Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

Duke Nukem Demo is live

exanubisleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By exanubisleader

If you preordered your copy of Duke Nukem you should check your email for your code. You had to have made a account with the duke nukem site first. All I have to say is Duke Nukem just might be the worst game of 2011. I wasn't expected the game to be good. Little did I know I would be playing a terrible game with all of the following:

Long load times
    Terrible shooting.
    Texture poping in every five seconds
    Unstable  frame rate. 
    Mediocre jokes 
    Repeated audio.
    terrible U.I

And its game design can be described as archaic, frustrating, dull and just plain horrible.

I am not overreacting there is no redeeming quality other then a few one note lines that are funny.
    Duke deserved better and I don't blame Gearbox. But this is a franchise that needed to stay dead or a complete overhaul. 3D Realms must have been just dicking around this entire time.

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By PieGuy

Sad to hear this =(

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Blommer4

I disagree, I liked the demo :)

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @exanubisleader said:
    If you preordered your copy of Duke Nukem you should check your email for your code. You had to have made a account with the duke nukem site first. All I have to say is Duke Nukem just might be the worst game of 2011. I wasn't expected the game to be good. Little did I know I would be playing a terrible game with all of the following:  Long load times Terrible shooting. Texture poping in every five seconds Unstable  frame rate.  Mediocre jokes  Repeated audio. terrible U.I And its game design can be described as archaic, frustrating, dull and just plain horrible.   I am not overreacting there is no redeeming quality other then a few one note lines that are funny.Duke deserved better and I don't blame Gearbox. But this is a franchise that needed to stay dead or a complete overhaul. 3D Realms must have been just dicking around this entire time.
    I never had texture poping. Frame rate was fine Medicore jokes? They are what I expected from Duke. I even got a "Hail to the king baby" Load times might be better in man game and if you Install. 
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By themangalist
    @Blommer4 said:
    Glad to hear this =)
    Jash530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jash530

I would forgive the dated game play mechanics if it came a funny  single player but 5 minutes in we a get a ??????......PROFIT! joke. So yeah.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IBurningStar

I don't care if the game is total shit. I still believe that Gearbox succeeded because they actually shipped the motherfucker. I'm also still going to play the thing because...I kind of have to. I think that is true for a lot of people. I just have to play this thing that has been trapped in development for over a decade.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Jash530 said:
    I would forgive the dated game play mechanics if it came a funny  single player but 5 minutes in we a get a ??????......PROFIT! joke. So yeah.
    That did make me laugh. The more I think about it. The more I do want this game to just hear the "bad" jokes they make 

Step 3...uhh...err...PROFIT! 
    SHADOWINFINITE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SHADOWINFINITE
    @Blommer4 said:
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Was pretty boring. But then I got a shotgun and killed pigs with a wide smile.  

And I laughed my ass off when the release trailer in the end of the demo was censored. >.<

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @IBurningStar said:
    I don't care if the game is total shit. I still believe that Gearbox succeeded because they actually shipped the motherfucker. I'm also still going to play the thing because...I kind of have to. I think that is true for a lot of people. I just have to play this thing that has been trapped in development for over a decade.
    I can understand from a curiosity's standpoint, but are you going to rent, buy new, or buy used?

If this was $40 I would pick it up day one with no questions asked.
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IBurningStar
    @bonorbitz: Don't know. It wont be a day one purchase. If a friend gets it, I'll probably just borrow it from him when he is done. If reviews are generally really negative then I most likely won't buy it new. Maybe even check Blockbuster for a rental.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlasherMan
    @exanubisleader said:
    Long load times Texture poping in every five seconds Unstable  frame rate.  
    What platform were you playing on? Those issues are non-existent in the PC version.
    Ziron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Ziron

"worst game of the year"? Come on.

Evil_Alaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Evil_Alaska

This game is the epitome of the "just a rental" concept.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cloudenvy

@SlasherMan said:

@exanubisleader said:
    Long load times Texture poping in every five seconds Unstable frame rate.
    What platform were you playing on? Those issues are non-existent in the PC version.

I'm in the PC camp as well and everything seemed totally fine.

exanubisleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By exanubisleader

Okay I feel like I sorta need to make a retraction. I replayed the demo.The gameplay is mediocre but not terrible. Replace framerate with screen tearing which happens on occasion. Jokes are pretty funny. The textures pop in but the thing that bugged me was this constant  blur effect I kept noticing. The game won't be the worse but now I am playing it for the jokes and not anything else. Also I was playing the 360 version for those who asked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.