Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

The (soon to be, I think) infamous rape scene.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By oatz
    @Metal_Mills said:

After watching the QL I think this game is very misogynistic. The area with the crying, naked women(who I guess are the ones getting raped?) and then killed my Duke is fucking disturbing. I'm fine with ANYTHING in a game but that really came off as wrong.

That's funny, because I think all the violence against males in this game is really offensive. I'm fine with ANYTHING in a game but that really came off as wrong.
    Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Aishan
    @DeeGee: The aliens are abducting the women. It is most definitely not consensual. It is unquestionably, undeniably, rape. 

And then the protagonist makes a joke about the situation. That is what is disgusting about it.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#53  Edited By musubi

There is no "rape"  Jim Sterling the loveable fat fuck that he is just wanted to stir the pot on this one.     The girls are essentialy redesigned  versions of this...   

No Caption Provided

Duke does make a "You're Fucked" joke to the Holsom twins and while being crass its far from being the worst thing ever as the holsom twins are not exactly played up to be endearing characters  at all.      Nothing to be excited about at all.    
    Egg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Egg0

I thought this thread was going to be about how bad this game raped my eyes with its' horrible textures, or lack of it.
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By DeeGee

@Aishan said:

The aliens are abducting the women. It is most definitely not consensual. It is unquestionably, undeniably, rape.
    And then the protagonist makes a joke about the situation. That is what is disgusting about it.

He specifically talked about the twins and ignores how they totally wanted to bang that alien. Then Duke Nukem does a joke, as he is prone to do, being an unfunny sex obsessed sort of guy.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

After watching the QL I think this game is very misogynistic. The area with the crying, naked women(who I guess are the ones getting raped?) and then killed my Duke is fucking disturbing. I'm fine with ANYTHING in a game but that really came off as wrong.

That's funny, because I think all the violence against males in this game is really offensive. I'm fine with ANYTHING in a game but that really came off as wrong.

DAT FUNNEE U CLEVER. You reversed it and shit brah. I see now.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By oatz
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

DAT FUNNEE U CLEVER. You reversed it and shit brah. I see now.

thanks brahhhh i worked hard on it 
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By metal_mills

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

You're an idiot. Yeah, please show me the tied up, naked, crying men for are being raped in this game. Go on.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Sogeman

Virtual people get blown up and dismembered: no one cares. Virtual people get raped: Big thing

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By DeeGee

@Sogeman said:

Virtual people get blown up and dismembered: no one cares. Virtual people get raped: Big thing

This sums up my feelings in a nutshell =P

Of all the terrible, inhumane things video games do, this is where people have a problem?

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I find this more pathetic than offensive, and it should be treated as such. It's not a big deal, it's a weak attempt at controversy if anything.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ShaggE

Duke 3D and DNF both took slightly darker turns when it came to the "pod babes". Listen to the original pod babe sound files. That "kill me..." clip is pretty dark, and shooting them gave you nothing but a scream, some spawned aliens, and a morose "damn..." from Duke. It's the single piece of the game that isn't played for laughs, and I often wonder if it was a hint at a plan to take the series down a completely different path. Probably not, but it was still a stark contrast. 

DNF, of course, takes it a bit farther, but the whole thing about on-screen rape is bullshit. That didn't happen. Rape is IMPLIED, by way of Alien-like insemination, and the "you're fucked" joke is pretty disturbing in light of that, but it's most certainly not as bad as they say. And it seems to me that DNF's pod babe sequence was aiming for the same unease that DN3D had. There's nothing funny about people slowly dying in agony while choking/vomiting and swelling up with their alien baby, and I don't think it was meant to be anything but a short tonal shift for the game that maybe got a little TOO grotesque for some. Hell, I even felt bad for the Holsom twins, and they're the farthest thing from realistic or sympathetic. That honestly impressed me. 

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By oatz
    @Metal_Mills said:

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

You're an idiot. Yeah, please show me the tied up, naked, crying men for are being raped in this game. Go on.

I don't think there are any tied up, naked, crying men being raped in this game, but I do know that there are a shit ton more men being brutally killed than there are women being raped by aliens.

And I find that really offensive. In fact, I should go on some Internet boards crying about it.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@DeeGee said:

@Sogeman said:

Of all the terrible, inhumane things video games do, this is where people have a problem?

The rape isn't the issue. The humour made of the rape (via Duke's one-liner) is likely to be the thing which offends. People need to read more of the OP and add less of their own context just so they can seem above the issue.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#65  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It was extremely stupid not unlike the rest of the game. Seriously if there is one game in this world you shouldn't talk about morals and logic it's this game.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#66  Edited By CrimsonNoir
    @Positrark said:

Anyone else found the title immediately confusing?

The (soon to be, I think) infamous rape scene.

Since Infamous 2 is coming out now, I though that this was refering to a rape scene in Infamous 2, before I saw that it was attached to DNF.

haha i was thinking the same thing. 

to be honest, why is the reviewer surprised? it's playing off the Aliens movie and Duke Nukem 3D, did he think Duke was gonna get classy all of sudden when this game was finally finished?
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#67  Edited By grilledcheez

That's not a rape scene

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By KaosAngel

The game's been legally out for almost a week now, if you don't want spoilers for this "epic story telling" of a game, don't be online. Also who the hell cares if the game has rape with aliens.

