Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom Eternal

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 20, 2020

The direct sequel to the 2016 installment of Doom. Hell’s armies have invaded Earth. Become the Slayer in an epic single-player campaign to conquer demons across dimensions and stop the final destruction of humanity.

They showed some gameplay. Looks awesome to me.

• 52 results
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

Considering the video just ended, the video of it will have to wait. Anyone else catch it? It looks like more fun Doom, but with additions. Darn, I just wrote a huge thing since I didn't think the video would be up, so I described it the best I could. Anyways, here is a video of it.

I came online right when the Doom Eternal portion started, so I wasn't even sure it was live at that point, but it was, so good timing for me I guess. Alright, this to me looks awesome. I love the locations you go to, how they look, and the talk of them trying to make sure everything has a story all the while it seems Doom Slayer still doesn't care about any of that is fantastic. They're really doubling down on the whole Doom Slayer is the most formidable character out of all of them, be it human or demon. I think the dialogue is pretty funny. The gameplay is more Doom 2016, but with the kind of additions and tweaks that I think really help it make it feel like a bigger and possibly better sequel rather than same old same old. The ability to hook shot your way around, a triple jump(?), the ability to evade quickly similar to Halo 5's dodge mechanic, and Doom Slayer having a blade attached to his arm for glory kills. It looks really cool. I'm super excited.

Edit - I think I got that wrong. No triple jump. Looked like there was a triple jump in there though.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

"Remember, 'Demon' can be an offensive term. Refer to them as 'mortally challenged.'"

xD

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Sin4profit

The amount of mobility options makes me wonder if they're going for a more "Metroidvania" style of level design. Looked as good as i expected, the traversal systems look pretty dense.

The Dark Souls-like invasion system seems like it could be pretty cool if you just want a quick multiplayer game. Didn't hear anything other than the invasion mode so i'm curious if that's all they're going to do as far as multiplayer is concerned.

Rage 2 continues to look really good as well.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

This looks fucking incredible and I really can't wait.

I hope it is a full-on Metroidvania, the first one was halfway there and I actually did want the sequel to be a Metroidvania.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It really does look incredible. Wow.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Switch version confirmed!!

Crap, I still need to play the first one! Too many games to play!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sin4profit: The first Doom felt a bit like Metroid to me already, so if they're going deeper with the with the more open stages, that's cool to me. Doom 2016 to me felt like a cross between Dead Space and Metroid Prime, but faster paced if you will.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Seldom do I see footage of a game where it's like "i need to be fucking playing this right goddamn now." Like, it's legitimately palpable just from that footage how good it'd feel to zip n' grapple around shooting demons.

The execution stuff seems a lot snappier too. Really dig the stuff they showed outside of the footage as well. The concept art for the old Doom enemies reimagined, and especially those locales, good lord. Diggin what they're saying about being into the lore and trying to build up a Doom universe. Even little things like hearing them talk about being overrun by the "invaders" and a bewildered techie saying that "corporate says to let them through!" is so damn fun. Such an amazingly absurd take on the whole demon invasion thing, I love it.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#9  Edited By Colonel_Pockets

That looks fucking awesome. Exactly what I would want out of a DOOM sequel.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

The mini-spider demon is ADORABLE. And I'm not saying that to be the affected weird "spiders secretly cute lol" guy, the fact that it's a tiny version of a previous boss and has big eyes made me literally go "AWWW!!"

That doesn't take away from the fact that this game looks like it rules. Doesn't seem like they're resting on their laurels, hoping they didn't just capture lightning in a bottle with that last game. So far, so good.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

good to see they expanded the movement stuff. They could've easily just made more of the same with some new enemies and called it a day, but this seems great.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Relkin

Looks fantastic. 1:36:10, for those looking for the beginning of the second gameplay section (the m/k one).

The player made a point of never initiating a glory kill from behind; think those aren't ready yet?

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It weirdly looks like DOOM 2 with the color palate, I wonder if that's intentional. Looks awesome.

The part where he walks into that room with people and everyone are in awe/terrified is incredible, I was laughing so much.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

That M+K gameplay was amazing. I’m surprised it’s this far into development!

