Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

What happened to this game?

• 125 results
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Daveyo520

The only thing you have right is the reused environments.  

PS there are a gazillion threads about this already, you didn't need to make another one.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Ya you missed something.

The part where opinions differ and that beyond its flaws its still a good game.
    I prefer this, no matter its flaws as you described them, over most of the other stuff out there nowadays.

I enjoyed the game, got 31 hours out of my first playthrough and I'm definitely replaying. 

There's lots of room for improvement, but that goes for any game ever made.
    If you think this game is bad, you have obviously not played enough really bad games.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @Gap said:

• Red-neck Americans complaining about British accents and then saying how it was payback by the Brits for the war of independence 

Erm... What the fuck? Firstly I haven't heard anything like that, please elaborate; secondly how is that anything to do with  whether DAII is a good game or not?

I'm not gonna touch the rest of this stuff other than to say that I enjoyed Origins, and I'm enjoying II.
    DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By DelroyLindo

I never played the first one, but i get the impression this is all just a bunch of fat nerds over-reacting

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mechanical_Ape

You haven't played the game but you have a long list of reasons why it's bad? You really should experience something before you decide whether it's good or not. Naysayers are always far more vocal than supporters. This isn't limited just to this game, but almost anything in life. If you're going to base your opinions on what some anonymous figure says, you'll hate everything in life. Many of the points you listed are negligible, or outright incorrect.

The game has its issues. I certainly don't enjoy it as much as I did the first. That being said, I am currently on my second playthrough. It has its faults, but many of the things that made the first game good are still present in this one as well. If you are looking for Dragon Age 1 Part 2, this is not that. But that does not mean that the game is bad.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By unchained

I thought the game was fantastic. I'm not alone. 

Gametrailers: 9.2/10
    Escapist:  10/10
    Gamesradar: 8/10 
    IGN: 8.5/10 
    Gamespot: 8/10  

While those aren't the best scores Bioware has ever produced, they are still great scores. The game was obviously a victim to a rushed development cycle. That said, I'm running through my second playthrough and still loving it. 

blackfire83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blackfire83

I really don't see where all this rage is coming from. DA2 is fine. It's not RPG nirvana or anything, but it's the best game I've played in a long while and does a fine job scratching the RPG itch. Does it have issues? Sure. But I don't think it deserves all this nerd rage. Can't please some people, I guess.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Daveyo520

Also user scores mean shit, because it is just people like you who have never played the game and want to hate it.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By probablytuna

20+ hours in and I'm still loving the heck out of it despite its flaws. Certainly not the best in Bioware's catalogue, but the game is still a tonne of fun.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlashDance

I like how a lot of people complaining about the game seem to have finished it in a few days. If you hate it with so much passion, why spend 20/30+ hours in 2 or 3 days playing it ?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Kazona

What happened is that a bunch of 4chan 'tards got their panties in a wad, and decided to bash a perfectly fine game.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Daveyo520
    @SlashDance said:
    " I like how a lot of people complaining about the game seem to have finished it in a few days. If you hate it with so much passion, why spend 20/30+ hours in 2 or 3 days playing it ? "
    I asked this question the other day and got yelled at.
    Ichorid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Ichorid4

Comments on the game aside, thanks for sharing that pic. Dunno if it's worth starting a new thread over or not, but I had my fun.

Mooqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mooqi

That meme is funny and sad at the same time. Nonetheless the game is not trash. It's an average game that seems like trash if you compare it to DA:O. If you have never played DA:O it might even be a great game for you.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Revan_NL

I do enjoy Dragon Age II, it's a solid RPG, but not BioWare's best work. The thing is... Dragon Age II isn't a Dragon Age game. It's artstyle is so different then the first one. Granted, the Origins had was leaning to much towards LOTR in terms of design, but the design of Dragon Age II manages to be worse somehow. 

But the answer to your question is simple OP: EA happened to this game.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By McGhee

The only two real problems on this list are the re-used environments and the game crashes, and they aren't enough to make this game the disaster your crazed post suggests.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Bennyishere

I love Dragon Age 2, but that picture is really hilarious to me... Dragon Age 2 isn't any worse than Dragon Age Origins, though. It's like people forget how mundane the quests, combat and dialogue in that game was.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The reused environments are pretty bad.. but the rest of the complaints I don't really understand.  Especially it being "dumbed down".  It plays almost exactly like the first one, the only real difference is with the way conversations are held.. which I agree was a stupid change but I don't see how it's dumbed down, it's not like selecting things to say from a list was the height of intelligent gameplay.  It was done to make the game more cinematic.. again, stupid decision, but hardly gameplay destroying. 

