Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Destiny 2 gameplay reveal event

• 102 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

[edit] pre-show / reveal event has finished streaming live on Twitch:

https://www.twitch.tv/bungie

------

For those who don't know, Activision is having a big Destiny 2 reveal event on the 18th. Many Destiny streamers and You Tubers have been invited to play the game, so expect a lot of video coming out of the event.

There's a few days before the event takes place, though, so what do you want to see from Destiny 2? Here are some of my thoughts:

- For me, 60fps is a big one.

- I also don't want to see any existing Destiny sub-classes, unless they're massively reworked. I want everything to feel new, not like an expansion. No "legacy" weapons, either. The less this feels like an add-on, the better.

- Use Borderlands 2 as a blue-print, and give me a co-op experience with a lot of actual content. A 25 to 35 hour campaign would be ideal. Borderlands 2 before DLC is about 30 hours.

- No lore outside of the game itself is also important. Going to a website or a phone app to learn more about the Destiny universe was absurd, given how little world-building the original release of Destiny actually did.

- Strikes and raids that adjust to player count would also be great. Even if the best loot is saved for a six person raid, every player should be able to see all of the game that they paid for.

- Loot storage issues should be a thing of the past. The game should be able to recall any item and its stat and perk rolls that you've ever possessed.

- Also, get rid of the stupid currency limits. That should be true for glimmer as much as it should be true for anything else you can acquire. To have players earning currency or items that can't be added to their total is just poor game design.

- Buff and nerf weapons according to their game mode, not across the board. Just because a secondary weapon that quickly regenerates special ammo is overpowered in PVP, that doesn't mean that you also need to nerf its ammo regen in PVE.

- Speaking of PVP, map voting would be nice. And keep skill-based matchmaking to a separate competitive mode.

What do you want to see from Destiny 2?

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AcidBrandon18

I want to see Destiny 2.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Something interesting....? I don't know. Unless they have an amazing single player content, i'm out.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

• Classes
    • Gameplay loop
    • Matchmaking
    • Loot situation
    Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Have a decent variety of missions. No more horde mode shit.

Don't make me have to buy expansion passes every 3 months to play the damn game.

60 fps+ on PC and a GREAT PC port, thanks.

Don't overload on microtransactions. I'll admit to not knowing full well how microtransactions ended up in Destiny 1, but keep them minimum and unobtrusive.

Tell a story.

Be enjoyable both solo and multiplayer. That's hard to do in a looter shooter that basically requires online connectivity, but try and make it happen.

Try and have an open world environment, or at least a good instanced world.

Basically be an enjoyable shooter with loot that tells a story of some kind while being approachable to the consumer without a big time investment.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mtfikhan: i don't think these are ever going to be those kind of games. best you can hope for single player wise is a mostly mindless loot fest while listening to a podcast.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivermetimbers: Microtransactions in Destiny ended up being purely cosmetic stuff. You buy loot boxes like you might in Overwatch or something and you get a chance at whatever items they have in the box. You can get unique armor sets but they all come at low light level and have to be infused and they have random stats and perks, there's some weapon skins and then stuff like emotes and sparrows/ships. Its not super overbearing and in the past they made it so you could get a few for free per week so it wasn't totally insane, but yeah I'd agree with you, I'd like to see them tone it down a bit.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Being unable to matchmake raids kept me from keeping with destiny past the initial release. I just couldn't be bothered to get 5 random people together each time.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

The information I want about Destiny 2 won't be shown in a gameplay reveal, as the basic action of original Destiny was the only thing I liked about it. I need to see proof that Bungie has rehauled its content creation system and that they fixed the myriad of issues that plagued the first game.