Killer7 did a way better job with rape in games.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By musubi
    @DeeGee: Yup.  Violence and murder gets played off for comedy all the time.      And if someone were to tell me that murder wasn't as bad as rape I'd fucking punch them in the mouth.    BOTH  are equally horrible and yet one seems to be  "ok" for entertainment purposes?   Fucking give me a break.     If your going to do tasteless comedy nothing should be off limits its one of the reasons I respect south park so much absolutely nothing is off limits to them.    

I mean if you think about it in the right light  the three stooges of all things could sound horribly depressing.  Here is curly and larry trying to do things for Moe and they make mistakes and moe continually  verbally berates and physically abuses his friends for making honest mistakes.     God damn sick people laughing at physical abuse!
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DeeGee

@SeriouslyNow said:

The rape isn't the issue. The humour made of the rape (via Duke's one-liner) is likely to be the thing which offends. People need to read more of the OP and add less of their own context just so they can seem above the issue.

I don't see how that changes anything I said, but if you want me to be more specific:

Of all the terrible, inhumane things video games do, this joke is where people have a problem?

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By metal_mills

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

I don't think there are any tied up, naked, crying men being raped in this game, but I do know that there are a shit ton more men being brutally killed than there are women being raped by aliens.

And I find that really offensive. In fact, I should go on some Internet boards crying about it.

Yeah, voicing my opinion is having a cry. Grow up,

And if you can't tell the difference between tied up, crying people and soldiers getting killed then you need help.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By phrosnite

We saw that part in the Quick Look, right? I didn't look that bad...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By musubi
    @Metal_Mills:   Oh, so murder is less offensive to you than rape?  Because if it is then you seriously need your mental health checked out.
    oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By oatz
    @Metal_Mills said:

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

And if you can't tell the difference between tied up, crying people and soldiers getting killed then you need help.

If you can't tell the difference between sexual assault and people being murdered then you need help. 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@DeeGee said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

I don't see how that changes anything I said, but if you want me to be more specific:

Of all the terrible, inhumane things video games do, this joke is where people have a problem?

Are we not engaging in a discussion which was launched from another site? Obviously some people draw the line in a place which references something that has happened to people. Alien Invasions tend not to offend so much as entertain.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Sogeman
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@DeeGee said:

@Sogeman said:

Haven't played the game but I'm sure he throws out some cheesy one liners if you blow up some strippers or whatever as well. There's only a problem with that scene if you find it funny. The fact that the character finds it funny isn't a problem, it's expected.
    perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By perilator666

I was raped by aliens... or was it dickwolves?

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By DeeGee

@Sogeman:True, I do question anybody who finds this game funny.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By musubi
    @zoskia:  Point in case  getting raped by dick wolves is still goddamn hilarious.  Thank god for Penny Arcade for having a sense of humor.
    Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Synaptic

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

If you can't tell the difference between sexual assault and people being murdered then you need help.

Funny in a sense, cause I definitely put those two on the same level. I'd be ok with the death penalty for rape. I know for a fact I wouldn't think twice before killing someone if they raped someone I knew. Some people say stuff like "you don't know how hard it is until you're faced with the prospect" but that's bs. I'd hate someone like that so much I wouldn't feel a thing.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Demoskinos said:
    @Metal_Mills:   Oh, so murder is less offensive to you than rape?  Because if it is then you seriously need your mental health checked out.
    Someones body being used for its purpose without your express consent is significantly less offensive to me than murdering someone, yes. One causes mental distress for a while but people move on, one is fucking killing someone.

I'll skip out on the doctors this time though, because that seems rational to me.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#82  Edited By Afroman269

@Hailinel

Not having played the full game, I'd like to know how accurate this description actually is before I make any judgment.

It's mostly accurate and better yet, go watch Giant Bombs Quicklook to see most of that stuff.

And people will still choose to defend this game.....there are some disturbed ass people in here.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By KaosAngel

Someone needs to make a poll to ask if it's better to be killed or rape.

Get to it and don't disappoint.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By metal_mills

@Demoskinos said:

@Metal_Mills: Oh, so murder is less offensive to you than rape? Because if it is then you seriously need your mental health checked out.

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

Again, you try and flip my analogy oatz and fail at it. How does saying innocents being raped and soldiers dying are different things mean I can't tell the difference? Derp. And soldiers getting killed is in tons of games. Doesn't matter if they are men or women soldiers, they are soldiers. They are fighting, they get killed. That's not even murder at that point. Even when you shoot innocent people in GTA they aren't crying on their knees begging to be spared, are they? It's the context. They are tied up, stripped down naked being raped while crying and making puking/gagging noises while Duke cracks a joke and blows their brains out. It's the scene and way it's shown.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By sasnake

Sigh, there is no rape. The women have underwear on and they get pregnated by things that jump out the eggs and attach to their face, just like they try to do to Duke if one jumps at you, ie, just like Aliens. Ppl need to play the damn game before jumping to shitty conclusions.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By metal_mills

@Pinworm45 said:

@Demoskinos said:
    @Metal_Mills: Oh, so murder is less offensive to you than rape? Because if it is then you seriously need your mental health checked out.
    Someones body being used for its purpose without your express consent is significantly less offensive to me than murdering someone, yes. One causes mental distress for a while but people move on, one is fucking killing someone. I'll skip out on the doctors this time though, because that seems rational to me.