It should have stuck with a style more similar to the first, it does feel more like a spin-off or expansion to me.  Not worthy of some of the perfect scores it's been receiving but still far better than all of this internet drama is implying.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By frankxiv

what happened is dragon age origins seemed to be a special case, a throwback, a "love letter" to fans, and then for 2 it seems they made it just like the rest of their (awesome) games and everyone goes batshit it's not just origins again.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By Yummylee

Good grief, the entire DA2 board is like one giant broken record.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By phrosnite
    The game is fantastic! I could run it on High(with DX11) but the game locked up on me 3 times so I changed to DX9 on medium and the game ran as smooth as butter. No lock ups, super fast loadings and the game looked great. The people who say that the graphics are crap are f-ing idiots. The game looks better than DA:O with a few exceptions.

Yeah, the only legitimate complaint is the reuse of environments. There were other mijor flaws but every game has those...

P.S. - Played the game 5 days straight. In total 59 hours. Each day 12 hours on average of playtime. LOL! LOVE THE GAME!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Complaining there is a lack of masculinity in a game that features Varric Tethras and his chest is ridonkulous.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Gap: I'm one of the people that had a lot of problems with DA2, but this is fucking ridiculous.  If you haven't played the game now that it's out, you can't bitch about it with stuff that you've heard.  Be a big boy and shut the fuck up until you've played it and formed your own opinion, or decide that it's not something you want to try and get over it, you whiny brat. 

"Yo dawg, I herd from people that sushi tastes bad, so what the fuck is up with all these people eating sushi?  Hey, sushi chefs, how about cooking that shit... looks raw, dude."
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Tennmuerti

From personal experience:

• Lack of character development- wrong
    • Stone-faced emotionless characters - wrong
    • overly gay characters ("it's fine if there's some gay characters but i don't want my son just seeing ALL the men being gay, where's the masculinity in this game?") - personal preference
    • Re-used dungeon layouts - correct
    • Bland generic quests- correct
    • Consolised and dumbed down (what Bioware called 'streamlined') - semi correct, (for noraml difficulty), hard and nightmare are ok
    • Bugs and crashes- minor it's far more stable then most rpgs these days
    • Red-neck Americans complaining about British accents and then saying how it was payback by the Brits for the war of independence - who gives a fuck 
    • Bioware staff reviewing their own game - who gives a fuck, matacritic user reviews are retarded
    • PC Gamer US once again nut-hugging a poorly made game (they gave Black-Ops GOTY... retards) - who gives a fuck
    • Ending - is fine

DA2 is not an awfull game.
    Neither is it as good as DA:O I would say (not that DA:O was a masterpiece either)
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FritzDude

Caring is to not care.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Cwaff

@Gap said: 

• Lack of character development
    • Stone-faced emotionless characters
    • overly gay characters ("it's fine if there's some gay characters but i don't want my son just seeing ALL the men being gay, where's the masculinity in this game?")
    • Re-used dungeon layouts
    • Bland generic quests
    • Consolised and dumbed down (what Bioware called 'streamlined')
    • Bugs and crashes
    • Red-neck Americans complaining about British accents and then saying how it was payback by the Brits for the war of independence 
    • Bioware staff reviewing their own game
    • PC Gamer US once again nut-hugging a poorly made game (they gave Black-Ops GOTY... retards)
    • Ending
    Let me take each point and give my opinion on it. 

So far I have found no problem with character development, each character has a background and a story to tell. 
    I agree with this one to an extent, emotion is not portrayed overly well in this game. 
    Some people will want to mate with certain people, is it wrong to be given options? 
    There's a fair amount of the same layouts being used but only in the more obscure side quests I've found. 
    I have found the quests as good as if not better than general RPG quests. 
    Dumbed down is hardly the word, the combat is much faster and I feel it is not as difficult on normal as Origins was but it's still very satisfying and enjoyable. 
    Haven't met any bugs or crashes on the PC version 12 and a half hours in. 
    Voice acting isn't half bad throughout, some voices aren't great but it's not game breaking. 
    I don't see this is a valid point whatsoever as to why this is a "bad game" 
    Perhaps PC Gamer actually like the game like I do? 
    Have not yet got to the ending. 