So, basically, I won't be convinced until the game is out and I hear overall impressions of it from the greater public.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FrodoBaggins

I want what the 1st game should have been.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A game that is fun for solo players including matchmaking for all activities. Greater class variety. Solid performance on PC.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want it to continue to be an MMO, which seems to be exactly what you don't want it to be

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@ajamafalous said:

I want it to continue to be an MMO, which seems to be exactly what you don't want it to be

Just because I want it to be a fully enjoyable single player experience doesn't mean I want to sacrifice any of the experience of playing the game with friends, either. One of my largest complaints early on in the original Destiny release was how cool it would be fighting alongside random players who were pulled into your world, and then you'd just have to watch them disappear once you got to a "mission" area.

Another issue I had with the game is that ONLY raids were playable with six players. If you had even three friends online at the same time, you were stuck playing a raid or PVP. That felt awful after coming from four player co-op literally every other co-op game ever!*

* Literally figuratively. But seriously, Halo, Borderlands, Gears of War, Left for Dead, that one Assassin's Creed game that nobody liked, etc. The last 3 player co-op game I played before Destiny was literally The Secret of Mana on the SNES. Literally literally.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

One thing that I hope they don't change is the feel of the shooting. They had that down pat.

Clan vaults. Let my posse share gear/weapons.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: Neverwinter is a current MMO and the pre-max level dungeons are only 3-player parties!

My 'I want it to be an MMO'-ness is more that I want all the typical MMO trappings that most players who don't play them hated, though. I want instanced, repetitive dungeons, dailies, weeklies, rep grinds, different currencies for each tier of content, an ilvl treadmill, etc. I would consider MMOs one of my favorite genres, but most of the things that people complained about near the launch of Destiny were design decisions that I actively enjoyed, and were mechanics that I could've drawn a line with from Destiny to one or several other MMOs (i.e. this system is like Game X, this one is like Game Y, etc.).

So yeah; one of us is gonna be disappointed. If they turn it into Borderlands/Diablo then I have no real interest in playing it.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@toxin066 said:

One thing that I hope they don't change is the feel of the shooting. They had that down pat.

Clan vaults. Let my posse share gear/weapons.

A full-on clan vault might just lead to lower drop-rates, which would be awful for solo players. A slightly different idea might be in-clan weapon loaning, where a friend could borrow a weapon that would automatically return to your collection once the player logged off. Some sort of weapon sharing would be nice, though. I do agree with that.

@ajamafalous said:

@spaceinsomniac: Neverwinter is a current MMO and the pre-max level dungeons are only 3-player parties!

My 'I want it to be an MMO'-ness is more that I want all the typical MMO trappings that most players who don't play them hated, though. I want instanced, repetitive dungeons, dailies, weeklies, rep grinds, different currencies for each tier of content, an ilvl treadmill, etc. I would consider MMOs one of my favorite genres, but most of the things that people complained about near the launch of Destiny were design decisions that I actively enjoyed, and were mechanics that I could've drawn a line with from Destiny to one or several other MMOs (i.e. this system is like Game X, this one is like Game Y, etc.).

So yeah; one of us is gonna be disappointed. If they turn it into Borderlands/Diablo then I have no real interest in playing it.

I played and enjoyed Neverwinter, but only after I played Destiny, so my point still stands.

I also didn't dislike any of the underlined above about Destiny, so I don't know where you get the idea that one of us is going to be disappointed in the game if it has MMO elements. Bounties and rep grinds into rewards was one of the most addictive parts of Destiny for me. I hope there's more variety to that sort of thing in Destiny 2--especially the patrol objectives--but I don't want any of that removed from the game.

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrPlatitude

I hope it doesn't have the weird "there will be loot" humor from that trailer. The tone of Taken King was perfect, they should continue with that.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Lore. The little lore cards for Destiny 1 are actually pretty cool. Now I want to see them actually integrated into the game.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want what the 1st game should have been.

This is the right answer. I want to see the basics: gameplay loop, classes, loot and how they differ from Destiny 1. More importantly though: I want a glimpse of the scope or a comment on how they are addressing the big content problem they had with the first game. They need more replayable end game content, more reasons to play multiplayer, etc.

MarvinPontiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Better presentation of the content/lore (ie: in the game).
    • Probably will never happen but the ability to drop items for friends.
    • Non-repetitive loot drops on a raid (like if I have it already, I want a better chance to get something else)
    • More variety in bounties / missions. Some random elements would help.
    • Raid matchmaking (I see the 99 logistical problems with this but it's worthy of an experiment. Prob requires mid-raid joining and forced in-game chat to make it not seem like a waste of time.)
    • Open up the world (as long as it doesn't mean there will be hundreds of yahoos jumping around)
    • Infinite vault storage
    • Save / switch loadouts
    • Faster character switching
    • Make vendors matter (they tried with the gunsmith but eh not really)
    • Overall a more organic element to the game. Right now it's very organized to a level where you almost feel like you're playing a flowchart.
    • Shooting is incredible - I'm sure that will stick around.
    49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope they make the game fun and good. I don't know why so many companies choose to make not good games.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#22  Edited By sammo21

quests, hub, example cutscene, and combat. If they want to put another effing book in the game that's fine just let me access it....in the actual effing game.

Oh, I'd also like to know the race I play matters and its not just a wrapper of nothingness. Even if I get exclusive quests, dialogue, or anything...

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

A reason to play the game single-player

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give a good story and for Cthulhu's sake let more than 3 people do shit together.

Removing the storage limits would also be welcome. Fuck limited inventories.

In-game lore would be good. I eventually looked up the wiki for a lot of stuff because I got curious one day.

That being said, if it's just a gameplay reveal that'll limit what they show. Spoilers: I bet they'll shoot aliens in the face.

MFJubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In-game LFG and more mission variety, mostly.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By Hestilllives19

What I want to see from Destiny 2 is a massive list of things, but that gets limited quite a bit for tomorrows reveal event. I think we will see 3 things, a revamp to how Patrols and Strikes/Nightfalls work, and they will show off the new PvP. What I hope to see is an increase across the board of players capacities in activities. Along these lines I hope they talk about a massively revamped matchmaking architecture that hopefully includes Dedicated Servers and IP masking (for those unaware Destiny 1 has one of the highest rates of DDoS attacks in gaming due to its peer to peer connections that allow other players to easily obtain IP information, it's an actual serious problem I hope they resolve in Destiny 2 Polygon, GamesRadar, Personal Experience). In regards to "Patrols", they have already talked about Saturn being a larger play space than Earth, Moon, Venus, Mars, and the Dreadnaught all combined, so I hope we see some of that as well as the revamped architecture that "Patrols" will now use in regards to missions. My hope, and I have a strong feeling it will be true, is that we will no longer see beacons, but rather full on NPC's like they previously existed in the Tower that can give out these new and improved side missions on the fly, similar to the vast majority of other RPG's. Hopefully these small side missions will also be a bit more involved that go kill 5 Fallen of a certain type or 15 enemies like in Destiny 1. I would also like to see 6 player Patrols, or a place for Raid or PvP groups to gather while waiting to tackle those activities. It would also be nice to see a Court of Oryx/Archon's Forge type Public Event activity. Archon's Forge, after many alterations, become a very fun Public event activity, and I'd love to see something similar in Destiny 2. A 6 player Arena Event the size of one of the Challenge of Elders Arenas or slightly larger would be awesome. For the Strikes I hope we see a tight 3 player experience, but they continue to iterate on what they did with the latest rehashes of Strikes (Septiks Perfected, Abomination Heist, and Nexus/Will of Crota/Shadow Thief Revisited). The adding of Raid type mechanics, the best mechanics in Destiny, to Strikes, was a very good idea, as well as having Strikes that have multiple different ways they can play out. I'd like to see each Strike in Destiny 2 have 5 or 6 different alterations (rather than 2 like those did) to them that play out randomly. I'd also like to see a massive overhaul to how Strike playlists modifiers work that will add a lot more variety and fun, and less punishment to those activities. During all of this we will inevitably see a few really important things. How Classes/Weapons/Armor have been adjusted in Destiny 2 is one of the big things we will see tomorrow. I honestly think we will not see any new Subclasses (hopefully at least 2 for each class with completely new Element types, and maybe even a whole new class archetype other than Titan, Warlock, Hunter) tomorrow, as they will be holding those for E3 or latter. What I think we will see, is all 9 current Subclasses (due to lore, it would be pretty crazy to completely abandon them, but it isn't impossible I guess) completely revamped and reworked, with the only real similarities being the names of the Supers (similar functions, with different main perks options), and the Arc, Void, Solar types. For Weapons and Armor, I don't know what to expect, but I'd love to see a complete reworking of how perks are applied to each. How that would work, I don't know, I'm just excited to see what they've come up with, and just hope it's completely different. We do know that SMG's are being added as a Primary Weapon, so that should be interesting. I would like to see, similar to how they added Adept Raid Primaries back with Elemental damage, all Exotic Primaries in Destiny 2 to have an Elemental Damage type. For PvP I desperately hope they have finally started to understand their game better, and Primary TTK is lower than 1.0, especially if we still have access to OHK Specials and Abilities, and extremely fast movement speed ability builds like in Destiny 1. I also hope they embrace the movement speed that developed in Destiny 1 with Bones Control jumping and Titan Control Skating. Those movement abilities should be baked into all of the classes for Destiny 2. Hopefully we also see that they have actually allowed players to you know, actually have Special Ammo. The current state of Destiny's Ammo Economy for PvP is horrible, and I hope they have done an entire 180 on that again by fixing the actual issues instead of trying to avoid them by removing Special Weapons entirely. My hope is that they talk a bit about patch update timing, separation of PvP and PvE, and a few of the other huge maintenance issues from Destiny 1, but I'm not holding my breath they will talk about that stuff at all. Though I know a lot of the attendee's are wanting answers to these same questions so the videos put up by them with interviews after the event should be extremely interesting.

