Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Leave it to Obsidian to make a proper Fallout

• 87 results
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Chummy8

After reading this article I'm feeling a little bit better about this game and might actually buy it.  I was totally disappointed by the ending of Fallout 3 and it looks like it might be resolved in this new game.  ( I never bought the Broken Steel DLC even though I played through the game twice, once as a neutral character and once as an evil guy.  I didn't have it in me to play through a third time even though I had the good character already planned out.)

" Sawyer explains that Fallout: New Vegas' endings will tell the stories of the game's characters for decades after the main story, and obviously anything the player did post-endgame to change those events (say, killing a character who we've been told lives to old age) would make a mess of things    " 

Consider me excited. 

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

I'm willing to bet it's Fallout 3: 2. Not that that bothers me, but yeah.

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Aas

3.5 if more like it, waaaaaugh!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta

It's going to be so much better then fallout 3, for sure

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Interfect
    @Aas said:
    " 3.5 if more like it, waaaaaugh! "
    Awesome.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By MysteriousBob

I don't see the hype. Fallout 3 was vastly superior than its two prequels.

Marbazoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Marbazoid
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " I don't see the hype. Fallout 3 was vastly superior than its two prequels. "
    huh
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn
    @Marbazoid said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    huh "
    Not vastly, both 1 and 2 hold up surprisingly well if you can find a way to play them. They are great games. Although I agree 3 is the best.
    Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By ComradeKritstov

I can't imagine it being better than Fallout 3 (for me), but more Fallout 3 is never a bad thing in my mind. 

P.S. eww gamesradar

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TwoLines

So no exploration after the ending? That sucks.
    Why would you be excited after reading that?

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By ectoplasma
    @Marbazoid said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    huh "
    qft
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @MysteriousBob said:
    Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Nomin

IMO 3 is the absolute worst of the series. And Obsidian never makes a polished product, and never supports its product fully. They may make a more proper Fallout feeling game, but the game will be hampered with a lot of technical and gameplay issues without question.
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chummy8
    @Nomin said:
    " IMO 3 is the absolute worst of the series. And Obsidian never makes a polished product, and never supports its product fully. They may make a more proper Fallout feeling game, but the game will be hampered with a lot of technical and gameplay issues without question. "
    If anything Obsidian made a name for itself by making good follow up games to existing franchises.  Like what they did with KOTOR 2.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Driadon
    @TwoLines: Because endings that actually take in what you've done and explaining how it changed the world gives more impact to the world and your choices then "Oh, hey, you're done? Great here, have this canned ending and go off and do your own then. Toodles." 
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By ReyGitano
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @Marbazoid said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    huh "
    Not vastly, both 1 and 2 hold up surprisingly well if you can find a way to play them. They are great games. Although I agree 3 is the best. "
    I never found a way to play them -_-
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@MysteriousBob said:
    ?!
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwoLines
    @Driadon:  Fallout 1 and 2 had endings that showed you the outcome of your actions, and then let you play some more.
    And it wasn't broken.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Driadon
    @TwoLines: Out of the many many times I've played the original Fallouts, I never once realized that I could keep playing after the endings. 
    Huh.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By Cincaid
    @TwoLines said:
    " So no exploration after the ending? That sucks. Why would you be excited after reading that? "
    Say what? Now I'm sad. :(
    Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Kbm600
    @TekZero said:
    " @Nomin said:
    " IMO 3 is the absolute worst of the series. And Obsidian never makes a polished product, and never supports its product fully. They may make a more proper Fallout feeling game, but the game will be hampered with a lot of technical and gameplay issues without question. "
    If anything Obsidian made a name for itself by making good follow up games to existing franchises.  Like what they did with KOTOR 2. "
    Which was a broken game that was riddled with bugs.
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Chummy8

How was it broken?  I honestly thought it was the better of the two. 

