Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Leave it to Obsidian to make a proper Fallout

• 87 results
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By SpiralStairs

Fallout 1 is one of the greatest CRPG's ever made, Fallout 3 doesn't even come close.

Hopefully New Vegas will be a more interesting place, apparently the cities and towns will be more interesting this time around.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#52  Edited By Driadon

From what I saw at PAX, this game is along the lines of what most expect: someone taking Fallout 3, adding more Fallout and, well, that's pretty much it. I didn't see much improvement to the animations, didn't see any dialogue or got a chance to try the Hardcore mode.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By galiant
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @Marbazoid said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " I don't see the hype. Fallout 3 was vastly superior than its two prequels. "
    huh "
    Not vastly, both 1 and 2 hold up surprisingly well if you can find a way to play them. They are great games. Although I agree 3 is the best. "
    I also enjoyed 3 more than I did 1 and 2. I got the Fallout collection box for next to nothing, but I found that playing those games was such a hassle because they're so old! The user interface has not aged well and navigating your way around a map can be really confusing when there are lots of buildings and pathways. I finished 1 but gave up on 2, unfortunately. 

I'm still excited to see what Fallout: New Vegas will be like because they're using the same engine as Fallout 3 but with their own tweaks, and I feel that it just can't go wrong from there. Even if this game turns out to be more Fallout 3 in a Vegas setting, count me in, I'm sold. I've played Fallout 3 to death and can't wait for more!
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By CaptainObvious

Anyone else getting a ye olde western vibe from New Vegas? I dig that.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Raymayne

Why does no endgame make this a better game than Fallout 3? =/ The whole fun of the experience (for me, at least) is going around that world exploring and finding new loot and crazy missions to do. Fallout 3 had all of that, along with a ton of moral decisions that had a big impact on the world, and they still managed to include an endgame in DLC that didn't really ruin the experience at all, in fact it made it much better because you could actually change the world, and then go experience it, you won't have that after the ending of NV. Now in New Vegas it'll just be a case of having to save before the last mission, play through it to see the ending, and then load up my save again if I want to actually *play* the game.

SimbaDoozle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#56  Edited By SimbaDoozle

If the combat isn't fixed then it won't hold me for long. The idea of running backwards for the whole game is kind of off-putting.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

I don't know why people are so confident in Obsidian. Thus far, they've been little more than a B-squad BioWare. You'd think it'd be hard to mess up a sequel when you're working from a finished engine and have a ton of pre-existing assets to draw from, but they proved it's quite possible.  

If Obsidian's track record is any indication, I expect New Vegas to have an inexplicably worse framerate despite looking exactly the same and have a kind of decent story right up until the end when they completely ruin everything. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have another good Fallout game. Fallout 3 was absolutely incredible and I'd love to have more. But Obsidian really doesn't have the history for me to expect they'll be able to do what Bethesda did, let alone more.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By JoeyRavn

Don't worry, people. I give it a day before someone makes a mod for the PC version that allows you to explore after the ending. They did it with Fallout 3, they'll do it with New Vegas. Heck, back in the day, there were "mods" to remove the time limit in the original Fallout, so you could do everything as slow as you wanted without worrying about running out of time to find the Water Chip.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @TekZero said:
    " After reading this article I'm feeling a little bit better about this game and might actually buy it.  I was totally disappointed by the ending of Fallout 3 and it looks like it might be resolved in this new game.  ( I never bought the Broken Steel DLC even though I played through the game twice, once as a neutral character and once as an evil guy.  I didn't have it in me to play through a third time even though I had the good character already planned out.) " Sawyer explains that Fallout: New Vegas' endings will tell the stories of the game's characters for decades after the main story, and obviously anything the player did post-endgame to change those events (say, killing a character who we've been told lives to old age) would make a mess of things    "  Consider me excited.  "
    They're just gonna sell you an open-ending for $10.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @TekZero said:
    " @Nomin said:
    " IMO 3 is the absolute worst of the series. And Obsidian never makes a polished product, and never supports its product fully. They may make a more proper Fallout feeling game, but the game will be hampered with a lot of technical and gameplay issues without question. "
    If anything Obsidian made a name for itself by making good follow up games to existing franchises.  Like what they did with KOTOR 2. "
    KOTOR 2 was bugged awfully and some of those bugs were gamebreaking while others were never patched.  Have you actually played KOTOR 2?
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By FourWude
    @Raymayne said:
    " Why does no endgame make this a better game than Fallout 3? =/ The whole fun of the experience (for me, at least) is going around that world exploring and finding new loot and crazy missions to do. Fallout 3 had all of that, along with a ton of moral decisions that had a big impact on the world, and they still managed to include an endgame in DLC that didn't really ruin the experience at all, in fact it made it much better because you could actually change the world, and then go experience it, you won't have that after the ending of NV. Now in New Vegas it'll just be a case of having to save before the last mission, play through it to see the ending, and then load up my save again if I want to actually *play* the game. "
    It's called a story dickhead. And it has genuine closure. If you want to experience all the game has, then do so before the last few missions. Simple. How was that for you?
    Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By killer_meatballs