Personally, I am really looking forward to tomorrows reveal.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BoOzak

Dont want:

• Defend Jack/Guilty Spark/Dinklebot while it hacks a door or decodes a computer. That sort of mission design was tiresome in 2001 and it still happens! Have Bungie learned nothing from The Library level in Halo?
    • Tacked on stealth or platforming. Variety is great, but instant death BS related to underdeveloped gameplay mechanics suck in SP games let alone games that you play in a group where everyone has to do it perfectly to move on.
    • Blind boxes/Loot crates. I dont remember the first game having anything like this but I quit around the time they started to introduce microtransactions and from what I hear things have only gotten worse. (Also I feel as if Overwatch's popularity has somehow made this a more acceptable practice in full priced games, and it's the same publisher)
    • Backtracking/Reusing the same enviroments over and over. I'd rather have a shorter game than have to go through the same shit multiple times, that's what the raids/strikes are for.

Do want:

• Interconnected hubs. The first game had too much downtime, traveling back to the tower to accept quests and decode items shouldnt require multiple loading screens. Also I just like villages in games, especially RPGs, it's a good way to build the world and make me feel more attached to the characters. The first game only had one (to begin with) and it was barren and lifeless and reflected the game as a whole. Some upbeat lively areas or dingy dangerous areas would help give the game some personality.
    • Better public events. The Taken King had some of this but it was tied to a room (cant remember the name) and wasnt all that exciting. There were also some bosses but I dont remember them being all that difficult or spectacular.
    • More interesting vehicle sections. The vehicles in Destiny felt like an afterthought and Bungie never really did anything with them aside from that terrible sparrow race thing. If they want to add some variety between the run and gun sections how about they have Halo esque escape sequences or hell even escort missions if done right could be kind of cool. Being able to fly in certain areas would also be nice. (and unexpected)
    • Increased playercount. I know this is probably more of technical thing but Destiny never really felt like an MMO even in the free-roaming areas there wasnt a whole lot going on because everyone was off in a different area of the map. If you want to make a single player game fine, do that. But making an MMO where there's barely any people is a bit odd. Also, yeah having scalable instances for more or less people would be a welcome feature.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For Weapons and Armor, I don't know what to expect, but I'd love to see a complete reworking of how perks are applied to each. How that would work, I don't know, I'm just excited to see what they've come up with, and just hope it's completely different.