JoshLarson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JoshLarson

Neverwinter Nights 2 was also buggy as hell, still is even after they released the Gold version and Mask of the Betrayer expansion. Alpha Protocol showed their sloppy QA process that either doesn't find glitches and hitches or finds them and decides to ship the game anyways. Obisidian is a great developer when it comes to ideas but poor when it comes to execution. I'll wait for the (hopefully fully patched) GOTY Edition that will inevitable come out next year with all of the DLC included for the same retail price as the original game.
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TwoLines
    @Driadon: You can play the second one after the ending. The first one just ends.
    SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SumDeus

I played Fallout 3 for the first time last week and when I finished it I asked my friends if they liked the ending. They all said yes...I was confused.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chummy8
    @JoshLarson said:
    " . I'll wait for the (hopefully fully patched) GOTY Edition that will inevitable come out next year with all of the DLC included for the same retail price as the original game. "
    Right.  That's my preferred way of buying games.  I see almost no reason to ever buy a game at full price at release.
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @MysteriousBob said:
    no not really. although the new fallout looks better, the first 2 gave you the ability to do anything really kill anybody you wanted, (even orphans) if your into that kind of stuff. and the stories of the first games are pretty good, also i like the isometric view alot 
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chummy8
    @pwnasaurus said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    no not really. although the new fallout looks better, the first 2 gave you the ability to do anything really kill anybody you wanted, (even orphans) if your into that kind of stuff. and the stories of the first games are pretty good, also i like the isometric view alot  "
    I loved that you could get married and then sell your wife into slavery.  The child killing was hardcore tho, since the entire town turns against you when you do it. 
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ZeroCast
    @TekZero said:
    " @JoshLarson said:
    " . I'll wait for the (hopefully fully patched) GOTY Edition that will inevitable come out next year with all of the DLC included for the same retail price as the original game. "
    Right.  That's my preferred way of buying games.  I see almost no reason to ever buy a game at full price at release. "
    I would agree with you if it was a game that I am not really interested in or looking forward to but if it was something like say, SC II or GT5 then it would be a different case and I would pay full price for the game on the same days its released.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60
    @Nomin said:
    Bethesda never makes polished products either.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    God I can't wait to bust into the .ini file for this game. Fallout 3 was fucking awesome for tweaking so a lot of the technical problems in the game could be fixed to a certain degree, on your own time of course.

And hey as long as they have better endings then that's cool. It could be a cool thing for future DLC's to support whatever decisions you made and let it play out in the new content. 

@TwoLines said:

" So no exploration after the ending? That sucks. Why would you be excited after reading that? "

DLC bro.
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CowMuffins
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    ?! "
    This is probably a kid who can't handle an RPG that doesn't auto-save every two seconds.
    Dr_VonBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dr_VonBoogie

I'm sure Obsidian won't mess this game up that badly.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Chummy8

I'll tell you one thing.  I'm getting this for the PC.  Even though I don't have a gaming PC...yet. 

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ghostiet
    @TekZero said:

" How was it broken?  I honestly thought it was the better of the two.  "

Never had any problems with the ending? The game was rushed, and the aforementioned ending is the biggest sign - it is so abrupt and unfinished it almost feels like it's from a different game - it was full of bugs and had many, many structural screw-ups, like the fact that one bad dialogue choice blocks the entire influence route with Bao-Dur.

The game was paced in a better way than KOTOR, the writing's more consistent and its "twist" better stands the test of time, though.

Obsidian is basically Troika. Both companies made of geniuses, who will come up with great story, dialogue, concepts and ideas, but without anyone to actually code that into a working game. Neverwinter Nights 2 is probably the worst programmed game I've ever seen (for example, the game posts everything it loads to the TEMP folder, often in multiple copies - so you can end up with 2 full modules of a city and 10 of a single skeleton - but someone screwed up and the game never deletes those files, so after 2 hours of playing you'll have 5 gigs bitten off your hard-drive). Oh, and it had an ending as wallbanging-inducing and fucked up as Fallout 3, so hey, we're on the road to oblivion (stealth pun!).

@MysteriousBob said:

Goddamn. Hell with the opinion (which is wrong, by the way), I have to point out one thing.

People, stop using the word "prequel" in the wrong meaning. A prequel is a supplement to a previous work, taking place before that work's events. Fallout 1 and 2 are  PREDECESSORS of Fallout 3, not prequels. Metal Gear Solid 3 is a prequel.

