Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Old-ass engine/graphics

• 122 results
    brandt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By brandt

So. I love Fallout, and I know where it's strengths lie, but I can't get past how bad this game looks. 
     I've never been a graphics nerd but... this game looks bad, animations in particular. 
    Somehow it breaks the immersion a little. 

Fallout 3 wasn't on top of the game when it came out but it was totally acceptable then, especially  
    for such a huge game. However now when I look at the trailers for New Vegas all I can think of is how bad it looks. 
    I'm sure it's kind of related to the novelty of it being kind of gone because of how similar FO3 and New Vegas looks but... 

So. Am I the only one that thinks "oh, 2006" when I see the trailers? Am I just not right in the head? 

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Azteck

Right there with you, pal. Then again, I'm kind of a graphics whore.

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By RankRabbit

All I see is potential for all the same glitches.

OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By OdinsThunder

The graphics look even worse than Fallout 3, I think it's the art, it just seems shonky for some reason. 

I'm still not decided if I'll be getting ths yet.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor
    @RankRabbit said:
    " All I see is potential for all the same glitches. "
    Also, it's Obsidian and their output this gen has hardly been outstanding so far (if interesting at the very least). 

Still, I wasn't a huge Fallout 3 fan back then partially due to the tech limitations and the way they told their story so I'm probably not the most qualified to judge this game.
    MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MikeFightNight

All I can remember abou fallout 3 was when I first stepped into the wasteland and thought it looked amazing.  I also love graphics but until I have the game on my T.V and see it with my own eyes I can't comment, and if it looks exactly the same as Fallout 3 I can't complain.

brandt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By brandt

Well. Now I feel much better. I thought I was the only one who wasn't mad hyped about this game.  

Probably gonna be good though; fuck, I play minecraft. Graphics are not an issue.   
    But still, you just  get used to it. I now think DVD movies are low quality, didn't mean too, it just happened.  

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob

The graphics are fine, its the animation that bothers me. Not going to stop me from getting this.

OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OdinsThunder

I think it's very unlikely that new vegas will be better than fallout 3, and if that's the general consensus after the game is released, I won't be buying an inferior version of a game released two years ago.

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RankRabbit
    @Vitor said:
    " @RankRabbit said:
    Also, it's Obsidian and their output this gen has hardly been outstanding so far (if interesting at the very least).  Still, I wasn't a huge Fallout 3 fan back then partially due to the tech limitations and the way they told their story so I'm probably not the most qualified to judge this game. "
    I played through Fallout 3, but your points all sound about right.
    OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OdinsThunder
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " The graphics are fine, its the animation that bothers me. Not going to stop me from getting this. "
    Even if it's crap? or more likely.. mediocre?
    Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#12  Edited By Valkyr

I have never really liked Fallout 3 graphics, they look very static, old gen and unpolished

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vitor
    @RankRabbit: I was a back Oblivion fan back when that first came out but I just felt that Fallout 3 didn't really  advance on anything that they had done there and was a step back in some regards (VATS = worst combat system ever due to a complete lack of tactical depth - what reason was there to ever aim for anything but the head?).
    Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Tylea002

Well, if these graphics mean it'll run on my laptop, I'm all for it.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Aronman789

The hell? I think the graphics for fallout are still damn good. Graphic whores, that isn't what makes a game, its nice, I won't doubt that, but it isn't necessary, though in some games it is, if Dwarf Fortress switched from ASCII to even Haven and Hearth graphics, it would be ten times better.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aronman789
    @Vitor said:
    " @RankRabbit said:
    Also, it's Obsidian and their output this gen has hardly been outstanding so far (if interesting at the very least).  Still, I wasn't a huge Fallout 3 fan back then partially due to the tech limitations and the way they told their story so I'm probably not the most qualified to judge this game. "
    The only reason Obsidian's games haven't been great this generation is because they lack the money, but with ZeniMax (owners of Bethesda) giving them the money, I have no doubt that they will be able to make New Vegas a great game, they are the creators of the Fallout series.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By guiseppe

If a game is good, it's good regardless of how dated it looks. In other words, the graphics don't bother me, but the amount of doubt surrounding this game from other people has me worried.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kohe321

I remember thinking that playing fallout 3... But after 2 hours I was so drawn into the story and options that I forgot all about it.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By finstern
    @RankRabbit: My copy for Xbox was delivered on friday, I've played about 20 hours so far (no weekend plans) and well, I've run across just about every glitch from Fallout 3 and even some new ones. Fall into rock geometry unable to escape? Check Perpetual load screen? Check. Tons of other familiar ones too. What's really annoying is the companion wheel is mostly busted, if you open someones inventory from it and give them armor to hold and they cant wear said armor, it will just say "so and so cant wear said armor" so I was like fine, I just wanted him to hold it. Check it later when I go to sell it and its not there, turns out it just falls on the floor when you try give it to him. However if you open the talk interface and use storage that way it works fine... Another broken companion feature is telling them to be passive, they will still run miles to punch the shit out an enemy if they spot one. 

