Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Franchise »

id Software's Doom is now known as a modern classic that spawned a new genre of video games.

Doom is still magical to play

owenbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By owenbutler

I plugged in a new monitor today. I was browsing through my steam library looking for a suitable test game and on a whim I went retro! I started up the first episode of Doom in Ultraviolence difficulty level.

The first level was very familiar, I only missed one secret and killed almost all of the monsters. As I progressed through the levels to the finale of the first episode, I didn't get quite so many secrets. Every now and again I'd remember the correct wall to mash space against. Everything was eerily familiar.

The feel of the weapons is still top notch. Nothing better than coming across a room full of shotgun guys and imps. I quickly got back into the groove and got good at taking out the shotgun guys at all cost, then taking on the less dangerous enemies.

The first episode was fun, I'll definitely be re-playing the whole series now.

owenbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By owenbutler

I plugged in a new monitor today. I was browsing through my steam library looking for a suitable test game and on a whim I went retro! I started up the first episode of Doom in Ultraviolence difficulty level.

The first level was very familiar, I only missed one secret and killed almost all of the monsters. As I progressed through the levels to the finale of the first episode, I didn't get quite so many secrets. Every now and again I'd remember the correct wall to mash space against. Everything was eerily familiar.

The feel of the weapons is still top notch. Nothing better than coming across a room full of shotgun guys and imps. I quickly got back into the groove and got good at taking out the shotgun guys at all cost, then taking on the less dangerous enemies.

The first episode was fun, I'll definitely be re-playing the whole series now.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Karl_Boss

Hell yeah it is, it holds up very well.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By IBurningStar

Doom on Ultraviolence: a real man's game.  I still find Doom and Doom II to be more intense than any modern shooter.  Just the insane number of extremely powerful enemies makes it constant madness.

Don't play it on Nightmare, though. That requires you to practically speed run all the levels. Totally different experience.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By fox01313

Agreed, played it on a friend's 360 a few months ago along with some of the sequel (with some multiplayer) & was surprised on how many of the secrets I forgot about. Between the music, guns & how fun it is as a simple FPS shooter, it's still a gem over some of the other early FPS games to me.

Avatar image for whiteforestparkrangr
    WhiteForestParkRangr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, Doom is indeed timeless and still has a dedicated if modestly-sized community. People are still playing Doom online via zDoom/zDaemon source ports right now. I definitely recommend checking them out if you enjoy DooM and want to compete or coop with other players, it certainly adds a new dynamic and much customization/options to the experience that most people didn't get to enjoy back in the day over IPX, LAN, or dial-up.

Doom CTF/DM is still incredibly fast and furious and just insane fun (arguably the fastest MP FPS experience to this day, strafe running at what seems like 100 mph, blasting people in the face with the double-shotty or the mad dash at the beginning of the round for the BFG in the middle of the map on its high platform surrounded by toxic waste etc.)... as well as the various coop mods out there, survival mode being one of the crazier variants (think huge maps, hundreds of various badass baddies, traps and obstacles, ONE life per round and cooperative play, it's almost like an abstracted version of your typical dungeon raid in MMO's, the way you need to work together to clear each room/area and avoid doing stupid things that put you or someone else at risk, in the face of near-insurmountable demon hordes).

There's also a shitload of other mods out there that defy all description which the zDoom/zDaemon client automatically finds/downloads/updates for you when you join their respective servers.

Natesaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Natesaint

I still find the Doom Demons to be among the freakiest of monsters I've ever gunned down. There is something much more visceral about them paired with the graphics and atmosphere of the game. Modern games with better graphics can be scary, but Doom still beats them out for me. I had a lot of fun playing it back in 1993 and I did again when it was released on Xbox Live in 2006. I had barrels o' fun all over again.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thedj93

i love that game so much. first thing i played on my xbox when I got live haha

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By JTB123

Doom is still great no doubt, recently went through the first again and finished it on Ultra Violence.

@Origina1Penguin: Really looking forward to them picking up that Breaking Brad at some point too.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stete

Absofuckinglutely, Doom is still fun to play after all these years, it truly is a prime example of gameplay fine tuned to perfection. Ye sure it wasn't the FPS out there, but what Doom did to FPS is pretty much what Iron Maiden did to metal. However people should be vary because there are some versions out there (such as the PS1 and I think the iphone one as well) which don't have the music and that really downplays the experience. On the other hand the 360 live arcade version is freaking sweet, the game plays damn well with a 360 pad. Plus its 400 points, so all you young chaps out there who haven't played this yet, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.