Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Does Destiny 2 belong in GOTY 2017 Top Ten?

• 118 results
    Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Fitzgerald

Poll Does Destiny 2 belong in GOTY 2017 Top Ten? (552 votes)

Yes 47%
    No 53%

Just want to take the temperature of the Community on this one.

• 
    Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#51  Edited By Atwa

I don't think so, its painfully similar to the first game.

Yet, it will definitely end up on the top 10, without a doubt.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the time December rolls around it will be surprising to see Destiny 2 remain relevant or memorable enough to sneak into the Giant Bomb top ten. Not this year.

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

GOTY Destiny 2!!!!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aha ha ha haa ha ha aha ha aha aha ha ha

No Caption Provided

destiny fans are just as bad as destiny.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@superprohero: Judging someone's value based on them liking something you don't is super classy.

Also, this seems appropriate.

Loading Video...

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heck, Destiny 1 was a pile of burning trash that managed to be on both the most disappointing games of the year list AND the top ten games of the year list thanks to an excruciating Brad filibuster.

Considering that, sure. Why not? I'm voting no out of optimism, though. It's just more of the same from Destiny 1 with a slightly more coherent, albeit cliché-ridden, campaign and no grimoire cards. *shrug* To each their own skinner box.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
    Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@dgtlty: It will have DLC out by then, which will probably have another raid in it. SO you know Brad is gonna be all up in it, so will Dan, and probably Jeff as well.

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By superprohero

@ll_exile_ll: so if someone says he likes to eat poop, how will you judge them?

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heck, Destiny 1 was a pile of burning trash that managed to be on both the most disappointing games of the year list AND the top ten games of the year list thanks to an excruciating Brad filibuster.

Considering that, sure. Why not? I'm voting no out of optimism, though. It's just more of the same from Destiny 1 with a slightly more coherent, albeit cliché-ridden, campaign and no grimoire cards. *shrug* To each their own skinner box.

I remember it having less to do with Brad filibuster and more with the rest just not caring. Jeff had been hyping me that year for the showdown between him and Brad.
    But when the moment arrived he had no interest in the games fighting for the remaining spots on the list and decided to join Brad on Destiny. Alex was the only one voicing his objection.
    That discussion was a bigger disappointment of the year for me than Destiny and I actually liked that game.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This is a super strong year, but if Brad could force Destiny 1 on the GB top 10, he can surely get Destiny 2, a much more well-liked game by the rest of the crew, on there.

I could even see it making top 5, though top 3 is probably some combination of PUBGs (if it counts), Zelda and Mario Odyssey.

warreng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering it is the best game to have come out this year, I would hope so.

LittleWask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do believe this will find a home in the GB Top Ten, no doubt. They've each put over 50 hours in (hell, probably over 100 hours in) of their own volition, without having it be put upon them (I'm looking at you, Nier). I'm expecting to see it 4-6 range.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Will it make it in the GB top 10, very likely, I'd guess it's middle of the pack, 4-7 range. I think it makes it in my top 10 by default because I haven't played that many good games this year, but I skipped some of the big ones people talk about like PUBG, Zelda BOTW and Mario Odyssey (no Switch), Persona 5, Nioh, and a couple of the other games I honestly haven't even heard of that people have listed. So it will make my 2017 list by default as well, even though I'm extremely dissappointed in it. Which is funny, because it's very much not for the reasons a lot of people here are listing. Destiny 2 is a great game at first glance and for your first 100 hours of Gameplay, and judged by that it deserves top contentions for GOTY awards. But Destiny 2 is an extremely shallow experience, with an End Game that is sorely lacking when compared to Destiny. In an attempt to satisfy a more casual audience Bungie watered down the game too much IMO and left basically nothing to do for players after they put in just over 125 hours. Combine this with a terribly frustrating Crucible that is so watered down all of the fun has been removed, and it's also hard for me to recommend it as someone's go to PvP game like I could for Destiny for most of it's lifetime post House of Wolves. There are a lot of years Destiny 2 wouldn't even make my Top 10 if I'm being honest, but this Year's rather weak catalog (added to my lack of playing some of the heaviest hitters) is going to land it towards the middle of my list.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If destiny makes it in the list, the list is invalid. At LEAST 20 games came out this year better than destiny.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Hestilllives19

@cheetoman: As someone who feels like this is one of the worst years in video game's I can remember, please enlighten me on all of these fabulous video games that have come out this year. Destiny 2 isn't a game I'd expect to see on a top 10 list in a normal year. Even including things like Mass Effect Andromeda (something that will actually outrank Destiny 2 on my personal list) I really don't see 20 games at all this year being in any consideration for top anything. This year has been kind of butts.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny 2 won't be on my list, but I wouldn't be surprised if it falls onto the sites list.