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By The_Nubster

Fantastic. I was thinking, during the first clip, that it was going to suffer from the same issue as the first marketing campaign did by having to slow everything down. Very happy to see that they're aware of that issue here. This all looks so good, especially how fucking disgusting the levels are. Like that's some really unpleasant-looking meat world they've got going on, and I love it.

Also the fact that the YouTube video cuts out just before he talks about how awesome Id Tech 7 is is pretty funny. How many what's did you display, Marty? I need to know!!!

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More of Doom 2016 but with improvements. More mobility, more melee animations, and more demons to kill. This is exactly what I wanted. I am hyped.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sword arm makes some of the kills seem a little less rip and tear, less brutal, so I hope it has some gameplay use beyond just new animations. But that's the only questionable thing I saw, and it's so, so minor. The game looks great in every other regard.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Man, remember when this got announced and everyone was terrified it was going to be a battle royale game because it wasn’t straight-up called DOOM II? Good times.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope they have plans for single-player DLC with this one along with a pretty long campaign.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

cubidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cubidog

I wish I liked this as much as you guys seem to. All the gameplay from the new Doom games just looks awfully boring to me and I don't know why. Glad that you guys seem to like it though. Maybe these new Doom games just aren't for me.

Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cubidog: Did you play DOOM (2016)? I honestly had your opinion before I played it. Once I played the game, "I got it". Curious to hear your thoughts.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

id nailed this. They added so much cool shit while keeping everything that made the first so great. Invasion looks cool, enjoyed the writing, and doomguy has a swoooooooord!!!!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

It looks good. Some of the glory kills are w/e but this game is to expectation, nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure I'll like it but nothing really turned me on. They did an awesome job the 1st time around so this one certainly doesn't have to be leaps and bounds better.

It seemed overly self aware which is really tricky and fuck, they still got that garbage map.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@cubidog: You should really just grab Doom next time it's on sale for 20 bucks or whatever it runs for now. I remembering when they first showed gameplay thinking it looked OK, but nothing special. Once you play it, it just feels so damn good.

cubidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cubidog

@ssully: @colonel_pockets:I have not played it myself. I just can't justify buying a game that I think I won't like when I don't have a good income and I don't have a pc that could run it. Plus it doesn't seem like one of those games I don't enjoy playing myself, but I get why somebody else would. Stuff like Starcraft or Street Fighter are games I don't enjoy playing, but I can understand why somebody else does. I just don't get that with Doom unfortunately.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I absolutely love the reverence the universe in these games have for Doomguy. That scene in phobos is exactly the kinda shit I was hoping they would lean into with this game. It's so good.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I like that there's a lot less focus on glory kills in this one. Never had much interest in the constant interruptions to the shooting.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NTM

@brackstone: I don't think it looks less brutal necessarily, but there seemed to be the same animation for glory kills when you hit them from the same side (stab through the throat) which I thought some people might go 'hmm, needs more variety'.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daaaaaaang. That mobility is just ridiculous. Im in.

RPJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mobility is dialed up in a way that feels like a true sequel. Naturally, Earth looks great, and all the homage to Doom II is still hitting the right notes. They're riding on a razor's edge of camp and if they can land it, this thing is gonna be incredible.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

@brackstone: I don't think it looks less brutal necessarily, but there seemed to be the same animation for glory kills when you hit them from the same side (stab through the throat) which I thought some people might go 'hmm, needs more variety'.

Yeah, that was a problem. Half the glory kills were just stabs to the head at various angles for a large amount of the enemies, and the rest just looked like old ones but a little bit more clean. Some were okay, like the pain elemental one (everything about that pain elemental's walk animation is great too), but a lot of them seemed samey. Hopefully all the old animations return as well, that would give them a nice amount to cycle between.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuckin GREAT!!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God bless Bethesda for single-handedly keeping the single-player fps genre packed with games to play. I expected the shotgun claw thing to pull enemies towards you. I was wrong. I was so wrong and I'm so happy because that thing looks fuckin rad.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gameplay looks great but the jokes fucking suck.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Looks fantastic yet again. The movement, dismemberment, colours, updated weapons, all great. They went all in with the arcadey look and feel of things, which might makes it a little too much of a 'game' and less of a 'world', but I've no doubt it will play really well again.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cubidog: It just depends on the difficulty you play it on. For me, the 2016 game when it released was a bore fest as I went through it on easy (I tend to go through all games first on easy, then hard later). I struggled to want to finish it, so there were a few times in between getting through it where I'd move on to play other things. When I came back and finished it, I felt it was total 'meh'. After I finished it I tried to play on nightmare, and for the first level I was still kind of bored, but I eventually went back last year at some point, and I got through it. I absolutely loved it. The game is darn near perfect to me honestly, just in what it does. My biggest gripe I suppose is that I wish there was more.

