supergore art design a 15 year old might come up with to be edgy and stick it in a standard third person shooter and you've got the Dead Space experience. Oh, the chapter titles spell out NICOLE IS DEAD and there's a huge and totally unrelated expanded universe? There's true innovation.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

The only thing I think the first game did better was the atmosphere but the second one was close to it.

jakonovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jakonovski

I don't really like bossfights unless they fit seamlessly with the bulk gameplay (eg. Splosion Man and SMB). In DS1 the final battle felt completely detached from the rest of the game, and I just gave up and watched the ending on Youtube. 

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NTM
    @wasteguru said:
    "

I just went back and played Dead Space 1. Still an amazing game, but you can really see the difference between the two. Everything about 1 is slower and more sluggish. The melee is completely useless in 1, and the fact that I had to go into the menu to heal bugged the shit out of me. These aren't bad things (expect the melee), its just after playing dead Space 2 like three times it just feels so weird.  Still, both games are amazing.

"

In the first game, you don't have to go into the menu to heal. You just press square, or X (360) depending on what console you play it on, and whatever key you assign it to.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46  Edited By PerryVandell

I disagree but can see why others might think differently. 

Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hzaife

Dead Space 1 was more frightening i felt, but 2 is more superior tech wise and the story was fucking brilliant..

I was really touched when Issac found peace with Nicole before the drill sequence.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.