@hestilllives19: Do you live in some bizarre opposite world?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By Onemanarmyy

probably, they like it. And even if they're all done playing for now, once that DLC hits, all staff are going to play that stuff too.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: hi. I know it wasn't me you were asking but to give you some perspective on how somebody might think there are 20 better games than Destiny - I may agree. Here's some I think are/will be better more enjoyable games -

•Zelda

•Mario

•Mario + Rabbids

•Nier

•Nioh

•Horizon

•Call of Duty

•Wolfenstien

•Cuphead

•Uncharted

•Splatoon

•Sonic Mania

•Divinity

•Yakuza

•Pyre

•Persona 5

•Ff14 Stormblood

•Ff12 Remaster

•PoE complete eddition

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazyimperial: Calling Destiny 2 is a Skinner box is incredibly out of touch. The biggest complaints in the community right now is that loot is given too freely making nothing feel special, and the second being that there is no grind to keep players coming back.

Destiny 1 had really moved away from the anti player Skinner box design in the time since vanilla. Destiny 2 doesn't have a hint of those elements. Everything is a participation award (and sometimes not even, more like an association award because people in your clan did something). Nothing about Destiny 2 has the manipulative withhold/reward structure of a Skinner box. It would be better if it had just a pinch of those elements.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: so if someone says he likes to eat poop, how will you judge them?

Since you are clearly the preeminent judge of quality in video games, one so full of wisdom as to discern the very core of someone's value based on which games they enjoy playing, surely you would like to grace us with your doubtlessly insightful and prescient critique of why Destiny is so horrible.

Of course, you've already given us the immaculate wisdom that "liking Destiny is like eating poop," but a mind as superior as yours must be brimming with innumerable thoughtful critiques and analyses of Destiny.

gschmidl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I'm glad to be done with Destiny for now" is a sentence that should automatically disqualify it from any top 10 list.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@superprohero: You can't expect to have a meaningful discussion if you dismiss opinions that don't align with your own. I'm assuming you understand the concept of that, so I'm curious why you chose to comment as if you do not?

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Dray2k

Yes, Destiny 2 belongs to the top 10.

The top 10 of the hottest mess this year.

Well to be fair, this does seem like a great console shooter and it gave us DOG BOTTOM so I'm not so sure to exclude it. As others already stated due to this strong year it may be difficult to include this game as a top 10 GOTY game but who knows.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan will put up a fight.

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll:

i didn't even said that destiny=poop but somehow you came to the same conclusion, may be it is true that Great minds think alike.

I neither have time or interest on writing review on destiny 2 but i will post some points why destiny 2 sucks.

1. Story sucks.

2. Difficulty setting is joke, even sheep’s can clear this game while being blindfolded.

3. Obstacle and traps are just there for show, even 5 year old can clear this shit.

4. Interaction and dialogue exchanges are just bad.

5. AI is just bad.

6. Level up system is retarded, even skill less morons can get over leveled without even trying.

7. Serious lack of enemy type.

8. Expansive maps are there just for show, with very little to no discoveries.

9. Same repetitive shit over and over

10. Does basically nothing new compared to destiny 1

11. Dlc has already been announced no wonder why destiny feel so incomplete

12. My ps4 version is locked on 30fps when every other first person shooter is around 60fps and this game does not even look that great.

13. Random number generator for loots sucks, this is like I am doing some type of gambling shit.

14. 4V4 is simply unacceptable

15. Microtransaction

16. Shader system is crap, one mistake and you are done for, now this explains why they implanted Microtransaction.

There are more but I rather not waste my time on destiny, this game is basically made for sheep’s and only sheep’s can defend this crap.