I actually had an idea about this. You know how there are only about two or three perks you want in each class on each weapon, and then there are a bunch of mostly garbage perks that you don't want? What if most of those garbage perks are made into weapon attachment perks, and that way you can have both a tier-1 perk on your base weapon, and one or two tier-2 perks for attachments? There are loads of barely useful perks that would make great additional perks, but are horrible main perks.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hestilllives19

@spaceinsomniac: Yeah, some of the guys I play with regularly were talking about this quite a bit. I wouldn't at all be opposed to them switching to an attachment based system for Weapons and Armor. It would be similar to how Weapon Rerolling worked back in House of Wolves but work on the fly. I love the idea of each weapon only coming with what is now Perk 2 and 4 and having Scopes/Barrels be attachments with those middle column tree's as attachments as well. You would no longer have situations were guns were complete trash due to having perfect rolls on those Perk 2/4 slots but useless 1/3 slots. I think having Vendors be on Weekly rotations of armaments like they do now was a great stopgap for the absolute famine of well rolled Legendary weapons currently, but I honestly hope that whatever they do with Destiny 2 pushes that idea further. Having good gear should never be 100% RNG based for Legendary pieces. Putting in 1,000's of hours and constantly keeping track of vendor sales should be rewarding in it's own right for that Meta game that developed at the top end of the Destiny experience once all players hit level cap and have completed all of the in game activities. I do hope they get rid of 3 of Coins to make Exotic drops exciting again, but improve the drop rates significantly to compensate. Make Xur important again. I loved making sure to visit him in Y1. And continue to make the extremely powerful weapons like Sleeper Simulant, Gjallarhorn, Razelighter/Bolt-Caster/DarkDrinker, Black Spindle, and Touch of Malice be Quest based. But make them extremely complicated to obtain like Outbreak Prime was. That was one of the best Questlines that was ever in Destiny 1. I loved that chase (link if people don't know that story) by the community to figure out how to obtain it, and the fact that it was extremely useful at the time. As long as they aren't timegated activities like Sleeper and Spindle were, as I don't think those were great idea's, just complicated to discover is great.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Well for this gameplay reveal what they won't have is much story, or end game stuff, or any way to see if they'll have enough content at launch to satisfy folks.

What I would like to see is vehicle gameplay, that's the one core thing I was missing in Destiny. Basically all we had was the Sparrow which was really just an interactive loading screen between patrol zones. I want jeeps, tanks, hover crafts, and space fighters. Basically everything Halo has.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By ArtisanBreads

If they can make it feel more like an MMO that is the goal, but I am realistic about it as well. I want deeper progression, more customizable, and bigger battles. Personally I would like to see enough cool choices in the progression that characters end up at different places, if in a similar archetype.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well for this gameplay reveal what they won't have is much story, or end game stuff, or any way to see if they'll have enough content at launch to satisfy folks.

You're probably right and that sucks because the number one issue with Destiny is content. They can overhaul the gameplay loop all they want. It might make for a more enjoyable campaign and a more satisfying progression but these are not the things Destiny fans actually spend more than 5% of their time with. If after a week with the game you're still stuck with a Nightfall equivalent, one raid and standard ass multiplayer, any changes to the rest of the game will be basically irrelevant.

Maybe it's too much to ask for the first gameplay reveal but they need to address this as soon as possible. I don't expect them to show anything concrete on that front but they could at least say something about it. It would show they know what was wrong with Destiny and worked on solutions these last few years.

HotSaucerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For all it's flaws, I had a blast playing Destiny for a couple of months with my old high school friends that are now scattered around the globe. If Destiny 2 has more Halo style levels mixed with more of an MMO feel than the first Destiny, my friends and I will be stoked. Basically I just want it to be what we thought the first one was going to be.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

A plot slightly thicker than single ply toilet paper, less than fifty currencies in the game, and a leveling system that makes a lick of goddamn sense.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I used to have a longer list when I was actively playing, but here's some off the top of my head:

All new enemies. Not just new remixes of older enemies.

new classes

different weapon loadout options than just primary/special/heavy

the ability to actually fly the fucking spaceship that you have

in-game grimoire cards

more, better vehicles (did literally everyone who did this move to 343 or what?)

move from mission, to open-world, to mission without going into orbit and selecting them individually

exotics with the same random perk pool as legendaries (aside from the unique one)

integrate hub areas into combat areas (cross a barrier and you're suddenly in hub-mode, exit it to go into combat mode)

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this will never happen since it will alter how the game plays, but I personally would like an option to play in third person. It's not like there isn't an existing third person model.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ThePanzini

@pyrodactyl said:
    @jaycrockett said:

You're probably right and that sucks because the number one issue with Destiny is content. They can overhaul the gameplay loop all they want. It might make for a more enjoyable campaign and a more satisfying progression but these are not the things Destiny fans actually spend more than 5% of their time with. If after a week with the game you're still stuck with a Nightfall equivalent, one raid and standard ass multiplayer, any changes to the rest of the game will be basically irrelevant.

Maybe it's too much to ask for the first gameplay reveal but they need to address this as soon as possible. I don't expect them to show anything concrete on that front but they could at least say something about it. It would show they know what was wrong with Destiny and worked on solutions these last few years.

Content has never been the real problem with Destiny basically being an MMO-lite players will always be hitting the wall well before the next DLC drop. The main issue is its very repetitive, taking a cue from Warframe/Diablo by having multiple start/finish points a variety of objectives and using themed events like Warframes investations would help alot more than just adding more strikes and campaign missions.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@thepanzini: Destiny was never an MMO anything. As you mention it was more akin to a Diablo than anything else. To compare Destiny, especially launch Destiny, to any MMO is to either greatly exaggerate the limited scope of that game or grossly simplify the definition of an MMO - which primarily deals with content.

What Destiny 2 desperately needs are good writers and character. That first game was a series of pretty levels absolutely bereft of any personality or story. Even if you dig into those cards on the website (to this day such a ridiculous design choice) you quickly realized the writing is vague and shallow. A dark queen from a dark place did a bad thing. Who? Where? What? Everything was shrouded in complete mystery to the point where the lore absolutely lost all meaning. They need to flesh this world out and give people more reason to revisit it than simply purple drops.

In a way that recent trailer is going for that, although now they seem to be taking it a little too far in the other direction with the goofy robot man acting as the Deadpool stand-in. Still, too much character is probably better than too little.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me fly a spaceship! I know they can do it, we've seen it in Halo Reach.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ThePanzini

@humanity: Never called Destiny directly an MMO but it has alot of characteristics of one having RPG progression leveling evolving persistent shared world the only thing its lacking is massive but if the rumors are true with D2 including towns, npc quest givers and more players in free roam with more frequent events that line is blurring, how many people do you need 30, 40, or 50? I've seen alot more people in Destiny than Knights of the Old Republic for example but at this point thats semantics.