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Crocio
    @Hitchenson said:

" I'm willing to bet it's Fallout 3: 2. Not that that bothers me, but yeah. "

It is more of Fallout 3 as it actually has the continuity of FO 1 and 2 rather than being arbitrarily out of context.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dustpan
    @Mikemcn: You should see my computer try to play the first one. It's terrifying.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dustpan
    @TwoLines said:
    " @Driadon:  Fallout 1 and 2 had endings that showed you the outcome of your actions, and then let you play some more. And it wasn't broken. "
    Only Fallout 2, actually.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Evilsbane
    @TekZero said:
    " @Nomin said:
    If anything Obsidian made a name for itself by making good follow up games to existing franchises.  Like what they did with KOTOR 2. "
    I don't know if I'd call Kotor 2....good, OK maybe but that game was an unfinished buggy mess. it wasn't a bad game but...meh
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By FreakAche
    The negative attitudes towards Fallout 3 in this thread completely baffle me. Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think of The Elder Scrolls games? Because they're basically the same thing sans guns.
    Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Juvarial
    @FreakAche: I enjoyed all the Elder Scrolls games. 

Honestly though this whole obsidian thing is starting to get me worried.  
    This isnt the 90s. I'm not into paying for shit with serious technical issues.  
    Which i'm starting to feel will happen. This is blatant lazy development. 
    mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mau64

Yeah, I really hope the story is better than what was in Fallout 3. 

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By one_2nd
    @MysteriousBob said:
    There never was a prequel to Fallout 3. 
    Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Simulacrum
    @SlashseveN303: gog,com has both Fallout 1 and 2  for 5.99 each. 
    And yes, they're both compatible with modern computers.
    endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By endless_void

Fallout 3/Oblivion's engine is a broken pile of shit anyway, fix all the technical problems first before releasing not just 1 game, but 2 (soon to be 3) games.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By ReyGitano
    @Simulacrum said:
    " @SlashseveN303: gog,com has both Fallout 1 and 2  for 5.99 each.  And yes, they're both compatible with modern computers. "
    Thank god... this was the first real thing in my inbox since people started spamming wall posts.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By jorbear

Fallout: New Vegas = The real Fallout 3.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By carlthenimrod

After playing the debacle that was Alpha Protocol, I am extremely wary of this game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning it, but I'm not convinced either way.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

It still sort of tells me they just do not wanna have to adjust it for open world. Just like what happened to Fallout 3. And I am betting we will see some DLC to open up the end like Broken Steel.

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SonicBoyster

Fallout 3 was substandard on just about every conceivable level.  It was ugly, it was clunky, and a lot of the player selectable dialogue options were total garbage.  Somehow, though, the game was still entertaining to play through, and I put my fair share of hours into it.  Obsidian getting more time with the old engine can only lead to technical improvements over what they already had, right?  It isn't like they have to code this one from the ground up.

Unfortunately I have no love for Obsidian Entertainment.  As has been mentioned a number of times throughout this thread, these guys are totally flaky (sketchy support for older games), and are not strong in the technical aspects of their game development.  Neverwinter Knights 2 was a terribly buggy game, KOTOR 2 was incomplete because they couldn't structure their development time in such a way as to allow them to complete the title, Alpha Protocol was Alpha Protocol.  To be totally fair, though, Mask of the Betrayer was way more polished than vanilla Neverwinter Nights 2, and had a very satisfying ending using slides in a structure quite similar to that of Fallout 1 and 2.  Again, though, they aren't programming this engine from the ground up.  If they can make some slight improvements on the Fallout 3 engine and maybe plug some smoother animations into it I think they'll be alright from a technical standpoint.  From there it's all about refined gameplay and some serious storytelling.  I have faith in the dialogue trees, I have faith in Obsidian's ability to end a game.  For everything else, I'll wait to read the view.

I know that some of these guys (Chris/Chris/Feargus) worked on Fallout 2, and I absolutely have faith in these guys to make Fallout New Vegas the Fallout 3, narratively speaking, that Fallout 2 fans were looking for... I just hope they can get something out that is actually finished and polished this time around.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.