Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

Despite Everything, Duke Nukem Forever Was Profitable

• 125 results
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By Eyz

You know..it was obvious this would make money, quality or not.
    See, on the same subject, blockbuster movies nowadays... They don't need to make much sense, look polished or have good plot either!

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Cubical

I had a lemon aid stand  that was 4 years in the making that made me a profit.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By hockeymask27
    @ADarkMatter: Give me time to get it together. Here's a down payment to prove I'm good for it. 
    xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By xpgamer7

Where did Duke go wrong?

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#105  Edited By Shabs

Kudos to Gearbox for wrapping up the project successfully.

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By vendetta
    @Eyz said:
    You know..it was obvious this would make money, quality or not. See, on the same subject, blockbuster movies nowadays... They don't need to make much sense, look polished or have good plot either!
    The first Duke game didn't make much or have a good plot and it was still considered great.
    TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ
    @MordeaniisChaos said:

Good. Gearbox took a huge risk and I'd hate to have seen them lose money on anything. Remember this money goes to Borderlands 2!!!!!

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#108  Edited By 1337W422102

Fuck yeah.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By vinsanityv22

Woooo! Glad to see the lure of seeing how it turned out was enough for people to ignore reviews and actually check it out:) The game is janky as heck; I'll admit it. But that's part of the charm. A game in development that long, by that many dev teams, has to look like a "Frankenstein's monster" of a game. But at the end of the day, it's still fun. And does a decent job of marrying older-school (superior) late 90's FPS game design with newer school (worse), uber easy, uber linear design. 

I'm glad it's successful. Because Gearbox gets to make a brand new Duke Nukem now. Well, when they finish their current slate of Borderlands 2 (WOOOOO), Aliens: Colonial Marines (WOOOOO) and...another Brothers in Arms (ZZZzzzzz....eh, at least it's Inglourious Bastards-style, instead of boring old COD style WWII). Hail to the King, baby!

Lucidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Lucidlife

Glad to hear it. It was a damn good game. Period.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By HerbieBug

Profitable for Take-Two, yeah, maybe.  Profitable overall, taking into account the entire development process and all funds sunk into it from various sources?  No fucking chance. 

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By thetenthdoctor

Despite the hot mess on 360 of horrendous load time, texture streaming issues and bad framerates, I still played Duke to completion and enjoyed it- even played a second time to S rank it.  Sure it was kind of crap in places, but I think everyone was WAY too harsh in their opinions.  Yes, there are much better games out there, but it was a perfectly serviceable FPS with some unique weapons and a different tone than all the super serious military shooter prevalent right now.  Of course I'm not saying they're "wrong" (since you can't have a wrong opinion), but I personally found it a nice change of pace.

I think a big part of the problem is that Gearbox removed about half the levels from game because they weren't close enough to being "done" that they could be part of the quick polish job they did.  Chances are when the single player DLC lands and restores the missing levels and weapons it'll be a more complete game.

Avatar image for dapperswinegames
    DapperSwineGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Proof that most people will eat whatever feces you shovel into their mouths if you tell them it's cake!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By MrKlorox

Yeah it's profitable for them because George Broussard funded it out of his own pocket for the longest time. It wasn't just T2's money.

Xsheps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#115  Edited By Xsheps

I always thought that people carefully read about each game before deciding to purchase.

go_diego_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By go_diego_go

if nothing else this proves that hype wins over good gaming any day of the week. *sigh*

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Never bet against the Duke.  Everybody knows that.  You don't have to put
    a gun to my head.  I'll tell you.  He's A #1.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Eyz
    @Vendetta said:
    @Eyz said:
    You know..it was obvious this would make money, quality or not. See, on the same subject, blockbuster movies nowadays... They don't need to make much sense, look polished or have good plot either!
    The first Duke game didn't make much or have a good plot and it was still considered great.
    The first one? http://eyzmaster.blogspot.com/2011/02/vgr-duke-nukem.html
    Sadly..I'd say, nobody really remembers the first 2 Duke Nukem games, even with funny over-the-tope parodic plots. (it's not like we cared much about "plot" back in the early 90s on our 8/16-bits videogames..)

But the 3rd one, Duke Nukem 3D does have a simplistic plot (aliens land on earth, good guy has to kill bad guys, yada yada..) - which was already a bit more than what other games had at the time~
    lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By lettuceman44

Why anyone would buy this game is beyond me lol.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By hatking
    @MajorToms said:

I wonder how many copies of L.A. Noire have actually been sold. Every shop I go into has way too many copies sitting around.

Anyways, who thinks that Duke Nukem will be turned into a "Brah" character? He is the sort of chauvinistic jock of yesteryear, and that translates to the brahs of today. Dear god please don't be this silly Gearbox, Duke has more intelligence than the brahs of today. He needs to have a high level of suave and arrogance, but still be a complete meat head. Most brahs are just meatheads with low level suave and replace arrogance with ignorance.

I would gladly spend five to ten hours with Master Chief, Marcus Phoenix, Captain Price, the dude from Killzone and whatever other "meatheads" you could be referring to over even a half hour with Duke Nukem.  That character is fucking unbearable.  He always has been and always will be.  
    MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By MajorToms

@HatKing said:

@MajorToms said:

I wonder how many copies of L.A. Noire have actually been sold. Every shop I go into has way too many copies sitting around.

Anyways, who thinks that Duke Nukem will be turned into a "Brah" character? He is the sort of chauvinistic jock of yesteryear, and that translates to the brahs of today. Dear god please don't be this silly Gearbox, Duke has more intelligence than the brahs of today. He needs to have a high level of suave and arrogance, but still be a complete meat head. Most brahs are just meatheads with low level suave and replace arrogance with ignorance.

I would gladly spend five to ten hours with Master Chief, Marcus Phoenix, Captain Price, the dude from Killzone and whatever other "meatheads" you could be referring to over even a half hour with Duke Nukem. That character is fucking unbearable. He always has been and always will be.

I wasn't actually referring to or thinking of any characters. I was referring to how Duke was adopted off of a real frame of mind that real people had back in those days. If you contrasted it to the people of today, his type of character would be best compared to one of the meat head morons on Jersey shore. I just hope theydon'tmodernize him in this way, is all.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#122  Edited By Gabriel

@HatKing said:

@MajorToms said:

I would gladly spend five to ten hours with Master Chief, Marcus Phoenix, Captain Price, the dude from Killzone and whatever other "meatheads" you could be referring to over even a half hour with Duke Nukem. That character is fucking unbearable. He always has been and always will be.

You obviously have no fucking idea what your talking about if you'd rather spend 5 hours with Killzone 2 Rico, over Duke Nukem.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#123  Edited By zeus_gb
    Glad to heard that it was at least a little bit successful.  DNF was an OK FPS game but certainly not the ground breaker Duke 3D was, which I thought was a great shame.  Hopefully if there's another one it'll be a hell of a lot better.
    yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#124  Edited By yukoasho
    @HerbieBug said:
    Profitable for Take-Two, yeah, maybe.  Profitable overall, taking into account the entire development process and all funds sunk into it from various sources?  No fucking chance. 
    Well, both Take 2 and Gearbox made out like bandits once they got the game out of 3DR's hands.  The absurd development, however, has completely sunk 3D Realms.  I doubt we'll ever see a relevant game from them again.
    zymbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#125  Edited By zymbo

A lot of people bought it to see if it could hold up to the nostalgia of Duke 3d.  It didn't.  For a FPS it lacked a lot of the "shooting" element.  Too bad.  It still had a few fun parts.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.