Dragon Age 2 is not perfect, it's not up to the standards of other Bioware titles but I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot and it's a shame to watch it get such an unnecessary beating.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By armaan8014
    @Gap: lol
    lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lclay

That comic misrepresents the actual game so badly it's almost funny. 

That graphics screenshot especially is just nonsense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gap said:

• overly gay characters ("it's fine if there's some gay characters but i don't want my son just seeing ALL the men being gay, where's the masculinity in this game?")
    Apparently not getting it from you so he needs it from a game.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Red

I am very much proud of the community majority to have moved passed hating on DA2. It's my favorite game of the year so far by an empire state building-sized margin. 
    Also, whenever you start a thread that involves bashing a game with "I have yet to play the game" you might as well make a thread about your girl problems and daddy issues. 
    (I.E. no one will care or listen to you)

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mike76x
    @Gap said:
    "  So this game is being slammed from all angles by anyone and everyone... what the fuck happened Bioware? I have yet to play the game and i'm glad i haven't, summarising from what i've seen on the Steam, Bioware, EA and every other forum alongside Bioware's Facebook wall, it seems as though they cocked up big time: 

• Bland generic quests
    • Consolised and dumbed down (what Bioware called 'streamlined')
    • Bugs and crashes
    • PC Gamer US once again nut-hugging a poorly made game (they gave Black-Ops GOTY... retards)
    • Ending
      Have i missed anything? "
    You missed the part where you actually play the game before commenting on it.
    That way you don't look like an idiot .
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By jorbear

Dragon Age: Origins is a great game, and so is Dragon Age 2. It's not as good, but I think the only reason why I loved DA:O so much was because it was a well-done throwback. I have problems with Dragon Age 2, but the problems I have (Re-used environments an re-spawning enemies) are easy to overlook because of the great characters, art design, and fun (albeit less tactical) combat. 

Take a deep breath, and enjoy the game. It's good.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nick_verissimo

Why is it that any time a game gets a certain degree of hype and it scores lower than a 9 on average that people go and shit all over it.  Despite all the crap I've heard, this is still a game that I want to eventually experience and the way a game scores doesn't really matter to me as long as it brings an experience that I think will be fun. Also, basing how bad/game the game is based on users scores on metacritic is sort of dumb. It's all people giving the game either a 0's or 9's and it's all fans basing or praising on different sides.

Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lestater

I couldn't even play Origins it was so god damn boring and stale.  They added a little life to Dragon Age in the form of Jade Empire and now I'm in love with Dragon Age II.   

I have a theory.  A lot of people on this site are your stereotypical nerd (say "gross nerd" in your head a bunch of times until you get a visual).  Most of these kids are now fat and ugly abominations willing to fuck anything that can fold skin together.  I'm sure they look back at their simple childhood and how great it was; that's all a distant memory as you look in the mirror and question if you will start giving birth to Hurlocks (google Broodmother in case you're dense).  So, these kids probably played older RPG's that are styled more like Origins.  And I'm sure these kids, jizzed in their pants every time they got +1 strength.   

But times changed, and RPG's started to become more realistic.  Keep that butthole firmly shut, as I'm sure you almost shit your pants when I said "realistic" and "RPG" in the same sentence.  What I mean by this, and I'm sure there are tons of people who enjoy planning every little thing for every little battle, but that's not how it would be if Dragon Age we're a reality.  You would not get the luxury of pausing for an hour so just to come to the conclusion that you should heal.  When I played Origins, I felt like I was watching a badly buffering video on youtube.  For games to really make you entertain the notion of "what if this were real?" they have to play like real life.  And real life is fast, and so for a game to really make you feel like you're the character, it has gotta be fast too, at least for the combat. 

Now back to my point.  I'm sure these kids loved their old school RPG's.  But something awful happened in their lives, didn't it?  Yes, they were raped.  Maybe by their father, or even perhaps their mother.  Nonetheless, mass rape occurred on the lives of several nerdy children.  (Side note: it's believed, but not confirmed, that the mass rape was lead by an organization called "ARPG")   Years have gone by and the past, thought to be locked away, is perhaps metaphorically returning in the shape of Dragon Age II. 