It's a great game but ugh, it makes me sad when I see these things happening.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimbo

I think it's more of an art design issue than a tech issue (though that certainly isn't helping matters).  I know the wasteland needs to look drab, but Vegas itself should be an oasis of light and colour.  Instead they've somehow managed to make the strip look even duller than the wasteland.  I don't know why they keep choosing to show IRL Vegas in their trailers, all it does is emphasize how lifeless their own version looks.

There's definitely massive room for improvement in the combat.  VATS has tons of potential, they just need to use it properly.  The player should be making decisions about how to best use VATS to handle the situation around them ('this thing charges at me, so I need to quickly take out its legs' etc.) not just using it to go from one cheap headshot to the next.

As ever, Obsidian's strength is their ability to tell a decent story.  If they can get that right then any other issues won't seem so bad.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FritzDude

I dont play Fallout for it's graphics, but it's customization on building your class and doing quests, and of course the crazy characters, places and weapons.  

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By RIDEBIRD

It's a great game.  If you loved Fallout 3, you will love this. You get over the graphics.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Scooper

The models, shading, animations and colouring all look very amaturish from all I've seen. It really looks like a mod house did it all on a tiny budget.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By endless_void
    @Jimbo said:
    " I think it's more of an art design issue than a tech issue (though that certainly isn't helping matters).  I know the wasteland needs to look drab, but Vegas itself should be an oasis of light and colour.  Instead they've somehow managed to make the strip look even duller than the wasteland.  I don't know why they keep choosing to show IRL Vegas in their trailers, all it does is emphasize how lifeless their own version looks.

There's definitely massive room for improvement in the combat.  VATS has tons of potential, they just need to use it properly.  The player should be making decisions about how to best use VATS to handle the situation around them ('this thing charges at me, so I need to quickly take out its legs' etc.) not just using it to go from one cheap headshot to the next.  As ever, Obsidian's strength is their ability to tell a decent story.  If they can get that right then any other issues won't seem so bad. "
    Absolutely agreed
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brandt:  
    Meh, while I kind of agree with you, I can still totally play Fallout 3 or even Oblivion and enjoy them.  Also, texture packs will be released remarkably fast for the PC version.
    Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jared

Just played Fallout 3 on my PC the other day at 1920x1080 with maxed out settings, still looks very good!

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By jorbear

I don't really mind, I just hope that the bugs are not going to ruin the experience. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't Fallout 3 using a modified Oblivion engine? Or am I just imagining this, either way yes the engine is old.

The graphics do not bother me but I won't fully be able to tell until I play it.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29  Edited By Cube

Seriously, Fallout 3 looked like shit and so does this. Doesn't mean the game won't be good.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By nick_verissimo

I've been playing a lot of PS2 games lately, so graphically I can handle it.  Sure, Fallout 3 didn't look great, but after the initial shock of how poor the game looked I really got sucked into the world and didn't even start doing the main mission stuff until about 9 hours of playtime.   The only thing really preventing me from enjoying this game is the fact that I may not get to play it for a while seeing as I'm in school and the fact that I really want to check out Castlevania, Enslaved, Black Ops and Fable 3 are a little higher on the pecking order for me.  Too much stuff man...

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By trophyhunter

You people are whats wrong with the world

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BraveToaster

The graphics don't look so hot, but I'm still getting this game.

J0n3s1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By J0n3s1

Fallout 3 looked bad in 2008 and this looks just as bad but two years later.. I'm not a graphic whore so it doesn't bother me that much but for me animations are much bigger part of the experience and they often have significant effect to how believable acting looks. Too bad the animations are even worse than the graphics. -.-

Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#34  Edited By RelentlessKnight
    @Finstern said:

" @RankRabbit: My copy for Xbox was delivered on friday, I've played about 20 hours so far (no weekend plans) and well, I've run across just about every glitch from Fallout 3 and even some new ones. Fall into rock geometry unable to escape? Check Perpetual load screen? Check. Tons of other familiar ones too. What's really annoying is the companion wheel is mostly busted, if you open someones inventory from it and give them armor to hold and they cant wear said armor, it will just say "so and so cant wear said armor" so I was like fine, I just wanted him to hold it. Check it later when I go to sell it and its not there, turns out it just falls on the floor when you try give it to him. However if you open the talk interface and use storage that way it works fine... Another broken companion feature is telling them to be passive, they will still run miles to punch the shit out an enemy if they spot one.  It's a great game but ugh, it makes me sad when I see these things happening. "

what a shame, after 2 years they didn't improve on the glitches in that game... but still I'm going to buy it
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dustpan

I'm not a graphics man myself, but I still think Fallout 3 and Oblivion look great to this day.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DaemonBlack
    @Jimbo said:
    " I think it's more of an art design issue than a tech issue (though that certainly isn't helping matters).  I know the wasteland needs to look drab, but Vegas itself should be an oasis of light and colour.  Instead they've somehow managed to make the strip look even duller than the wasteland.  I don't know why they keep choosing to show IRL Vegas in their trailers, all it does is emphasize how lifeless their own version looks.