Mental distress for a while then move on? Ugh. Fucking kids on these forums, man.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By musubi
    @Pinworm45: Oh really? People move on?   My mothers cousin just killed himself over the weekend because of  Post Traumatic Stress from being in Afghanistan on a tour of duty.      War is a goddamned  HORRIBLE thing and yet were putting it in our games for entertainment while  real human beings are being killed in the same scenarios we play in these military shooters? 
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Seems kinda tasteless. Then again, this entire game seems like a steaming pile of shit anyway, so it's probably best just to skip it altogether.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By J12088

At no point are they raped. Stop pissing and moaning over nothing. God i hate people who actually feel the need to blow this shit up. Who cares vote with your wallet.

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By perilator666

Duke Nukem 3D had this exact same thing in it. So why cry about it now?

No Caption Provided

The whole rape in entertainment media (games, movies etc.) thing in an entirely different discussion.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By KaosAngel

There's a lot of white knights and kids in here.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By christ0phe

It's not that bad

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#93  Edited By nohthink
    @Napalm: I agree with everything you said and the thing you posted except for one thing.

It's not really GearBox fault. I bet that was already in the game and GearBox simply just finished the damn game and shipped it. And I also bet they could not care less about Duke Nukem. They just wanted to ship it and they did. End of story.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#94  Edited By OmegaPirate

Metal Mills replies alone made it worth entering this thread 

You could of at least put a 'sterling' tag in the title though so i knew it was gonna be hyperbolic overblown bullshit that wasn't worth the time of day though

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By christ0phe
    @Napalm: Also, have you even watched the quicklook?
    Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What exactly are you guys arguing about, it's a dull shitty game trying to push some buttons. It's been rated appropriately, kids can't buy in theory and you don't have to either. What is there to argue and what is the point of discussing it, you're only raising the awareness of a game that absolutely doesn't deserve it.

If any of you are of the feeling it should be banned or anything like that then you're assholes. It's crude and shitty and offensive and nobody should play it but it absolutely has the right to be what it is.

Shady1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Shady1992

How someone can be okay with the violent killing of countless humans/aliens/creatures in all these games, but be offended by non-consensual sex is beyond me.  I know a couple girls who've been sexually abused, and they're a lot better off than anyone I met who got their head blown off with a chaingun

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#98  Edited By wrighteous86

@Shady1992 said:

How someone can be okay with the violent killing of countless humans/aliens/creatures in all these games, but be offended by non-consensual sex is beyond me. I know a couple girls who've been sexually abused, and they're a lot better off than anyone I met who got their head blown off with a chaingun

Human suffering is more disturbing than human death. We can empathize with suffering and pain. We can't empathize as well with death. It's common sense that it would elicit a more emotional response. We understand what it's like to be hurt or suffering. We pity those that we feel are helpless. That's why humans tend to show moral outrage over someone kicking a dog more than they do someone kicking another person. The dog appears more helpless and doesn't have the faculty to understand the situation.

I would find it easier to watch someone hang than I would to watch someone get their fingernails ripped out while they scream in pain. I'm sure you would too.

Shady1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Shady1992
    @Wrighteous86 said:

@Shady1992 said:

How someone can be okay with the violent killing of countless humans/aliens/creatures in all these games, but be offended by non-consensual sex is beyond me. I know a couple girls who've been sexually abused, and they're a lot better off than anyone I met who got their head blown off with a chaingun

Human suffering is more disturbing than human death. We can empathize with suffering and pain. We can't empathize as well with death. It's common sense that it would elicit a more emotional response. We understand what it's like to be hurt or suffering. We pity those that we feel are helpless. That's why humans tend to show moral outrage over someone kicking a dog more than they do someone kicking another person. The dog appears more helpless and doesn't have the faculty to understand the situation.

I would find it easier to watch someone hang than I would to watch someone get their fingernails ripped out while they scream in pain. I'm sure you would too.

You feel one way (as do many other people), I feel another; that doesn't mean you need to be like "NO YOUD BE X".  I'd be far more disturbed to watch some senseless public execution than to see someone tortured; at least the torture has potential for motivation of some sort.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#100  Edited By wrighteous86

@Shady1992: So you find Friday the 13th, where Jason kills people with a machete, harder to watch than Hostel, where people are dissected or amputated or tortured?

That's the equivalent in tone, by the way. In most video games, the people you kill fall to the ground or explode in a puff of red smoke. If you shoot an enemy in the gut, they don't fall to the ground and start crying, trying to put their intestines back inside as they struggle vainly to survive while bleeding out before crawling to your feet, leaving behind a trail of blood, and begging you to help them. They say "Argh!", fall to the ground, and disappear 30 seconds later, usually with no visible body damage aside from a red stain on their shirt.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.