When they played Origins, I'm sure it reminded them of that innocence before the mass rape of their childhood.  They jumped for joy.  They loved life.  They started losing weight.  They found out what a penis is and what a vagina is AND what they can do in tandem.  But then...  Almost like a black cloud of cancer creeping in on the Japanese (too soon?), came Dragon Age II.  Not only did they believe the past was finally gone for good but they thought that the Dragon Age II would retain the more outdated gameplay of Origins.  But it didn't.  Not only did the game have actual action in it, but it also had gibs.  Gibs.  This was the last straw.  Before being able to even create what your character looks like (referencing when you just get to pick your class), these kids were bombarded with past images of their tortured past.  They could do it no more.  They had been raped for a second time and this time, it was personal.

So, what I'm really trying to say here is that most (I didn't say "all" because I didn't want some retard quoting this and being all "blah blah blah") people that don't like Dragon Age II, don't like it just because it's different than Origins and not because it's a bad game, because it isn't.  I really do think it's better than Origins, and part of me really thinks that some people here might have a problem with moving on from the past. 

TL;DR 

Stop taking what Bioware does with their game personal and just enjoy Dragon Age II, because it really is a good game and you're gonna miss out unless you remove the stick from your ass.

Lotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lotus
    @Gap said:  

("it's fine if there's some gay characters but i don't want my son just seeing ALL the men being gay, where's the masculinity in this game?")

This made me laugh so hard, oh man!, hurts...
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#37  Edited By galiant

Try it for yourself, you're missing out. I loved Origins and I love DA2 even more.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cataphract1014

Hey look.  Its another one of these fucking threads.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By melcene
    @Gap said:
    "  So this game is being slammed from all angles by anyone and everyone... what the fuck happened Bioware?  I have yet to play the game and i'm glad i haven't, summarising from what i've seen on the Steam, Bioware, EA and every other forum alongside Bioware's Facebook wall, it seems as though they cocked up big time: 

• Bland generic quests
    • Consolised (newsflash:  that happens on console ports)  and dumbed down (what Bioware called 'streamlined')

• Bugs and crashes
    • Red-neck Americans complaining about British accents and then saying how it was payback by the Brits for the war of independence  (wtf?)   

• P C Gamer US once again nut-hugging a poorly made game (this from the guy who has yet to play the game)  (they gave Black-Ops GOTY... retards)

• Ending

[insert a bunch of pictures that have been edited/spoofed/whatever out of context to portray some sour grapes' asshole's jaded view of the game.]

Have i missed anything? "
    What is with the poor quality of trolling lately?
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By spazmaster666

Just because you have to press a button for each attack doesn't make a game "mashy." Disabling auto-attack certainly doesn't make the game easier either. Honestly people who are complaining about the gameplay either haven't played the game AT ALL or are just completely out of their minds as so far, on both the PC and 360 versions, I've been playing the game exactly the same way that I played Origins.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " Hey look.  Its another one of these fucking threads. "
    Heh.
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @SlashDance:
    I agree
    H_U_R_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By H_U_R_D

jesus, if every critic were like you, we'd be fucked

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By phantomzxro

• Bland generic quests
  • Consolised and dumbed down (what Bioware called 'streamlined'    
  •  
    These are the only points i believe you may have an agrument with but other then that all the other points are BS. The game is really good just not dragon age origins 2 which is way so many may be upset. The game does stand up pretty well on it's own when not comparing it. I think if this was their way of rebooting dragon age or reshapiing it then i give them props. I only wish that they build from here and make the next game way more polished and add some of the things that were lost . 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Lestater:  Wow guy why so aggressive.
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By Gaff

In his defence, everything the OP listed were complaints that were brought up ad nauseam in various corners of the internet, and by some reviews.
    Being a bit apprehensive about the game because of those complaints is natural.

Though basing an opinion solely on that basis is a bit dubious, first hand experience (and well founded arguments) being what they are.
    Then again, spending $60 just to prove a point on the internet is something for either the brave, spiteful or stupid.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#47  Edited By StarvingGamer

Anyone else find it funny that the "scathing commentary graphic" uses the awesomely textured Arishock character model to criticize the low res face of one random townsperson?

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Demyx

I really want to play this game. Just can't afford it yet. Also, waiting for auto-attack on consoles to be patched in. I tried playing the demo, didn't really enjoy pressing a repeatedly.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Milkman

I played Origins yesterday. It was glorious. 

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By unchained
    @Red said:
    " I am very much proud of the community majority to have moved passed hating on DA2. It's my favorite game of the year so far by an empire state building-sized margin. 
    I agree completely. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.