There's definitely massive room for improvement in the combat.  VATS has tons of potential, they just need to use it properly.  The player should be making decisions about how to best use VATS to handle the situation around them ('this thing charges at me, so I need to quickly take out its legs' etc.) not just using it to go from one cheap headshot to the next.  As ever, Obsidian's strength is their ability to tell a decent story.  If they can get that right then any other issues won't seem so bad. "
    I love fallout, and this is the most fair and intelligent criticism I've seen for this game. I completely agree.
    JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JokerFrown

Oh Graphical Debates.  I've missed you.  Its like people saying that Dead Rising 2 has horrid graphics.  Well when there are that many characters being rendered on screen, of course things take a hit.  And isn't New Vegas using the same engine as Fallout 3?  I remember 3 looking like "poo" from the trailers and looking amazing when I played it.  New Vegas should be the same. 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#38  Edited By Geno

The whole game looks like a pile of mud to me. I realize that's sort of the look they're going for but it's totally overboard. It borders on PS2 graphics. And you're spot on with the animation stuff, the modern Fallout games have some of the WORST animation I've ever seen. What's the point of a large immersive open world if each and every character within it is a stiff robot with dead eyes? I must add that the voice work is also terrible. 

Luckily, the PC version will probably be highly moddable like the first one. I'm going to be replacing literally every asset in that game like I did with the first. 

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By finstern
    @Geno: Bar a few random NPC's New Vegas has pretty amazing voice acting. Loads of famous people, Felica Day, Michael Hogan, Danny Trejo, Zachary Levi, Mathew Perry, Michael Dorn and Rene Auberjonois to name a few of the more famous ones. But in general just about every NPC has had a different voice from the usual "Bethesda 12" 

Only faction that I'm not so sure about is the NCR they all seem to sound the same.
    fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fentonalpha

The graphics look dated to me but I'm holding out to see how it will look in action on my rig.  If the graphics are poor but the game area is doubled it's fine by me... mind you Just Cause 2 did a fine mix of both.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By shivermetimbers

Fallout games have been known because of their grimy-grainy nature. I like it that way because it's something different from the high polygon bright and shiny graphics.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By meteora

I hate the graphics for this game. The colour choices are well, I don't like them. The same goes with Fallout 3. All dark blue (subway/buildings) and brown (landscape).

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mmmslash

If graphics are going to limit your enjoyment of a game, I genuinely feel sorry for you.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lukeweizer

All I see is a Bethesda game, which makes me happy.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By warxsnake

It's the oblivion engine. 

I can stand the visuals, for an RPG they are decent; what I can't stand though is the animation workflow they use. All those robotic animations put me off and overwrite any sense of immersion every other aspect of the game tries so hard to achieve. That's more a workflow pipeline issue with animators and scriptors and integration tools rather than the engine, but whatever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lukeweizer said:
    " All I see is a Bethesda game, which makes me happy. "
    Yo but it's not a bethesda game.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#47  Edited By Hailinel
    @Aronman789 said:
    " @Vitor said:
    " @RankRabbit said:
    The only reason Obsidian's games haven't been great this generation is because they lack the money, but with ZeniMax (owners of Bethesda) giving them the money, I have no doubt that they will be able to make New Vegas a great game, they are the creators of the Fallout series. "
    Sega gave Obsidian a consider extension in delivering Alpha Protocol.  If the game they put out at release is what we got, I'd love to see what Obsidian had around the original release date.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Animasta
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Aronman789 said:
    " @Vitor said:
    " @RankRabbit said:
    The only reason Obsidian's games haven't been great this generation is because they lack the money, but with ZeniMax (owners of Bethesda) giving them the money, I have no doubt that they will be able to make New Vegas a great game, they are the creators of the Fallout series. "
    Sega gave Obsidian a consider extension in delivering Alpha Protocol.  If the game they put out at release is what we got, I'd love to see what Obsidian had around the original release date. "
    do you mean the delay from 09 to 10? because they never developed the game any further during that (that was just a push back because of marketing reasons)
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @InfamousBIG said:
    " @Lukeweizer said:
    " All I see is a Bethesda game, which makes me happy. "
    Yo but it's not a bethesda game. "
    True. 

But it is essentially the same as Fallout 3, and I loved Fallout 3 and Oblivion. So, I'm just looking forward to having a world to explore.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ryanwho

They could have made this in Rage. They're doing it like this so they can reuse models, textures, and scripts wholesale.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.