Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Detroit: Become Human

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 25, 2018

An interactive drama from the studio behind Heavy Rain, Detroit follows three androids in near-future 2038 as more androids in the city become fully sentient.

Detroit: Become Human - Demo Impressions

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So besides the whole follow-up thing to the toxic work culture case from yesterday, they also put out a demo of this thing. It features the hostage scene shown at E3 two years ago.

I gave it a whirl two times (to see how the situation would branch with different choices) and it certainly seemed like a Quantic Dream game. Making motions with your controller sticks to pick up/operate objects and walking around a whole bunch, whilst talking to people with different dialogue choices and a time limit to pick your choice.

The voice acting didn’t seem that bad and the scene, despite some of it’s tropes like the angry police commander who doesn’t care for some dang android helping them out, felt interesting enough. The multiple ways in how you could approach the situation were kinda cool, but of course it’s a whole other thing if that actually ends up mattering at all by the end.

It looked pretty nice visually, with Pro providing 4K and HDR. Lots of things going on in a relatively small space.

I skipped on Beyond and watched Until Dawn being played by GBeast, so it has been a while since I played a game like this myself. If the reviews are good, I might pick this up.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I enjoyed it, although the subject matter of AI civil rights / revolution has been done to death and has little naunce here. (it is a David Cage game afterall) If the recent West World thread is any indication i'm not the only who feels this way. Although i'm always down for some Quantic Dream crazyness. I generally have a good time with their games in spite of the bad plots. (or sometimes because of them) I just dont know if i'm willing to pay full price for another movie game.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: i think its still fair game for videogames, at least i cant think of many. Mass effect?

I am downloading it and will check it out soon and see for myself.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By odinsmana

@boozak: i think its still fair game for videogames, at least i cant think of many. Mass effect?

I am downloading it and will check it out soon and see for myself.

Fallout 4 also did it (relatively) recently. Around that time there was also a bunch of games with the more general "are AI humans too?" theme like SOMA and that game with where robots had FMV eyes. I think the specific AI civil rights angle has not been completely played out yet, but personally I have become pretty tired of stories about AI and consciousness. It`s one of the reasons Nier Automata fell really flat for me last year.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the choices in the demo felt too meaningful, but I enjoyed the "video game"ness to the way they present chance of success and a flowchart during gameplay. I'm planning on playing it, but not until a good price drop.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I dunno I guess I'm in the minority but I actually really enjoyed Heavy Rain, warts and all, and I'm curious to try this one out. It's a shame about the working conditions the people who made this game had to endure. Also I really like all the wacky controller stuff they do. In a world where I lethargically settle into my seat and thumb through dialog with the X button for minutes on end, having to contort my hands around a controller in order to pull off some action sequences is actually a welcome change of pace.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did one playthrough the the demo and enjoyed it, seems like a good update to beyond two souls although i found it hard to see and understand some of the analog stick prompts.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cannonballbam

Checkpoint system could be better but other than that, I found myself replaying the demo to fill out the flowchart.

I have played all of the Supermassive titles and every Quantic Dream game except for Omikron. So I will probably pick this up too.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Hayt

Seems very cool but I really liked Beyond so clearly I am a crazy person. I hope critics don't savage it too much as I really enjoy playing one of these every few years.

Edit: Did anyone find the text kinda small though? Maybe it was the thin font on a white background but I struggled on the flowchart a bit.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

unfortunately the demo for this really won't be telling of how the game is.

Games like this need good writing to be good and none of QD's games have had good writing.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The game has come out in certain countries. I haven't played the game but I have watched some gameplay footage. From what I see, the writing is a little too on the nose.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.