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@superprohero: You can't expect to have a meaningful discussion if you dismiss opinions that don't align with your own. I'm assuming you understand the concept of that, so I'm curious why you chose to comment as if you do not?

aaaaaaaa, what are you talking about? only thing i said that it is kinda idiotic to say destiny deserve to be game of the year.

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By superprohero

@frodobaggins: you forgot

hollow knight

Gravity Rush 2

Resident Evil 7

Tekken 7

forza 7

and some upcoming games.

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2

THE EVIL WITHIN II

WOLFENSTEIN II: THE NEW COLOSSUS

GRAN TURISMO SPORT

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazyimperial: Calling Destiny 2 is a Skinner box is incredibly out of touch. The biggest complaints in the community right now is that loot is given too freely making nothing feel special, and the second being that there is no grind to keep players coming back.

Destiny 1 had really moved away from the anti player Skinner box design in the time since vanilla. Destiny 2 doesn't have a hint of those elements. Everything is a participation award (and sometimes not even, more like an association award because people in your clan did something). Nothing about Destiny 2 has the manipulative withhold/reward structure of a Skinner box. It would be better if it had just a pinch of those elements.

I wouldn't say "incredibly" out of touch. It's a loot-based game in which the motivation to continue playing post-campaign is to watch your power level slowly creep up as you accumulate incrementally higher level items via RNG drops. That the game, according to your summation, doles out the RNG goodies a bit too generously doesn't mean it isn't a giant skinner box. Rather, it's a giant skinner box that purportedly requires less button presses per food pellet.

That aside, I think my biggest beef with Destiny is that the franchise never has enough content to justify its "MMO-Lite" airs. Destiny 2 has six strikes (5 if you're on the PC or Xbox One) and one raid. That's it. The entire idea of "end-game Destiny 2" is to repeat a paltry amount of things-to-do over and over in the hopes that enough metaphorical "button presses" will drop an incrementally better gun that does the SAME EXACT THING your current gun does, but with a bit more damage per shot. All in the hopes that when the next miniscule gasp of content comes out half a year from now, you'll have the arbitrary power level needed to actually see it.

Sure, WoW is built in a similar item grinding way... but it offers a lot more content, more dungeons, more raids (and an actual looking-for-raid matchmaker and difficulty mode so that everyone can see the bloody raids in one way or the other), and so on. It's a much less anemic experience, so the skinner box core is easier to overlook.

I don't see how it can be overlooked in Destiny, 1 or 2. After 20 hours of Destiny 2, you've seen the campaign, done the normal versions of all the dungeons, run crucible a few times... and now you have to loop through harder versions of all of that to get the chance for better numbers so that you can loop through still harder versions of all of that to get the chance for better numbers so that you can... *sigh*

It's a depressing thing to see Bungie's very competent shooting mechanics latched onto such a bizarre, monotonous, tedious treadmill (which apparently isn't tedious enough for the aficionados, who want worse odds from the house so that their occasional "blackjack!" feels more special). I'd really rather not see it on a top ten of the year gaming list, especially since this year had other much stronger, meatier releases.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On my list? No chance in hell. On Giant Bomb's list? Not a single doubt in my mind.

I'd guess it lands in the 5-8 range. The only things I can absolutely see going above it are Zelda, Mario, Nier, Horizon, and PUBG*. Cuphead and Wolfenstein are possible candidates as well. But those are the only games I can see besting Destiny, so it's absolutely on there.

SgtBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By SgtBlumpkin

Just here to comment that I am offended that Destiny 2 is being referred to as D2. There is only one D2.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Hestilllives19