D2 doesn't need a great story none of the games it resembles do Borderlands,Warframe, or Diablo its a looter shooter giant grind fest Pokemon with guns. Destiny has an incoherent mess of a story and received middling reviews which didn't stop it selling and certainly didn't stop people playing and buying more content the Taken King shows a passable story is all you need.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepanzini: a good story will keep people invested beyond the loot grind. It certainly won't hurt. It's odd to say that it doesn't need a good story because I think every game deserves to have a good story and it's a real shame when it doesn't have one.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl said:
    @jaycrockett said:

Content has never been the real problem with Destiny basically being an MMO-lite players will always be hitting the wall well before the next DLC drop. The main issue is its very repetitive, taking a cue from Warframe/Diablo by having multiple start/finish points a variety of objectives and using themed events like Warframes investations would help alot more than just adding more strikes and campaign missions.

That's more what I meant. It's not that you run out of new unique stuff to do, it's that the repeating end game activities were very limited in terms of variety. Just adding a good robust and difficult horde mode in there would be great for fixing that problem.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I would love a good story but Destiny popularity is insane, Destiny Tracker nearly one million people still play daily most of them PVE that's DOTA2 numbers last month Destiny peaked at two million. D2 second trailer says everything Cayde-6 can't even remember the name of the Cabal leader and just screams "they'll be a ton of loot" Bungie gets it they know why so many people are still playing.

Wildlands is by far the best-selling game this year with GTA online continues to be scarily successful the zeitgeist atm is co-op shooters with story taking the back seat Destiny 2 is exactly this, its also the reason Destiny 1 was ripped apart and put back together Bungie don't want a substantial story.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepanzini: I mean you're not wrong, at the end of the day good gameplay and a vicious reward loop will defend itself against the most bland story. I suppose it's more wishful thinking on my part that this wasn't really the case.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Man, a lot of things they need to change with Destiny 2, but probably on my short list:

1) Raid Matchmaking OR Better Social Tools - I never raided in Destiny. It wasn't because I didn't want to, it was because I could never find a group. My IRL friends don't game and having to go to some kludgy website to find a group of randos who may or may not be assholes is too much damn work.

The decision to not allow raid matchmaking was really mystifying to me given that the in-game social tools were so poor. I mean, what was the purpose behind clans again? I signed up for the GiantBomb one thinking that would be a ready made community to group up with for raids. Turns out you couldn't even see who in your clan was online. It was a stupid system. Even adding a friend was a convoluted process of remembering the person's GamerTag, going to your console homescreen, going to the Friends menu, sending a friend request, hoping that person gets it, and then having them respond to that request. Other MMOs make adding a friend about a 2-3 step process that takes all of 5 seconds. Destiny's was like pulling teeth.

So they need to either provide Raid matchmaking OR give you better, more meaningful social options in game. Personally I'd like to see both, but I'd take one or the other

2) More and More Varied Content - Whether it was because their underlying tools were too difficult to use or they actually believed they were on the right path, Bungie consistently underestimated how quickly players would chew through new content and as a result you ran out of things to do. Fast. Then all you had to fall back on was mindless horde-mode style missions and "story" content that barely made sense. It was repetitive and boring and made the expansions to the game feel like a ripoff rather than value added. If you look at the model of something like WoW, expansions are an ongoing thing. You buy it initially with a large amount of content, plus the promise of more content over the next several months. It makes the expansion feel substantial.

The expansions of Destiny feel pricey by comparison. It probably looks good if you're coming from something like CoD, but for MMO-ers, you look at the overall package and say "this is not worth what I'm paying."

3) Put The Damn Codex In-Game - Enough said.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

A story that takes advantage of all the cool lore stuff and finds a way to put that front and center.

More ways to connect with people and interact/cooperate without voice chat or having a ready made group of friends to play with. As others have said, the social interaction in-game was almost non-existent and it was too much of a hassle for someone who really enjoyed the game but knew no one in real life who played the game.

More of that slick combat.