I loved Fallout 3.  Played it twice and sunk many, many, hours into it.  I have no choice but to get New Vegas

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By SonicBoyster
    @FourWude said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    " Why does no endgame make this a better game than Fallout 3? =/ The whole fun of the experience (for me, at least) is going around that world exploring and finding new loot and crazy missions to do. Fallout 3 had all of that, along with a ton of moral decisions that had a big impact on the world, and they still managed to include an endgame in DLC that didn't really ruin the experience at all, in fact it made it much better because you could actually change the world, and then go experience it, you won't have that after the ending of NV. Now in New Vegas it'll just be a case of having to save before the last mission, play through it to see the ending, and then load up my save again if I want to actually *play* the game. "
    It's called a story dickhead. And it has genuine closure. If you want to experience all the game has, then do so before the last few missions. Simple. How was that for you? "
    Quoted for truth!  I wont go so far as to call him a dickhead, but sandboxes are for kitties and kiddies.  Give me a world with a coherent storyline.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm not really bothered by the inability to keep playing after the ending, so long as the ending is good.  If it ends up being a slideshow, that's fine, as long as the conclusion is satisfying and it makes sense.  I played Fallout 2 a bunch of times, but never felt compelled to keep going after the ending. 

What I'd really like to see is less hand-holding in the main storyline.  Again, if you look at FO2, the main story basically consisted of two quests, with very little direction on how to complete them.  Because you weren't sure exactly where to go, you ended up exploring much more of the world and investigating everything you could find to try and get leads.  If you follow the main quest line in FO3, you run between a handful of locations and can miss out on a huge portion of the map - aside from your sojourn to Paradise Falls, you don't need to go to Maryland at all, for example.

I really have confidence in Feargus Urquhart, Chis Avellone et al. to make a good Fallout game, because they've done it in the past.  But of course it's going to be buggy at launch.  Forget Obsidian's track record and look at Fallout's record - tons of bugs in 3, tons of bugs in the older ones, hell, Fallout 2 is practically unplayable without a patch.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#65  Edited By veektarius
    @Gooddoggy: And unfinished even with them.  I remember a couple quests, like, I think, one to arrange for ghouls to provide power to this NCR town?  that just weren't possible to finish.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#66  Edited By citizenkane

Definitely really excited about this game.  Gonna trade in two games to help pay for it.  ^__^

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#67  Edited By FancySoapsMan

By the time I reach the ending I probably won't feel like playing anymore Fallout anyways.

Besides, I never do the main mission right away in these types of games. Usually I wait until I have nothing else left to do.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68  Edited By TheHBK

Well I will be looking for this game to be on sale on Black Friday.  Maybe I can snag it for 30 or 35 bucks like I did Dragon Age.  But No exploration after the ending sucks ass.  Maybe I want to complete the story but keep doing the side quests after.  I mean, Oblivion did it nicely.  There are characters you are not allowed to kill in that game.  And its awesome when people greet you as the People's Champion.  Or whatever else you did.  Savior of Kavatch.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Obsidian are notorious for being very adventurous with their concepts and ideas but fail miserably in the course of their execution of said concepts and ideas. This game is not going to be as good as a lot of people are hoping it will be.

It is going to suck.