@frodobaggins: And I would completely agree with someone not having it on their top 10 due to games like Horizon, Zelda, Mario, Shadow of War, Wolfenstien, AC Origins, Lost Legacy, Persona 5, Cuphead, Pyre, Sonic Mania, Nioh, etc. But I think claiming 20 games from this year is a bit of a reach, and forces you to include remakes, DLC's, games that should have no business on a top list of any year (Call of Duty, always a bleh campaign with a reskinned multiplayer and nothing else), and keeping Destiny 2 off that list of 20 forces you to be a bit disingenuous to how good Destiny 2 actually is. If I was to compare Destiny 2 to those games, as the game Bungie apparently wants it to be, that first 100 hours, I think it deserves to very much be in the talks with the best of these games. Nothing this year, IMO, has had as good of an experience as Leviathan, and completing a Prestige Nightfall for the first time. When played with friends, it is the best Co-op experience on the market. And the Patrols are leaps and bounds better than they ever were in Destiny. Destiny 2 also houses 3 of the best missions I've played in a game in a long time, even if the Campaign kind of just fell flat at the end. For Destiny 2, the Cliff you fall off shortly after that 100 hour mark, and especially when compared to it's predecessor Destiny 1 post The Taken King up until D2's launch, that is where Destiny 2 starts to lose it's luster that Destiny never really did.

@mezza: I assume the Mass Effect Andromeda comment is what you were talking about. I actually enjoyed my time with it. Part of it I think comes down to expectations. We knew Andromeda wasn't Edmonton, and it was getting terrible reviews, so my expectations were extremely tempered before it came out. But as someone who played over 2,300 hours of Destiny, my expectations for Destiny 2 couldn't have been higher. Andromeda exceeded those expectations by being a pretty decent but buggy game (which is very sad if compared to any of the original Trilogy but still), and something I felt mildly satisfied with when I finished. Destiny 2 has just fallen off a cliff for me, and I'm feeling it hard right now. Other than hanging out with friends, I have zero incentive to play at all, a feeling which never happened in Destiny, in those 2,300+ hours, and I'm hitting that wall at just 144 hours. The only thing I even have left to do is the Prestige Leviathan that doesn't release until next week, and with the changes to how it works, I don't expect it to be all that challenging (maybe I will be pleasantly surprised). Maybe Curse of Osiris in December (likely when it will drop) will change my mind. Or maybe I'll just focus more on Destiny 2's first 100 hours after taking a break to catch up on other games over the next month or so when I go to actually compile my top 10 list. Since Destiny has always been such an evolving game, maybe they will make some adjustments for the better in the coming months too. But right now, I'm just really not feeling it anymore.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: honestly for me Destiny and Destiny 2 are two of the biggest disappointments in my video game life. Becuase i know what an online, team based, class based, loot driven MMO like futuristic FPS with fucking raids SHOULD and COULD be, none of which D1 or 2 have been or done. As things stand right now, FF14 and it's expansions eat Destinys lunch and then some for ME, even though they are different styles or video game.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By pyrodactyl

@lazyimperial: I totally agree Destiny 2 suffers from a serious content problem. There's just not enough activity and character build variety to support its MMO shooter ambitions. I personally feel like Bungie just gave up on those ambitions a while ago and recentered on the idea Luke Smith brought up around the Taken King launch 2 years ago: "we know people are going to run out of things to do playing our game. They are going to move on and that's ok. We need to make sure they leave with a good feeling instead of the resentment some felt after Destiny 1". Something to that effect. They gave up on the idea of the epic 10 year MMO shooter. They're making a coop loot shooter and just won't admit it in marketing material. They still keep trying to fool people with half baked MMO style limited time events but they're not fooling me. Destiny 2 does not make good on the Destiny 1 promise. It's a refined version of Destiny 1 with more cutscenes.

THAT BEING SAID. You are short changing the game by making it sound like a useless loot threadmill. It's not. I don't play Destiny for the loot. I play Destiny because it's the best playing shooter of all time. It succeed where ALL other loot shooters fail miserably: gameplay. Its "recycled" but harder dungeon content provide some of the most finely tuned and fun shooter challenges available anywhere. Its raids are demanding AND fun to play in a way you can't compare to MMOs where the core gameplay revolves around babysitting cooldowns.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#86  Edited By Zevvion

@pyrodactyl I can't recall Bungie stating Destiny would be an MMO. I've never heard them say it was or they were trying to go that direction. You said it yourself, you don't play Destiny for the loot, you play it for the gunplay and overcoming the various challenges with teammates based on the skill you have (Raids, Nightfalls, Trials).