And, for me personally, better ways to keep track of tasks and what is relevant to your interests. I barely played The Taken King, which seems like the point at which most people got into the game the most, because I'd spent a couple months away from the game and felt absolutely overwhelmed by everything on offer. I think Patrick wrote about this feeling for Kotaku (or Waypoint?) but has definitely spoken about it with regards to Rise of Iron; I just arrived at that feeling sooner because I played a lot of vanilla Destiny. So much of it that I honestly felt they'd given the user too much to do by the time Taken King released, and by that I mean too many currensies to juggle, items to debate over, bounties that led you in opposite directions, and rewards in modes that felt wholly removed from the rest of the game. The whole thing felt disjointed to me in a way that, repetitiveness be damned, vanilla/House of Wolves era Destiny did not.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Thread title has changed, and a link to the live reveal has been added. The full reveal starts in about 30 minutes from this post.

https://www.twitch.tv/bungie

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's that guy from Fringe!

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer: This is not totally directed at you, but a lot of the comments here have pretty flawed logic because they only played Destiny at launch back in September 2014. I have seen at least 8 other suggestions here for things that have long been fixed in Destiny, as in either during The Taken King or Rise of Iron, or one of the smaller content drops. While I do agree that Clan features need to be more integrated in game than they even are now, as in Leaders being allowed to Create, Invite, Promote, Remove, Name Change, and all of the other website admin tools, and users allowed to accept and join clans in game, Clan lists were added to Destiny 9 months ago. While it should have launched that way, it has been in Destiny for quite some time now. So I guess good news, that shouldn't be an issue with Destiny 2... As far as the rest of the Clan stuff goes I'll be putting up something for Clans when we get closer to launch, but our biggest issue for Clans here at Giantbomb had more to do with how they were setup initially, that nobody understood the system out of the gate well. We created locked Clans, The Lincoln Force group of Clans, and then the player who created them largely disappeared from the community a month after launch which left those Clans dead on arrival. Hopefully Bungie does some serious TLC in that area before Destiny 2, but either way I'll be getting together with some of the other remaining Clan Leaders here at Giantbomb and anyone interested in starting a Giantbomb Clan to organize that stuff a bit better for Destiny 2. Hopefully we will be in better shape here in comparison to where we were at the launch of Destiny come September.

As far as Raid Matchmaking goes, again not directed at you specifically because it's been suggested several times above as well, but I have always disagreed with it's inclusion because it would be extremely detrimental to the very nature of Raids. To be honest the only people who suggest it, are people who have never played or understand Raids in Destiny. Random Matchmaking creates more problems than it solves by placing undue stress on Bungie by having to create 50 different contingencies to what may go wrong, and likely having to dumb down Raids so that groups without communication can tackle them. It's just a bad idea. Now, at the same time, the core problem and the reason people want Raid Matchmaking, bad social integration in an extremely social game, is a real problem. Which is why what needs to happen is an in game LFG feature and like I mentioned earlier better Clan integration in game. Hopefully with Destiny 2 they create a large (ideally 32-64 player area) dedicated Social Space just for in game grouping for specific activities. With this you could have a way to signal the event you are looking to tackle, join parties without leaving that location (currently joining a player already in your location sends you to Orbit and then back into that space), join local chat to discuss said event, and then set off with those party members. So that you would always have groups looking for the same events you are you could set your Event and it would search Public Spaces with open several open Parties also looking for that same Event. The reason I think this type of thing would work better is from personal experience with Destiny. Some of my best Destiny friends are players I have met Randomly from within Destiny itself, and now I regularly play with those players. For example, my main Trials partner, MrRogers327, I met in a Random Iron Banner where we kept destroying each other. So he invited me to a Voice Chat and we played Iron Banner the rest of the night together. I been to the Lighthouse Flawless with Rogers now at least 50, probably closer to 75 times. We've even taken 5 or 6 Lighthouse Virgins there. All because of a random encounter in Iron Banner over 2 years ago. I have at least 10 other friends like that.

The more varied content they have kinda done with their free events during The Taken King and Rise of Iron, but I agree, they need to flesh that stuff out more substatially, and they have already talked about doing that, so hopefully that is in the works. Putting Grim in game, 100% agree.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Fuck yea, that was awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.