There is also the 'issue' of points of no return, but that's alleviated with the fact you can just go back through the stage with all your items at any time. The combat is awesome on Nightmare as you are always on the move trying to think quickly as to how you're going to get through the battles, and then after the battles are all through on the level, it's a lot of fun to just explore the environment in and of itself, but also for collectibles. I was also no a fan of the soundtrack originally; it's basically dubstep meets heavy metal, but again on hard, it works so well with it that I learned to really appreciate it and I now sometimes listen to it on YouTube. It went from a game that I found hard to want to play, to a game that I can't help but want to keep playing.

The story is also interesting. It's not super deep, but there's quite a bit to read about the universe and how it all works. It's super fun to play a silent protagonist in which you know exactly how he feels, which is just the want to kill demons and nothing else, showing how he disregards or pushes away anything story related all the while it's trying to be shoved down his and your throat. And I love how every NPC, 'friendly' or foe seems really menacing, and yet the most menacing is the Doom Slayer. Unlocking upgrades is also very gratifying. I really just wish there was a bit more, like a couple more bosses at least.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I've actually had the chance to look at it:

Well the game looks great, and I looovveee the more open design. When the map was shown and a bunch of question marks popped up, I was immediately reminded of Metroid. If DOOM wants to become more like my true love Samus, I'm all in.

My only real complaint is something I heard a lot of complaints about for Wolfenstein. There's not enough of an indicator for when you're getting hurt and where the damage is coming from. There was a section where the guy playing lost like 50 armor and I had absolutely no idea what had hit him, even on a rewind. Considering how frustrating that seemed to be in Wolfenstein, they reeeaalllyyy need to get on that.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Now that I've actually had the chance to look at it:

Well the game looks great, and I looovveee the more open design. When the map was shown and a bunch of question marks popped up, I was immediately reminded of Metroid. If DOOM wants to become more like my true love Samus, I'm all in.

My only real complaint is something I heard a lot of complaints about for Wolfenstein. There's not enough of an indicator for when you're getting hurt and where the damage is coming from. There was a section where the guy playing lost like 50 armor and I had absolutely no idea what had hit him, even on a rewind. Considering how frustrating that seemed to be in Wolfenstein, they reeeaalllyyy need to get on that.

I'm with you on this one. Game looked fucking incredible, but the first one suffered a similar problem. I was one of the few people who loved the DOOM multiplayer too, but this ambiguous damage soak made it really hard to tell who was winning or loosing a fight. There were times were I died and exploded to pieces and I had no idea what the hell (no pun intended) was had happened.

Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cubidog: Totally understand. We all have different tastes.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@banefirelord: I won't be happy until I can buy a pack of 1000 WADs for $10 at a Walmart.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I see they're escalating in a really ridiculous, dumb way and I couldn't be more thrilled. I can't wait to see what nonsense speedrunners get up to with that dash and grapple.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game Informer has a written interview. They touch upon what we already kind of know based on what they said, but it goes into a bit more detail I suppose and get me more excited about it at least. I love what they say about expanding on the universe, be it lore or places you go to.

Interview here.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Greg

I really enjoyed the first game, but a lot of it was down to the fact that I was very uninterested in it before it released and got a lot of praise. This game will suffer because of this.

That being said, I am completely ready for more of that game. I played through the first game once, when it was first release, and I haven't touched it since.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The environments look even better, and I'm ready to play a sequel to the masterpiece that is Doom 2016.

HansBak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks impressive. Can't agree more with comments about the environments. "Take control of a demon", almost too good

Moderp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I’m looking too far into the words but, if this game plays like a fps-darksouls in that it’s a “big continuous world”. That would be a substantial merge of two genres. I’m just hoping they take the doom lore a little more serious than “mortally challenged” that just felt like a marvel joke out of place...

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool but i was hoping they would make the levels look a bit more interesting this time around.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.