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Obsidian

You're welcome.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#71  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @TekZero said:
    " @pwnasaurus said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " I don't see the hype. Fallout 3 was vastly superior than its two prequels. "
    no not really. although the new fallout looks better, the first 2 gave you the ability to do anything really kill anybody you wanted, (even orphans) if your into that kind of stuff. and the stories of the first games are pretty good, also i like the isometric view alot  "
    I loved that you could get married and then sell your wife into slavery.  The child killing was hardcore tho, since the entire town turns against you when you do it.  "
    Man, this thread is making me sad because I really want to play Fallout 2 but I can't find my Fallout Collection disc :(
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#72  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I just hope the FPS aspects of the game are actually fun this time.  That vats thing just destroyed any hope of a fun shooter.
    Bongos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Bongos

They named the .223 pistol "That gun". That's it I'm ready for this game.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ozzdog12
    @Laketown:  I disagree
    ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ozzdog12
    @TekZero said:
    " @Nomin said:
    " IMO 3 is the absolute worst of the series. And Obsidian never makes a polished product, and never supports its product fully. They may make a more proper Fallout feeling game, but the game will be hampered with a lot of technical and gameplay issues without question. "
    If anything Obsidian made a name for itself by making good follow up games to existing franchises.  Like what they did with KOTOR 2. "
    Yeah cause they showed they cant create anything on their own that isnt garbage...i.e Alpha Protocol
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#76  Edited By FreakAche

How is this a proper Fallout, while Fallout 3 isn't? This game is in the exact same style as Fallout 3. If you're talking about storytelling stuff, I don't think a lot of people (myself included) really care about the main plot in these big open world roleplaying games.

Fallout 3 is my second favorite Elder Scrolls style game (Morrowind is number one), and I'm sure that this will be more of the same awesomeness.

Voldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Voldy

Relax. We will get a strong ending and exploration eventually. Mods will appear for PC Version, but I expect a DLC will increase the level cap and add free roam post end game. Like Point Lookout did. So, the best of both worlds, strong ending and exploration!

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#78  Edited By obcdexter
    @sins_of_mosin said:
    " I just hope the FPS aspects of the game are actually fun this time.  That vats thing just destroyed any hope of a fun shooter. "
    "That VATS thing" IS Fallout.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#79  Edited By Hailinel
    @TwoLines said:
    " So no exploration after the ending? That sucks. Why would you be excited after reading that? "
    Because the ending of Fallout 3 was shit.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Ghostiet
    @JerichoBlyth said:
    " Obsidian are notorious for being very adventurous with their concepts and ideas but fail miserably in the course of their execution of said concepts and ideas. This game is not going to be as good as a lot of people are hoping it will be.  It is going to suck. "

This, again. They've topped themselves with Alpha Protocol - epic amounts of freedom, never seen in any previous game + a great story, but who gives a damn if it's hard to actually play the game? The final product could've been bigger than anything released this year, but since Obsidian has plenty visionaries, but no one to program the thing, results were predictable.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Rebirth1337

Eh Fallout 3.5 wouldn't be bad. You could look at as just a big DLC and I'd buy it.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ozzdog12
    @Voldy said:

" Relax. We will get a strong ending and exploration eventually. Mods will appear for PC Version, but I expect a DLC will increase the level cap and add free roam post end game. Like Point Lookout did. So, the best of both worlds, strong ending and exploration! "

I believe your thinking about Broken Steel man, not Point Lookout, that raised the lvl cap and extended the main story
    Cynical_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Cynical_Gamer

I'm still weary about buying the game after being burned by Obsidian after KOTOR2. They haven't made anything good. I wish they wouldn't embargo the reviews till Tuesday. What are they afraid of?

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#84  Edited By Soap
    @Fragstoff said:
    " Obsidian is the company other more successful company whore sequels out too when they have more important things to do. This game just looks like a big fallout 3 DLC,   "
    It pretty much is, I played it at Eurogamer and it was Fallout 3.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Cynical_Gamer said:
    " I'm still weary about buying the game after being burned by Obsidian after KOTOR2. They haven't made anything good. I wish they wouldn't embargo the reviews till Tuesday. What are they afraid of? "
    Sales, probably. Seeing how they are given a new chance after every game and patience is starting to run out, it's justified.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#86  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @obcdexter said:
    " @sins_of_mosin said:
    " I just hope the FPS aspects of the game are actually fun this time.  That vats thing just destroyed any hope of a fun shooter. "
    "That VATS thing" IS Fallout. "

No wonder Fallout 3 was a bore for half the game.  Get rid of vats and the engine, start over and get it right!
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#87  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

lol yep leave it to obisdian to make a bug filled mess.
    I've yet to play a bathesda game or Obsidian game that wasn't bug filled but Obsidian takes the crown for bug filled to the point its trash.  I got vegas launch day it crashe 6 times within the first hour I had to uninstall it on the 360 delete my save and start over just to get rid of the bug...I'll be waiting a few months to actually play the game right now my friend is borrowing it till then I'll wait till atleast 2 patches come out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.