I'm not trying to argue the game doesn't have issues, but I think the opposite is true: I don't think D2 is refined at all, it isn't streamlined either. It's bare. Which is a different thing entirely. It plays exceptionally well still, but where everything was too convoluted before, it is now too forgiving. You get everything the game offers in terms of maximizing the effectiveness of your character too quick. There are only two solutions: either they need to make rewards more scarce so you have something to chase, or they need to expand the available gear optimizations so you have something to chase.

I would hope everyone votes the latter on that. There should be more to do than 'I reached 300, have appropriate mods in all slots and own the three weapons that make me effective'. That's all there is to it right now. Armor is pointless, weapon mods are pointless, duplicate weapons are pointless, character level is pointless, Power Level is largely pointless, trying to obtain weekly rewards is pointless etc. etc.

Everything is pointless too fast.

@superprohero said:
    @zevvion said:

aaaaaaaa, what are you talking about? only thing i said that it is kinda idiotic to say destiny deserve to be game of the year.

That's the thing I'm talking about. How would it be idiotic if someone enjoyed Destiny 2 the most out of all the games released this year? It's clear you don't feel that way, but why would that mean no one does?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: Oh actually it was more referring to you having a rough time finding good games this year. It was more of a joke comment though, not really meant to criticize your opinion. Also I enjoyed Andromeda for what it was too funny enough.

LittleWask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gschmidl said:

"I'm glad to be done with Destiny for now" is a sentence that should automatically disqualify it from any top 10 list.

Respectfully, I strongly disagree. I think Persona 5 is my favorite game I've played in 2017 thus far. I was extremely glad to be done with it when I put it down. It was a outstanding game, and I loved nearly every moment with it, and I was very ready to be done playing it when I finished.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Lazyimperial

@pyrodactyl: I never knew about that quote from Luke Smith... and I kind of like the sentiment behind it. A Destiny that dropped the MMO stuff and did a Red Dead Redemption / Grand Theft Auto 5 model with a 20-ish hour long shooter-RPG single player campaign and an online co-op feature that wasn't afraid of most players bouncing off it for months at a time would be right up my alley. Heck, they'd probably earn more money to boot; Grand Theft Auto 5 Online is a veritable gold mine for Rockstar. It'd leave the single player blokes with a good taste in their mouth and give the multiplayer peeps plenty of random fun if they wanted it. I'd have bought it. *shrug*

Probably wouldn't be what the existing player-base wants, though. They stuck through the hybrid system and even learned to like it, so I'm sure they'd feel sold out and cheated if it did such an about-face. Star Wars Galaxy and the new combat change all over again.

I'll concede though that I am indeed probably selling the current game short, especially with respect to its current fan-base that learned to live with (and eventually enjoy) the structure of Destiny 1. However, I'm not quite in agreement with the idea that "its raids are demanding AND fun to play in a way you can't compare to MMOs where the core gameplay revolves around babysitting cooldowns." Maybe they're fun for hardcore Destiny players that don't mind watching two hour long youtube strategy videos beforehand that spoil every plot twist and encounter, but they certainly have never looked fun on any of the Giantbomb streams. The last raid on Destiny 1 that they did stretched on for six something hours of horror, and this last one for Destiny 2? DOG BOTTOM. I'd rather get my wisdom teeth re-implanted and pulled anew than spend 16 hours bashing my head against such mind-numbingly awful "fun." SUN MIDDLE. :-P

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezza: Ah, gotcha. I think the biggest thing is most of the "best" games this year are very Japanese or small Indie type games. Typically those aren't games I've even had much interest in (I'm the only GBer in my Clan's Admin group that didn't play Persona 5) so might just be that this year hasn't really had games that suite my taste very well. It also doesn't help that I played a ton of Destiny finishing my entire Age of Triumph book early this year cover to cover, to kind of bookend Destiny for myself. Really, last year didn't seem all that great either, so I missed some of the games I would have otherwised played like Nioh and maybe buying a Switch for Zelda and Mario this year. I will probably end this year having only played Horizon, Lost Legacy, Andromeda, Destiny 2, Shadow of War, Origins, COD WWII, and maybe The Walking Dead A New Frontier and Wolfenstien II: NC (might not play until next year). 2013, 2014, and 2015 were all much better years this generation, IMO. It feels like all of the great games (Revenant Kingdom, Far Cry 5, A Way Out, Anthem, God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, Wolf Among Us 2, Days Gone, and Last of Us 2), are just over the horizon, to be released either next year or beyond.

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@superprohero said:
    @zevvion said:

That's the thing I'm talking about. How would it be idiotic if someone enjoyed Destiny 2 the most out of all the games released this year? It's clear you don't feel that way, but why would that mean no one does?

What does their liking or enjoyment has to do with the game of the year? Just because lot of people consume McDonalds over 5 star meal that does not make McDonald’s better, game of the year is about best of the best, If we start using your logic then every call of duty game deserves to be the game of the year.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I say MMO as a short hand for expanding live online experience. That's what MMO means in 2017. Almost all MMOs coming out today are not massive like WoW or EVE online.

If you use this definition you can say Destiny sold itself as that and fails miserably in that regard. It's a fantastic coop shooter with competitive multiplayer. Its live ever expanding MMOish elements? They're the most half baked and lame parts of the game.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazyimperial: watching average players doing the raid blind might be the worst way to experience it. When we figured out that "dog bottom" encounter it took us 2-3 tries before we beat it. Playing it myself with a group of competent and motivated friends was one of the best gaming experiences I had all year. I know it's not for everyone but I personally think raids are the best part of Destiny. Hell, vanilla Destiny 1 would've been a hot turd without the raid. It's the thing that redeemed the whole experience and saved that game from mediocrity.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By pyrodactyl

@superprohero: expecting GotY to be some sort "impartial" and "neutral" look at which video games were the best this year is so 1998. If you think that's what they do on this website you've not been here for very long.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: I believe you, my friend. Wish there had been a first party, Bungie-sponsored matchmaking service and/or accompanying looking-for-raid difficulty version of such said raids, though... because I didn't have a group of friends playing it like the GB Crew or you do. Between work, college, and my very charming gal, I also never had the kind of reliable schedule that could accommodate a raiding guild and fixed raid nights.

As such, I never got to do them or the nightfalls. What were the defining aspects of the game to you and your squadmates and the "things that redeemed the whole experience and saved that game from mediocrity" were things I never got to experience save via GB streams. Things that, frankly, I also never experienced in other games until they realized the player-base was growing older and changed accordingly (ironically, the best example is World of Warcraft, which built a looking for raid system that meant that everyone could see the raids while the elite WoW-aficionados could still have their phatter lewts and feel elite by doing harder heroic and mythic versions with their buddies).

But Bungie aimed for catering to aficionados entirely and left me with daily heroic strikes and daily hard-mode story missions as my bread and butter, and I happily ditched. Being a second class citizen because I didn't cancel my Friday dinner date with my fiancée or skip an exam's Thursday night study session to shoot a flying space-demon in the face isn't really my thing. *shrug*

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superprohero: expecting GotY to be some sort "impartial" and "neutral" look at which video games were the best this year is so 1998. If you think that's what they do on this website you've not been here for very long.

Yes i am pretty new to this site, i really don't know how you people select game of the year but if it is all based on popularity then it is kinda disappointing. I hope EA and Ubisoft don't dominate the chart.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol no it doesn't deserve to be there but it absolutely will be.

Tomas_Nawar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best 2017 - no doubt

1. Hellblade

2. Prey

3. Dishonored 2

and than Destiny :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superprohero: Game of the year tends to be an argument about what the staff likes the most, and the relative merits of each game they like. Game of the year tends to be either a consensus, or the result of a long, drawn out discussion in which one side gives up. They do not pretend to be impartial since enjoyment of games is subjective. Furthermore, the site top ten is only representational of the staff of the site.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#100  Edited By sammo21

While I think the game is fine (until you get into what is their excuse of an endgame) I personally wouldn't include it. With as strong as the year is I don't even think it will show up in my top 10 of year. Like some others have said I think that Dan will probably fight for it but I don't know that he's going to get any real backing.

@barrock eh, I wouldn't be so sure. Dan is the Destiny 2 fanboy this time around. Brad has been more collected about it in comparison to Destiny 1.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.